Official Visit from the King and Queen of Norway: October 25-26, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
some more of the British royals at the lunch. It looks like Sophie brought a gift...

colourpress

Attachments

• COLOUR10364965.jpg
    COLOUR10364965.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 314
  • COLOUR10364966.jpg
    COLOUR10364966.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 236
  • COLOUR10364994.jpg
    COLOUR10364994.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 332
  • COLOUR10364995.jpg
    COLOUR10364995.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 303
  • COLOUR10364996.jpg
    COLOUR10364996.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 340
  • COLOUR10364997.jpg
    COLOUR10364997.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 237
  • COLOUR10364999.jpg
    COLOUR10364999.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 311
  • COLOUR10365002.jpg
    COLOUR10365002.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 286
  • COLOUR10365001.jpg
    COLOUR10365001.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 304
  • COLOUR10365000.jpg
    COLOUR10365000.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 270
Re:

Princess Alexandra looks lovely! It's great to see her at an event - she rarely seems to meet with the other Royals

Day 3, From norway.org.uk :

Princess Astrid unveils blue plaque

A blue plaque in commemoration of King Haakon VII, who led the Norwegian government-in-exile from 10 Palace Green between 1940 and 1945, was unveiled by Princess Astrid Mrs Ferner on Thursday 27 October.

The ceremony outside the Norwegian Ambassador's residence, 10 Palace Green, took place after HM King Harald had unveiled a statue of Queen Maud. In a speech, Princess Astrid Mrs Ferner, the sister of The King of Norway, thanked the United Kingdom for its hospitality, and the tremendous support that it showed to Norway during the Second World War.

The Princess said the British government’s ready invitation to the Norwegian Royal Family and to the Norwegian government to continue their work from British soil made it possible for Norway to carry on its struggle against Nazi Germany. This was a powerful message to Norwegians under occupation, which also inspired many Norwegians outside Norway’s borders to join in the allied war effort. The existence of an active government-in-exile also permitted a rapid return to democratic political life in Norway after the war.

The government’s work during the war centred around 10 palace Green, which was transformed from the Norwegian Legation into King Haakon VII’s official residence. Throughout the war, the King presided over weekly cabinet meetings here, around the very same table that is still in use as a dining table in the residence today.

The Princess underlined in her speech that the good relations between Norway and the UK have only deepened and strengthened since the war and that the two countries remain today the closest of allies.
"It is therefore a great honour for me today to unveil the plaque commemorating not only the work of King Haakon and the Norwegian government in exile, but also the exceptional generosity that Her Majesty’s Government showed Norway during a time of great need," Princess Astrid Mrs Ferner concluded.

ps. the last one is Haakon at the unveiling of Queen Maud Statue

Attachments

• astrid172.jpg
    astrid172.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 266
  • astrid400.jpg
    astrid400.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 315
  • plaque172.jpg
    plaque172.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 241
  • haakon.jpg
    haakon.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 260
BeatrixFan said:
Princess Alexandra looks lovely! It's great to see her at an event - she rarely seems to meet with the other Royals

I think we must remember that she has only recently been widowed and for most of the last year or so her husband wasn't in the best of health.

Also just because she isn't at all the public functions doesn't mean she doesn't see her cousins etc in private. For all we know she may see them on a daily basis (highly unlikely I know but...) but we aren't told that because they want to keep some parts of their lives private.

Re:

I understand that. But I meant she's hardly ever with the whole clan as it were. Angus was ill for about 11 years all in all and James Ogilvy said to me at his fathers memorial service that they were not shocked but it had hit them all very hard.

I was amazed at how quickly after his death Alexandra was back doing official duties. Maybe thats how she copes. Throwing herself into her work. I know that she sees alot of Prince and Princess Michael but the Queen has distanced herself from the Kents a fair bit in recent times.

Well, sometimes when someone has been ill for a long time, the death comes as a relief as much as a sorrow. I've seen people bounce back remarkably quickly from dealing with a chronic, progressive disease that results in the death of a loved one.

And with the Duchess of Kent not doing much in the way of royal duties any more, the Duke is probably pleased to have his sister along on these occasions.

It's a shame that Edward and Sophie didn't particpate in more events during this visit by the Norwegian royals. I understand that Haakon and Mette-Marit became good friends with the Wessexes during their study stay in London a few years ago.

I didn't notice so much in the pictures of Mette-Marit curtsying to Camilla but in the pictures from the statue dedication, she looked a bit awkward curtsying to Prince Phillip. Not the act of curtsying itself, but just because she is heavily pregnant now, bending so low to the ground on one knee seems awkward and cumbersome.

I have alwasy though Mette-Marit curtseys very low, is there a proper way to do it or is it just choice how far down you bend?

Where would the Norwegian Royal family stay during this weekend, a hotel, their boat?

EmmieLou said:
I have alwasy though Mette-Marit curtseys very low, is there a proper way to do it or is it just choice how far down you bend?

Where would the Norwegian Royal family stay during this weekend, a hotel, their boat?
They did stay at Buckingham Palace

Pictures from the lunch yesterday. From Colourpress:

Thanks lots everybody for your wonderful pictures of this special visit.This has been a really special and lovely visit in this year with lots of engagements, Royals take part in, glittering royal tiaras, and fashion outfits and dresses....
Queen Elizabeth II looks most regal and elegant at The State Banquet on Tuesday night. I also like The Queen's lime yellow outfit as she welcomed the Norwegian Royals but it's a pity as i thought she would wear an outfdit with hat though. The Queen looks elegant as usual at the unveiling of Queen Maud Statue.
The most interesting thing from this special visit that The Duchess of Cornwall wear a Tiara for the first time, though she has never worn a Tiara before but it absolutely did amazing that it had changed how much from a woman Camilla who did not care about what she wear mcuh but now looked really elegant in Tiara.
Queen Sonja looks really elegant most at the unveiling of Queen Maud's Statue, i like her new outfit. But it seems she always wear the dress at the State Banquet lots.
MM has been a best one dressed on this visit, from a stylish outfit with a purple hat on the first morning to a green dress at the State Banquet, she has made lots of beautiful fashions on this visit, even on the last day she wore a purple outfit, but she still did looked really lovely.
There's a pity that we did not see much pics of other British Royals during this visit, especially The earl and Countess of Wessex.

HMQueenElizabethII said:
Thanks lots everybody for your wonderful pictures of this special visit

Absolutely. Clicks for you all ;)

"MII"

The Norwegian royals are very busy. First, Sweden, now England, and on to Denmark in a week or so.

norwegianne said:
You know it is a reliable article when they refer to Haakon's parents as King Harald and Queen Beatrix. :rolleyes:
I read elsewhere that femalefirst referred to Kaiser Wilhelm II as "Queen Victoria's uncle." He was, of course, her grandson. How hard is it to check? And they call themselves journalists? If I recall correctly, femalefirst also brought us the news that Kate Middleton was about to move into Clarence House. Whatever became of that one?

The Earl and Countess of Wessex did attend the Sate Banquet but there don't seem to be any photos of them. :) The Earl and Countess of Wessex attended a Lunch given by The King and Queen of Norway on board the Royal Yacht NORGE, on Friday.

Warren said:
I read elsewhere that femalefirst referred to Kaiser Wilhelm II as "Queen Victoria's uncle." He was, of course, her grandson. How hard is it to check? And they call themselves journalists? If I recall correctly, femalefirst also brought us the news that Kate Middleton was about to move into Clarence House. Whatever became of that one?

I have my doubts about femalefirst. It's one of the few websites that's blocked by my company at work. We don't block a lot of websites. I wonder what they're hosting over there.

Earl And Countess Of Wessex

sara1981 said:
no Earl and Countess of Wessex attend gala dinner? and Princess Anne and her husband also attend gala dinner?

Sara Boyce
THE EARL AND COUNTESS WERE AT THE GALA DINNER BUT YOU COULD NOT SEE THEM THAT WELL IN THE PICTURES. THE EARL WAS WALKING WITH THE PRIMEMINISTER WIFE, I DON'T KNOW WHO THE COUNTESS WAS WALKING WITH BUT SHE HAD ON A WHITE GAIL THAT YOU COULD NOT SEE THAT WELL. FROM WHAT I SAW OF HER AND THE GAIL SHE LOOKED WONDERFUL!!!:(

the picture of the earl and countess of wessex

LaMinka said:
and more....
LOOK AT THE FIRST PHOTO IN LAMINKA SPOT AND YOU WILL SEE ANDREW WALKING WIT THE BIG LADY, THE EARL WALKING WITH THE PRIMEMINSTER WIFE AND SOPHIE BEHIND HIM IN THE WHITE GAIL.;)

Thanks for the information, Sophie. There's no need to shout, though.

oh my god is femalefirst so untrustworthy? I know they had a lot of gossipy sort of news on their site, but I never really read them...
i'll blacklist it from now on

yes she does look beautifull (how did you find that website?)
age can not wither her.

noticed that mette marit scratched her face during dinner,
of course if your cheek itches.... but still

BeatrixFan said:
http://rtl.nl/actueel/rtlboulevard/video/

If you click on Norweegen Royalty you'll see a clip of the Banquet and a fabulous shot of Princess Alexandra of Kent who looks wonderful.

Re:

I came across it by accident Susan_Alicia. It's quite good. You can do a 'Soek' on the word 'Beatrix' and see tons of clips of Queen Beatrix, and every now and then a clip of the Danish, Spanish Royal Families comes up as well. They don't show the British RF so much but if something big happens then they do.

I love the carriage of Princess Alexandra. She just sits bolt upright, totally attentive and even though she could be bored to death - you'd never know it.

Stratching at the Table - not good.

Iv been away out of the country for 7 days!! and only now just seen the pictures of the norway royaly family trip to london, fab pictures!!!!!!!!!!

cp mette-marit looks great most of the time....i didnt like the purple alphet. it was all too dark for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom