On This Day: British Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On this day, October 1, 1553 ~ The Coronation of Queen Mary I of England
Mary I's Coronation Part 3 - The Coronation Procession of Mary I - The Tudor Society

The Royal Entry Into London of Queen Mary I

499px-Mary_I._Entry_Into_London.jpg

On this day, October 3, 1390 ~ Birth of Humphrey, 1st Duke of Gloucester, son of King Henry IV of England

On this day, October 8, 1575 ~ Birth of Lady Margaret Douglas. She was the daughter of Margaret Tudor, Queen Dowager of Scotland.

On this day, October 8, 1993 ~ The wedding of David Armstrong-Jones and The Honourable Serena Alleyne Stanhope at St. Margaret's Church

Isabelle d'Angoulême ,the wife of King John was crowned on October 8th,1200 at Westminster Abbey .

Isabella_Angouleme.jpg

On this day, October 9, 1935 ~ Birth of Prince Edward, Duke of Kent

On this day, October 10, 1361 ~ The wedding of Edward, Prince of Wales, the son of King Edward III and Joan, Countess of Kent

On this day, October 10, 1361 ~ The wedding of Edward, Prince of Wales, the son of King Edward III and Joan, Countess of Kent

Joan of Kent and the Edward the Black Prince were the parents of King Richard II of England their sole surviving child .

On this day, October 11, 1159 ~ Demise of William of Blois, Count of Boulogne, the son of King Stephen of England

On this day, October 12, 1537 ~ Birth of King Edward VI at Hampton Court Palace

On this day, October 13, 1162 ~ Birth of Eleanor, Queen of Castile, the daughter of King Henry II of England

On this day, October 13, 1399 ~ The coronation of King Henry IV of England

The Coronation of Henry IV of England :previous:

397px-Henry_IV_Coronation.jpg

On this day, October 14, 1217 ~ Demise of Isabella of Gloucester, the first spouse of King John of England

On this day, October 14, 1633 ~ Birth of King James II of England at St. James's Palace in London

On this day, October 15, 1874 ~ Birth of Prince Alfred of Edinburgh, the son of Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh

On this day, October 17, 1368 ~ Demise of Lionel of Antwerp, 1st Duke of Clarence, the son of King Edward III of England, in Alba, Piedmont (Italy)

On this day, October 17, 1521 ~ Pope Leo X conferred the title "Defender of the Faith" on King Henry VIII

On this day, October 17, 1368 ~ Demise of Lionel of Antwerp, 1st Duke of Clarence, the son of King Edward III of England, in Alba, Piedmont (Italy)

Lionel of Antwerp, duke of Clarence was buried at Clare Priory in Suffolk,the priory was dissolved in 1538 and no burials were preserved.

On this day, October 19, 1216 ~ Demise of King John of England at Newark Castle in Newark, England

On this day, October 20, 1714 ~ The coronation of King George I of Great Britain

On this day, October 21, 1449 ~ Birth of George, Duke of Clarence. He was the son of Richard, 3rd Duke of York

On this day, October 19, 1216 ~ Demise of King John of England at Newark Castle in Newark, England

Only days before his death at Newark Castle the king had lost the English Crown jewels and a large portion of his baggage train in marsh land .Following his death he was buried at Worcester Cathedral.

Jan_tomb.jpg

Last edited:
Handel was commissioned to write 4 royal anthems for the Kings Coronation one of which was the iconic Zadok the Priest :previous:

On this day, October 26, 1897 ~ Demise of Princess Mary Adelaide of Cambridge, Duchess of Teck

Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Teck died on October 27th,1897 and was later buried at the royal vault at St. George's Chapel, Windsor :previous:

On this day, October 27, 1327 ~ Demise of Elizabeth de Brugh, Queen of Scots at Cullen Castle in Banffshire, Scotland. She was the second wife of King Robert I of Scotland.

On this day, October 27, 1327 ~ Demise of Elizabeth de Brugh, Queen of Scots at Cullen Castle in Banffshire, Scotland. She was the second wife of King Robert I of Scotland.

The queen died from a fall from her horse.

The locals in Cullen where she died took great care, including removing her organs before enbalment, to make sure her body made it south okay. In thanks Robert created a chaplaincy at the old kirk in Cullen, to pray for his wife. The money continued until 1975 (supplemented by future rulers including Mary). In 2011 it was restored, and prayers are still said on Sunday to her.

There are rumors her organs never went south but are buried there instead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cullen_Old_Church

On this day, October 28, 1708 ~ Demise of Prince George of Denmark, the husband of Queen Anne, at Kensington Palace

The queen was interred at Dunfermline Abbey in Scotland and her tomb was preserved there until 1560 when the abbey was ransacked by Calvinists,in 1917 her coffin was discovered during excavations and was reburied along side those of her husband Robert the Bruce which also had been discovered in 1818.

Back
Top Bottom