The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-17-2019, 01:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

The Order of the Garter is probably the most colourful ceremony of all. Followed by the Queen's Birthday Parade and the State Opening of Parliament. Where the last one is in decline (no wigs anymore, almost no hereditary peerresses, I even saw kaki pants and sneakers under Lords' robes) the first one is and remains a prime example of fabulously executed British ceremonial, with all participants joining in all their finery. It was breathtakingly beautiful and fabulous.

Old 06-17-2019, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Here's some footage of the Procession today,the Countess of Wessex is explaining something to queen Letizia at the start.

Old 06-17-2019, 02:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

Queen Maxima the winner for me today in clothing. The Duchess of Cornwall and Queen Letizia and then The Duchess of Cambridge...I love The Countess of Wessex's skirt but not so much her blouse.

LaRae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Yes, when the Grand-Duke died, his stall plate, crest and personal standard were taken down in St George's Chapel. I have seen a Twitter pic passing by.
Do they destroy it or give it to the family or put it in storage?

LaRae
Old 06-17-2019, 02:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Do they destroy it or give it to the family or put it in storage?

LaRae
It is kept:

"When a Knight Companion dies his Banner, Crest, Helm and Sword are taken down and the insignia returned to the Sovereign. The stall is roped-off and a laurel wreath bearing his name is placed in it. The Knight's stall is not used again until his Banner is offered to the Altar. This ceremony which is reminiscent of medieval practices takes place some time after the Knight's funeral which is attended by members of his family, Knights Companion and Officers of the Order. The Banner is brought in procession by the Military Knights during Evensong and is then received by the Dean and placed upon the Altar. Prayers are said for the Deceased Knight Companion and the Order.

The Garter Knight's brightly coloured brass enamel stall-plate showing the knight's full coat of arms, title and the date of appointment to the Order which is affixed to the back of the stall soon after the instillation service and remains there in perpetuity. At present there are almost 800 Garter Knights stall plates in St George's Chapel the earliest surviving plate is that of Ralph, Lord Basset of Drayton who was elected to the Order in 1368."
Old 06-17-2019, 02:36 PM
Serene Highness

Small point but when the Queens & Duchesses were stood under the canopy watching the procession, there was a woman on their left (and at one point two women) who seemed to stand in front of them to get a better view. Does anybody know who she is?
Old 06-17-2019, 02:56 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
Small point but when the Queens & Duchesses were stood under the canopy watching the procession, there was a woman on their left (and at one point two women) who seemed to stand in front of them to get a better view. Does anybody know who she is?
The only women I've seen in videos to the left of the main group are The Duchess of Gloucester and Zenouska Mowatt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post

Another question: Did the King and Queen of the N.lands occupy a coach only for themselves or have they also been joined by british Royals?
Wilhelm and Maxima were in a carriage with The Duke of York.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:02 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
The only women I've seen in videos to the left of the main group are The Duchess of Gloucester and Zenouska Mowatt.
No, on their left not ours.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
The Duke of York,

Interesting choice of carriage companions I think.
At some point, since corrected, the DM said that the Dutch couple rode in the carriage with Prince Andrew and the Duke of York!

Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-17-2019, 03:08 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
No, on their left not ours.
You know I thought you meant that after you said it, so went searching.

Do you mean these two?
https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/06...0786322399.jpg

One in Pink, one in Navy?

I don't think they intentionally stood in front of the royals, and the royals always get that canopy position and others are on the outside. Could they perhaps be wives/relatives of the other Knights/Ladies in the procession?
Old 06-17-2019, 03:36 PM
Serene Highness

Yes that's them - just wondering if anyone recognised them.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:04 PM
Imperial Majesty

Video: 2019 Order of the Garter Departures-

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-17-2019, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The Duchess of Cambridge was having having a great chat with the Spanish king and queen,to be a fly on the door of that carriage
Old 06-17-2019, 04:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Poor king Willem-Alexander. His robe is way too short...
Old 06-17-2019, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Casareal.es has just posted these 2 videos from todays Service and Procession.

Old 06-17-2019, 04:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
This is the oath all new knights take. Source via College of St George
How can non-christians take this oath? Not applicable today but there are for example muslim knights and the Japanese emeritus emperor isn't a christian either .
Old 06-17-2019, 04:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

I wonder if there has ever been a joint installation of 2 foreign monarchs on the same day?
Old 06-17-2019, 05:16 PM
Courtier

I wonder, what "Felipe el Prudente" ("Philip the Prudent") would say about Philip VI or Felipe VI becoming an english knight...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_II_of_Spain
Old 06-17-2019, 05:16 PM
Royal Highness

A wonderful day, indeed! A few observations:

1.) Letizia wins overall look -- her hat really topped off the look (all puns intended!)
2.) I loved Maxima's hat and she would have gotten top billing except that I think the top of the dress (the shirt color and belt) was a bit too casual. Nonetheless, she looked great and I look forward to seeing her at Ascot.
3.) Zenouska Mowatt seems to be attending quite a few royal events lately and doesn't seem to share her mother's distain for all things royal. Good for her!
Old 06-17-2019, 05:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Poor king Willem-Alexander. His robe is way too short...
And Felipe’s was dragging the ground! I guess a very tall Knight (or Lady) will have to pass before W-A gets a robe that fits.

Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-17-2019, 05:29 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor1319 View Post
I wonder, what "Felipe el Prudente" ("Philip the Prudent") would say about Philip VI or Felipe VI becoming an english knight...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_II_of_Spain

Considering that Philip II was once King of England, I don't think he would mind it.

He would, however, most certainly disapprove of the King of Spain receiving a decoration from a Protestant monarch and attending a service in a Protestant chapel.

Tags
ceremony, investiture, knights of the garter, order of the garter, prince george's chapel, windsor