Order of the Garter, Ceremonies and Information 1: 2003 - 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Queen could, but I wouldn't hold your breath...

I just found the picture showing the whole outfit that the Duchess of Cornwall:
And other photos of The Duchess of Cornwall with the Duchess of Gloucester:

Attachments

• D 49518-08.jpg
    D 49518-08.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 962
Last edited:
Ive also wondered why the Duke of York isnt a member The Earl of Wessex isnt either as far as I Know Wonder who will be the next member of the family to get it :)

Well, since the Duke of Gloucester and Princess Alexandra, who have been loya and hard-working royals for decades, have only just received the Garter, it's possible that the Queen thinks Andrew and Edward haven't "paid their dues" yet.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what do those letters at the end mean?, I know KG is Knight of the Garter but what about the others?
His Royal Highness the Earl of Wessex KG KCVO ADC (P)
And what about the PoW being in the Knights and Ladies Company unlike his father and siblings who are all in the Royal Knights and Ladies?
And can members of the church (Bishops, Priests and Such) become a member of the Order?
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Orders

KCVO is a Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order

ADC (P) is a Personal Aide De Campe to Her Majesty The Queen.

Bishops etc. can become a knight of an order but do not recieve the accolade (ie Sir) instead they append the letters to their name. e.g. His Grace The Archbishop of York, KCVO

Last edited by a moderator:
crisiñaki said:
And what about the PoW being in the Knights and Ladies Company unlike his father and siblings who are all in the Royal Knights and Ladies?

Any Prince of Wales is automatically a Knight of the Garter. and according to the order's statutes and convention he is a Knight Companion and not one of the supernumerary knights (Royal Knights). However, he does not count as one of the 24 Knights Companion to which the order is limited.

The blue ribbon from the Order of the Garter that King Charles I wore to his execution has been bought by a private buyer for over 4 thousand pounds.

From the BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/5043652.stm

From the picture it looks like only part of the ribbon remains.

According to the article, a number of museums had expressed interest. Are museums really in such bad shape that they couldn't afford that sort of price?

I should certainly think that artifact from Charles I is worth MUCH more than pounds 4,000!

Windsor, United Kingdom: Britain's Queen Elizabeth II arrives at St George's Chapel in Windsor for the annual Garter Service, 19 June 2006. The Duke of York and the Earl of Wessex will be formally made Knights of the Garter. The Order of the Garter, established by Edward III in 1348, is the Queen's personal gift, without advice from government ministers.

from getty

Attachments

• 71237808.jpg
    71237808.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 578
  • 71237945.jpg
    71237945.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 652
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 628
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 590
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 574
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 591
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 574
Last edited:
From getty images
#5: AP

Attachments

• 71239440.jpg
    71239440.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 611
  • 71239458.jpg
    71239458.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 591
  • 71239472.jpg
    71239472.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 693
  • 71239496.jpg
    71239496.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 561
  • ap.jpg
    ap.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 973
I believe Sarah may have come for the afternoon ceremonies but not the morning ceremonies- a possibility, but certainly not confirmed.

Royal Fan said:
Ive seen a few; Havent seen many of The Duke of York or Earl of Wessex.

Yes, that was disappointing. I expected to see more of Andrew and Edward. In fact this year I haven't seen as many pictures as last year.

I haven't found any of Sarah at the ceremony. She attended the Queen's Cup because there's a pic of her with Beatrice and Eugenie at the event but there's nothing for the Garter ceremony. Perhaps the reporter who broke the story about Sarah attending got the wrong event?

Camilla's hat has way too many feathers! I usually like her hats, but this one is just starnge IMO.

Beatrice and Eugenie: they have such beautiful complexions! But I really dislike their clothes: I think the clothes look fussy and over-styled for such young girls. They fit badly and are unflattering. They look like they borrowed them (certainly Eugenie's blue jacket is the one Beatrice wore at the Trooping the Colors), and they don't fit well as a result or even suit their bodies well. They remind of their mother from her "royal" days when she tried too hard and often wore clothes which may have been stylish and expensive but did not suit her body type.

Beatrice, especially, but also Eugenie, has the bad habit of clashing with herself. Their own clothes don't match. I guess they're still finding what works, but the problem seems to be that they are trying to mix fashionable clothes with what's deemed suitable for royalty. Unless you've got the budget to wear little other than Valentino or Chanel, that's a tough mix. Rather than trying to wear what's trendy, they might want to try wearing simple clothing that fits and photographs well, and save the trendy stuff for when they aren't having to conform to royal standards of dress.

Not to make this a pick on the York girls...but I totally agree with the comments about what they wear. Their hats are too old for them, and the clothes are not flattering. They are beautiful young ladies and sometimes (okay a lot) do not dress appropriately for serious occassions but for their casual/not official occassions they always look great. And Beatrice...she has beautiful hair. Why does it always look unkempt. Can she put some curl to it?

ap3 said:
Camilla's hat has way too many feathers! I usually like her hats, but this one is just starnge IMO

It could be that it was designed with the huge white feather in the headpiece of the Garter regalia in mind, and if that is the case I think it is in keeping with the theme of the day.

Zonk1189 said:
Not to make this a pick on the York girls...but I totally agree with the comments about what they wear. Their hats are too old for them, and the clothes are not flattering. They are beautiful young ladies and sometimes (okay a lot) do not dress appropriately for serious occassions but for their casual/not official occassions they always look great. And Beatrice...she has beautiful hair. Why does it always look unkempt. Can she put some curl to it?

They're both beautiful young ladies, but I think they look a mess! They could look stunning if dressed properly. I think they need a bit of professional advice and guidance as to what suits them. I'm sure there's a style that will suit their body shapes and allow them to look young and fashionable but still Royal. I think Beatrice should start tying her hair back somehow.

Wow, Camilla looks like she has aged a great deal in #66. I am surprised she made the appearance.

I think Eugenie borrowed Beatrice's outfit from the Trooping The Colour.

Last edited:
Both Beatrice and Eugenie look great . Camilla looked great as well

Incas said:
Wow, Camilla looks like she has aged a great deal in #66. I am surprised she made the appearance.

Well, the recent loss of her father probably has something to do with it.

Good grace as duchess rejoins royal pageantry

The Duchess of York was invited as a guest to the church service at St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, after a request from Prince Andrew, to which the Queen agreed.
She was seated with the couple's two daughters, Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie, in the quire of the chapel, with guests of the other Garter Knights, though away from other members of the royal family.
The duchess, however, did not attend her former husband's investiture in the castle's Throne Room, nor the private lunch before the service. Neither was she invited to the tea afterwards.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/go...royal-pageantry/2006/06/20/1150701555082.html

Attachments

• garter21606_wideweb__470x349,0.jpg
    garter21606_wideweb__470x349,0.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 815
Did The Duchess of Cornwall ride in the carriage procession?

RoyalProtocol said:
Did The Duchess of Cornwall ride in the carriage procession?

Yes, she did.

Attachments

• 71244562.jpg
    71244562.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 597
I am reading about order of the Garter on wikipedia,and in the article, it is said that on minor occasions. men can wear "the collar" on the shoulder with their uniforms(instead of the mantle). then I try to find a picture of it. in the trooping the colours thread i do find pictures of the Duke of Edingburgh wearing something like a chain across his shoulder, but it does not look like the Garter collar. can anyone tell me what the name of the chain-like thing is? and can anyone post a picture of any Knight of Garter wearing a collar on the shoulder in his uniform? thanks.

The chain is the collar.

thank you Kelly . but the chain i was talking about is the thing he wears on his right shoulder. the collar is the thing from his left to his right shoulder. is there a specefic name to the chain? what is it for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom