Order of the Garter, Ceremonies and Information 1: 2003 - 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Peter Hunt of the BBC on Twitter

Peter Hunt‏
Verified account @BBCPeterHunt

June 19 the Queen will "dress down" -- State Opening; Prince William won't have to "dress up" --Order of Garter service has been cancelled

Reason for cancellation

For June State Opening, it'll be a "dressed down " Queen -- no robes or crown. Last happened after March 1974 snap election.

Peter Hunt‏
Ceremonial elements for this year's State Opening being scaled back because of lack of time to rehearse. Trooping the Colour 2 days earlier

Peter Hunt‏
Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall won't be at the State Opening. Likely to return next year. (along with the carriages).

Also:

'Dressed down' Queen to appear at State Opening - BBC News

Last edited:
For Belgium only King Albert Ist for what he did durond WW1.
No Kings Leopold III, Baudouin , Albert II and maybe Philippe ?

For Belgium only King Albert Ist for what he did durond WW1.
No Kings Leopold III, Baudouin , Albert II and maybe Philippe ?

I believe both King Leopold III and King Baudouin were Knights of the Garter. In fact, Albert II and now Philippe are the only Kings of the Belgians who were not given that honor.

King Philippe will probably become a Knight if there is a Belgian state visit to the UK.

Last edited:
I believe both King Leopold III and King Baudouin were Knights of the Garter. In fact, Albert II and now Philippe are the only Kings of the Belgians who were not given that honor.

King Philippe will probably become a Knight if there is a Belgian state visit to the UK.

That’s right. All Belgian Kings of the past with the only exception of Albert II (who is said to be very disappointed about it) received the Order of Garter. Blog Real kindly provided a link to all members of the Garter today.

When will Camilla and Catherine be created ladies of the Garter? The duke of Edinburgh was made knight of the garter in 1947 (on the occasion of his wedding I suppose) together with The princess Elizabeth. So, it would be a nice gesture to make the future queens also ladies of the garter. Queen Alexandra, queen Mary and the Queen Mother were all made Ladies of the Garter in the year of their husbands ascending the throne, so I assume that was in connection to them becoming queens, so that's probably what we should expect for Camilla and Catherine as well. Nonetheless, it is interesting that Philip was treated differently as the future queen's husband Philip; as a man he didn't have to wait for his wife to ascend the throne to become a knight marrying the heir presumptive was enough.

Last edited:
I am sorry, indeed King Leopold III and King Baudouin were knights of the Garter.(Thanks to the list)
They were no State Visits from and to UK during King Albert II 's Reign.?

I am sorry, indeed King Leopold III and King Baudouin were knights of the Garter.(Thanks to the list)

No State Visit hence he didn’t receive the Garter. It wasn’t a snub.

When will Camilla and Catherine be created ladies of the Garter? The duke of Edinburgh was made knight of the garter in 1947 (on the occasion of his wedding I suppose) together with The princess Elizabeth. So, it would be a nice gesture to make the future queens also ladies of the garter. Queen Alexandra, queen Mary and the Queen Mother were all made Ladies of the Garter in the year of their husbands ascending the throne, so I assume that was in connection to them becoming queens, so that's probably what we should expect for Camilla and Catherine as well. Nonetheless, it is interesting that Philip was treated differently as the future queen's husband Philip; as a man he didn't have to wait for his wife to ascend the throne to become a knight marrying the heir presumptive was enough.

Prince Philip was:
1) a cousin
2) a war hero
3) in the line of succession to the british throne

Perhaps, Mr John Smith would be treated differently in the same situation.

The Queen was going to go on a state visit to Belgium in 2003, but it was canceled by the British government due to the likelihood of war in Iraq and never rescheduled.

Last edited:
https://www.royal.uk/appointments-order-garter

The Queen has been graciously pleased to appoint Dame Mary Fagan to be a Lady Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, and the Viscount Brookeborough to be a Knight Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter.

Dame Mary Fagan, DCVO served as Lord-Lieutenant of Hampshire between 1994 and 2014 and was also Chancellor of the University of Winchester from 2006 until 2014.

Alan Henry Brooke, 3rd Viscount Brookeborough has served as Personal Lord in Waiting to The Queen since 1997 and has been Lord Lieutenant of Co. Fermanagh, Northern Ireland since 2012. He served with HM Armed Forces between 1971 and 1994, with 17th/21st Lancers, the Ulster Defence Regiment and the Royal Irish Regiment.

The Queen has been graciously pleased to appoint Dame Mary Fagan to be a Lady Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, and the Viscount Brookeborough to be a Knight Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter.

Dame Mary Fagan, DCVO served as Lord-Lieutenant of Hampshire between 1994 and 2014 and was also Chancellor of the University of Winchester from 2006 until 2014.

Alan Henry Brooke, 3rd Viscount Brookeborough has served as Personal Lord in Waiting to The Queen since 1997 and has been Lord Lieutenant of Co. Fermanagh, Northern Ireland since 2012. He served with HM Armed Forces between 1971 and 1994, with 17th/21st Lancers, the Ulster Defence Regiment and the Royal Irish Regiment.

What about King Felipe? I received the Order last year during the State Visit, is it usually he is not on the "list"?

I could be totally wrong but from what I understand, foreign royals that are endowed with the Order of the Garter are in a separate classification called "Stranger Knights". They aren't part of 24 perpetual Knight Companions of the Garter.

Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Correct - both foreign and British royals are extra to the 24 knights.

Well, no big surprises but congratulations to the two people appointed.

I believe the tradition is for Queen Consort be the first one created ladies of the Garter by the monarch. So Camilla will be the first one once Charles becomes king, and Kate once William becomes king.

I have read on Twitter that Prince Philip will not be attending today's Order of the Garter ceremony. This is not unexpected but still sad. It says that Prince Charles will be accompanying his mother today so he will likely be in the carriage with her. Camilla will likely travel with William and Catherine (if she attends) or she'll be with Edward, Sophie and Andrew.

There are many people mentioning on Twitter that they hope Meghan attends today. I'm guessing they don't realise that only Garter Knights and spouses attend...

There are many people mentioning on Twitter that they hope Meghan attends today. I'm guessing they don't realise that only Garter Knights and spouses attend...
There's a loud part of this fandom that is making everything about Meghan and can't imagine that she won't be included in everything.

KP says The Duke of Cambridge will attend the garter service later, no mention of Catherine.

KP says The Duke of Cambridge will attend the garter service later, no mention of Catherine.

Catherine don’t usually attend when she’s on maternity leave. Although I hoped she would attend the service.

As Lord in Waiting, Viscount Brookesborough attended to several visiting heads of state, including President Obama in 2011. I am glad to see that he has been honored with the Garter.

As always when the Duke is absent, the Queen shared a carriage with Charles and Camilla, always a nice sight !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom