Official Visit from the King and Queen of Norway: October 25-26, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BBC article - Camilla wears first royal tiara

~*~Humera~*~ said:
I think she was definately looking to make a statement tonight and she succeeded.
Make no mistake about it, humera, Her Majesty the Queen was the one making the statement tonight. It's her tiara and she lent it to Camilla.

The BBC did an interesting write up on it. Here are some tidbits from the article:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4374820.stm
The diamond headpiece, made in 1911, was the Durbar Tiara previously worn by Queen Mary in Delhi to celebrate King George V's coronation.
It is believed the Queen has never worn the priceless piece of jewellery.
This is not the gesture of a monarch who is merely 'resigned' to accept Camilla.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you everyone for the great pictures!

For Camilla's first gala, I think she looks spectacular! She does not look overdone despite the size and the grandness of the tiara. She was smart to keep the other jewels and accessories small and low key and for the tiara to be the real star. The gown wasn't fantastically grand but the black is very becoming on her and was a nice backdrop for the jewels.

Camilla is heralding in a very distinct sense of style -- simple, understated and elegant without a lot of fuss, and I love it!

What has been the reaction in Great Britain been to Camilla's first gala? Does the British public approve?

ysbel said:
This is not the gesture of a monarch who is merely 'resigned' to accept Camilla.
I must admit I find that a little surprising. Considering all the things I've heard about the Queen's relationship with Camilla. But whether their personal relationship is a good one or not, QE does seem to be strongly affirming Camilla's position as Charles' consort.

The choice of the tiara is interesting though. Camilla may be Queen one day but she'll never be Empress of India. Although, as I said before, they cant be too choosy about the colonial connotations. Perhaps, as one member said before, it is an attempt to rehabilitate some of the pieces like the Delhi durbar tiara.

It's me again! I couldn't resist! There is something about MM which is so attractive and fresh, she may not be the prettiest princess, or the one with the most dress sense, or the most fashionable and glamouress, but there is something about her which makes me understand why the CP fell for her, she is so natrual and unpretentious. I know Iv'e mentioned it before, I just can't resist!:D

Magnificient. There was no way "they" could get away with not letting Camilla wear a significant tiara. She is a mature women apparently at ease with her new role and it shows. Camilla has arrived.

grevinnan

why there's so few photos from the gala banquet? mette-marit looks really great, if only more close-up photos of her & haakon. that would be great...

a great photo series from aftenposten without watermarks :
http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/kongelige/article1142325.ece?start=1

this is an earlier photo of Sonja :

Polfoto 25-10-2005 Norway's Queen Sonja, right, meets World War II veterans in Buckingham Palace, London, during a reception to mark the 60th anniversary of the Liberation of Norway, Tuesday Oct. 25, 2005.

Attachments

• AP438755_guest.jpg
    AP438755_guest.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 273
BeatrixFan said:
So are we to assume that this will be her signature tiara?

Without a doubt! Of course, this is just the beginning. Camilla is likely to receive many more jewels from the royal collection now that the ice is broken (or should I say smashed!!) with a gift like the imperial Indian crown from 1911.

branchg said:
The necklace was a gift from Prince Charles before they were married. The earrings are a mystery, but are likely a gift from Charles as well.

If I am not mistaken, those are the same earings Camillla wore at the marriage blessing ceremony at Windsor.

If so , these earings were originally her late mother's, Rosalind Shand, whom she was very close to.. That seems appropriate to me as this is really a big night in Camilla's life and she probably wanted something of her mother's near. It also makes these earings very historic as they were worn at both the Windsor ceremony and now at her first big Royal State do.

Caroline Mathilda

ysbel said:
Make no mistake about it, humera, Her Majesty the Queen was the one making the statement tonight. It's her tiara and she lent it to Camilla.

The BBC did an interesting write up on it. Here are some tidbits from the article:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4374820.stm

I absolutely agree, it is very significant. This is a crown that past queen consorts have worn---This is a very important piece. I never expected Camilla to wear this particular tiara- it is quite grand and to me the queen lending her this tiara is a reaffirmation of her place and a hint to what the future may bring. If the queen really had such a problem with camilla she would not have loaned such a significant tiara to her having belonged to her mother and grandmother.

sara1981 said:
no Earl and Countess of Wessex attend gala dinner? and Princess Anne and her husband also attend gala dinner?
Sara Boyce
'Queen' Camilla wears Delhi Durbar tiara
From http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/10/26/ncam26.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/10/26/ixnewstop.html
The Duchess of Cornwall arrived at Buckingham Palace last night wearing her first royal tiara
.....Other royals present were the Duke of York, the Earl and Countess of Wessex, the Princess Royal, the Duke and Duchess of Kent and Prince and Princess Michael of Kent.So i think the Countess of Wessex would be there but maybe the camera not put onto her.

Brother people

A.C.C. said:
For some reason, this visit seems grander than the one the Norwegian Royals made to Sweden and the one the Swedish Royals made to Norway this year.

An explenation can be that the Royal house of Norway are one of world´s most modern and not at all especially conservative. Their protocolls are not as "heavy". And Sweden an Norway are brother-people so perhaps they have other forms in their relations? I don´t know, but this is the way I think about it.

so the dress is midnight blue and not black.
All the focus seems to be on Camilla at this gala, quite understandably. I was, however, hoping to see better pictures of the other ladies, esp. MM and her dress and jewellery.

i want to see pictures of other royal ladies, they must be wearing tiaras too.

Whaaah !!! Camilla looks fantastic with this tiara ! I really like her and I'm very very happy for her . After all that she has gone through, she really deserves to be treated like this and to receive such honour .:) :) :) I hope there will be a Queen Camilla one day !

Mette-Marit is absolutely stunning in this dress, she really looks beautiful . Queen Sonja is also and as always beautiful but I would have liked to see her wearing a new dress ...

Thanks to everyone for posting all these wonderfull pictures, the Duchess of Cornwall certainly looked magnificent last night - every bit the Princess of Wales and future Queen that I think she is. The Delhi Durbar Tiara looked just fabulous on her, I'm so happy for her choice! What a knock-out success and entrance to her first, and very special and important, tiara event!

Queen Sonja and Queen Elizabeth both looked very elegant, and Crown Princess Mette-Marit's dress had a quite unusual dress colour, but it was very nice on her.

MMs gala dress is gorgeous! Especially for pregnant women, sometimes gala dresses can be quite unflattering but she looks fabulous. Camilla looks good as well, i just think they could have done something different with her hair.

From Hello Magazine: http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty/2005/10/26/norwegianroyals/

Mette-Marit charms British royals at palace banquet

26 OCTOBER 2005

The Norwegian Royal family made an appropriately regal entrance when they paid a visit to Buckingham Palace on Tuesday. Crown Prince Haakon and his wife Mette-Marit were greeted by the Queen and Prince Philip after they rolled up to the door of the famous building in a gilded horse-drawn carriage.

1. Mette-Marit and her husband Haakon speak to the press in the Marble Hall at Buckingham Palace
2. Her Majesty looks out the window of Buckingham Palace as the Honour Guard arrives in the courtyard below
3. Queen Sonja and King Harald get a warm welcome in Westminster
4. Mette-Marit also paid a visit to Tony Blair at his home in Downing Street
5. Her Majesty welcomes Queen Sonja and Crown Prince Haakon at her London home
6. The Norwegian royals made the journey from their yacht, which is docked on the Thames, to the palace in a horse-drawn carriage

more from the visit to no.10 downing street (from topfoto) :

Attachments

• nn0022191.jpg
    nn0022191.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 299
  • nn0022192.jpg
    nn0022192.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 212
  • nn0022193.jpg
    nn0022193.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 263
  • nn0022194.jpg
    nn0022194.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 247
  • nn0022195.jpg
    nn0022195.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 224
  • nn0022196.jpg
    nn0022196.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 257
  • nn0022197.jpg
    nn0022197.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 211
more from the exhibition inside buckingham palace (from topfoto) :

Attachments

• nn0022171.jpg
    nn0022171.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 290
  • nn0022172.jpg
    nn0022172.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 261
  • nn0022164.jpg
    nn0022164.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 249
  • nn0022157.jpg
    nn0022157.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 249
  • 0942716.jpg
    0942716.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 260
  • 0942715.jpg
    0942715.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 228
  • 0942714.jpg
    0942714.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 251
  • 0942710.jpg
    0942710.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 236
  • 0942708.jpg
    0942708.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
from the press conference (from topfoto) :

it's so cute haakon & mette-marit still holding hands even only with 1 finger

Attachments

• nn0022158.jpg
    nn0022158.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 269
  • nn0022170.jpg
    nn0022170.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 218
  • nn0022169.jpg
    nn0022169.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 669
  • nn0022168.jpg
    nn0022168.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 259
  • nn0022167.jpg
    nn0022167.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 209
  • nn0022165.jpg
    nn0022165.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 263
  • nn0022162.jpg
    nn0022162.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 219
  • nn0022161.jpg
    nn0022161.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 246
  • nn0022160.jpg
    nn0022160.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 283
  • nn0022159.jpg
    nn0022159.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 231
A lot of nice photos! Just noticed that King Harald wore a Navy galla uniform to the banquett yesterday. I can't remember seeing him in Navy uniforms at all (well, apart from his sailing gear, but that is sports clothes :) ). I know he got his military training in the Army, and he more or less always wear a Army galla uniform to such grand doos. Could it be to honour Prince Phillip and Prince Charles, as they are, as far as I understand, Navy guys?

the Kings speech at the energy seminar today, from Kongehuset.no
Your Royal Highness,
Chairman Lord Broers,
Your Excellencies,
Ladies and gentlemen,
Thank you for your kind words of welcome.

I know, Your Royal Highness, that as a Senior Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering you follow technology development in the North Sea with great interest. As you know, I share this interest with you.

Chairman Lord Broers,

Let us remind ourselves that oil and gas were discovered in the North Sea only some 40 years ago. This led to great optimism on both sides of the North Sea. All of a sudden, a new era started in a sea basin we have shared as seafaring nations for centuries.

For Norway and the United Kingdom, petroleum has been, and will continue to be, a source of wealth and prosperity. We should all be grateful for this.

The discovery of oil and gas has presented us with a number of new challenges. We have, however, found good political solutions and achieved major technical results in a spirit of co-operation. The question of delimitation of the continental shelf was resolved at an early stage. The last element to fall into place was the signing of a treaty in April this year, which will cover all new cross-boundary oil and gas projects that are not covered by existing agreements. The way in which these issues have been solved can serve as an example for other nations.

In 2006-2007 a new pipeline from Norway to the United Kingdom will be completed. It will have the capacity to supply up to 20 per cent of the gas consumed each year in the United Kingdom.

Today it is appropriate to recall the technological challenges we have faced in connection with the exploration and production of oil and gas in the North Sea. We have managed to overcome these challenges to the benefit of both Britain and Norway. Our offshore-related industries are today among the most advanced in the world.

I am pleased to say that we still have large resources that we expect to develop. The North Sea continues to be a major area of offshore activity, and both countries have recently completed successful licensing rounds.

New technology will make it possible to extract more oil and gas from deposits that only a few years ago could not be exploited. Furthermore, new technological advances will make it possible to make new discoveries and safely develop fields where geology and rough waters have stopped us so far. The North Sea has been, and will continue to be, an extraordinary laboratory for developing world class technologies for the oil and gas industry, technologies which today are much in demand.

Chairman Lord Broers,

I wish you all a successful conference, and hope it will strengthen co-operation between our two countries in the energy sector. I am confident it will be stimulating and rewarding for the participants, and we are looking forward to hearing what challenges and opportunities the experts gathered here today envisage for our industries.
Thank you
Two pictures from that event, he does not look good compared to yesterday when he looked in great shape:( (getty)
And one from the gala (source Hello)

Attachments

• 56012829.jpg
    56012829.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 248
  • 56012943.jpg
    56012943.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 293
  • norwegianroyals-dop7b.jpg
    norwegianroyals-dop7b.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 1,590
from the gala banquet without watermark (from nettavisen) :

ps. please feel free to delete if these are repeating

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 308
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 337
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 284
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 352
i kinda wish there would be more photos from the gala banquet but it seems different news agencies only posted the same angle of photos. there are no close-up photos from the queen sonja, mette-marit, and all the other guests (like sophie, etc). why is that? are there any photos from colourpress?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom