Naming Customs of British Royalty, Favourite Name, Regnal Name and Numeration

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree - I believe they were much more well known by their titles, Prince of Wales and by the time Prince Edward was in a public role - he was The Duke of York. And quite the family man: the Duke and Duchess of York and their 2 adorable princesses Elizabeth and Margaret Rose.

Not that dissimilarly now to the Duke of Gloucester and Duke of Kent. Most people (those not on this board :flowers: ) arent that familiar with their given names.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read somewhere that Charles really wanted a girl and name her Victoria...Maybe W & C will...that would be kinda neat to have a Queen Victoria II...That might be unlikely, considering Sweden will have a QV.

If William and Catherine want to name their first born Victoria, I don't think the fact the future Swedish queen carries the same name should, or would, dissuade them. The biggest reason being, Victoria is heir to the throne, whereas W&C's daughter would be the heir of the heir of the heir, should she be born in the current queen's reign. So it's likely by the time that daughter comes to rule, Victoria's daughter Estelle will be Queen.

I don't think a Swedish princess or any other continental princess having a particular name would or should influence a member of the BRF when naming one of their children.
It would not be the first time in history that 2 European monarchs have the same name. Even today we have 2 monarchs named Albert II reigning on European thrones.

...Victoria...expected an Albert to reign at some time - particularly her eldest son and heir.
Your take on this topic is what I've read/heard about it too - that Victoria wanted Edward to reign as Albert Edward, but that he decided against it after her death.

Do you think he really did decide not to use Albert out of respect for his father's memory and achievements, or do you think it was more an act of rebellion, given Edward VII's somewhat difficult relationship with both his parents?

In my non-professional opinion, I'd definitely say the latter, rather than the former.

Mary of Teck was alive, and active in 3 Coronation, 4 monarchs, including her own. Although she was ill, but I am sure consulted about different aspects Elizabeth's, and both George V & VI. QEM was on her second. I am sure they told her to keep her name. Charles will probably be alone, due to the DoE's advanced age. My bet is no Charles III, George VII is not out of the question.

I agree - I believe they were much more well known by their titles, Prince of Wales and by the time Prince Edward was in a public role - he was The Duke of York. And quite the family man: the Duke and Duchess of York and their 2 adorable princesses Elizabeth and Margaret Rose.

I think you are confusing the two brothers.

Prince Edward was in a public role from the age of 16 when his father became The King and he became The Duke of Cornwall and shortly thereafter The Prince of Wales.

His younger brother, Prince Albert, was given a lot longer before taking on a public role - into his mid-20s and after WWI. He was created The Duke of York in 1921 and only after the abdication of the former Prince Edward - who took his own name as King - that Prince Albert took the name George VI as his regnal name, although he was still called 'Bertie' at home.

Mary of Teck was alive, and active in 3 Coronation, 4 monarchs, including her own. Although she was ill, but I am sure consulted about different aspects Elizabeth's, and both George V & VI. QEM was on her second. I am sure they told her to keep her name. Charles will probably be alone, due to the DoE's advanced age. My bet is no Charles III, George VII is not out of the question.

She was actually active during the reigns of 4 monarchs:

1. Victoria as the wife of the 2nd in line to the throne and mother of the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th by the time of Victoria's death.
2. Edward VII as the wife of the heir to the throne and mother of the first 6 in line to the throne by the time he died.
3. George V - as his consort
4. Edward VIII - as his mother
5. George VI - as his mother
6. Elizabeth II - as her grandmother - and still very influential particularly in working with Churchill to get the family name remaining as Windsor.

She attended three coronations but in some ways it could be argued that she also played a large part in Elizabeth's as protocol would decree that there should have been a full year of court mourning for her meaning the Coronation should have been delayed a year but it was her personal wish 'that the mourning for a Queen Consort should not disrupt the Coronation of a full Queen Regnant' and so there was no delay in Elizabeth's Coronation.

I think you are confusing the two brothers.
of course - sorry that is what I get for reading quickly and answering while at work. thanks for correcting.

Your take on this topic is what I've read/heard about it too - that Victoria wanted Edward to reign as Albert Edward, but that he decided against it after her death.

Do you think he really did decide not to use Albert out of respect for his father's memory and achievements, or do you think it was more an act of rebellion, given Edward VII's somewhat difficult relationship with both his parents?

He hated the name Albert. Unfortunately, Prince Albert and Queen Victoria found endless fault with their son. To some degree they were right, but they never supported him. He felt Edward was HIS name, to reign as, Albert was his parents need.

The little Viscount Severn has a really beautiful name, James Alexander Philip Theo. It's special and yet quite traditional when you think about it. I like how Edward and Sophie used Louise for their daughter, but I think the other names are slightly boring, although I know she's named after her grand and great-grandmothers.

I love Lady Davina's first name, it's a really underused name in my opinion. Zara's first name is also beautiful, the Prince of Wales did a great job finding that one.

Margaret Rose,Anne or Elizabeth for girls,but I also like Charlotte,a name which hasn't been used in a long time by the British Royal Family.

Philip,Charles and Frederick for the boys (also the names of my fathers grandfather and uncles!)

We all assume that William's firstborn will be a daughter and that absolute primogeniture will be adopted. Neither of those things have to happen. The chance of both happening is actually less than 50%. But I nevertheless hope that their eldest daughter will be named Victoria. Lady Victoria Windsor sounds extremely regal on its own, not to mention Queen Victoria II :) I'd suggest Anne and Mary as alternatives - how about Queen Mary III? ;)

I think Elizabeth Diana Mary Alexandria for a Daughter and William Charles Phillip George for a son. These are names that are more closely related to the child. I would not be opposed to Diana being the child's first name either. Or Catherine Diana Elizabeth Mary even. It is up to them after all.

with the choices given, I like Camilla Rosemary.

If that was my name, I'd go by Roma. I love that name.

I can't remember all the kids names, but does anyone like he names of Queen Victoria's children?
I wonder why Philip didn't bring in any new names for his children.

Last edited:
XeniaCasaraghi said:
I can't remember all the kids names, but does anyone like he names of Queen Victoria's children?

I like Helena, Louise and Beatrice.
I don't think he had a choice, what 'new' names could be bring in for the heir to the throne?

The little Viscount Severn has a really beautiful name, James Alexander Philip Theo. It's special and yet quite traditional when you think about it. I like how Edward and Sophie used Louise for their daughter, but I think the other names are slightly boring, although I know she's named after her grand and great-grandmothers.

I love Lady Davina's first name, it's a really underused name in my opinion. Zara's first name is also beautiful, the Prince of Wales did a great job finding that one.

I love Viscount Severn's names, especially Theo which is after a relative on Sophie's side. Thro is quite modern but his other names are tradtional, which is a perfect combination. I like Louise's names, mainly because they are after relatives. Louise coulf have been chosen as one of Edward's names is Louis.

I hope Charlotte makes a comeback into the prominent royals as it's a lovely name. Sophie/Sophia hasn't been used in long time either so would be nice to see it again, as well as Helena.

I love Viscount Severn's names, especially Theo which is after a relative on Sophie's side. Thro is quite modern but his other names are tradtional, which is a perfect combination.

I really love Theo too, it makes it more special, but still regal.

Queen Victoria and Prince Albert's children were named Victoria Adelaide Mary Louisa, Albert Edward, Alice Maud Mary, Alfred Ernest Albert, Helena Augusta Victoria, Louise Caroline Alberta, Arthur William Patrick Albert, Leopold George Duncan Albert and Beatrice Mary Victoria Feodore.

I like Victoria Adelaide Mary Louisa. They went a bit overboard with the Alberts I think, I know Queen Victoria was very fond of her husband, but holy bejesus, that's a lot of Alberts.

I prefer the names of King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra's children from those of his mothers, especially Princess Maud's name was really beautiful.

Last edited:

I believe Andrew was a never used in the BRF before Philip. I could be wrong though. His second son was named after his father, Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark

Andrew was one of Edward VIII's middle names. He had each of the patron saints of the 4 constituent parts of the UK as middle names - George (England), David (Wales), Andrew (Scotland) and Patrick (Ireland). His full name was Edward Albert Christian George Andrew Patrick David, although he was always known within the family as David.

I like Charlotte as an option for a Princess, although if William and Kate have a girl first (and the legislation for equal primogeniture is passed as proposed), I think she'd more likely be named after one of the other British Queens Regnant.

Davina is a lovely name. Unfortunately it has become synonymous with a very famous TV presenter in the UK, Davina McCall, who presented Big Brother for several years. "Big Brother House, this is Davina" has become a kind of catchphrase for her.

I like Charlotte, or Adelaide as a name.
We have a Davina Windsor do we not? I personally don't like the name, not because of BB I just don't think it's a nice name. Like Charlene, I think that's an awful name too.

My favourite names are:

Girls:

Louisa
Sophia
Louise
Mary
Victoria
Charlotte
Elizabeth

I also love the name Eloise, which is The Lady Helen Taylor's daughter's name.
The Lady Gabriella Windsor's middle name is Ophelia, which IMO is a very pretty name.

Boys:

Henry
Augustus
George
Leopold
Charles
James
Edward

I think the name Theo (which is Viscount Severn's middle name) just sounds so adorable! :wub:

Last edited:
I like the names Queen Victoria gave to her daughters.
The only boy name I liked of the sons is Arthur.
I also like Harry, Henry, Eloise and Charlotte.

I like traditional names, to a certain extent. I sort of hope that William and Catherine will not use any overly traditional for their children's names, but I know they will probably have to. They cannot name their child something trendy like Theo, as King Theo just does not have a ring to it. I hope they don't call their child George, Edward or William, as another King George, William or Edward will be dull. I can't see them giving their child any of those names as a Christian name, but they will likely be one of their middle names, which is fine. I imagine their first child will have a very traditional Christian, solely for the fact that they will likely become King or Queen. I can see Michael being in their child's name somewhere, and of course Charles or Arthur will be there. In fact, I would LOVE them to give their son the Christian name Arthur, as it is quite a cute name but would suit them growing up. I wouldn't mind a Prince Louis either.

Regarding girls names, I really, really do hope Charlotte is one of their children's names because it hasn't been used by a Senior royal in a long time. I hope Alice is a Christian name too, as Anne and Louise have it as a middle name but not their given name. Alice is quite traditional but still very popular in today's society.

I can see Harry being a bit more inventive with his children's names though, but that is likely because he knows his children will most likely never be Monarch.

Names are so hard though, and we will likely not guess whatever name they choose. I am intrigued to see how many names they give their children. I imagine it will be the usual 4 names, but Anne and Andrew only gave their children 3 names.

Last edited:
We all assume that William's firstborn will be a daughter and that absolute primogeniture will be adopted. Neither of those things have to happen. The chance of both happening is actually less than 50%. But I nevertheless hope that their eldest daughter will be named Victoria. Lady Victoria Windsor sounds extremely regal on its own, not to mention Queen Victoria II :) I'd suggest Anne and Mary as alternatives - how about Queen Mary III? ;)

The title of William and Kate's future baby will more likely be Princess rather than Lady, seeming as William and Kate are the future King and Queen (or may already be monarchs by the time the child is born). If they choose the name Victoria, the baby will probably be known as Princess Victoria of Wales (if the baby is born during Charles's reign and William is granted the title Prince of Wales) or The Princess Victoria if she is born during William's reign. If she is the eldest daughter, we might see another Victoria, Princess Royal!

I would also like to see a Mary III. It sounds perfect. So does Victoria II :flowers:.

Last edited:
I like Charlotte, or Adelaide as a name.
We have a Davina Windsor do we not? I personally don't like the name, not because of BB I just don't think it's a nice name. Like Charlene, I think that's an awful name too.

Yes, we already have a Davina. Archduchess Zelia stated that she liked Lady Davina's name and felt it was underused, just a few posts before mine. I was simply stating that I think it's unlikely to be used by any of the senior royals anytime soon because of its association in the UK with Davina McCall.

Molly, I agree with you about Arthur. I would adore a future King Arthur.

As a subscriber of The Times, I occasionally peruse the birth announcements which are generally, but not always,submitted by the upper middle and upper classes. It's amazing how the traditional names are still so popular among those placing the announcements. It's full of them - George, Thomas, Henry, James, Benjamin, William, Beatrice, Mary, Elizabeth, Cecilia, Isobel etc. etc. Last year the most popular boys name in The Times birth announcements were actually William and Harry.

I think a firstborn son of William and Kate will be a George or Henry. I like both, personally. I'd love to see a Toby, or a Jasper or Hugo (which all appear in The Times fairly regularly) among the middle names, or for a second son. Rory is becoming very popular and would have an Irish link.

For a firstborn girl, I think it would probably be Victoria or Elizabeth. I very much doubt we'll see a Queen Tabitha, Annabel or Diana (please God, no).

Back
Top Bottom