On This Day: British Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
November 10th,1293 : Death of Dame Isabel de Forz, 8th Countess of Devon

Isabel was the second wife of William de Forz, 4th Earl of Albemarle and he died in 1260.Following the death of her older brother in 1262 ,Isabel became Countess of Devon,Baroness of Plymouth and Lady of the Isle of Wight.
Her youngest daughter,Lady Aveline de Forz married Edmund Earl of Lancaster and Earl of Leicester .
Before Isabel died she sold the Isle of Wight to the king Edward I who had sent Walter Langtonthe Bishop of Coventry and Lichfield to secure the sale on Isabel's death bed.
The Countess died shortly afterwards and was buried at Breamore Priory in Hampshire.
The Priory was dissolved in 1540 and nothing has survived.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isabel_de_Forz,_8th_Countess_of_Devon

On this day, November 13, 1312 ~ Birth of King Edward III of England at Windsor Castle in Windsor, England

On this day, November 14, 1650 ~ Birth of Willem III, Prince of Orange (King William III of England) at Binnenhof Palace in The Hague, the Dutch Republic

Last edited by a moderator:
On this day, November 13, 1312 ~ Birth of King Edward III of England at Windsor Castle in Windsor, England

He was known as Edward of Windsor prior to his accession and a time of great machinations at the English court by his mother Isabelle of France.
The Wars of Scottish Independence were also raging with the derisive Battle of Bannockburn taking place in June 1314.
The Great Famine of 1315–1317 also started in the Spring of 1315.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Famine_of_1315–1317

15th of November 1527 : Death of Catherine of York,Countess of Devon

Catherine of York was the daughter of Edward IV of England and Elizabeth Woodville and an aunt of Henry VIII.
The Princess lived quietly at her estates and was on good terms with the King and Queen.
Following her death,Catherine was buried at a side chapel of St Peter's Church, Tiverton and a tomb was ereceted.
Sadly the burial chapel was destroyed during the Reformation and pulled down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catherine_of_York

Katherine_of_York.jpg

On this day, November 16, 1093 ~ Demise of Saint Margaret of Scotland, Queen of Scots, wife of King Malcolm III of Scots, at Edinburgh Castle in Scotland

On this day, November 16, 1093 ~ Demise of Saint Margaret of Scotland, Queen of Scots, wife of King Malcolm III of Scots, at Edinburgh Castle in Scotland

Queen Margaret's husband ,Malcom III and son Edward were both killed at the Battle of Alnwick against the English on the 13th of November 1093.
The Queen was said to have died of grief and was buried at Dunfermline Abbey in Fife,her tomb survived until the Scottish Reformation in 1560.

Saint Margaret of Scotland
Saint_Margaret_of_Scotland.jpg

On this day, November 17, 1558 ~ Demise of Queen Mary I of England at St. James Palace in London, England

On this day, November 17, 1558 ~ Demise of Queen Mary I of England at St. James Palace in London, England

The Queen had never recovered from the loss of Calais, England's last possession in France, in January 1558.The queen became ill in May 1558 and went into a gradual decline.
Mary's will stated that the queen wanted to be buried beside her mother in a joint tomb at Westminster Abbey.
The Queen was given a Roman Catholic Funeral on December 14th,1558 and buried at Henry VII's Lady Chapel in Westminster Abbey.
Queen Mary's beloved cousin Margaret Douglas the Countess of Lennox acted as her chief mourner and the Bishop of Winchester, John White read a beautiful homage at the Funeral.

‘The Epitaph upon the death of our late virtuous Quene Marie deceased’
“How many noble men restored
and other states also
Well showed her princely liberal heart
which gave both friend and foe.
As princely was her birth, so princely was her life:
Constant, courtise, modest and mild;
a chaste and chosen wife.
Oh mirror of all womanhood!
Oh Queen of virtues pure!
Oh Constant Marie! Filled with grace,
No age can thee obscure.”

17th of November 1558 : Death of Reginald Pole. Cardinal Archbishop of Canterbury.

Cardinal Pole was the third son of Sir Richard Pole and the martyred Lady Margaret Pole,Countess of Salisbury.
His late mother was a Plantagenet a niece of both of kings Edward IV and Richard III.
Cardinal Pole lived in exile during the later years of the reign of Henry VIII and Edward VI but returned to England in 1554 and became one of Queen Mary's chief Ministers.
Cardinal Pole died in London during an influenza epidemic, on the 17th of November 1558 only hours after the death of Queen Mary.
His remains are buried at Canterbury Cathedral.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reginald_Pole

505px-British_%28English%29_School_-_Reginald_Pole_%281500%E2%80%931558%29%2C_Cardinal_and_Archbishop_of_Canterbury_-_1129160_-_National_Trust.jpg

On this day, November 19, 1600 ~ Birth of King Charles I of England at Dunfermline Palace in Fife, Scotland

On this day, November 20, 1271 ~ Edward I was proclaimed King of England after demise of his father Henry III. Edward would take two years to return to England from the Ninth Crusade.

On this day, November 20, 1271 ~ Edward I was proclaimed King of England after demise of his father Henry III. Edward would take two years to return to England from the Ninth Crusade.

Edward I narrowly escaped an assassination attempt in June 1272 by a Syrian Nizari supposedly sent by Baibars.

474px-Gustave_Dore_Crusades_Edward_I_kills_his_attempted_assassin.jpg

On this day, November 23, 1886 ~ Birth of Prince Alexander of Battenberg at Windsor Castle in Windsor, England. He became Alexander Mountbatten, 1st Marquess of Carisbrooke.

23rd of November 1503 : Death of Margaretof York,Dowager Duchess of Burgundy

Margaret was the sister of Edward IV and Richard III and the widow of Charles the Bold,Duke of Burgundy.Margret was a power player in European history and was highly effective as the power behind her step-daughter, Mary,Duchess of Burgundy throne.The Dowager Duchess died a Mechelen in modern day Belgium and her body was buried at the Church of the Cordeliers in Mechelen and her heart at the Carthusian Priory at Herne.
Neither monument has survived.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_of_York

345px-Margaret_of_York.jpg

On this day, November 25, 1638 ~ Birth of Catherine of Braganza, Queen of England, wife of King Charles II of England, at the Ducal Palace in Vila Vicosa, Portugal

On this day, November 27, 1833 ~ Birth of Princess Mary Adelaide of Cambridge, Duchess of Teck, at Cambridge House in Hanover, Kingdom of Hanover

On this day, November 28, 1290 ~ Demise of Eleanor of Castile, Queen of England, wife of King Edward I of England, at Harby, Nottinghamshire, England

On this day, November 28, 1290 ~ Demise of Eleanor of Castile, Queen of England, wife of King Edward I of England, at Harby, Nottinghamshire, England

Eleanor of Castile died at Harby Castle and so grief stricken was the king that he had 12 Stone Crosses erected in her memory from along the route of her funeral procession.The Puritans sadly destroyed many of these Crosses though some were later restored in the Victorian era.

The embalmed heart of the queen was buried Blackfriars in London and survived until 1538 when the Dominican Priory was dissolved and destroyed.
The embalmed body of the queen is buried at Westminster Abbey.

Also buried at this vault are the children of Edward and Eleanor who died young

Katherine of England +Sept 1264
Joan of England + Sept 1265
John of England +Aug 1271
Alphonso, Earl of Chester +August 1284

On this day, November 29, 1338 ~ Birth of Lionel of Antwerp, Duke of Clarence at Antwerp, Duchy of Brabant

On this day, November 30, 1719 ~ Birth of Augusta of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg, Princess of Wales, wife of Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales, in Gotha Duchy of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg

On this day, December 1, 1844 ~ Birth of Alexandra of Denmark, Queen of England, wife of King Edward VII of England, at the Yellow Palace in Copenhagen, Denmark

:advent::advent::advent::advent:

On this day, December 2, 1849 ~ Demise of Adelaide of Saxe-Meiningen, Queen of England, wife of King William IV of England, at Benley Priory in Stanmore, Middlesex, England

On this day, December 6, 1421 ~ Birth of King Henry VI of England at Windsor Castle in Windsor, England

On this day, December 8, 1542 ~ Birth of Mary, Queen of Scots at Linlithgow Palace in Scotland

:stocking::stocking::stocking::stocking::stocking::stocking::stocking::stocking::stocking::stocking::stocking::stocking::stocking:

On this day, December 8, 1542 ~ Birth of Mary, Queen of Scots at Linlithgow Palace in Scotland

Mary was the only surviving child of James V & Marie de Guise.

In May 1540 ,Marie had given birth to a son, James, Duke of Rothesay but he sadly died in April 1541.
Robert, Duke of Albany was burn in April 1541 but died 48 hours after his older brother.

On this day, December 10, 1820 ~ Birth of Princess Elizabeth of Clarence, the daughter of King William IV of England, at St. James Palace in London, England

:advent::advent::advent::advent:

On this day, December 12, 1574 ~ Birth of Anne of Denmark, Queen Consort of King James I of England, at Skanderborg Castle in Skanderborg, Denmark

:holly::holly::holly::holly::holly::holly::holly::holly::holly::holly:

On this day, December 12, 1574 ~ Birth of Anne of Denmark, Queen Consort of King James I of England, at Skanderborg Castle in Skanderborg, Denmark

:holly::holly::holly::holly::holly::holly::holly::holly::holly::holly:

Anne was the daughter of Frederick II of Denmark and Sophie of Mecklenburg-Güstrow and was raised along with her older sister at the court of her maternal grandmother,Elizabeth ,Duchess of Mecklenburg.

375px-G%C3%BCstrow_Schlossmuseum_-_Elisabeth_von_D%C3%A4nemark.jpg

On this day, December 14, 1895 ~ Birth of King George VI of England at York Cottage at Sandringham in Norfolk, England

:cracker::cracker::cracker::cracker::cracker::cracker::cracker::cracker::cracker::cracker::cracker::cracker::cracker::cracker:

On this day, December 16, 1485 ~ Birth of Catherine of Aragon, Queen of England, at the Archbishop's Palace in Alcala de Henares in the Kingdom of Castile
:holly::holly::holly::holly::holly::holly::holly::holly::holly::holly::holly::holly:

On this day, December 16, 1485 ~ Birth of Catherine of Aragon, Queen of England, at the Archbishop's Palace in Alcala de Henares in the Kingdom of Castile
:holly::holly::holly::holly::holly::holly::holly::holly::holly::holly::holly::holly:

Katherine was the the youngest surviving child of King Ferdinand II of Aragon and Queen Isabella I of Castile. The future Queen of England was named in honour of her great-grandmother, Catherine of Lancaster!

320px-Juan_de_Flandes_002.jpg

On this day, December 23, 1230 ~ Demise of Berengaria of Navarre, Queen of England, wife of King Richard I of England, at L'Epau Abbey in Le Mans, County of Maine

On this day, December 25, 1066 ~ William I was crowned King of England at Westminster Abbey

On this day, December 28, 1694 ~ Demise of Queen Mary II of England at Kensington Palace in London, England

On this day, December 30, 1460 ~ Demise of Richard, 3rd Duke of York at the Battle of Wakefield during the Wars of the Roses

On this day, December 31, 1705 ~ Demise of Catherine of Braganza, Queen of England, spouse of King Charles II of England, at the Palace of Bemposta in Lisbon, Portugal

On this day, January 1, 1511 ~ Birth of Henry, Duke of Cornwall, the son of King Henry VIII of England and Queen Catherine of Aragon, at Richmond Palace

On this day, January 3, 1437 ~ Demise of Catherine of Valois, Queen Consort of King Henry V of England, at the Abbey of St. Saviour in Bermondsey, London, England

On this day, January 6, 1367 ~ Birth of King Richard II of England in the Archbishop's Palace in Bordeaux, Duchy of Aquitaine

I think it's a good idea to start a thread on this topic, I think such anniversaries are interesting

On this day, January 7, 1796 ~ Birth of Princess Charlotte of Wales at Carlton House in London, England

On this day, January 8, 1864 ~ Birth of Prince Albert Victor of Wales, son of King Edward VII of England, at Frogmore House in Windsor, England

On this day, January 16, 1942 ~ Demise of Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught at Bagshot Park in Surrey, England

On this day, January 28, 1457 ~ Birth of King Henry VII of England at Pembroke Castle, Wales

On this day, February 1, 1707 ~ Birth of Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales, son of King George II of England, in Hanover, Electorate of Hanover

On this day, February 6, 1665 ~ Birth of Queen Anne of England at St. James Palace in London, England

On this day, February 8, 1772 ~ Demise of Augusta of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg, Dowager Princess of Wales, wife of Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales, at Carlton House in London, England

On this day, February 11, 1466 ~ Birth of Elizabeth of York, Queen Consort of King Henry VII of England at Westminster Palace in London, England

Back
Top Bottom