Mistresses, Out of Wedlock Children, Royalty and Legitimacy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wymanda

Royal Highness
City
Perth
Country
Australia
Most Princes of Wales have had at least one mistress and Charles is the first to be castigated for having a mistress. What do we know about previous royal loves and their influence on the princes in their lives?

Lillie Le Breton Langtry - Mistress of Edward VII

Attachments

• Lillie.jpg
    Lillie.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 2,252
Camilla Parker Bowles - Love of Charles, Prince of Wales

Attachments

• camilla20a.jpg
    camilla20a.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 2,057
Once again, I must ask that everyone post the links to the photos only. Next time a photo is posted but not the link the photo will be removed.
Thank you.

This is a very noty threat :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I belive they have more than one .............................................

Originally posted by wymanda@Feb 5th, 2004 - 2:10 am
Most Princes of Wales have had at least one mistress and Charles is the first to be castigated for having a mistress. What do we know about previous royal loves and their influence on the princes in their lives?
Most Prince of Wales didn't publically humiliate their wives in the process.

hi...

I did read the book or somewhere.. One of Camila's great grandma was involved with King Edward VII .. Is that right??? I forget her name Alice??? or other person???

Thank you
karla

Originally posted by lala22@Feb 6th, 2004 - 1:25 pm
Most Prince of Wales didn't publically humiliate their wives in the process.
Don't talk such utter rot! Of course they did but they didn't have to put up with the press to blow it out of all proportion.

Do you think Catherine of Aragon liked having her husbands paramours flaunted in her face and having to accept them as part of her household.

Do you think Queen Alexandra had any choice other than to act graciously when her husbands various mistress's were presented at court and, in many cases were amongst the intimate circle known as the Marlborough House Set? You may recall that Edward VII was named as a corespondent in an infamous divorce case. Queen Alexandra was also publicly informed by Lord Randolph Churchill, Sir Winstons father, that her husband had written love letters to a certain lady whose husband now intended to divorce her.

I the days prior to the gutter press how much more public can you get?

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Originally posted by wymanda@Feb 6th, 2004 - 6:01 pm
Don't talk such utter rot!

Do you think Catherine of Aragon liked having her husbands paramours flaunted in her face and having to accept them as part of her household.

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
No need to get so hot under the collar. You must care about Prince Charles a lot.

I won't comment on Henry VIII since hopefully no one will use him as a gauge for any kind of marital behavior.

As far as Edward VII, I don't believe he took up primary residence with one of his mistresses, and told everyone who would listen that he never loved Queen Alexandria anyway.

Originally posted by lala22@Feb 21st, 2004 - 10:54 pm
As far as Edward VII, I don't believe he took up primary residence with one of his mistresses, and told everyone who would listen that he never loved Queen Alexandria anyway.
Primary Residence????

Not while he was married to Diana &, if my memory is correct, not while she was alive.

Yes, Camilla does now spend a good deal of her time at Clarence House & Highgrove but Charles is now a widower in the eyes of the Church and a divorced man by law.

If he wants a live in lady friend he is entitled too.

The only reason Diana didn't move her paramours into Kensington Palace was that the Queen would have booted their & her rear's out of the place!

Originally posted by karla64@Feb 6th, 2004 - 11:55 pm
hi...

I did read the book or somewhere.. One of Camila's great grandma was involved with King Edward VII .. Is that right??? I forget her name Alice??? or other person???

Thank you
karla
Yep, Alice Keppel B)

Mistresses

I beg to differ. Even before the advent of the gutter press, British Kings and princes have flaunted their mistresses in front of the entire country.

Case One:
Charles II: Half the aristocracy in England owes their titles to this man's bastard children. His wife had no living children. Out of guilt, Charles did not divorce Catherine of Breganza nor did he get rid of her when he had the chance. But guilt did not prevent Charles forcing his wife to accept his lovers as her ladies in waiting.

Case 2:
George IV, the Prince Regent: His marriage was the scandal of the day. He lived with Mariah Fizherbert for years. After he died, his family still aknowledged her. He actually married her illegally. She was Roman Catholic.

Case Three:
Henry II: He was married to Eleanor of Aquataine, the richest heiress of her time; the Queen of both France and England. She bore Henry five sons. She married him months after being divorced by Louis of France. She had an affair with Henry's father, Geoffrey the Fair of Anjou while still the French Queen.

(Side Note: Interesting story:re: Henry's parents. They had a famously stormy marriage. It was his first marriage and her second. She was the only remaining child of Henry I of England and thirty when she married Geoffrey. He was FIFTEEN! They famously hated one another. They had an actual agreement to stay out of the same region of Anjou and Normandy whilst married. They had five children who apparently had affection for both their parents. Their marriage worked. They came together for ruling matters and to have children. They went their separate ways when not procreating. He died when he was thirty-eight. She outlived him.)

Eleanor was not a princess in a tower by any means. She actually raised several of William's children by other women with her own children in the royal nursary. It is only when Rosamund Clifford came on the scene that trouble began. To make a long and very complicated story short, Eleanor incited rebelliion amoungst her sons and tried to dethrone Henry. In return, he confined her to a castle until the end of his life.

These examples come from many different periods. The rulers of England have always been interesting to say the least. Charles is actually quite boring. He only had one mistress. And now, he is not married. he doesn't even rate in the top ten of bad husbands when you tally up the Princes of Wales and Kings of England.

Bad Husband List:
10. Charles II: he was charming but would you want to be married to a man who slept around as much as he did?
9. Edward VII: Mistresses by the Royal box load. After his wife got menengitis and became partially deaf, he went merrily on with his social life. Went running back to her when scandal arose and when mummy threatened him.
8. Haarald II: Denied being married to his wife of many years in order to make an alliance with William, Duke of Normandy. Cast doubt on the legitimacy of his children and eventually lost the throne to said William the Conquerer.
7. and 6. Edward II and Richard the Lionheart of England: That whole gay thing. Not to say that some gay men haven't made good kings and husbands. Just that these two were not very good husbands. Edward's wife retaliated by killing him. Her son imprisoned her for life after he grew up for doing it. I doubt Richard could have even described his wife.
5. Henry I of England: Had over thirty bastard children. Stole his wife from a Scottish convent. Got her pregnant beforetrying to get her vows annulled.
4. John I of England: Divorced his first wife after ascending the throne. Told her just before he married her off to another man. Married a thirteen year old a few months later.
3. George I of England: locked his wife up in a castle for adultery after murdering her lover. She died there.
2.Henry II: The reasons: The usual illegitimate children combined with a bad temper, locking up Eleanor in a castle for getting mad, and having children with the fiancee of your oldest surviving son.
1.Henry VIII: Killed 4 of his wives. (I count Katherine of Aragon seeing as he harassed her to an early death)

See, Charles in not even in the same league.

Cheers

Last edited:
Thank you, Dreamcatchergrl, for a very interesting info on Kings´mistresses!

Commenting on the pics of Alice Keppel, it is no wonder she catched King Edward VII eye. She was a knock-out. Camilla is just a poor copy of her.

Edward VII: Mistresses by the Royal box load. After his wife got menengitis and became partially deaf, he went merrily on with his social life. Went running back to her when scandal arose and when mummy threatened him.

Alexandra's deafness was congenital. Her mother was also profoundly deaf. I believe that she had Glandular Fever not meningitis.

Who knows anything about the so-called daughter of Camilla and Prince Charles ?
Apparently she was conceived 2 months before the royal wedding between Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer ; and is a student in London.

wymanda said:
Primary Residence????

Not while he was married to Diana &, if my memory is correct, not while she was alive.

Yes, Camilla does now spend a good deal of her time at Clarence House & Highgrove but Charles is now a widower in the eyes of the Church and a divorced man by law.

If he wants a live in lady friend he is entitled too.

The only reason Diana didn't move her paramours into Kensington Palace was that the Queen would have booted their & her rear's out of the place!

Well, is that not hypocritical?? What is good for the goose is good for the gander!!

Since Charles is now married, is there any point carrying on this argument?

Perhaps we could get the thread back on the general topic of mistresses.

Elspeth said:
Since Charles is now married, is there any point carrying on this argument?

Perhaps we could get the thread back on the general topic of mistresses.

Sorry Elspeth, I just found it so hypocritical.

Yes they are married now and the issue of being mistress is no longer valid.

However, I do not think anyone is going to forget how long she was a mistress and how lucky she is not to have remained one. Not many royals marry their mistresses. Very few examples exist such as Matilde Kchessinka, Madame de Maintenon (although never acknowledged and a morganatic marriage), and Mademoiselle de Choin (she married Louis XIV's son morganatically).

wymanda said:
Don't talk such utter rot! Of course they did but they didn't have to put up with the press to blow it out of all proportion.

Do you think Queen Alexandra had any choice other than to act graciously when her husbands various mistress's were presented at court and, in many cases were amongst the intimate circle known as the Marlborough House Set? You may recall that Edward VII was named as a corespondent in an infamous divorce case. Queen Alexandra was also publicly informed by Lord Randolph Churchill, Sir Winstons father, that her husband had written love letters to a certain lady whose husband now intended to divorce her.

I the days prior to the gutter press how much more public can you get?

what kind of language are u using??????????????????????? can't believe it...... don't u think that many ppl who used to love and still love Diana can get upset when u try to defend Camilla and Charles?

Last edited by a moderator:
karla64 said:
hi...

Thank you
karla

Alice Keppel was Edward VII's lover, and she is Camilla's great- grandmother, she used this to chat Charles up the 1st time they met at a polo competition, back in 1970.

emily62_1 said:
Alice Keppel was Edward VII's lover, and she is Camilla's great- grandmother, she used this to chat Charles up the 1st time they met at a polo competition, back in 1970.

PS- as Camilla descends from Sonia, the 2nd kid of Alice K., born in 1900, who many said was The King's child, Camilla could descend from Edward The VII, too.

Maria Fitzherbert ,who was a Catholic, and maybe the only woman George IV ever loved, became the morganatic ,secret wife of The Prince Regent.

is there any more modern examples besides typical Charles and Camilla?

oskana said:
is there any more modern examples besides typical Charles and Camilla?

I don't mean to open a can of worms here so I will tread very carefully....

I have heard (from several sources) that Prince Philip has had a number of affairs during his marriage to Queen Elizabeth II. I believe the rumours have involved French actress Helene Dordet, actresses Katie Boyle and Merle Oberon, and even Princess Alexandra of Kent.

Has anyone else heard these rumours, or have a comment?

Eliza

azile1710 said:
I don't mean to open a can of worms here so I will tread very carefully....

I have heard (from several sources) that Prince Philip has had a number of affairs during his marriage to Queen Elizabeth II. I believe the rumours have involved French actress Helene Dordet, actresses Katie Boyle and Merle Oberon, and even Princess Alexandra of Kent.

Has anyone else heard these rumours, or have a comment?

Eliza

I've heard similiar things although I can't remember the source. :confused:

I think those are quite common rumours; whether they've been substantiated is another matter entirely, of course! Prince Philip's comments have been along the lines that with his police protection along at all times, it would have been impossible for him to conduct affairs. Upon which, a person is tempted to respond to the effect that it didn't seem to stop Charles, Diana, or Fergie.

Back
Top Bottom