Order of the Garter, Ceremonies and Information 1: 2003 - 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another hum dinger of a day for royal watchers. We had great pics. Catherine, Letizia and Maxima all got along really well. They couldn’t stop laughing. Fingers crossed for ascot. Outside of big state events we don’t see foreign royals that much, at least publicly.

Wondering if we will see any of the foreign Royals there tomorrow.

LaRae

I am especially enjoying this years Garter ceremony because of the foreign royals. I think it is great the way Britain upholds so many of these ancient traditions. Really loved seeing all the ladies interacting together and all looking lovely.
For me I loved Queen Letizia's outfit the best. The only downside was that the magnificent diamond flower brooch was a bit lost by the pattern of the dress.
Looking forward to Royal Ascot now.

Queen Letizia and Queen Maxima, both looked beautiful. Each one with her own style and personality. Maxima smile was radiant. Letizia is a gorgeous women with a very serious look. Queen Letizia has such presence. Maxima seems to be over the top. Can you be that happy all the time?

The Court Circular confirms that Prince William & Duchess Kate did not attend the investment of the new Order of Garter Knights/Ladies in the Throne Room at Windsor Castle, or attend the Luncheon. But, They both attended the afternoon service. No reason has been given.

Yeah I wonder what this was about. Seems odd they weren't in attendance for that yet was at the service.

Is it normal for them to attend everything?

[....] Maxima seems to be over the top. Can you be that happy all the time?

From the very first day Máxima became known to the public, her 10.000 megawatt smile is her trade mark. But pics are misleading. It was a whole afternoon, including a religious service. You can be sure that Queen Máxima has been very solemn, restraint, serious. Like we have seen so often at solemn events indeed. But all these pics were made outside, watching the ceremonial procession and during the carriage ride in a sea of enthousiast well-wishers.

As product of a British-style college Máxima will have enjoyed and engaged in all this magic britishness. And yes, she is known for her sunny personality, for her Argentinean exuberance. That will not be different this afternoon, when the King and Queen will undoubtedly enjoy Royal Ascot as special guests of Queen Elizabeth.

Last edited:
Wow
Congrats to the new knights
Queen Maxima looks magnificient
Looking forward to see Ascot and royal procession [emoji253]

Not sure where you got the second lady :flowers: .

The Marquess, however, is obviously a man ( Robert Gascoyne-Cecil, former Tory leader in the House of Lords , I think).

Doh! I don’t know why my head registered Marquess as a lady, I think I was going along the lines of Duchess and Countess!

Sorry guys.

And Felipe’s was dragging the ground! I guess a very tall Knight (or Lady) will have to pass before W-A gets a robe that fits.

Comparing to the other ones (look at Charles´or Williams robes) W-A´s was really much too short.
Aren´t these robes specially and new made for every new member....?! I don´t think they are normally passed on, aren´t they?

Comparing to the other ones (look at Charles´or Williams robes) W-A´s was really much too short.
Aren´t these robes specially and new made for every new member....?! I don´t think they are normally passed on, aren´t they?

You could see from the washed-out gold emrbroidery on King Felipe's robe, his was an old one. King Willem-Alexander was a newer one, but as they will probably never attend this ceremony again, I can not imagine a new robe is made for them.

Look at the difference in golden embroidery: https://static-sls.smf.aws.sanomacl...xbsaZgbkekNVAmfiPrWeBeaglqZHWWl&itok=QRU-bbWM

“Dressed in my tabard as Fitzalan Pursuivant Extraordinary for today’s Service of Installation and Thanksgiving of the Most Noble Order of the Garter at Windsor Castle. My tabard was made for Coronation of Edward VII in 1902”

Some of you may recognise this gentleman from various documentaries or his work for Downton Abbey. Well he also has a job at the College of Arms

I came across an article from the Spanish press and the gist of it was monarchies in general needs the pomp and circumstance of events like Garter day. It said Felipe looked ‘King like’ in his garter robes

If I can find it I’ll post it. Someone randomly retweeted it but I’ll have a look.

With the investiture of Their Majesties King Felipe VI & King Willem-Alexander, I wonder why King Philippe of the Belgians has not (yet) been honoured in a similar way. His father, King Albert II, has never been made a Knight of the Garter, either.

Albert II never made a State Visit to the UK perhaps ,hopefully his son King Philippe will :previous:

With the investiture of Their Majesties King Felipe VI & King Willem-Alexander, I wonder why King Philippe of the Belgians has not (yet) been honoured in a similar way. His father, King Albert II, has never been made a Knight of the Garter, either.

Because there hasn't been a briitsh-belgian State Visit since the 1960's. The Order is usually awarded during State Visits.

Albert II never made a State Visit to the UK perhaps ,hopefully his son King Philippe will :previous:

I wouldn’t hold my breath on this one. A Belgian state visit is unlikely in the near future.

Thank you to everyone who shared the photos and videos of yesterday's ceremony - what a right royal treat for us fans! It was fantastic to see the Spanish and Dutch monarchs at the ceremony, too, and I loved how well they seemed to be getting on with the BRF (especially Maxima and WA and the Cambridges).

Emily Andrews and Rebecca English say the Cambridges didn’t ‘skip’ the installation of new garter knights. They had a private engagement but can’t disclose the details.

Last edited:
The papers are reporting that there was a crash involving the convoy of W&K on their way to the Garter service, maybe this is why they were late?

The papers are reporting that there was a crash involving the convoy of W&K on their way to the Garter service, maybe this is why they were late?

No. There was an accident but the Cambridges had another engagement that morning, details of which can’t be made public, yet.

Court Circular 17th June:
Windsor Castle

The Queen, accompanied by The Prince of Wales, The Duke of York, The Earl of Wessex, The Princess Royal, The Duke of Gloucester, The Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra, the Hon Lady Ogilvy, today held a Chapter of the Most Noble Order of the Garter in the Throne Room, Windsor Castle.

The Duchess of Cornwall, The Countess of Wessex, Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence, The Duchess of Gloucester, The King and Queen of Spain and The King and Queen of the Netherlands were present.

Lady Mary Peters and the Marquess of Salisbury were present.

The following Knights Companion were present: the Duke of Abercorn, Field Marshal the Lord Bramall, the Lord Sainsbury of Preston Candover, Sir Timothy Colman, Sir Antony Acland, the Lord Butler of Brockwell, the Lord Morris of Aberavon, the Rt Hon Sir John Major, the Lord Luce, Sir Thomas Dunne, the Lord Phillips of Worth Matravers, Admiral of the Fleet the Lord Boyce, Marshal of the Royal Air Force the Lord Stirrup, the Lady Manningham Buller, the Lord King of Lothbury, the Lord Shuttleworth, Sir David Brewer, the Viscount Brookeborough and Lady Mary Fagan.

The Officers of the Order were: the Bishop of Winchester (Prelate), the Dean of Windsor (Register), Mr Thomas Woodcock (Garter), Miss Sarah Clarke (Lady Usher of the Black Rod) and Mr Patric Dickinson (Secretary).

Lieutenant Colonel Stephen Segrave (Secretary, Central Chancery of the Orders of Knighthood), Mr Max Bowen (Page of Honour) and Mr Robert Bruce (Page of Honour) were in attendance.

The Queen welcomed The King of Spain and The King of the Netherlands as Extra Knights Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter.

Her Majesty invested Lady Mary Peters with the Insignia of a Lady Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter and the Marquess of Salisbury with the Insignia of a Knight Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter.

The Queen later gave a Luncheon Party for the Companions of the Most Noble Order of the Garter at which The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall, The Duke of York, The Earl and Countess of Wessex, The Princess Royal and Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence, The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, The Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra, the Hon Lady Ogilvy were present.

The King and Queen of Spain and The King and Queen of the Netherlands were also present.

The following had the honour of being invited: the Duke of Abercorn and the Lady Sophie Hamilton, Field Marshal the Lord Bramall, the Lord and Lady Sainsbury of Preston Candover, Sir Timothy Colman and Mrs Peter Troughton, Sir Anthony and Lady Acland, the Lord and Lady Butler of Brockwell, the Lord Morris of Aberavon and the Hon Mrs Cross, the Rt Hon Sir John Major and Dame Norma Major, the Lord Luce, Sir Thomas and Lady Dunne, the Lord and Lady Phillips of Worth Matravers, Admiral of the Fleet the Lord Boyce and the Hon Mrs Barling, Marshal of the Royal Air Force the Lord and Lady Stirrup, the Baroness Manningham-Buller, the Lord and Lady King of Lothbury, the Lord and Lady Shuttleworth, Sir David and Lady Brewer, the Viscount and Viscountess Brookeborough, Lady Mary Fagan and Captain Christopher Fagan, Lady Mary Peters and Mr John Peters, the Marquess and Marchioness of Salisbury, the Bishop of Winchester, the Dean of Windsor, Mr Thomas Woodcock, Miss Sarah Clarke, Mr Patric Dickinson, Lieutenant Colonel Stephen Segrave, Mr Max Bowen and Mr Robert Bruce.

An Installation Service was held in St George’s Chapel this afternoon at which The King of Spain and The King of the Netherlands were installed as an Extra Knights Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter and Lady Mary Peters and the Marquess of Salisbury were installed as a Lady Companion and a Knight Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter.

Her Majesty’s Body Guard of the Honourable Corps of Gentlemen at Arms and The Queen’s Body Guard of the Yeomen of the Guard were on duty in the Chapel.

Two first names are overrepresented among the 24 knights and ladies. Out of 3 ladies two are called Mary (the other Elizabeth - Eliza for short) and out of 20 knights there are 4 Johns - most others also have traditional names (Edwin, Timothy, James, Peter, Antony, Richard, Thomas, Nicholas, Michael, Graham (Jock), Frederick (Robin), Mervyn, Charles, David, Alan).

The names of their (former) spouses are much more diverse but also contain some rather traditional names and both a John and two Mary's (disclaimer: I couldn't find all names):
For the Ladies: John(!) (for Lady Mary Peters) and Christopher (for Lady Mary Fagan)
For the Knights: Dorothy, Anya, Susan, Mary (!) (2x) = for Timothy Colman; his wife is a cousin of the queen - niece of the queen mother -; and for Jock Stirrup =, Alexandra, Clare / Jennifer, Gillian, Norma, Christylle, Harriette / Fleur, Barbara, Tessa, Janet.

Last edited:
It is sad it has been cancelled but also realistic. The UK is in the first week of another 3 weeks of lockdown, even if that lockdown lifts it will be May and going from lockdown to an Order of garter ceremony with hundreds if not thousands of people was never going to happen, plus most the Knight and Lady members are older people who, from what we hear, are going to be advised to isolate for much longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom