On This Day: British Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On this day, February 13, 1689 ~ King William III of England and Queen Mary of England became co-rulers

On this day, February 14, 1317 ~ Demise of Margaret of France, the second Queen Consort of King Edward I

Marguerite de France was the daughter of of Philippe III by his second wife Marie de Brabant and was married off to the 60 year old Edward I in 1299 .The marriage produced 2 surviving sons ,Thomas,Earl of Norfolk and Edmind,Earl of Kent.The Queen was widowed aged 26 she never remarried and died at Marlborough Castle, Wiltshire.The queen dowagers remains were buried at Christ Church Greyfriars in Newgate ,London however her tomb was lost during the Reformation and the medieval church was was destroyed by the Great Fire of London in 1666.

166px-MargaridaFran%C3%A7a.jpg

William is also the only king whose legitimate offspring (from remarriage after Mary's death) would not have been the direct heir to the throne.

I know King Stephen acknowledged Henry Plantagenet as his heir in England ahead of his own son but that was an attempt to bring peace after years of upheaval over a disputed succession.

I know King Stephen acknowledged Henry Plantagenet as his heir in England ahead of his own son but that was an attempt to bring peace after years of upheaval over a disputed succession.

And totally passed over the succession rights of his sole survivng son,William I, Count of Boulogne in favour of Henry ,Count of Anjou.

On this day, February 17, 1861 ~ Birth of Princess Helena of Waldeck and Pyrmont, the wife of Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany

On this day, February 18, 1516 ~ Birth of Queen Mary I at Greenwich Palace

1478 George, Duke of Clarence was executed for treason against Edward IV. A private execution believed to have been by being drowned in wine.

1478 George, Duke of Clarence was executed for treason against Edward IV. A private execution believed to have been by being drowned in wine.

The Duke was later buried at Tewkesbury Abbey,his son Edward Plantagenet, 17th Earl of Warwick was executed by Henry VII in 1499 and his daughter,Lady Margaret Pole, 8th Countess of Salisbury went to the block under Henry VIII's orders in 1541.

The Duke was later buried at Tewkesbury Abbey,his son Edward Plantagenet, 17th Earl of Warwick was executed by Henry VII in 1499 and his daughter,Lady Margaret Pole, 8th Countess of Salisbury went to the block under Henry VIII's orders in 1541.

Of all Henry's foul deeds the murder (which is what it was) of Margaret Pole was one of the most outrageous.

Of all Henry's foul deeds the murder (which is what it was) of Margaret Pole was one of the most outrageous.

Agreed. From what I recall- everyone was appalled at the time. It was that blatantly murder.

Agreed. From what I recall- everyone was appalled at the time. It was that blatantly murder.

And she the fact that Margaret was an elderly cousin of Henry's she had been one of Katherine of Aragon's ladies in waiting and Governess to Princess Mary counted for nothing.Also she was one of the richest peers in England and staunch supporter of Katherine and Mary.

And she the fact that Margaret was an elderly cousin of Henry's she had been one of Katherine of Aragon's ladies in waiting and Governess to Princess Mary counted for nothing.Also she was one of the richest peers in England and staunch supporter of Katherine and Mary.

Weren't Henry & Maragaret first cousins once removed? The same as Charles & the Gloucester/Kents?

Weren't Henry & Maragaret first cousins once removed? The same as Charles & the Gloucester/Kents?

Yes I believe they were as George Plantagenet, 1st Duke of Clarence was the great uncle of Henry VIII but that mattered not to Henry VII or Henry VIII when executing members of that family.

I was reading that George and his wife Isabel are buried at the Beauchamp Chapel at Tewkesbury Abbey,what a shame that Lady Margaret Countess of Salisbury was never reburied along side her parents but lies in an unmarked burial at the Chapel of St. Peter ad Vincula within the Tower.

Yes I believe they were as George Plantagenet, 1st Duke of Clarence was the great uncle of Henry VIII but that mattered not to Henry VII or Henry VIII when executing members of that family.

I was reading that George and his wife Isabel are buried at the Beauchamp Chapel at Tewkesbury Abbey,what a shame that Lady Margaret Countess of Salisbury was never reburied along side her parents but lies in an unmarked burial at the Chapel of St. Peter ad Vincula within the Tower.

Indeed it didn't. Not that the Yorkists had been any more merciful.

Tewkesbury is a marvellous building. I will look out for that chapel the next time I visit. It is sad I agree. That was the unfortunate fate of traitors executed within the Tower precincts.

Her brother Edward Plantagenet, 17th Earl of Warwick was buried at Bisham Priory but sadly nothing has survived the Reformation.

Her brother Edward Plantagenet, 17th Earl of Warwick was buried at Bisham Priory but sadly nothing has survived the Reformation.

That's in a lovely spot in the Thames valley but Bisham Priory is not a place I'd known about before. Too many religious houses were lost:sad:

That's in a lovely spot in the Thames valley but Bisham Priory is not a place I'd known about before. Too many religious houses were lost:sad:

It was dissolved in 1538 and was the main burial site for most of the Earls of Salisbury and families.Nothing remains of the Priory church or its buildings.

Yes Margaret and Elizabeth of York (Henry's mother) were first cousins.

Edward Warwick was held in solitary confinement in The Tower by Henry VII immediately after Bosworth - he was ten years old! - left totally uneducated and enticed into a "treasonable" offense at 24 so he could be executed before Prince Arthur could be wed to Catalina of Aragon.

Last edited:

Margaret has rested more peacefully in The Tower than her parents as the vault at Tewkesbury has seen much disturbance over the centuries (including extensive flooding) and recent investigations have shown that there may be only a few scattered bones that may belong to George and Isabel still resting there. https://meanderingthroughtime.weebl...ge-duke-of-clarence-a-sad-end-to-a-sorry-tale

On this day, February 19, 1594 ~ Birth of Henry Frederick, Prince of Wales, the son of King James I of England

Back
Top Bottom