Mistresses, Out of Wedlock Children, Royalty and Legitimacy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
(2) have there been any illegitimate children in the British royal family in the last 100 to 200 years?
2. Valerie - Duchess of Arenberg. Her father was Prince Christian, son of Princess Helena of Great Britain, and Victoria's grandson.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Hon. Emily Tsering Lascelles and The Hon. Benjamin George Lascelles were born before their parents, Viscount and Viscountess Lascelles, married; they are excluded from the Line of Succession to the British Throne.

sweet flirtation I think, not comparable to James hewitt who blabbed.

Possible illegitimate daughter of Edward VII

Family rumor says that my grandmother was the illegitimate daughter of Edward VII. I would like to contact others who have a similar story concerning Edward VII.

Last edited by a moderator:
Over the centuries, hundreds of children were fathered by royalty (mostly male royals). While many of these children were acknowledged, some were not. It would be interesting if anyone could estimate how many children born in the last 50 years or so were fathered by royalty and who were born out wedlock from unions of royals or nobility. The true number probably will never be known. In the later part of the 20th century, preventive measures made this number decline.

What would happen if a woman or a man got on television and claimed that King so and so or heir to the throne so and so was their father and had proof of it. What would happen in that case.

So far as the position of today's British royal family is concerned, no person born illegitimate has any right of succession to the British throne. If an illegitimate claimant appeared, then, according to my understanding, all he or she would be entitled to would be to petition for financial support if still a minor.

I think that the days of being given a surname of Fitzsomething and a Dukedom are long-gone!!

I am not expert in European Royal and Princely families, but from memory, Prince Albert of Monaco has faced several paternity claims over the years. I believe that in at least one case, Prince Albert has admitted paternity and paid child support. I think that the settlement provided that there was to be no right of sucession to the Princely throne. Someone more expert than me on Monaco's reigning family would be better placed to assist, I feel.

Various claims of illegitimacy are not unknown in the recent past of the British Royal Family, although succession has never been the issue. The Duchess of Cornwall's great grandmother, Alice Keppel, was the mistress of Edward VII and may or may not have borne him any children. The Television Annoucer, Mary Malcolm, who died quite recently was the grand daughter of Lily Langtry, mistress of Edward VII, the implication being that Mary Malcolm was the illegitimate grandaughter of the King. There has never been any question of any illegitimate offspring the King might have had claiming succession to the throne.

The situation with regard to Prince Albert's father Prince Rainier is also interesting. Prince Rainier's mother, Hereditary Princess Charlotte, Duchess of Valentinois was born illegitamely. She was the only child of Prince Louis II and she was later legitimised through formal adoption and subsequently named heiress to the throne of Monaco. The Monagasque succession therefore extends to legitimsing offspring, which is not permissable under British Laws.

I am sure that someone better qualified than me can help you.

Good Luck

Alex.

Last edited:
If anyone who claimed to be the illegitimate child of a monarch or heir to the throne had proof of their parentage, they would be far better off to approach the family in private rather than burn their bridges by taking the matter public. In my opinion, a proven illegitimate child would probably be given a settlement and have to sign a confidentiality agreement, regardless of age, just to keep it secret.

I doubt any royal family today would take kindly to having their dirty laundry aired, considering that all the constitutional monarchies basically survive on the good will of their subjects.

Prince Albert of Monaco has acknowledged 2 illegitimate children, and Alex is correct in saying that these children are not in the line of succession to the throne of Monaco.

If Albert had married either of the mothers of these children, even after the fact, they would be made legitimate in the eyes of the government and would indeed have had succession rights.. but as he is about to marry Charlene Wittstock, the chances of that happening are currently at zero.

I think the only thing out of wedlock offspring would have claim to would be any private monies or properties that are owned by their alleged royal parent.

Isn't Albert de Monaco the only modern ruler who has acknowledged his children? Granted, he had to be forced into it by modern science. I wonder if Albert willingly gave DNA samples or if someone else in the family did. Anyone know?

BTW, I'm a fan of Albert. Thank goodness he wasn't married.

Last edited:
Albert of Belgium has also acknolwedged Delphine de Boel (I think her name is). And Queen Beatrix's father did as well before his death...he had two children outside of his marriage with Queen Juliana.

With DNA testing, paternity is proven. If someone files a false claim, then DNA proves it. A woman who makes a false claim will be found out. Why someone would do this, I can't imagine. What does such a person get out of it? It does nothing to benefit them and people think badly of them. I've never understood this.

Albert of Belgium has also acknolwedged Delphine de Boel (I think her name is).
King Albert never acknowledged the paternity of Delphine Boel; but at the same time he never denied it, so it is generally assumed as a fact that he is her father.

Posts about the descendants of Tsar Alexander II and Princess Catharine Dolgorukova, Princess Yurievskaya, have been moved to the Tsar Alexander II thread in the Imperial Family of Russia forum.

Family rumor says that my grandmother was the illegitimate daughter of Edward VII. I would like to contact others who have a similar story concerning Edward VII.
There is the same rumor in our family, I have very few details however

Albert of Belgium has also acknolwedged Delphine de Boel (I think her name is). And Queen Beatrix's father did as well before his death...he had two children outside of his marriage with Queen Juliana.

Prince Bernhard actually acknowledged his two daughters (Alicis and Alexia) out of wedlock in an interview that was published after his death (as he had agreed on with the journalist). They fully shared in his inheritance.

With DNA testing, paternity is proven. If someone files a false claim, then DNA proves it. A woman who makes a false claim will be found out. Why someone would do this, I can't imagine. What does such a person get out of it? It does nothing to benefit them and people think badly of them. I've never understood this.

Lots of people seem to want to believe that they are connected to royalty. I've had a few people tlel me that they are descended from X or Y - either famous or royal people, even if it is really impossible to prove...

Henry FitzRoy,Duke of Richmond and Somerset natural son of Henry VIII and Elizabeth Blount,Baroness Tailboys of Kyme was of great importance and also the only illegitimate offspring of whom Henry VIII acknowledged.

I wonder had Henry VIII any other illegitimate offspring?

I would say unlikely... I don't think that Henry was all that fertile, esp as he grew older. If he had had other bastards, he would have acknowledged them and made a point wth ending his first marriage that he was capable of fathering children, but that his marriage to Catherine was cursed and had only resulted in miscarraiges and one daughter.

Mary or Moll Davis was a mistress of King Charles II.

Its believed that Richard III had at least 2 illegitimate children

Katherine Plantagenet +1487 m the Earl of Pembroke
John of Gloucester , Captain of Calais and last mentioned in 1499

I've had always thought (without ANY proof) that Mary Boleyn Carey's eldest child Catherine was fathered by Henry Vlll. In a portrait of her, she is the splitting image of him. She certainly was his Mistress, its on record with him admitting it.

If *so*, it would mean that Henry's descendants will be on BOTH sides of the Family thru William. The Queen Mother's Family, The Bowes-Lyons were descendants of Catherine Carey. AS were Diana's Spencer Family.

Wish we could do the DNA. But I doubt it would ever be allowed.

But then who EVER imagined that King Richard lll would literally turn up OR actually under, in a parking lot !!!!!!!

Last edited:
There have been many rumours that both of Lady Mary's children were fathered by Henry VIII.

Catherine Carey,Lady Knollys born c1524
Henry Carey, 1st Baron Hunsdon born 1526

Back
Top Bottom