Order of the Garter, Ceremonies and Information 1: 2003 - 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, when the Grand-Duke died, his stall plate, crest and personal standard were taken down in St George's Chapel. I have seen a Twitter pic passing by.

The Order of the Garter is probably the most colourful ceremony of all. Followed by the Queen's Birthday Parade and the State Opening of Parliament. Where the last one is in decline (no wigs anymore, almost no hereditary peerresses, I even saw kaki pants and sneakers under Lords' robes) the first one is and remains a prime example of fabulously executed British ceremonial, with all participants joining in all their finery. It was breathtakingly beautiful and fabulous.

Here's some footage of the Procession today,the Countess of Wessex is explaining something to queen Letizia at the start.

Queen Maxima the winner for me today in clothing. The Duchess of Cornwall and Queen Letizia and then The Duchess of Cambridge...I love The Countess of Wessex's skirt but not so much her blouse.

LaRae

Yes, when the Grand-Duke died, his stall plate, crest and personal standard were taken down in St George's Chapel. I have seen a Twitter pic passing by.

Do they destroy it or give it to the family or put it in storage?

LaRae

LaRae

It is kept:

"When a Knight Companion dies his Banner, Crest, Helm and Sword are taken down and the insignia returned to the Sovereign. The stall is roped-off and a laurel wreath bearing his name is placed in it. The Knight's stall is not used again until his Banner is offered to the Altar. This ceremony which is reminiscent of medieval practices takes place some time after the Knight's funeral which is attended by members of his family, Knights Companion and Officers of the Order. The Banner is brought in procession by the Military Knights during Evensong and is then received by the Dean and placed upon the Altar. Prayers are said for the Deceased Knight Companion and the Order.

The Garter Knight's brightly coloured brass enamel stall-plate showing the knight's full coat of arms, title and the date of appointment to the Order which is affixed to the back of the stall soon after the instillation service and remains there in perpetuity. At present there are almost 800 Garter Knights stall plates in St George's Chapel the earliest surviving plate is that of Ralph, Lord Basset of Drayton who was elected to the Order in 1368."

Small point but when the Queens & Duchesses were stood under the canopy watching the procession, there was a woman on their left (and at one point two women) who seemed to stand in front of them to get a better view. Does anybody know who she is?

Small point but when the Queens & Duchesses were stood under the canopy watching the procession, there was a woman on their left (and at one point two women) who seemed to stand in front of them to get a better view. Does anybody know who she is?

The only women I've seen in videos to the left of the main group are The Duchess of Gloucester and Zenouska Mowatt.

Another question: Did the King and Queen of the N.lands occupy a coach only for themselves or have they also been joined by british Royals?

Wilhelm and Maxima were in a carriage with The Duke of York.

The Duke of York,

Interesting choice of carriage companions I think.

At some point, since corrected, the DM said that the Dutch couple rode in the carriage with Prince Andrew and the Duke of York!

Yes that's them - just wondering if anyone recognised them.

Video: 2019 Order of the Garter Departures-

The Duchess of Cambridge was having having a great chat with the Spanish king and queen,to be a fly on the door of that carriage :previous:

Poor king Willem-Alexander. His robe is way too short...

Casareal.es has just posted these 2 videos from todays Service and Procession.

This is the oath all new knights take. Source via College of St George

How can non-christians take this oath? Not applicable today but there are for example muslim knights and the Japanese emeritus emperor isn't a christian either .

Last edited:
I wonder if there has ever been a joint installation of 2 foreign monarchs on the same day?

A wonderful day, indeed! A few observations:

1.) Letizia wins overall look -- her hat really topped off the look (all puns intended!)
2.) I loved Maxima's hat and she would have gotten top billing except that I think the top of the dress (the shirt color and belt) was a bit too casual. Nonetheless, she looked great and I look forward to seeing her at Ascot.
3.) Zenouska Mowatt seems to be attending quite a few royal events lately and doesn't seem to share her mother's distain for all things royal. Good for her!

Poor king Willem-Alexander. His robe is way too short...

And Felipe’s was dragging the ground! I guess a very tall Knight (or Lady) will have to pass before W-A gets a robe that fits.

I wonder, what "Felipe el Prudente" ("Philip the Prudent") would say about Philip VI or Felipe VI becoming an english knight... :whistling:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_II_of_Spain

Considering that Philip II was once King of England, I don't think he would mind it.

He would, however, most certainly disapprove of the King of Spain receiving a decoration from a Protestant monarch and attending a service in a Protestant chapel.

Last edited:
It would have been nice if princess Beatrix as fellow Lady of the Garter and mother of the newest member had been invited as well.

And Juan Carlos as fellow knight but he recently retired from public life...

Probably there were 3 knights and 1 lady companion installed today. Next to the two supernumeray members lady Mary Peters and the marquess of Salisbury (both appointed in february) were expected to be installed today.

Fun fact: the two kings are the second youngest and third youngest knights. William is the only younger knight.

Order of the Garter 2003-2019: Ceremonies and Information

Probably there were 3 knights and 1 lady companion installed today. Next to the two supernumeray members lady Mary Peters and the marquess of Salisbury (both appointed in february) were expected to be installed today.

Only two Ladies were installed today Dame Mary and the Marquess of Salisbury along with two stranger knights (Felipe and WA).

Dame Mary Peters is pictured here in the procession;

Last edited:
Last edited:

LaRae

At the stall, after the knight has died, they put up a smaller version of the plaque for ever. When you look at the stalls the large plaque is the current knight and the small plaques are for those whose stall it has been in the past.

Only two Ladies were installed today Dame Mary and the Marquess of Salisbury along with two stranger knights (Felipe and WA).

Dame Mary Peters is pictured here in the procession;
Not sure where you got the second lady :flowers: . The 4 installments today were: a lady companion (lady Mary Peters), a knight companion (the marquess of Salisbury, i.e. Robert Gascoyne-Cecil, formerly known as Viscount Cranborne) and the two supernumerous (or stranger) knights companions (the kings of Spain and the Netherlands).

Especially lady Mary Peters seems quite excited waving to lots of people during the procession (at least, I think that's her - walking up front with the marquess of Salisbury - who apparently is the 6th (out of 7) marquess of Salisbury to become a KG).

Last edited:
The Court Circular confirms that Prince William & Duchess Kate did not attend the investment of the new Order of Garter Knights/Ladies in the Throne Room at Windsor Castle, or attend the Luncheon. But, They both attended the afternoon service. No reason has been given.

Yeah I wonder what this was about. Seems odd they weren't in attendance for that yet was at the service.

My guess is they had something going with the kids or one of their charities.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom