On This Day: British Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On this day, November 21, 1840 ~ Birth of Victoria, Princess Royal, Empress of Germany, eldest child of Queen Victoria

Victoria, Princess Royal was baptized in February 1841 her god parents were as follows

Queen Adelaide
King Leopold I of Belgium
The Duke of Saxe-Coburg
The Duke of Sussex
The Duchess of Gloucester
The Duchess of Kent
A month prior to the ceremony he was granted the title of Princess Royal.

On this day, November 22, 1515 ~ Birth of Marie of Guise, Queen of Scotland, wife of James V, King of Scotland

Marie de Guise married firstly,Louis d'Orléans , Duke of Longueville in August 1534 but the duke died in June 1537.From her first marriage Marie had a son, François d'Orléans ,Duke of Longueville who was born in October 1535 but sadly died aged just 16 in September 1551.

On this day, November 23, 1589 ~ The wedding of King James I of England and Anne of Denmark at the Old Bishop's Palace in Oslo, Norway

23rd of November 1183 -Death of William Fitz Robert, 2nd Earl of Gloucester

William's father was an illegitimate son of King Henry I of England and he was a nephew of the Empress Matilda.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Fitz_Robert,_2nd_Earl_of_Gloucester

356px-William2ndEarl_OfGloucester_PresentsGreatCharter_ToTewkesburyAbbey.JPG

23rd of November 1503-Death of Margaret of York,Dowager Duchess of Burgundy.

Margaret was York the daughter of Richard ,Duke of York and Cecily Neville and was a sister to Edward IV and Richard III.
Margaret was married to Charles the Bold in July 1468

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_of_York

345px-Margaret_of_York.jpg

Last edited:
On this day, November 25, 1609 ~ Birth of Henrietta Maria of France, Queen of England, wife of King Charles I of England

Henriette-Marie of France was baptized on June 15th 1614 in the Chapel at the Louvre Palace ,her godmother was her older sister Élisabeth de France and her godfather was Cardinal de La Rochefoucauld.

Queen_Henrietta_Maria_as_a_child_by_Frans_Pourbus_the_Younger_1611.jpg

On this day, November 28, 1489 ~ Birth of Margaret Tudor, Queen of Scotland, daughter of King Henry VII of England

Margaret was named in honour of her paternal grandmother, Lady Margaret Beaufort, Countess of Richmond and Derby.
The Princess was also baptised in St. Margaret's church in Westminster.

On this day, November 29, 1934 ~ The wedding of Prince George, Duke of Kent and Princess Marina of Kent at Westminster Abbey

Last edited:
On this day, December 1, 1844 ~ Birth of Alexandra of Denmark, Queen Consort of King Edward VII of the United Kingdom

Her father Christian IX was dubbed the "Father-in-Law of Europe"

On this day, November 30, 1962: The Engagement of Princess Alexandra of Kent (daughter of Prince George, Duke of Kent and Princess Marina of Greece and Denmark) and the Hon. Angus Ogilvy (son of David Ogilvy, 12th Earl of Airlie and Lady Alexandra Coke).

Pictures and short clip from The Royal Watcher Blog:
https://royalwatcherblog.com/2019/11/30/engagement-of-princess-alexandra-of-kent-1962/

Pity that Princess Marina,Duchess of Kent did not live longer to get to know her grandchildren :previous:

On this day, December 2, 1849 ~ Demise of Adelaide of Saxe-Meiningen, Queen Consort of King William IV of the United Kingdom

On this day, December 4, 1214 ~ Demise of King William I of Scots at Stirling Castle in Scotland

On this day, December 4, 1214 ~ Demise of King William I of Scots at Stirling Castle in Scotland

King William who died at Stirling in 1214 was buried in Arbroath Abbey,the abbey was ransacked by Calvinists in 1560 and is largely a ruin today,nothing remains of the burial.

William_the_Lion.jpg

On this day, December 5, 1671 ~ Demise of Catherine Stuart, daughter of James, Duke of York at St. James Palace

On this day, December 5, 1671 ~ Demise of Catherine Stuart, daughter of James, Duke of York at St. James Palace
The Princess died not long after her mother Anne,Duchess of York who had died in March 1671 both are buried at the vault of Mary, Queen of Scots at Westminster Abbey.

On this day, Dember 6, 1421 ~ Birth of King Henry VI of England at Windsor Castle

On this day, December 8, 1542 ~ Birth of Mary, Queen of Scots at Linlithgow Palace in Scotland

On this day, December 10, 1820 ~ Birth of Princess Elizabeth of Clarence, daughter of King William IV of England

Sadly the Princess died a little of 2 months later on the 4th March 1821 ,had Elizabeth lived how history would have changed,no queen Victoria.

Seems a life time since I took my break from this board. I came out of temporary royal break for the Queen Mum. I guess it took another special lady to bring me back.

December 13, 1906- birth of Princess Marina of Greece and Denmark, Duchess of Kent.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/12390/princess-marina_of_greece#view-photo=283082

Princess Marina was born in Athens. Her father was Prince Nicholas of Greece and Denmark. Nicholas was the third son of George I of Greece. He was the younger brother of Constantine I and older brother of Prince Andrew. Marina was the paternal cousin of Prince Philip and King Paul of Greece (father of Constantine II and Sofia).Her mother was Grand Duchess Elena Vladimirovna of Russia. Her mother was a granddaughter of Tsar Alexander II.

Marina was the youngest of three daughters. Her sister Olga married Prince Paul of Yugoslavia. Her sister Elizabeth married Count Carl Theodor of Törring-Jettenbach (a nephew of Queen Elisabeth of Belgium on his mother's side).

Marina was baptized in 1906. Her godparents included her grandfather, as well as Edward VII (her father's Uncle by marriage) , Mary of Tech, her uncle Prince Andrew, her maternal uncle Grand Duke Borris and Grand Duchess Victoria Feodorovna of Russia (maternal aunt by marriage, married to mom's brother Kyril, originally Princess Victoria Melita).

She grew up with her parents and grandparents at Tatoi palace. They had an English nanny. She and her sisters were raised to be very devout religiously, something encouraged by their grandmother.

Her first visit to England was in 1910 after the death of her godfather. She met her godmother Mary for the first time. Mary was her future mother in law.

Her family was exiled from Greece when she was 11. While the family settled in Paris Marina would spend her time with her family through out Europe.

Marina met Prince George in 1932, her second cousin. George was the 5th out of 6 children of Georve V and Queen Mary (youngest to survive childhood). In October 1934 George was made Duke of Kent in anticipation of their wedding. The couple married November 29, 1934.

It was a grand affair, the first royal wedding since the duke and duchess of York had married ten years prior. Theirs was the first wedding broadcast by wireless and using microphones. The ceremony at the abbey was followed by an Orthodox ceremony in the chapel at Buckingham palace which was converted to an Orthodox chapel for the occasion. Her bridesmaids were her paternal cousins Irene, Eugenie and Katherine of Greece, her maternal cousin Grand Duchess Kira, her first cousin once removed Princess Juliana (future Queen of the Netherlands), her future niece Princess Elizabeth (Elizabeth II)and 2 cousins of her husband Lady Iris Mountbatten and Lady Mary Cambridge.

Marina was very close to her mother in law Mary.

Sadly her husband died August 25, 1942 in an airplane crash while on active duty in the royal air force. During the war she was trained as a nurse had joined the civil nurse's union.

Marina continued to be an active member of the royal family following her husband's death. She was president of Wimbledon All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club for 26 years a position her son Edward now holds. She represented the queen abroad on a number of occasions including on the independence of Ghana and Botswana. She had a number of other patronages including the Women's hospital Fund.

In 1961 when her son was to be married, Marina was permitted by the queen to be referred to as Princess Marina of Kent, instead of the Dowager Duchess.

She died August 27, 1968 at Kensington palace from a brain tumor at 61. Her funeral on August 30 was the final event her brother in law the Duke of Windsor would attend. She was buried in the royal burial ground of Frogmore.

Marina and her husband had three children.

-Edward: The current Duke of Kent. He married Katharine Lucy Mary Worsley with whom he has three children and 10 grandchildren.
-Alexandra: She married Hon. Angus James Bruce Ogilvy who died in 2004. They had two children and four grandchildren.
-Michael: sadly his father died seven weeks after his birth. He married Baroness Marie Christine von Reibnitz and had 2 children and have 2 granddaughters.

Of her 7 grandchildren, Marina saw the birth of four. Edward's youngest Nicholas and both of Michael's children were born after her death.

The Kent city of London fringe tiara was a wedding gift to Marina from the city.

The Kent City of London Fringe Tiara | The Court Jeweller

Last edited:
On this day, December 13, 1470 ~ Wedding of Edward, Prince of Wales, son of King Henry VI of England and Lady Anne Neville

I had not realised until now just how young she was when she died. I was a youngster at the time and 61 probably seemed really old. We also forget that in their time they were the young, beautiful trendsetters of their time, just as Princess Anne, Margaret ,the Gloucesters and the Kents were in the 60's and 70's.

I had not realised until now just how young she was when she died. I was a youngster at the time and 61 probably seemed really old. We also forget that in their time they were the young, beautiful trendsetters of their time, just as Princess Anne, Margaret ,the Gloucesters and the Kents were in the 60's and 70's.

Its such a shame that Princess Marina did not live longer ,she did live long enough to see 2 of her children marry.

Back
Top Bottom