The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-17-2019, 05:47 PM
Heir Apparent

It would have been nice if princess Beatrix as fellow Lady of the Garter and mother of the newest member had been invited as well.

And Juan Carlos as fellow knight but he recently retired from public life...

Probably there were 3 knights and 1 lady companion installed today. Next to the two supernumeray members lady Mary Peters and the marquess of Salisbury (both appointed in february) were expected to be installed today.

Fun fact: the two kings are the second youngest and third youngest knights. William is the only younger knight.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:18 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Order of the Garter 2003-2019: Ceremonies and Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Probably there were 3 knights and 1 lady companion installed today. Next to the two supernumeray members lady Mary Peters and the marquess of Salisbury (both appointed in february) were expected to be installed today.
Only two Ladies were installed today Dame Mary and the Marquess of Salisbury along with two stranger knights (Felipe and WA).

Dame Mary Peters is pictured here in the procession;
https://twitter.com/chrisshipitv/sta...730521088?s=21

Old 06-17-2019, 06:40 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Only two Ladies were installed today Dame Mary and the Marquess of Salisbury along with two stranger knights (Felipe and WA).

The Marquess, however, is obviously a man ( Robert Gascoyne-Cecil, former Tory leader in the House of Lords , I think).
Old 06-17-2019, 06:40 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Do they destroy it or give it to the family or put it in storage?

LaRae
At the stall, after the knight has died, they put up a smaller version of the plaque for ever. When you look at the stalls the large plaque is the current knight and the small plaques are for those whose stall it has been in the past.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post

Not sure where you got the second lady . The 4 installments today were: a lady companion (lady Mary Peters), a knight companion (the marquess of Salisbury, i.e. Robert Gascoyne-Cecil, formerly known as Viscount Cranborne) and the two supernumerous (or stranger) knights companions (the kings of Spain and the Netherlands).

Especially lady Mary Peters seems quite excited waving to lots of people during the procession (at least, I think that's her - walking up front with the marquess of Salisbury - who apparently is the 6th (out of 7) marquess of Salisbury to become a KG).
Old 06-17-2019, 08:25 PM
Heir Apparent

The Court Circular confirms that Prince William & Duchess Kate did not attend the investment of the new Order of Garter Knights/Ladies in the Throne Room at Windsor Castle, or attend the Luncheon. But, They both attended the afternoon service. No reason has been given.

https://twitter.com/Gertsroyals/stat...58442556219397

Yeah I wonder what this was about. Seems odd they weren't in attendance for that yet was at the service.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

My guess is they had something going with the kids or one of their charities.

LaRae
Old 06-17-2019, 09:06 PM
Majesty

Another hum dinger of a day for royal watchers. We had great pics. Catherine, Letizia and Maxima all got along really well. They couldn’t stop laughing. Fingers crossed for ascot. Outside of big state events we don’t see foreign royals that much, at least publicly.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Wondering if we will see any of the foreign Royals there tomorrow.

LaRae
Old 06-17-2019, 09:55 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Wondering if we will see any of the foreign Royals there tomorrow.

LaRae
Maxima and Willem Alexander will be at the races tomorrow.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Maxima and Willem Alexander will be at the races tomorrow.
Ok good..hadn't seen any announcements!

LaRae
Old 06-17-2019, 10:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

I am especially enjoying this years Garter ceremony because of the foreign royals. I think it is great the way Britain upholds so many of these ancient traditions. Really loved seeing all the ladies interacting together and all looking lovely.
For me I loved Queen Letizia's outfit the best. The only downside was that the magnificent diamond flower brooch was a bit lost by the pattern of the dress.
Looking forward to Royal Ascot now.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:50 AM
Aristocracy

Queen Letizia and Queen Maxima, both looked beautiful. Each one with her own style and personality. Maxima smile was radiant. Letizia is a gorgeous women with a very serious look. Queen Letizia has such presence. Maxima seems to be over the top. Can you be that happy all the time?
Old 06-18-2019, 12:55 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
The Court Circular confirms that Prince William & Duchess Kate did not attend the investment of the new Order of Garter Knights/Ladies in the Throne Room at Windsor Castle, or attend the Luncheon. But, They both attended the afternoon service. No reason has been given.

https://twitter.com/Gertsroyals/stat...58442556219397

Yeah I wonder what this was about. Seems odd they weren't in attendance for that yet was at the service.
Is it normal for them to attend everything?
Old 06-18-2019, 01:16 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by julia garcia roch View Post
[....] Maxima seems to be over the top. Can you be that happy all the time?
From the very first day Máxima became known to the public, her 10.000 megawatt smile is her trade mark. But pics are misleading. It was a whole afternoon, including a religious service. You can be sure that Queen Máxima has been very solemn, restraint, serious. Like we have seen so often at solemn events indeed. But all these pics were made outside, watching the ceremonial procession and during the carriage ride in a sea of enthousiast well-wishers.

As product of a British-style college Máxima will have enjoyed and engaged in all this magic britishness. And yes, she is known for her sunny personality, for her Argentinean exuberance. That will not be different this afternoon, when the King and Queen will undoubtedly enjoy Royal Ascot as special guests of Queen Elizabeth.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

Wow
Congrats to the new knights
Queen Maxima looks magnificient
Looking forward to see Ascot and royal procession
Old 06-18-2019, 02:57 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Not sure where you got the second lady .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
The Marquess, however, is obviously a man ( Robert Gascoyne-Cecil, former Tory leader in the House of Lords , I think).
Doh! I don’t know why my head registered Marquess as a lady, I think I was going along the lines of Duchess and Countess!

Sorry guys.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
And Felipe’s was dragging the ground! I guess a very tall Knight (or Lady) will have to pass before W-A gets a robe that fits.
Comparing to the other ones (look at Charles´or Williams robes) W-A´s was really much too short.
Aren´t these robes specially and new made for every new member....?! I don´t think they are normally passed on, aren´t they?
Old 06-18-2019, 04:27 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
Comparing to the other ones (look at Charles´or Williams robes) W-A´s was really much too short.
Aren´t these robes specially and new made for every new member....?! I don´t think they are normally passed on, aren´t they?

You could see from the washed-out gold emrbroidery on King Felipe's robe, his was an old one. King Willem-Alexander was a newer one, but as they will probably never attend this ceremony again, I can not imagine a new robe is made for them.

Look at the difference in golden embroidery: https://static-sls.smf.aws.sanomaclo...&itok=QRU-bbWM
Old 06-18-2019, 05:15 AM
Majesty

“Dressed in my tabard as Fitzalan Pursuivant Extraordinary for today’s Service of Installation and Thanksgiving of the Most Noble Order of the Garter at Windsor Castle. My tabard was made for Coronation of Edward VII in 1902”

https://twitter.com/alastairbruce_/s...413799426?s=21

Some of you may recognise this gentleman from various documentaries or his work for Downton Abbey. Well he also has a job at the College of Arms

Tags
ceremony, investiture, knights of the garter, order of the garter, prince george's chapel, windsor