Order of the Garter, Ceremonies and Information 1: 2003 - 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Order of the Garter 2003-2019: Ceremonies and Information

How bizarre that William wasn’t featured in that photo but was in attendance at the service. Very bad form from whoever. Perhaps he was delayed arriving..

Last edited:
Unfortunately the direct from the EFE agency is over.
How long will the ceremony take place in the chapel?

Do we know if King Phillippe of Belgium has already received the Order of the Garter?

Do we know if King Phillippe of Belgium has already received the Order of the Garter?

He has not. He and his father before him (King Albert II) are the only monarchs of the Belgians not to have been honored with the Garter. Kings Leopold I, Leopold II, Albert I, Leopold III and Baudouin were all knights of the order.

Was William not at the lunch? Odd to not be included in the picture.

The popular theory (here) is that he might have arrived late.

Last edited:
Was William not at the lunch? Odd to not be included in the picture.

Catherine and William in the carriage with the King and Queen of Spain

The order of the Garter is usually bestowed during State Visits. The King of the Belgian hasn't been in UK for a State Visit yet, so no Garter for him.

The order of the Garter is usually bestowed during State Visits. The King of the Belgian hasn't been in UK for a State Visit yet, so no Garter for him.

Not always during State Visits, but the latest years QEII seems to have coupled it to a State Visit indeed.

Grand-Duke Henri is without a Garter too. As well the new King of Thailand and the new Emperor of Japan, of course.

King Willem-Alexander is in a long line of Oranges receiving the Garter:

Maurits of Nassau, Prince of Orange (1567-1625)

Frederik Hendrik of Nassau, Prince of Orange (1584-1650)

Willem II of Nassau, Prince of Orange (1626-1650)

Willem III of Nassau, Prince of Orange, became King of England, Scotland and Ireland (1650-1702)

Mary II of Nassau, born Stuart, Princess of Orange, became Queen of England, Scotland and Ireland (1662-1694)

Willem IV of Orange-Nassau, Prince of Orange (1711-1751)

Willem V of Orange-Nassau, Prince of Orange (1748-1806)

Willem I, King of the Netherlands, Prince of Orange-Nassau, Grand-Duke of Luxembourg (1772-1843)

Willem III, King of the Netherlands, Prince of Orange-Nassau, Grand-Duke of Luxembourg (1817-1890)

Wilhelmina, Queen of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau (1880-1962)

Juliana, Queen of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau (1909-2004)

Beatrix, Queen of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau (1989)

Willem-Alexander, King of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau (1967)

Thanks for the overview. It seems the only king not to havce received the Garter is King Willem II. His reign lasted only a few years of course.

He did receive the Order of Bath and the Army Gold Medal (aka Peninsular Gold Medal) which was accompanied by a golder cross. He must have been proud of the latter as he has worn it on several portraits and during his inauguration, it had two bars, representing the six battles he had fought in the Iberian peninsula (in comparison: the duke of Wellington had 9 bars representing 13 battles).

--
Nice to see the two Queens with the British royal ladies. The Duchess of Cambridge looks radiant.

It is likely that King Philippe will be made a knight of the Garter if he ever pays a state visit to the UK - and I see no reason why he won't.

Last edited:
Thanks for the overview. It seems the only king not to havce received the Garter is King Willem II. His reign lasted only a few years of course.

He did receive the Order of Bath and the Army Gold Medal (aka Peninsular Gold Medal) which was accompanied by a golder cross. He must have been proud of the latter as he has worn it on several portraits and during his inauguration, it had two bars, representing the six battles he had fought in the Iberian peninsula (in comparison: the duke of Wellington had 9 bars representing 13 battles).

--
Nice to see the two Queens with the British royal ladies.

It is likely that Kign Philippe will be made a knight of the Garter if he ever pays a state visit to the UK.

The relationship between King Willem II and the British Court became sour:
- Princess Charlotte of Wales abruptly ended their engagement
- Princess Charlotte felt in love with exactly the later King of the "rebellious" Belgians
- The British supported the separatists in the Southern Netherlands, which would become Belgium

Rebecca English said she senses a royal visit to Spain coming up for the Cambridges...

Both couples rode together today

Last edited:
The Duke of York,

Interesting choice of carriage companions I think.

The King of the Netherlands is longer in function than the King of Spain. But the King of Spain is a bit longer a Garter Knight. In usual precedence a son of the Queen comes before a grandson of the Queen. But these days, it seems all relaxed and in good nature.

The Duke of York,

Interesting choice of carriage companions I think.

Same, I thought the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall would have accompanied them but, given they are with the Queen, the Duke of York is the highest in rank after The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

Who has an idea what is that Diamond Flower Brooch Letizia is wearing?

The relationship between King Willem II and the British Court became sour:
- Princess Charlotte of Wales abruptly ended their engagement
- Princess Charlotte felt in love with exactly the later King of the "rebellious" Belgians
- The British supported the separatists in the Southern Netherlands, which would become Belgium

In addition one of his sons -the unfortunate Prince Alexander IIRC- was ignored by Queen Victoria in favor of a Saxe-Coburg. But if these orders were a personal token of respect one wonders why King Willem III ever received one, as Queen Victoria didn't have a high opinion of him - and quite rightly so.

Last edited:
Who has an idea what is that Diamond Flower Brooch Letizia is wearing?

I believe it was a gift from the Spanish Government to Princess Sophia of Greece and Denmark, for her engagement to Don Juan Carlos. Or I am mixing it with the diamond flower motif diadem.

In addition one of his sons -the unfortunate Prince Alexander IIRC- was ignored by Queen Victoria in favor of a Saxe-Coburg. But if these orders were a personal token of respect one wonders why King Willem III ever received one, as Queen Victoria didn't have a high opinion of him - and quite rightly so.

Willem III of course still was the King of neighbouring Netherlands, Grand-Duke of Luxembourg and it included a vast colonial empire. I am sure Queen Victoria thought: "Close your eyes, and think of England"... :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous:

I suppose that was likely the attitude indeed :). It seems that Willem III only received his Garter in 1882 - after reigning for 33 years and after he altered his ways upon his second marriage to Queen Emma. Queen Emma's sister Pss Helena of Waldeck married Victoria's son the Duke of Albany in 1882, I presume King Willem III received the order when he visited the UK for the wedding festivities.

Last edited:
Their Majesties looked like they thoroughly enjoyed themselves. Not ever day they have a carriage procession through Windsor

Their Majesties looked like they thoroughly enjoyed themselves. Not ever day they have a carriage procession through Windsor

Do you have a link to the carriage procession ?

Last edited by a moderator:
well, what a treat for us royal watchers! i liked maxima and letizia's outfits for such a memorable occasion. interesting that maxima took her hat off for the official picture, but letizia didn't. also, maxima and camilla wore gloves, whereas letizia and kate didn't - wonder what the appropriate protocol is in all of this.

a nice picture of the 4 royal ladies together:
https://previews.rexfeatures.com/pr...4bd9693c74b94a1cfa8ab4b3a07493578e83fb02f46db

well, what a treat for us royal watchers! i liked maxima and letizia's outfits for such a memorable occasion. interesting that maxima took her hat off for the official picture, but letizia didn't. also, maxima and camilla wore gloves, whereas letizia and kate didn't - wonder what the appropriate protocol is in all of this.

a nice picture of the 4 royal ladies together:
https://previews.rexfeatures.com/pr...4bd9693c74b94a1cfa8ab4b3a07493578e83fb02f46db

Hats and gloves are always an option, never a requirement. But I think Camilla and Máxima have the same sort of idea of a royal uniform (which is in line with Scandinavian monarchies).

Belgium and Luxembourg are hat-wearing but gloves were a bit out of use under Maria Teresa and Paola. Luckily Mathilde is picking up the noble art of wearing gloves now.

In the 'Fashion Stakes', [for me] Queen Maxima won, by a short head over the Countess of Wessex, with the Duchess of Cornwall well ahead of both Queen Letitia and the Duchess of Cambridge

Not always during State Visits, but the latest years QEII seems to have coupled it to a State Visit indeed.

Grand-Duke Henri is without a Garter too. As well the new King of Thailand and the new Emperor of Japan, of course.

Did the late GD Jean have the Garter or his mother GD Charlotte? If not, no Garters for Grand Dukes...?!

Another question: Did the King and Queen of the N.lands occupy a coach only for themselves or have they also been joined by british Royals?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom