Order of the Garter, Ceremonies and Information 1: 2003 - 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you talking about the white ribbons? Those are apparently there to hold the collar in place.

Or the blue and gold cord? Those hold the robe together.

I'm looking at the pictures and I'm not seeing any chain on the right shoulder.

florawindsor said:
hi kelly the chains i was talking about is the thing i encircled with red lines.

These aren't "chains at all, there gold braid (cord) on a uniform to show rank.

I think, there is something wrong with Anne´s hat. Last year Charles had to fix her feathers, this year they are broken off.:D;):p

The Royalist website has a picture of Fergie at the Garter ceremony: ttp://www.theroyalist.net/content/view/861/1/

So now I'm going to compound my meaness about picking on the York girls and pick on the York mom! If you look at the newspaper photo shown at the Royalist, all the York girls are lined up, and I think they all look really bad fashion-wise and for the same reason: I think their clothes are fussy, unflattering, make them look bigger than they are, and don't suit their ages (the girls clothes are too old and Fergie's outfit is too young/flamboyant). I also don't like any of their hats/headpieces.

In the second photo at the Royalist, Sophie is seen at the far right, and I think her dress is the polar opposite of the Yorks: flattering, appropriate for her age and occassion, simple, stylish, and nice hat! Sophie is not a slim girl either, similar to the Yorks, but her dress flatters her figure.

And it's not a question of money, since I'm sure the Yorks spent plenty on their outfits, and it's not like Sophie has a huge allowance (by BRF standards).

Congrats Sophie!

Your commentary on the Yorks is too funny, ap3. I agree that Sarah's dress (at least the picture I saw ~ thanks for the link) was not flattering to her at all. But she was always clueless when it came to appropriate attaire. Psss Beatrice & Eugenie weren't that bad (depending on what picture you are looking at) but probably could have done better. Those hats, however . . . The Countess of W and Duchess of C both looked great. I def. agree very flattering to their figures and age.

I can't BELIEVE Sara! She finally gets an opportunity to join the ROyal family and she comes dressed so awfully. I haven't seen a bad picture of her in years- What was she thinking? For years she has only worn black and looked great, why not stick with what works? (There goes her weight watchers contract)

I actually liked Camilla's hat - as a nod to the Garter costume- but not to be worn anywhere else please. Sophie looked great as usual. I'm glad there weren't too many pics of Sara and that her coming did not overshadow the event.

I was frustrated not for her appearance but for the fact she rushed into giving interview, less then a day after the ceremony. I really don't think it was an appropirate thing to do.

Sarah's skirt has a bubble hem. Those are fashionable this season, but difficult to wear for most people. She doesn't have the hips, thighs or calves to wear them, though. Her jacket is tragic. She looked so chic at the Queen Mum's funeral. She has the ability to look amazing, but when she does the "fashion" thing, she ends up looking a hot mess.

I am happy for sarah, this is the first time we can see sarah in an event with sophie, right?
I remenber see sophie with diana in lady sarah wedding, in 1994, but I never see her with sarah

ap3 said:
So now I'm going to compound my meaness about picking on the York girls and pick on the York mom! If you look at the newspaper photo shown at the Royalist, all the York girls are lined up, and I think they all look really bad fashion-wise and for the same reason:

They all (The Yorks & Sophie) look like fashion wrecks, there is nothing elegant or refined about any of their outfits! :eek:

Avalon said:
I was frustrated not for her appearance but for the fact she rushed into giving interview, less then a day after the ceremony. I really don't think it was an appropirate thing to do.

She can't seem to help herself, the hand of friendship is extended and she, once again bites it off! :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some photos of HRH The Earl of Wessex at the Garter Ceremony.
My favourite is the first. Actually you might have wondered why Prince Charles appears quiet confused in the walk down - reason been that a well wisher wished the Earl of Wessex congradulations - actually he wished him double congradualtions.
Charles must have spend the whole ceremony wondering why the pubic was congradulating Edward. And asked his younger brother after ceremony, Hence the first picture.

Pictures: Getty Images

corazon said:
I am happy for sarah, this is the first time we can see sarah in an event with sophie, right?
I remenber see sophie with diana in lady sarah wedding, in 1994, but I never see her with sarah

They both attended the funerals of the Queen Mothers and Princess Margaret. I think that they also overlaped at Ascot, when Sophie was Edward's girlfriend.

Attachments

• garter1.jpg
    garter1.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 545
  • 71239055.jpg
    71239055.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 637
  • 71239062.jpg
    71239062.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 561
  • 71239829.jpg
    71239829.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 561
  • 71240034.jpg
    71240034.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 635
  • 71244568.jpg
    71244568.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 607
  • garter2.jpg
    garter2.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 519
Could someone post a photo of Sarah's outfit?

I remember back in the 80s when Diana was wearing bubble skirts. (At least that's one Diana trend I didn't mimic!)

Sarah was definitely at the Queen Mum's funeral. There are pics.

I don't recall seeing Sarah at Margaret's funeral, but it was rather low-key and not a lot of pics ever came out.

From FlickR.Com, a picture of Sarah at the Garter ceremony. Hideous outfit. She obviously thought she'd joined the Hussars.

The Duchess of Cornwall, The Duchess of Gloucester and even The Countess of Wessex looked very smart. Sarah just showed herself up in such an unusual outfit. The sensible thing would have been to understate things but by sticking out, she threatens her chances of being asked again.

Sarah must have raided Michael Jackson's closet of old clothes to have picked out that jacket. Understated? Definitely not!

perhaps Sarah has dinner plans in Morocco and wore the outfit during the day as she didn't have time to get changed later.;)

Pictures of various royal family members at the Order of the Garter (From Bruno Press):

Five more (Bruno Press):

Attachments

• Garter 5.jpg
    Garter 5.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 262
  • Garter 11.jpg
    Garter 11.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 338
  • Garter 9.jpg
    Garter 9.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 322
  • Garter 8.jpg
    Garter 8.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 302
  • Garter 6.jpg
    Garter 6.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 351
  • Garter 7.jpg
    Garter 7.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 307
  • Garter 4.jpg
    Garter 4.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 302
  • Garter 3.jpg
    Garter 3.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 307
  • Garter 2.jpg
    Garter 2.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 350
  • Garter.jpg
    Garter.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 332
  • Garter 10.jpg
    Garter 10.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 268
  • Garter 12.jpg
    Garter 12.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 362
  • Garter 13.jpg
    Garter 13.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 385
  • Garter 14.jpg
    Garter 14.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 275
  • Garter 15.jpg
    Garter 15.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 333
RoyalProtocol said:
These aren't "chains at all, there gold braid (cord) on a uniform to show rank.
Florawindsor, Royal Protocol,

You're both referring to an aiguillette, a mark of an Aide-de-Camp or Equerry to Her Majesty The Queen, a member of the Royal Family, or someone holding one of the Admiral, General or Marshal ranks in the armed forces. The aiguillette has long been a symbol of those holding these appointments (whether for life or a fixed shorter term). You'll find most senior members of the Royal family are appointed honourary Aides-de-Camp to Her Majesty, or if not, they wear the aiguillette simply by virtue of being an Admiral, General or Air Marshal.

The Order of the Garter Service 2007
18 June at St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle

Last edited:
The most Noble Order of the Garter - Garter Day 2007

PPE Agency

Camilla's outfit is gorge, gorge, gorge and lovely to see her sharing a carriage with her sister in law. Princess Alexandra is looking as fabulous as ever. All grand.

I would love to see Camilla´s outfit in full. But, what I can see is very, very lovely. (In an Order-of-the-Garter-outfit she would look well, too.;))

Thank you for the pics Avalon!:flowers:
Like every year it´s great to see the members of the Order of the Garter in their outfits.
And it´s great too, to see Camilla in such a nice dress and together with the Princess Royal in a carriage.

I would love to see Camilla´s outfit in full. But, what I can see is very, very lovely. (In an Order-of-the-Garter-outfit she would look well, too.;))

Well, there is a vacant position in the Order, so maybe we'll see Camilla as a Lady of the Garter even before Prince Charles becomes King... :rolleyes: ;)

Camilla does it again, she looked wonderful. :flowers:

The Queen robes up for the Order of the Garter in Windsor

Just two days after the pomp and splendour of the Trooping the Colour parade, the Queen was celebrating yet another of her country's oldest traditions in splendid style at the Order of the Garter service in Windsor. Wearing the distinctive ostrich-plumed hat and ceremonial robes and accompanied by Prince Phillip, on Monday she joined the 25 Knights and Ladies of the oldest surviving order of chivalry in the world.

The Queen robes up for the Order of the Garter in Windsor

Well, there is a vacant position in the Order, so maybe we'll see Camilla as a Lady of the Garter even before Prince Charles becomes King... :rolleyes: ;)

Camilla would be a Royal Lady, so the quota doesn't apply to her.

I was lucky to be present in St George's chapel for the service. It began with the National Anthem (two verses) there were prayers for the Order and The Queen and two hymns, the chior sany the Te Deum and a Psalm and there was a large procession through the Chapel including The Duchess of Cornwall and The Duchess of Gloucester (both royal non-Garter ladies).

As i know last year 2006, when the Duke of York and the Earl of Wessex were installed with the Order, the York Princesses and the Countess of Wessex also attended the Service, they were in the carriage procession. However, would they walk alongside their father, husband like at other events or seperately?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom