Naming Customs of British Royalty, Favourite Name, Regnal Name and Numeration

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Queen Marie

Commoner
City
West Midlands
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe this is a silly question but, if you don't ask you'll never know!:eek:

Our last king named Edward was the eighth British king to bear that name.
BUT, there were three Anglo-Saxon Edwards (I The Elder, II The Martyr and III The Confessor) who don't seem to be counted. The count begins again with the Plantagenet King Edward I Longshanks. Also, there was Edward Balliol of Scotland.
All that would mean that Edward VIII was in fact Edward XII.

I have submitted this question to the official royal website many times, but have received no response.:confused:
I'm wondering if anyone here might be able to help me.

They started counting with William the Conqueror, so kings before him aren't included. If we get a King Alfred in the future, he'll be Alfred I, because Alfred of the burned cakes won't count even though he was the only king ever to rate the description "The Great."

I don't know if it's just convention or if England wasn't thought to be really united until William I came along, but whatever the reason, he's the starting point for the counting system.

Excellent! Thank you very much indeed!:)

From what I understand the other Edwards aren't counted in the numbering system because they have other names - the Elder, the Martyr and the Confessor. Also Elspeth is right that the counting started anew with William the Conqueror not because he was the first king after the Norman conquest, but because William I was the first king to actually rule over the WHOLE of England. The others all had bits being ruled over by Scandinavian countries and others I think. Kings before William the Conqueror are included, but just not Edward I think, because the Edwards were not numbered before the conquest. For instance, if we had another King Harold, he would be Harold III to distinguish between Harold I and Harold II king of England. Well that is what I believe to be correct, I am not a total expert.

Queen Marie said:
Maybe this is a silly question but, if you don't ask you'll never know!:eek:

Our last king named Edward was the eighth British king to bear that name.
BUT, there were three Anglo-Saxon Edwards (I The Elder, II The Martyr and III The Confessor) who don't seem to be counted. The count begins again with the Plantagenet King Edward I Longshanks. Also, there was Edward Balliol of Scotland.
All that would mean that Edward VIII was in fact Edward XII.

I have submitted this question to the official royal website many times, but have received no response.:confused:
I'm wondering if anyone here might be able to help me.

Actually, just to clarify, if the first three kings you mention were counted in the present numbering order then Edward VIII would have been Edward XI. Kings who were just kings of Scotland and not England do not count in the numbering system. For example James VI of Scotland was James I King of England, not James VII king of England. So Edward Balliol of Scotland could never count in the numbering system because he was not king of England.

Actually the lists have him as 'James VII and II' and so forth; we use 'James II' as a shorthand. You must list the title of a monarch of Scotland under the current rules. There are many pedants :) who will still say 'James VI and I'. Where it would get interesting is if we had a Queen Margaret, she would be Margaret II of Scotland (after the Fair Maid of Norway) and yet plain Margaret in England.

Yes Frothy you are right, but I meant that we do not say King James VII of England when refering to James I. He is James I of England, and VI of Scotland. We don't add them up together. The Scottish Kings had some interesting names that no King of England has ever had - Alexander, David, Constantine, Duncan, Kenneth, Macbeth, etc. I like those names a lot. Far more interesting than Henry, etc.

One thing to remember is that James I and VI was James VI of Scotland BEFORE he became James I of England. As a result it would be hardly possible to suddenly start renaming him in Scotland.

chrissy57 said:
One thing to remember is that James I and VI was James VI of Scotland BEFORE he became James I of England. As a result it would be hardly possible to suddenly start renaming him in Scotland.

Of course, I didn't say otherwise. I meant we don't add up the numbers of I of England and VI of Scotland to call him James VII of England.

felicia said:
Of course, I didn't say otherwise. I meant we don't add up the numbers of I of England and VI of Scotland to call him James VII of England.

Who ever suggested that we did add the numbers together?

I simply was pointing out a valid reason why James I and VI is referred to that way and to a lesser extent James II and VII is sometimes referred to that way (but most of my books simply call him James II - bad luck about the Scottish numbering).

Using the I and VI is not that same as adding the numbers together to get to VII but he is correctly called James I and VI (1 of England and VI of Scotland but before he inherited the English throne so he kept both).

chrissy57 said:
Who ever suggested that we did add the numbers together?

I simply was pointing out a valid reason why James I and VI is referred to that way and to a lesser extent James II and VII is sometimes referred to that way (but most of my books simply call him James II - bad luck about the Scottish numbering).

Using the I and VI is not that same as adding the numbers together to get to VII but he is correctly called James I and VI (1 of England and VI of Scotland but before he inherited the English throne so he kept both).

I was refering to the original post in this thread which said that Edward VIII would have been Edward XII of England if previous kings of England named Edward were counted in the present numbering system, which they are not. I was trying to explain that in fact we would say that Edward VIII was Edward XI of England if the 3 previous kings were counted (the elder, the martyr and the confessor) and we would not count Edward Balliol because he was JUST king of Scotland and not England. Simple misunderstanding.

Favourite British Royal Name?

Favourite British royal name?

Which one is your favourite?

Elizabeth Alexandra Mary
Charles Philip Arthur George
Camilla Rosemary
William Arthur Philip Louis
Andrew Albert Christian Edward
Beatrice Elizabeth Mary
Eugenie Victoria Helena
Edward Antony Richard Louis
Sophie Helen
Louise Alice Elizabeth Mary
Anne Elizabeth Alice Louise
Peter Mark Andrew
Zara Anne Elizabeth
Richard Alexander Walter George
Birgitte Eva
Alexander Patrick Gregers Richard
Davina Elizabeth Alice Benedikte
Rose Victoria Brigitte Louise
Edward George Nicholas Patrick Paul
Katharine Lucy Mary
George Philip Nicholas
Helen Marina Lucy
Nicholas Charles Edward
Michael George Charles Franklin
Marie-Christine Agnes Hedwig Ida
Frederick Michael George David Louis
Gabriella Marina Alexandra Ophelia
Alexandra Helen Elizabeth Olga Christabel

Eugenie Victoria Helen -I just love that one:flowers:

Elizabeth Alexandra Mary!

If I could combine a name by myself I would take:
Sophie Alexandra
or
Louise Victoria

For me, the prettiest is: Eugenie Victoria Helena.:wub:

Elizabeth Alexandra Mary--
I was also quite partial to Margaret Rose, but it wasn't a choice

I've always thought Elizabeth Alexandra Mary was a lovely name. Very regal, very elegant.

I think;Eugenie Victoria Helena or Louise Alice Elizabeth Mary

lady anne

I think I like Elizabeth Alexandra Mary. It just sounds royal. But I have always liked the name Elizabeth anyway. I like Chloe Elizabeth too. That would be a nice name as well.:flowers:

Beatrice Elizabeth Mary

Why wasn't Prince Henry name there for a choice?
Of the one available, I like William Arthur Philip Louis and
Eugenie Victoria Helena.
Isn't it funny that of Prince andrews daughters, one has a very Engilish name and the other seems to have a very French name.

Eugenie Victoria Helena and Elizabeth Alexandra Mary

If I could combine any of the names I would choose:

Alexandra Kathryne Margaret.

Back
Top Bottom