Order of the Garter, Ceremonies and Information 1: 2003 - 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for the resurrection, but here's the video I shot at the procession:

YouTube - Garter Procession - June 2008

(Sorry for the picture shaking when Camilla gets there, it was hard to see through the route liners)

Last edited:
Many Thanks....

Hi WBenson,

Thank you very much for this video. I am very happy to see it and hope to take in the Garter ceremony next year along with the Trooping and Royal Ascot.

You had a very good vantage point even though the one bobbie was in the way!

Thanks again, :flowers:
Larry

Thanks so much for this video, WBenson! Besides the chance to see the pageantry and the Royal Family members, I found it interesting to listen to the comments of the bystanders and to see the children in their school uniforms (at least I assume that's why those little girls were dressed alike).
:)

Here are some old pictures from the Order of the Garter I found at Gettyimages. I thought they would be fun to share.

1911: Edward, Prince of Wales, wearing robes of the order of the Garter. (Photo by Keystone/Getty Images)

David looks awfully young here and he looks like he's quite embarassed at his frilly uniform. Poor boy!

circa 1911: King Manoel II Of Portugal, second son of King Carlos I, he became king when his father and elder brother were assassinated in 1908. He was made a Knight of the Order of the Garter by King George V in 1911. (Photo by Keystone/Getty Images)

This was a royal I knew little about. I wonder what his relationship to the Windsors was. Apparently King George installed a lot of new knights after he came to the throne.

15th June 1912: King George V of Great Britain (1865 - 1936) and Queen Mary (1867 - 1953) in robes of the Order of the Garter during a Royal Pageant at Windsor. (Photo by Topical Press Agency/Getty Images)

Queen Mary as always looking impeccably regal in her Garter robes. She looks almost taller than her husband here.

Princess Elizabeth Banners for Order of Garter hanging in the College of Arms . (Photo by William Sumits//Time Life Pictures/Getty Images)

Here are the Queen's banners when she was first installed as a Knight of the Garter by her father.

23rd April 1948: King George VI (1895 - 1952) and Queen Elizabeth (1900 - 2002) in full regalia during the 600th anniversary of the Order of the Garter ceremony at Windsor Castle, Berkshire. (Photo by Central Press/Getty Images)

King George and Queen Elizabeth looking appropriately regal during a gorgeous ceremony to celebrate the 600th anniversary of the Order. I imagine that was a very impressive ceremony.

Traditions, Ceremonies, pic: 23rd April 1948, General view inside St, George's Chapel, Windsor during the installation of Members of the Order of the Garter (Photo by Popperfoto/Getty Images)

An older picture of the chapel where the knights are installed. I imagine it looks quite impressive for a new knight first joining.

16th June 1969: Charles, Prince of Wales at Windsor Castle, Berkshire before a procession of the Most Noble Order of the Garter. (Photo by Fox Photos/Getty Images)

Prince Charles' installation as Knight of the Garter. The Queen had mercy on him and did not make him wear the embarassing uniform that David had had to. He also looks incredibly young.

and a newer picture

WINDSOR, UNITED KINGDOM - MAY 14: The Quire In St. George's Chapel. Above The Garter Stalls Hang The Banners Of The Knights Of The Garter Below Which Are Displayed Their Crests, Helmets And Swords.

This is a color view of the chapel above and is where Edward and Sophie got married in addition to being the home chapel of the Order.

Enjoy!

I guess the contenders are Camilla, Harry and Sophie, though I think it unlikely that any of them may get it in the Queen's life time.

Considering that Prince Andrew and Edward got their Garter only in 2006(at 46, 42 ages) I think that Prince Henry will have to wait some more years to get his Garter.
As for Sophie, as far as I know female members of the Garter were either consorts, or Princesses of the blood(Princess Anne and Alexandra).
So, as much the Queen loves Sophie, I dont think that she will be awarded the Garter.
IMO Camilla will be the next Garter lady at the ascension of Charles.

Considering that Prince Andrew and Edward got their Garter only in 2006(at 46, 42 ages) I think that Prince Henry will have to wait some more years to get his Garter.
As for Sophie, as far as I know female members of the Garter were either consorts, or Princesses of the blood(Princess Anne and Alexandra).
So, as much the Queen loves Sophie, I dont think that she will be awarded the Garter.
IMO Camilla will be the next Garter lady at the ascension of Charles.

Camilla, IMHO, will get the Garter as a Coronation Gift, as will Harry.

I think Sophie will be more likely to receive the Royal Victorian Order (GCVO)- perhaps this June to mark the 10th Wedding Anniversary?

This year's Garter ceremony will be held on June 15, 2009.

Does anyone know if there will be any new members?

It has been tradition that royal wives are bestowed the GCVO after 17 years of royal marriage and service. I doubt we will see Sophie for at least another 7 or 8 years.

I totally agree. First of all, The Queen isn't known for Her generosity when it comes to giving out orders. She feels that you have to earn your orders. It will probably take Camilla 10-15 yrs just to get the Royal Victorian Order which is usually the first order royals receive (10-15 yrs seems to be the usual time royal women at least get the Royal Victorian Order after their marriages). The Garter is even more "exclusive" and I doubt that Camilla will receive it from The Queen. You can probably bet she will become a Lady of the Garter during Charles' reign though.

If the Queen beleives in working for your honours, why did Prince William get a place in the Order? And I am pretty sure that Camilla does have a honour: Queen Elizabeth II's Royal Family Order

If the Queen beleives in working for your honours, why did Prince William get a place in the Order? And I am pretty sure that Camilla does have a honour: Queen Elizabeth II's Royal Family Order

William got the garter because he is 2nd in line to the throne and to be the 1000th knight.

I suspect that if it wasn't the 1000th knight that he still wouldn't have it.

Yep that was a premeditate event that was thought of at William's birth. Something about the monarch of the future should be the 100th knight.
Harry's knighthood will depend on future events. Camilla will be a knight the year Charles becomes king. You can bet the house on that. Sophie will never be one.

It has been tradition that royal wives are bestowed the GCVO after 17 years of royal marriage and service. I doubt we will see Sophie for at least another 7 or 8 years.

Not sure. They appear to have changed the rules regarding family honors if there ever were any. Camilla wasn't married to Charles two years before she got a family honour, while Sarah never received one.:ermm:
Don't know about GCVO? Charles will be getting rid of those honours. Sophie will just have to be happy with the honour she has it will probably be the only one she ever receives.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure. They appear to have changed the rules regarding family honors if there ever were any. Camilla wasn't married to Charles two years before she got a family honour, while Sarah never received one.:ermm:
Don't know about GCVO? Charles will be getting rid of those honours. Sophie will just have to be happy with the honour she has it will probably be the only one she ever receives.

And i wonder why Sarah never recieved one.
I very very much doubt that Charles will get rid of the Royal Victorian Order. Or anything else for that matter. Sophie was given the family order in 2004 and she married n 1999. I hope Sophie recieves the order one day.
It says that appointments are announced on St Georges Day.
x

Yep that was a premeditate event that was thought of at William's birth. Something about the monarch of the future should be the 100th knight.
Harry's knighthood will depend on future events. Camilla will be a knight the year Charles becomes king. You can bet the house on that. Sophie will never be one.

The idea that William would be the 1000th knight would only work if the right number of knights died in the 26 years between his birth and his creation.

I doubt if the 1000th position became vacant 15 years ago, when he was 11 that he would have been created a knight or that the Order would have been minus one knight for any lenght of time.

As he got older and the number got closer I can see that it was possible - one of the reasons why I suspect that Andrew and Edward got their knighthoods when they did was to open the way for William to be the 1000th.

I very very much doubt that Charles will get rid of the Royal Victorian Order. Or anything else for that matter. Sophie was given the family order in 2004 and she married n 1999. I hope Sophie recieves the order one day.
x

Sarah was only married for such a short time and remember the actual marriage before separation was only 7 years.

This year's Garter ceremony will be held on June 15, 2009.

Does anyone know if there will be any new members?

Are there any vacancies?

This is a limited order regarding numbers so there could only be new members if there is a vacancy.

x
I also hope that Sophie will be given the Order of the Garter soon...she seems to be the only child-in-law of the Queen to "endure" in the Royal Family, and the only one to have a good feeling with Her Majesty...

The Royal Family Personal Order is generally bestowed on royal ladies after one year of service or whenever the Queen determines they award has been sufficiently earned. I for one would like to see Camilla and Sophie receive the Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order this year; however, I am doubtful if that will happen.

With the Exception of Camilla, It is highly unlikely that any royal consort will ever receive the Garter. Prince Michael of Kent stands a better chance than anyone and I don't see that happening for some time if ever.

It will be great if Prince Michael receives the Garter. Her Majesty is said to favour Prince Michael. Prince and Princess Michael did a good job representing the UK on the behalf of the British Royal family. He rarely undertakes any official engagements nowadays. Thus, it is impossible for me to determine his chances of getting the Garter. If Prince Michael does get the Garter, the British mass media is likely to rehash all stories about him and his family.

Sophie will never be one.

I can see why she won't but also why she should. Her and Edward do their work hard and out of the spotlight as well as raising 2 young children; although it probably won't matter to Charles. Perhaps he sees giving Camilla the Garter as another way for the public to accept her...

I can see why she won't but also why she should. Her and Edward do their work hard and out of the spotlight as well as raising 2 young children; although it probably won't matter to Charles. Perhaps he sees giving Camilla the Garter as another way for the public to accept her...

The spouse of the monarch has been a member of the Garter throughout the 20th C.

Edward VII created Alexandra a Lady Knight in 1901, the first woman added to the list since 1488. Followed by George V who created Mary one, in 1910, and George VI who created the Queen Mum one in 1936. Each of these ladies gained that title in the year of their husband's accesion to the throne.

It would be strange, given that tradition, for Charles not to treat his spouse the same way. It has nothing to do with the public acceptance but her due as the spouse of the monarch. I would expect Camilla to become a Lady Knight shortly after Charles accesion to the throne, in keeping with the tradition followed by Edward VII, George V and George VI.

And the Duke of Edinburgh? When was he created Knight of the Garter?

And the Duke of Edinburgh? When was he created Knight of the Garter?

It was one of the many titles he was given in the lead up to his marriage to the then Princess Elizabeth.

Elizabeth was created a lady knight one day and he the next ensuring that she had seniority.

A couple of days later was the wedding.

I will be present in St. George's Chapel Windsor for the Garter service on June 15th

Camilla will be a knight the year Charles becomes king. You can bet the house on that. Sophie will never be one.

All spouses of Kings received the Garter, Camilla won't be any different, and it was always given by their husbands. Sophie won't get one simply because spouses of minor royals don't. The current Dukes of Gloucester and Kent have the Garter their wives don't. Neither did Princess Marina, Duchess of Kent nor Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester.

William received his at a young age due to the Queen wanting him to be the 1000th Knight. Anne was made to wait until her 50ties, Princess Alexandra 60ties (?) Andrew and Edward 40ties. Harry will probably get it when he's in his 40ties.

The Family Order, there are only a certain amount made. Jewellery experts can identify them, during the years Sarah was married (1986-early 1992) there was no spare medallion. All the recipiants were alive. Since then the QM and Princess Margaret have died, that made one available for Sophie to receive in 2004 and I would assume that Camilla received the one worn by the QM. (Followers of royal jewellery can identify them) From my calculations there are 2 spare ones at the moments, the one Diana wore ( possibly being kept for William's future wife) and the one worn by Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester, she died in 2004. So if both princes marry during the Queen's life time their wives would receive the Family Order. And poor Princess Michael of Kent remains without one!

Ok this is going to sound dumb but has any of the people awarded a Garter ever missed a ceremony/parade. Because I was thinking will William be able to go this year I think the ceremony/parade is on Monday so he would have to get special leave from the RAF.

:previous:

OK, I'm no garter expert but I'll take a stab at this question because I know for sure that the extra knights companion and ladies of the order, which are other countries' royals, do not always attend. For example, Emperor Akihito of Japan is an extra knight companion and I don't recall him attending recently. Feel free to chime in if you know differently.

Not being a British subject, I'm less familiar with the "regular" companions so I don't know if they attend every year or not. To answer a question further up, the British royal website states that there are only 24 regular companions, and I counted 24 in the list, so I doubt we'll see anybody new this year, royal or not.

Further, IMO, Prince William had better attend since he's so new at this! Looking forward to the ceremony!

Yes sometimes the knights do miss - e.g. for health reasons.

Remember that they hold the title for life and sometimes they are too ill in the last years of their lives to actually attend.

It would be rare but it does happen.

William will either get special leave to attend or the day isn't a scheduled training day or he won't attend. I suspect the first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom