Naming Customs of British Royalty, Favourite Name, Regnal Name and Numeration

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Stephan
Adelicia
Adelaide
Victoria
James
Margaret Rose( put together, not separate)
George(one of the few overused names I actually like)
Alexandra

British royal names I dislike/hate
Charles
Henry
Margaret
Mary
Philip
Frances (Diana's middle name)

Girls
1 Louise Alice Elizabeth Mary
2 Rose Victoria Brigitte Louise
3 Gabriella Marina Alexandra Ophelia

Boys
1 Nicholas Charles Edward
2 Frederick Michael George David Louis
3 Alexander Patrick Gregers Richard

Girls:
Catherine Elizabeth
Eugenie Victoria Helena
Elizabeth Alexandra Mary

Boys:
Andrew Albert Christian Edward
William Arthur Philip Louis
Richard Alexander Walter George

Girls:
Elizabeth
Louise
Victoria
Gabriella

Boys:
William
Nicholas
Charles
Henry
Andrew

Eugenie Victoria Helena
Davina Elizabeth Alice Benedikte
Margaret Rose

I like the commonly used Royal names, which many of the family all have (Elizabeth, Alice, Mary, Victoria), but I also really like Eugenie's middle name of Helena. For the boys I like Henry/Harry, James and Freddie. I like the addition of Theo to Viscount Severn's middle name.

For full names I like James Alexander Philip Theo (mainly because of the Theo) and Eugenie Victoria Helena.

I also like that Lady Louise Windsor's name is almost the same as her Aunt Anne's name. Anne Elizabeth Alice Louise and Louise Alice Elizabeth Mary. Nice touch.

I like the commonly used Royal names, which many of the family all have (Elizabeth, Alice, Mary, Victoria), but I also really like Eugenie's middle name of Helena. For the boys I like Henry/Harry, James and Freddie. I like the addition of Theo to Viscount Severn's middle name.

For full names I like James Alexander Philip Theo (mainly because of the Theo) and Eugenie Victoria Helena.

I also like that Lady Louise Windsor's name is almost the same as her Aunt Anne's name. Anne Elizabeth Alice Louise and Louise Alice Elizabeth Mary. Nice touch.

Nice told,Molly2101
I just must agree ;) :twohearts:
and to add
Queen Elizabeth Alexandra Mary
and Edward Antony Richard Louis :)

I will never understand why royalty have to name the majority of their children such boring and over used names. You can still have tradition with names like Margaret Rose, Eugenie, and Andrew without having 30 Elizabeth's, 100 Charles, and 1000 Henry's running around.
As for the regnal names, thank gawd for Queen Victoria being named after her mother and her uncle being a butt about her being named after him.

I will never understand why royalty have to name the majority of their children such boring and over used names. You can still have tradition with names like Margaret Rose, Eugenie, and Andrew without having 30 Elizabeth's, 100 Charles, and 1000 Henry's running around.
As for the regnal names, thank gawd for Queen Victoria being named after her mother and her uncle being a butt about her being named after him.

But tradition in this case is good. Specially if you think about William and Catherine (possible) future children. I wouldn't like a Queen Mariah or King Jayden, argh! OK I'm exaggerating here, but if considered that one of them could become a monarch it is better to "play it safe". Maybe a 2nd and 3rd one would have less popular regal names. As long as is not with a creative spelling or after a fruit/place, we will be fine.

You don't have to name someone Jayden or Mariah, like with Margaret Rose you had tradition and something unique and different. Plus seeing as how most of these monarchs change their name when they become king you can put the stale boring name in there somewhere. There are traditional British names that don't sound so boring, i.e. Victoria, Nicholas, Stephan, William (please use this MORE). Elizabeth is fine, at least it's not so boring, but to be different you could go Elisabeth. Borrow some names from another country that transfer over nicely. Sheesh shake it up a little bit. No need for Princess Apple, just broaden the horizons. Maybe Zara should start naming the kids.

You don't have to name someone Jayden or Mariah, like with Margaret Rose you had tradition and something unique and different. Plus seeing as how most of these monarchs change their name when they become king you can put the stale boring name in there somewhere. There are traditional British names that don't sound so boring, i.e. Victoria, Nicholas, Stephan, William (please use this MORE). Elizabeth is fine, at least it's not so boring, but to be different you could go Elisabeth. Borrow some names from another country that transfer over nicely. Sheesh shake it up a little bit. No need for Princess Apple, just broaden the horizons. Maybe Zara should start naming the kids.

But Margaret Rose is pretty traditional for me! :lol:
I thing we are talking the same thing just in different sentences.
Look, I'm all for Beatrice, Eugenie, James, Louse and Zara choosing names they like without feeling restricted by some underlying rule. Now, in regards to W&K I feel we'll have to settle for the history books. ;)

After Savannah, I don't think I could be more surprised by Zara's choice of name.

I like the traditional names they can be linked to the family favourites. I think Will and Catherine will choose something traditional. I heard that Charles always wanted to call a girl Victoria maybe if Will has one he will. I also think they will put Diana in there somewhere. Isn't Eugenie actually Eugenia? I don't like Beatrice as a name it isn't good for a young woman. It is ok to go off tradition Zara was picked by the POW so you never know he may have some suggestions for Wills or Harry. I do love Gabrielle Rose that is a really lovely name. Elizabeth is good and I'm sure we will see that again in the future.

Alexandra Caroline Marie Charlotte Louise Julia
Victoria Mary Augusta Louise Olga Pauline Claudine Agnes

Alexander John

I would love to see the name Eleanor back in the BRF.

Alexander John

I was thinking about this name a few days ago. I love it cause it's regal enough and they could use Ella as a nickname

Meadow said:
. I heard that Charles always wanted to call a girl Victoria maybe if Will has one he will.

I've read it was Diana who wanted to name a girl Victoria....hence my thoughts that William and Catherine might name their daughter that as a less obvious tribute. I think Victoria is a lovely name. Is Sophia a British name? I've always liked that name as well....

I've read it was Diana who wanted to name a girl Victoria....hence my thoughts that William and Catherine might name their daughter that as a less obvious tribute. I think Victoria is a lovely name. Is Sophia a British name? I've always liked that name as well....
I heard it was Diana's too.
It is not, their English version Sophie is more common . regardless it would be a beautiful choice.

Another poster beat me to the answer, but I think the origin of 'Sophia' is Greek. I like that name too, and 'Sophie' could always be the informal version.

So Eleonor and Sophie.. ummm that sounds familiar?!! :p

The D/DssOC will provide a new 'Princess Diana' of Wales, and Monaco will give us a new 'Princess Grace' of Monaco. I give credit to my ouija board for these predictions.
I like many of the names presented by other posters. I do like Alexandra, and my favorite is Michaela. There is less finer line for boys' names, but 'Prince Philip' of Wales is probable, as the Duke of Edinburgh has just made 90.

I can't imagine William and Catherine would choose Sophie as their daughter's name, as his aunt is called Sophie. I know many of the Royal family use the same names (Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex and Prince Edward, Duke of Kent being one example), but I can't see William calling his daughter Sophie, as it's a bit too close to home with his Aunt still around. Perhaps Sophia could be a middle name. I like Victoria Sophia, sounds nice. I think most of the Queen's relations have Elizabeth thrown into their name somewhere. Is Zara's middle name Elizabeth?

I like the name Zara. It was quite different for the Royal family, particularly at the time. Did I read above that Charles chose her name?

Molly2101 said:
. Perhaps Sophia could be a middle name. I like Victoria Sophia, sounds nice.

:) my daughter's name is going to be Sophia Victoria so glad they sound nice together! Great minds think alike !

Should William & Kate use Elizabeth as a name for their future daughter it would honor the Queen, Queen Mother, Mrs. Middleton and Kate herself.

Cynthia is a nice name as well. The name of Diana's grandmother. I love the name Elizabeth too. Very pretty and traditional.

Molly2101 said:
I can't imagine William and Catherine would choose Sophie as their daughter's name, as his aunt is called Sophie. I know many of the Royal family use the same names (Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex and Prince Edward, Duke of Kent being one example), but I can't see William calling his daughter Sophie, as it's a bit too close to home with his Aunt still around. Perhaps Sophia could be a middle name. I like Victoria Sophia, sounds nice. I think most of the Queen's relations have Elizabeth thrown into their name somewhere. Is Zara's middle name Elizabeth?

I like the name Zara. It was quite different for the Royal family, particularly at the time. Did I read above that Charles chose her name?

I have read elsewhere that it was HRH the PoW who suggested his future niece's moniker.
As for the future Mrs. Tindall, her full name is Zara Anne Elizabeth Phillips.
I do believe she turned 30 years-old in May, 2011.

Alexander John

I personally don't like the name Eleanor, but it definitely would be a step up for this family. I'm still waiting for someone to name a son Stephan. As for Alexander John, I love the name Alexander and I think it transcends borders, but I heard that the royal family stirs clear of the name John.

Last edited:
XeniaCasaraghi said:
I personally don't like the name Eleanor, but it definitely would be a step up for this family. I'm still waiting for someone to name a son Stephan. As for Alexander John, I love the name Alexander and I think it transcends borders, but I heard that the royal family stirs clear of the name John.

Why does the RF stir clear of the name 'John?' What omens, do they believe, await a Prince/Duke/Viscount John through his life?
As names are very old-fashioned and traditional, usually, within the RF, I hope the D/DoC name their future(?) children popular but traditional names. There are many names from which to choose in this particular category. I do believe the current monarch (at the time) has last say-so on the name of a child born into the immediate RF????

I would like to see the Cambridges present us with Philip for a boy and either Diana or Elizabeth for a girl, with preference to Diana, IMO. Somehow I can more easily imagine Prince Harry naming a daughter, Diana, as his children will not have the same glare of publicity as the Cambridges.

Back
Top Bottom