On This Day: British Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Margaret Beaufort died during the reign of her grandson Henry VIII, who did not inherit his father's frugality.

Margaret Beaufort died during the reign of her grandson Henry VIII, who did not inherit his father's frugality.

Lol Henry VIII certainly didn’t!

Both men went to the extremes in terms of finances.

I'm aware of that and also Lady Margaret was very well off at the time of her death unlike Elizabeth Woodville who was buried like a poor relation.

Thank goodness Henry VIII wasn't as frugal as Henry VII.

On this day, June 13, 1625 ~ The Wedding of King Charles I of England and Henrietta Maria of France at St. Augustine's Church in Canterbury, England

On this day, June 13, 1625 ~ The Wedding of King Charles I of England and Henrietta Maria of France at St. Augustine's Church in Canterbury, England

Henriette Marie of France and Navarre was never crowned queen and did attend her husbands Coronation in February 1626 and watched from behind a screen.

The queen had a Scottish Roman Catholic priest as her confessor Robert Phillip who accompanied the queen into exile. Fr Robert had come to the queen's household via the offices of Cardinal Pierre de Bérulle who had been chaplain to Henri IV.

On this day, June 14, 1423 ~ The Wedding of John, Duke of Bedford, son of King Henry IV of England, and Anne of Burgundy at Troyes Cathedral, France

The duke of Bedford along with being a royal prince also acted as Regent for her nephew Henry VI.
His political marriage to Anne de Bourgogne was childless and following her death in 1432 he married secondly Jacquetta de Luxembourg.

On this day, June 15, 1330 ~ Birth of Edward of Woodstock, Prince of Wales, son of King Edward III of England, at Woodstock Palace in Oxfordshire, England

On this day, June 16, 1332 ~ Birth of Isabella of England, Countess of Bedford, daughter of King Edward III of England

On this day, June 17, 1239 ~ Birth of King Edward I of England at the Palace of Westminster in London, England

On this day, June 18, 1318 ~ Birth of Eleanor of Woodstock, daughter of King Edward II of England, at Woodstock Palace in Oxfordshire, England

On this day, June 19, 1566 ~ Birth of James VI, King of Scotland (later also King James I of England), son of Mary Queen of Scots, at Edinburgh Castle

On this day, June 20, 1837 ~ Demise of King William IV of England at Windsor Castle

On this day, June 19, 1566 ~ Birth of James VI, King of Scotland (later also King James I of England), son of Mary Queen of Scots, at Edinburgh Castle
The Prince had a lavish Roman Catholic baptism at Sterling in December and was given the titles Duke of Rothesay, Earl of Carrick, Lord of the Isles, and Baron of Renfrew.

His godparents were Charles IX of France and Elizabeth I of England who sent representatives to the ceremony .The Baptism was presided over by John Hamilton, Archbishop of St Andrews.

But he was raised as Protestant after being separated from his mother.

20th of June 1389 : Birth of John of Lancaster, 1st Duke of Bedford

John was an English Prince and military commander during the closing years of the 100 years War with France.He was the third son of King Henry IV of England and Mary de Bohun and was born 10 years prior to his father becoming king of England.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_of_Lancaster,_1st_Duke_of_Bedford

310px-John%2C_Duke_of_Bedford_-_British_Library_Add_MS_18850_f256v_-_detail.jpg

On this day, June 21, 1221 ~ The Wedding of Joan of England, daughter of King John of England, to King Alexander II of Scotland at York Minster in York, England

June 21st,1377 : Death of Edward III of England

Edward III was king of England from 1327 until his death at Richmond and was buried at Westminster Abbey. His queen Philippa of Hainault had died in 1369.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_III_of_England

Tomb Effigies of Edward III and Queen Philippa at Westminster Abbey.
394px-EDuard_Filpa.jpg

On this day, June 22, 1911 ~ The Coronation of King George V of Great Britain at Westminster Abbey in London, England

22nd of June 1535 ; Execution of John Cardinal Fisher, Bishop of Rochester on Tower Hill by order of Henry VIII

Cardinal Fisher had refused to accept Henry VIII as the supreme head of the Church of England and had been imprisoned along with Sir Thomas More.
Fisher was also the most vocal supporter of Catherine of Aragon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Fisher

369px-San_Juan_Fisher_Obispo_de_Rochester_y_M%C3%A1rtir.jpg

Scene of his execution at "The Tudors":

Cardinal Fisher was extremely popular and news of his execution caused a major outcry in London.

The summer of 1535 was a bloody one with Fisher, Sir Thomas Moore, Prior Houghton, the Carthusian Martyrs.

On this day, June 23, 1456 ~ Birth of Margaret of Denmark, Queen Consort of King James III of Scotland, in Copenhagen, Denmark

On this day, June 23, 1456 ~ Birth of Margaret of Denmark, Queen Consort of King James III of Scotland, in Copenhagen, Denmark

Marguerite/Margaret was the daughter of Christian I of Denmark who was king of Denmark, Norway and Sweden and also duke of Schleswig and of of Holstein. Her mother was Dorothea of Brandenburg who was the mother of 2 Danish kings.

On this day, June 24, 1311 ~ Birth of Philippa of Hainault, Queen of England, wife of King Edward III of England, at Valenciennes, Flanders

June 24th,1314 : Death of Gilbert de Clare, 8th Earl of Gloucester, 7th Earl of Hertford at the Battle of Bannockburn, Scotland.

Gilbert was a grandson of King Edward I ,his mother was Joan of England or Acre and his father Gilbert de Clare, 7th Earl of Gloucester.
The Earl was killed at the Battle of Bannockburn, Scotland and his body was taken back to England and buried at Tewkesbury Abbey.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert_de_Clare,_8th_Earl_of_Gloucester

On this day, June 25, 1533 ~ Demise of Mary Tudor, daughter of King Henry VII of England. She was Queen of France. She was Duchess of Suffolk.

On this day, June 27, 1889 ~ The Wedding of Princess Louise, daughter of King Edward VII of England, and Alexander Duff, 6th Earl Fife, at the Private Chapel, Buckingham Palace
:rose2::rose2::rose2::rose2::rose2::rose2::rose2::rose2::rose2::rose2::rose2::rose2::rose2::rose2:

Back
Top Bottom