Official Visit from the King and Queen of Norway: October 25-26, 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Equal rankings

Karisma said:
Isn't HRH Crown Princess XX "above" HRH The Duchess of XX when we speak about official protocols?
I think you're confusing titles with position. At this level it is the position that matters. Both Crown Princess Mette Marit and the Duchess of Cornwall are the wives of Heirs to Thrones, and thus, in the scheme of things, equal. (Similarly, Emperor Akihito, Queen Elizabeth and Prince Albert of Monaco rank equally because all are reigning monarchs.) Mette Marit may have chosen to show "extra" respect and deference to Camilla by curtseying; not required by protocol, but her decision to do so for whatever reason.

As an aside, those of us with long memories will recall the first meeting between Queen Elizabeth and Mette Marit in Oslo. Mette Marit gave one of the deepest curtseys I have ever seen on a Royal-to-Royal level. Virtually knee to the ground. An impressive homage.

I think that is wonderful she went. It really shows the very close family bond between these two royal families.

After all, if you look in the line of sucession, Harald is the first monarch from another country to assume the throne of England....should something happen to the other 60-65 or so before him....

i dont think if William and Harry would attend gala dinner from his granny the HM Queen because William is future King of England but we have wait and see what happened at gala dinner again

Sara Boyce

Warren said:
Check out the positioning, that gives the clue, and the answer. Go with Elspeth.

Has anyone else noticed that Princess Astrid of Norway was at the gala with her husband?

She's here, next to Haakon: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=206378

Thank you Elspeth and Warren. Given what I think of the Lord Mayor of London and his sometimes....interesting behavior....I will say that if that is his wife she is beautiful.

I noticed that the Duchess of Gloucester has a chest full of medals as well as her jewellery and orders. None of the other royal ladies show up to galas sporting all those medals. Is there a reason for it? Perhaps she's afraid of an assassination attempt and thinks they'll deflect a bullet aimed at her heart or something?

Elspeth said:
I noticed that the Duchess of Gloucester has a chest full of medals as well as her jewellery and orders. None of the other royal ladies show up to galas sporting all those medals. Is there a reason for it? Perhaps she's afraid of an assassination attempt and thinks they'll deflect a bullet aimed at her heart or something?

Oh, don't pick on Birgitte, Elspeth. ;) I like her. If she has earned all those orders and medals, then she has every right to wear them!! You go Birgitte!!!:)

I'm not picking on her; it just looks weird to wear medals with evening dress rather than uniform.

Elspeth said:
I'm not picking on her; it just looks weird to wear medals with evening dress rather than uniform.

I was teasing you Elspeth.

Arg. I'm going to have a sleepless night over this if someone can't enlighten me, you know.

Elspeth said:
Arg. I'm going to have a sleepless night over this if someone can't enlighten me, you know.

Well she's Danish right? Maybe that's the part of her that they couldn't make British. :p

I have seen pictures of her in the past wearing her medals. Someone in the Duke and Duchess thread commented on it. I don't think there is a reason for it, I think she is proud of her medals and wants to wear them (beside when she gets them when else is she going to be able to )

On the Canadian Governor General's site it shows how to wear medals and for women they can wear medals to a black tie event. This is the link http://www.gg.ca/honours/wear/index_e.asp but the information is in pdf format.

Poor Elspeth..it is quite late in England. :)

I believe these are the decorations and orders given to her by the Queen for her various contributions and and support.

When the Duchess of Kent was still in the royal fold before she retired, she always wore medals and sashes for official occasions.

One would think this is not the case for Princess Michael ;)

more pictures from the baquet (Colourpress)
CP Mette-Marit looks very pretty. I love her tiara. Im usually not a fan of her wardrobe but everything she has been wearing during this visit has been stylish and feminine, esp. the two gala dresses.

Attachments

• COLOUR10363632.jpg
    COLOUR10363632.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 380
  • COLOUR10363633.jpg
    COLOUR10363633.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 187
  • COLOUR10363634.jpg
    COLOUR10363634.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 169
  • COLOUR10363600.jpg
    COLOUR10363600.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 219
Is is too late to say that the Duchess of Gloucester is probably the most glamorous and elegant of the Royal ladies? She always shines at gala events, Dripping with diamonds too!

I agree. She is every inch the royal. What I like about her and her husband is they have never caused any grief to HM or any gossip. That must be a welcome relief to the Queen to know at the least the Gloucesters have been steadfast in holding up the Firm. :)

I have seen the stone in that tiara change as well....she had an emerald in at one point, I'm sure.

More pictures from Colourpress:

Attachments

• COLOUR10363619.jpg
    COLOUR10363619.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 115
  • COLOUR10363620.jpg
    COLOUR10363620.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 175
  • COLOUR10363621.jpg
    COLOUR10363621.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 127
  • COLOUR10363622.jpg
    COLOUR10363622.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 207
  • COLOUR10363623.jpg
    COLOUR10363623.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 156
  • COLOUR10363624.jpg
    COLOUR10363624.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 343
Warren said:
Is is too late to say that the Duchess of Gloucester is probably the most glamorous and elegant of the Royal ladies? She always shines at gala events, Dripping with diamonds too!

No its not too late, Warren! She looks excellent in that royal blue!

~*~Humera~*~ said:
Colourpress:

Anybody know where these photos are taken ? at what event ??
thank you....

keep the photos coming... i love everything i've seen so far...
i agreee, mette-marit definitely shining in this trip..

i wanted see the pictures of Earl and Countess of Wessex face to face of pictures than no pictures!

Sara Boyce

purple_platinum said:
Anybody know where these photos are taken ? at what event ??

I was wondering about the same thing.

Day 1, from norway.org.uk :
King of Norway lays wreath at Tomb of the Unknown Warrior at Westminster Abbey

Attachments

• westmin3.jpg
    westmin3.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 142
  • westmin172.jpg
    westmin172.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 898
  • westmin2.jpg
    westmin2.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 149
  • westmin1.jpg
    westmin1.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 191
Day 2, from norway.org.uk :

The Queen of Norway visited the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) for a seminar on 'The Architectural Legacy of Sverre Fehn'

here's her speech :

"Ladies and gentlemen,
It is with great pleasure that I take part in this first of a series of events that will present a few selected Norwegian architectural firms here at the Royal Institute of British Architects. This is the first time British and Norwegian architects come together in this way. I hope that this and future events will inspire closer collaboration.

Many Norwegian architects have a special relationship with United Kingdom. After the Second World War it was the policy of the Norwegian government to send students to study abroad. The UK was the country of choice for many future architects. So many in fact, that the UK was called “Norway’s biggest school of architecture” in the 1960s and 70s. Your country thus played an important part in building the Norwegian architectural profession.
This was also the period when Norwegian architecture started to make a name for itself abroad. Sverre Fehn brought the Nordic quality of light to Venice with the Nordic Biennial Pavilion in 1962. Intentions in Architecture, the major work of the late Christian Nordberg-Schultz written in 1966, inspired thousands of students worldwide. His writings on landscape and nature created a foundation for Norwegian architecture. Today the Library in Alexandria, designed by Snøhetta, is one of the best Norwegian architectural achievements.

Increased recognition leads to increased confidence and boldness. It is therefore important for Norway to promote the work of Norwegian architects abroad and to create networks. This is also what we are aiming to do here at the Royal Institute of British Architects today. One possible point of departure might be Sverre Fehn, but you will also meet some of our youngest and most innovative new talents.

Norwegian architecture has its roots in modernism and has a tactile relationship with materials and nature. We are a young nation, and our building tradition does not, with a few exceptions, include monumental buildings. But perhaps this has also been our strength.

Architecture is constantly evolving, and Norwegian architecture is no exception. For this constant development to take place, it is important that young architects get a chance to practise. In Norway we have focused on competitions as a way of bringing out the best of both young firms and well established ones. This stimulates architecture to evolve.

Our world is becoming smaller and smaller. Architects find markets abroad as well as at home. For the majority of Norwegian firms this is a new situation. We are, however, facing global challenges that can only be overcome at the global level. Encounters with other cultures can help to define one’s own identity.
When planning and creating sustainable environments and buildings, architects have for decades looked beyond national borders. I believe that although the architects presented here draw on sources both outside and within Norway, their work represents something uniquely Norwegian.
This, I hope, will be of interest to British architects.
Thank you."

Attachments

• sonja400.jpg
    sonja400.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 191
  • sonjaarrives.jpg
    sonjaarrives.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 134
  • sonjapringle.jpg
    sonjapringle.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 126
  • sonjaspeech.jpg
    sonjaspeech.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

The Queen of Norway and the Crown Princess of Norway attended Wednesday a literary lunch at the Groucho Club, Soho, to launch an anthology of Norwegian contemporary writers.

The Queen's speech:

"Ladies and gentlemen,
It is a pleasure to be present at the launching of The Norwegian Feeling for Real, a collection of short stories by 25 of Norway’s foremost contemporary writers. The anthology was commissioned for the centenary of the peaceful dissolution of the union between Norway and Sweden. It is an important contribution to our literary dialogue with the United Kingdom. I hope that British readers will enjoy the Norwegian voices represented in the book.
Norway and Britain share a long literary tradition. Almost 800 years ago, before the emergence of the novel itself, the Icelandic poet and historian Snorre Sturlason wrote his famous Sagas of the Kings. The unsentimental style of the sagas had considerable influence on writers in Britain and around the world – introducing a “feeling for real” if there ever was one.

It was not, however, until the 19th century that a major Norwegian voice became known in Britain. This voice belonged to the playwright Henrik Ibsen. Next year we will celebrate the centenary of his death with an extensive programme worldwide. Ibsen is often called “the father of the modern drama”, and is only surpassed by Shakespeare when it comes to popularity among theatre audiences and the number of performances staged around the world.

We might say that literature is an art form that inspires cultures to communicate – and learn from each other. The invaluable work of dedicated translators has made it possible for people of different nations to share the same experiences, thoughts and emotions. This is international communication in the true meaning of the word.

For a small country like Norway, with a language that is only spoken by fewer than five million people, translation of literature will always be important. A wide selection of English literature has been made available to Norwegian readers in translation. Ever since Shakespearean times, English literature has been one of our most important sources of intellectual and literary inspiration.

A publication like this one is the result of several years of dedicated work by publishers, the Office for Norwegian Literature Abroad, literary agents, critics and translators – truly a joint venture.

I hope that The Norwegian Feeling for Real will captivate – and perhaps even surprise –British readers. It will certainly give them a taste of some of the best new writing appearing in Norway today.

Thank you."

Attachments

• mettemarit.jpg
    mettemarit.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 184
  • sonjacrowd172.jpg
    sonjacrowd172.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 156
  • sonjacrowd400.jpg
    sonjacrowd400.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 138
I found it.

At a press conference at Buckingham Palace on Wednesday 26 October, the Norwegian Royal Family spoke of the experiences so far on their Special Visit to the UK.

The Crown Prince and Crown Princess, who had just been to Clarence House to meet The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall, said they've had an interesting conversation and that it was great to get to know the Prince and Duchess better. The Crown Prince also added that he particularly admired Prince Charles's work with his charity the Prince's Trust.

The Queen of Norway and The Crown princess also talked about the literary launch of a Norwegian anthology contemporary writers on Wednesday. HM Queen Sonja said it had been great to help promoting Norwegian literature in the UK and, in addition to meeting Norwegian authors, it had also been "a fantastic experience to meet Doris Lessing".

HM King Harald, who earlier on Wednesday had been to New Scotland Yard for a briefing was asked about his thoughts around the issues of terrorism. The King said he had been given an insight into the work carried out in the UK to defeat terrorism and he underlined the good cooperation Norway and UK had together on this matter. "The world needs to come together to fight terrorism," The King concluded.

The King also praised his host, HM Queen Elizabeth and said: "The Queen is a role model for all of us - she has done great work for the UK and the monarchy."

Attachments

• haakonmm2_400.jpg
    haakonmm2_400.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 158
  • haakonmm_400.jpg
    haakonmm_400.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 156
  • kongdron400.jpg
    kongdron400.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 175
  • mm_172.jpg
    mm_172.jpg