Order of the Garter, Ceremonies and Information 1: 2003 - 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What a splendid Summers Day for the Garter Service ,hopefully it wasn't too warm given the heavy robes!

The twitter post didn't say "next" it read "next but one" so was perfectly correct and precise. More precise than "future."

Ok, I hadn’t noticed the “ but one”. You are right.

Last edited:
Court Circular 18th June:
The Queen, accompanied by The Prince of Wales, The Duke of Cambridge, The Duke of York, The Earl of Wessex, The Princess Royal, The Duke of Gloucester, The Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra, the Hon. Lady Ogilvy, today held a Chapter of the Most Noble Order of the Garter in the Throne Room, Windsor Castle.

The Duchess of Cornwall, The Countess of Wessex, Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence and The Duchess of Gloucester were present.

The following Knights Companion were present: Field Marshal the Lord Bramall, the Lord Sainsbury of Preston Candover, the Lord Ashburton, Sir Timothy Colman, Sir Antony Acland, the Lord Butler of Brockwell, the Lord Morris of Aberavon, the Rt. Hon. Sir John Major, the Lord Luce, Sir Thomas Dunne, the Lord Phillips of Worth Matravers, Admiral of the Fleet the Lord Boyce, Marshal of the Royal Air Force the Lord Stirrup, the Lady Manningham Buller, the Lord King of Lothbury, the Lord Shuttleworth and Sir David Brewer.

The Officers of the Order were: the Bishop of Winchester (Prelate), the Dean of Windsor (Register), Mr. Thomas Woodcock (Garter), Ms. Sarah Clarke (Black Rod) and Mr. Patric Dickinson (Secretary).
Lieutenant Colonel Michael Vernon (Secretary, Central Chancery of the Orders of Knighthood), the Hon. Augustus Stanhope (Page of Honour) and Lord Culloden (Page of Honour) were in attendance.

Her Majesty invested Lady Mary Fagan and the Viscount Brookeborough with the Insignia of Knights Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter.

The Queen later gave a Lunch Party.

The Installation Service was held in St. George's Chapel this afternoon.
Detachments of Her Majesty's Body Guard of the Honourable Corps of Gentlemen at Arms, The Queen's Body Guard of the Yeomen of the Guard and the Military Knights of Windsor were on duty in the Chapel.

There is no need to use such icon. They all sat according to the order of precedence. William, Andrew and Wessexes are higher in precedence for this reason they occupied the 2nd carriage. Anne's position is lower, she was in the 3rd carriage.
And they also tried to make sure that spouses were seated in the same carriage. Formally, William comes after Anne in the order of precedence (if we assume that she takes the same place as her brothers when the male and female rankings are combined - because if males have precedence over females in general she would have been outranked by the Duke of Kent) as she is a child and he a grandchild of the monarch; but in this way Anne and Timothy sat together and it's not that uncommon as William is regularly given precedence over his uncles and aunt.

The royal knights and ladies process down in reverse order of succession (William is next to his father and behind his uncles and aunt), so I assume they just reverse that for the trip back.

Last edited:
Odd time of year for this. I suppose it was late a few years ago, so it might as well be early now.

https://www.royal.uk/new-appointments-order-garter-announced

The Queen has been pleased to appoint Dame Mary Peters to be a Lady Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, and the Marquess of Salisbury to be a Knight Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter.

I suspect that the announcement today is because Dame Mary Peters served as Lord-Lieutenant in the County Borough of Belfast and the Cambridges are in Northern Ireland today.

IMG_0706.jpgIMG_0708.jpgIMG_0710.jpg

A Garter Mantle, Warrant and Statutes of the Order of the Garter on display at the Royal Palace in Stockholm.

I was there a few weeks ago. They had the most superb exhibition of Orders and Decorations, well worth a visit!

The site Vanitatis says that the Kings of Spain and the Kings of Netterlands will be present on 17 June at the ceremony of the Order of the Garter.

https://www.vanitatis.elconfidencia...axima-kate-middleton-orden-jarretera_2042934/

Yes, they have to be formally invested with the vestments of the order. It’ll be exciting to see because we haven’t seen foreign Monarchs participating in the procession and service since during the Golden Jubilee celebrations in 2002.

Yes, they have to be formally invested with the vestments of the order. It’ll be exciting to see because we haven’t seen foreign Monarchs participating in the procession and service since during the Golden Jubilee celebrations in 2002.

And their wives are expected to join them - also as Ascot is the following day I'm hoping for a big turn out.

I will be attending on Day 1 of Ascot and now have fingers crossed for the Queens of Spain and the Netherlands to attend

The site Vanitatis says that the Kings of Spain and the Kings of Netterlands will be present on 17 June at the ceremony of the Order of the Garter.

https://www.vanitatis.elconfidencia...axima-kate-middleton-orden-jarretera_2042934/

And their wives are expected to join them - also as Ascot is the following day I'm hoping for a big turn out.

I will be attending on Day 1 of Ascot and now have fingers crossed for the Queens of Spain and the Netherlands to attend

I so do hope that is true. Look forward to watching all the excitement and the glamour. Just imagine what an amazing house party they will have at Windsor for those few days.

Majesty Magazine has just shared the following post on Facebook -
GARTER DAY AT WINDSOR CASTLE

Monday 17th June 2019

A service for the Most Noble Order of the Garter will be held in St George’s Chapel, Windsor Castle, on Monday 17th June 2019. The installation of the new Garter Knights and Supernumerary Knights will take place during this service. Following the service, the Queen and members of the Royal Family will depart by carriages for their return journey to the castle.

Earlier in the day, there will be a private Investiture in the Garter Throne Room, Windsor Castle, where a Lady Companion, Lady Mary Peters, and a Knight Companion, the Marquess of Salisbury, will be invested with the order's insignia by Her Majesty.

The King of Spain and the King of the Netherlands will also attend this year’s Garter Day, during which they will be installed in St. George’s Chapel as Supernumerary, or ‘Stranger’, Knights of the Garter. The King of Spain was appointed by Her Majesty on the occasion of the Spanish state visit in July 2017, and the King of the Netherlands was appointed on the occasion of the Netherlands state visit in October 2018.

The Queen of Spain and the Queen of the Netherlands will also be in attendance and will join the carriage procession.

Background
The Order of the Garter is the oldest and most senior Order of Chivalry in Britain, established by King Edward III nearly 700 years ago. The Order includes the Queen, who is Sovereign of the Garter, several senior members of the Royal Family, and twenty-four knights or ladies chosen in recognition of their work. Knights of the Garter are chosen personally by the Sovereign to honour those who have held public office, who have contributed in a particular way to national life or who have served the Sovereign personally.

Supernumerary, or ‘Stranger’ Knights, are overseas monarchs appointed to the Order, and are in addition to the twenty-four knights or ladies. Princess (formerly Queen) Beatrix of the Netherlands was made a member of the Order in 1989. The former King Juan Carlos of Spain was also given the Order in 1988.

Lady Mary Peters, CH, DBE (born 6 July 1939) served as Her Majesty’s Lord-Lieutenant of the County Borough of Belfast between 2009 and 2014. In the 1972 summer Olympics in Munich, Lady Mary won the Gold Medal in the pentathlon. In 1975, she established The Mary Peters Trust to support talented young sportsmen and women across Northern Ireland.

Robert Gascoyne-Cecil, 7th Marquess of Salisbury, KCVO, PC, DL (born 30 September 1946) is a former Leader of the House of Lords. Lord Salisbury is a Deputy Lieutenant of Hertfordshire, and was Chairman of the Thames Diamond Jubilee Foundation, which organised the Diamond Jubilee Pageant on the River Thames in 2012. Lord Salisbury is also Chancellor of the University of Hertfordshire.

https://www.royal.uk/order-garter

Great to see the Kings of Spain and the Netherlands attending this year's investiture

How exciting to see the King of Spain and the King of the Netherlands on Garter day and to see the respective queens consort in the audience and in the carriage procession too. I am looking forward to it.

Last edited:
It’s gonna be very exciting. We haven’t seen any foreign royals take part in the Garter Service since the Golden Jubilee year. A major senior royal turnout isn’t something to pass up.

Majesty Magazine has just shared the following post on Facebook -
GARTER DAY AT WINDSOR CASTLE

Monday 17th June 2019

[...]

The King of Spain and the King of the Netherlands will also attend this year’s Garter Day, during which they will be installed in St. George’s Chapel as Supernumerary, or ‘Stranger’, Knights of the Garter. The King of Spain was appointed by Her Majesty on the occasion of the Spanish state visit in July 2017, and the King of the Netherlands was appointed on the occasion of the Netherlands state visit in October 2018.

The Queen of Spain and the Queen of the Netherlands will also be in attendance and will join the carriage procession.

[...]

https://www.royal.uk/order-garter

As a tangent, this is why I think the new rules in Spain and the Netherlands about how a queen consort is merely "Queen", not Queen of Spain or Queen of the Netherlands, are futile. Foreign royal courts and foreign media generally ignore the rule and refer to them as "of Spain" or "of the Netherlands", regardless.

King Willem-Alexander is Queen Margrethe's godson. Maybe a reason for her attendance? To see her godson joining ?

As a tangent, this is why I think the new rules in Spain and the Netherlands about how a queen consort is merely "Queen", not Queen of Spain or Queen of the Netherlands, are futile. Foreign royal courts and foreign media generally ignore the rule and refer to them as "of Spain" or "of the Netherlands", regardless.

The same thought actually crossed my mind, Yes, legally Máxima, Letizia and, incidentally, also Mathilde are simply “ Queens” and not “Queen of [xxx]”, but they keep being referred to by the latter title nonetheless.

I believe Silvia or Sonja are in a different class though as they are still officially “Queen of Sweden/Norway”.

Last edited:
I think outside of their respective countries we need to be sensible. This coming Garter Day is a perfect example and of the need to say "of Spain" or "of the Netherlands". Has anyone seen the Queen . . . oh, what a marvellous game of who's on First . . .

The Queen seems to genuinely like Felipe and Willem Alexander, whom she has known since they were teenagers. I assume she is not as close to Philippe of the Belgians as she is to the Spanish and Dutch monarchs, but she has met the new Belgian king and queen privately at least twice lately. It would be a pity if she could not have the opportunity to honor Philippe with a knighthood of the Garter before the end of her reign, especially considering that Philippe's father never received that distinction when he was king. That will depend, however, on the willingness of the British government to schedule a Belgian state visit, which seems very unlikely now.

can one be in the public of the garter ceremony? a spanish friend is in london over those dates and is thinking of visiting windsor on that day.

If your friend hasn't already applied for a ticket and received it then no.

Applications are opened in April and close pretty quickly.

I was able to get such a ticket some years ago.

She could still go to Windsor but she won't be able to see the castle or any of the Garter ceremony without an already issued ticket.

After the excitement of a State Visit and Trooping in one week I am glad we have a 'slow' week ahead before the Garter and Ascot week starting on the 17th.

Looking forward to the Garter Service this year hope the weather improves for the event!

I need some Ascot in my life. Can't wait. Will have to wait! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom