Members of the Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RoyalProtocol

Courtier , Royal Blogger, TRF Author
City
Belfast
Country
United Kingdom
I am compiling a comprehensive list of the members of the Royal Family. I have got as far as The Lascelles (not them all), This is just a rough list and any correction and improvements would be appreciated.

The Queen
The Duke of Edinburgh
The Prince of Wales
The Duchess of Cornwall
The Duke of Cambridge
The Duchess of Cambridge
Prince George of Cambridge
Prince Henry of Wales
The Duke of York
Princess Beatrice of York
Princess Eugenie of York
The Earl of Wessex
The Countess of Wessex
Viscount Severn
Lady Louise Windsor
The Princess Royal
Vice-Admiral Timothy Laurence
Mr Peter Phillips
Mrs Peter Phillips
Miss Savannah Phillips
Miss Isla Phillips
Mrs Mike Tindall (Zara Phillips)
Mr Mike Tindall
Miss Mia Tindall
Viscount Linley
Viscountess Linley
The Hon Charles Armstrong-Jones
The Hon Margarita Armstrong-Jones
Lady Sarah Chatto
Mr Daniel Chatto
Master Samuel Chatto
Master Arthur Chatto
The Duke of Gloucester
The Duchess of Gloucester
The Earl of Ulster
The Countess of Ulster
Lord Culloden
Lady Cosima Windsor
Lady Davina Lewis
Mr Gary Lewis
Master Tane Lewis
Miss Senna Lewis
Lady Rose Gilman
Mr George Gilman
Miss Lyla Gilman
Master Rufus Gilman

The Duke of Kent
The Duchess of Kent
The Earl of St. Andrews
The Countess of St. Andrews
Lord Downpatrick
Lady Marina Charlotte Windsor
Lady Amelia Windsor
Lady Helen Taylor
Mr Timothy Taylor
Master Columbus Taylor
Master Cassius Taylor
Miss Eloise Taylor
Miss Estelle Taylor
Lord Nicholas Windsor
Lady Nicholas Windsor
Master Albert Windsor
Master Leopold Windsor
Master ..... Windsor
Prince Michael of Kent
Princess Michael of Kent
Lord Frederick Windsor
Lady Frederick Windsor
Miss Maud Windsor
Lady Gabriella Windsor
Princess Alexandra, the Hon Lady Ogilvy
Mr James Ogilvy
Mrs James Ogilvy
Master Alexander Ogilvy
Miss Flora Ogilvy
Miss Marina Ogilvy (Mrs Mowatt)
Master Christian Mowatt
Miss Zenouska Mowatt - 78
The Dowager Countess of Harewood
The Earl of Harewood
The Countess of Harewood
The Hon Emily Shard
Mr Matthew Shard
Master Isaac Shard
Miss Ida Shard
The Hon Benjamin Lascelles
The Hon Mrs Benjamin Lascelles
Master Mateo Lascelles
The Hon Alexander Lascelles
The Hon Edward Lascelles
The Hon James Lascelles
The Hon Mrs James Lascelles
Mr Rowan Lascelles
Miss Tewa Lascelles
Miss Sophie Lascelles
Miss Tanit Lascelles
The Hon Jeremy Lascelles
The Hon Mrs Jaremy Lascelles
Mr Thomas Lascelles
Miss Ellen Lascelles
Miss Amy Lascelles
Miss Tallulah Lascelles
The Hon Mark Lascelles
Mr Henry Lascelles
Mrs Henry Lascelles
Master Maximiliam Lascelles
Mr Martin Lascelles
The Duke of Fife
Earl of Southesk
Countess of Southesk
Lord Carnegie
The Hon George Carnegie
The Hon Hugh Carnegie
Lady Alexandra Etherington
Mr Mark Etherington
Miss Amelia Etherington

Last edited by a moderator:
Wouldn't Autumn Phillips be considered a member of the RF?

So your definition of "Royal Family" is the descendants of George V and Queen Mary?

These surely are unofficial members of the royal family

I wonder at what stage of "closeness" do members of the family get the vote?

If we call this list 'Members of the Extended Royal Family' then there'll be no arguments and members can appreciate the work done by RoyalProtocol in compiling it for us. :)

I didn't see Sarah chatto on the list, or maybe I just didn't see it.

I didn't see Sarah chatto on the list, or maybe I just didn't see it.

I too couldn't find Sarah Chatto and her children listed.

They should be after Lord Linley and his children.

To me the list is really the descendents of George V - so the Queen's family including the descendents of her first cousins.

Do you mean Lady Nicholas Windsor? She was born Paola Doimi di Delupis. I don't think Lord Downpatrick is married yet -- he's only 20.

:previous:
You are quite right. Lord Downpatrick is at present studying at Oxford.
Sarah Chatto isn't on the list. She has 2 sons Samuel and Arthur. :flowers:

I wonder at what stage of "closeness" do members of the family get the vote?

Members of the BRF are not allowed to vote in the British General Elections. My question was really at what stage are the members of the family considered not close enough to the throne and allowed to vote in the elections?

Technically members of the royal family can vote, but they choose not to so as not to be seen comprimising the Queen and the Monarchy's political neutrality. I would imagine that apart from the Queen's children and maybe grandchildren and the couisnes who carry out official duties may not vote but the rest of the "family" probably could. I remember reading somewhere (the Daily Mail or The Telegraph) that Lord Linley attend a Conservative Party fundraiser not long ago.

So your definition of "Royal Family" is the descendants of George V and Queen Mary?
Well yes, but I had intended to go further as well, into those descended fro KEVII and QA.

These surely are unofficial members of the royal family
I think more extended than unofficial

If we call this list 'Members of the Extended Royal Family' then there'll be no arguments and members can appreciate the work done by RoyalProtocol in compiling it for us. :)
Thanks Warren, hopefully this will become a very extended and accurate list

I didn't see Sarah Chatto on the list, or maybe I just didn't see it.
I too couldn't find Sarah Chatto and her children listed. They should be after Lord Linley and his children.
Sarah Chatto isn't on the list. She has 2 sons Samuel and Arthur. :flowers:
Warren has added them in retrospect, thanks

Up to Miss Amelia Etherington there are 101 Members of the Extended Royal Family, we then would move on to the present royal family of Norway

Last edited:
It's an interesting list. Thanks for compiling it and posting it, RoyalProtocol. :flowers:

It's an interesting list. Thanks for compiling it and posting it, RoyalProtocol. :flowers:

Thanks, it's still a work in progress but we're getting there!:)

Technically members of the royal family can vote, but they choose not to so as not to be seen comprimising the Queen and the Monarchy's political neutrality. I would imagine that apart from the Queen's children and maybe grandchildren and the couisnes who carry out official duties may not vote but the rest of the "family" probably could. I remember reading somewhere (the Daily Mail or The Telegraph) that Lord Linley attend a Conservative Party fundraiser not long ago.

Many thanks, Tommy. Thats very useful information.

In the list, Lady Divina Lewis should be Davina surely?

Members of the BRF are not allowed to vote in the British General Elections. My question was really at what stage are the members of the family considered not close enough to the throne and allowed to vote in the elections?

I remember when they lowered the voting age in Britain in 1969 having a discussion in class about the fact that Princess Anne would actually be able to vote in the next General Election but that Prince Charles, as a royal duke (Duke of Cornwall) wouldn't.

It was also reported, in our papers (and I still have the cutting somewhere I think) reporting that she had stated that she wouldn't be exercising that right. That was in 1970 when she came to Australia with her parents and Prince Charles. There was a lengthy piece on her in our local paper as she came to the small town where I was at school, with the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh but not Charles (he wasn't allowed to fly on the same plane as the Queen) and that paper included her saying that she wouldn't vote although fully entitled to do so.

One of the reasons for creating the sons Dukes was so that they couldn't vote in or stand for election to the House of Commons.

Although divorced, both Sarah, Duchess of York and The Earl of Snowdon are considered extended members of the royal family as well.

Although divorced, both Sarah, Duchess of York and The Earl of Snowdon are considered extended members of the royal family as well.

As a rule I have only included those who are currently married into the Royal Family, Sarah and Tony are divorcees and therefore not actual members of the RF, but they are still extended members,

perhaps they could be added in italics at the end of the list

Sengreal, they would not be not considered to be of royal blood, since they are descendants of a person who was not married to a royal. Camilla, Sarah and Diana are all descendants of children "born on the wrong side of the blanket", to put it politely.

Most of their ancestors would have been given titles but would have been considered noble/aristocratic, versus royal

Does this mean someone descended legitimately marriage from a monarch is considered royal? Or would you just say they have royal blood? For example, I am descended legitimately from Edward III (through female but legitimate lineage), so I would think that I could say I have royal blood, but not that I am royal. Very diluted royal blood.

I would think that to be considered truly "royal", someone would have to have Royal Highness or Imperial Highness or Majesty as an actual title. Serene Highnesses and His/Her Highnesses aren't considered royal.

For example, The Princess Royal's children aren't technically royal, even though their grandmother is the Queen.

Does this mean someone descended legitimately marriage from a monarch is considered royal?

That certainly makes sense to me. Although British princes and princesses are titled His/Her Royal Highness, so I'd say they are royal, also (the children of the monarch.) And the grandchildren who are children of the monarch's sons -- Princes William and Harry, and Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie all have HRH, and so do Prince Edward's children, though he and his wife prefer not to use those titles. As I understand it, it's because children take their titles from their fathers that Princess Anne's children are not HRH.

Besides, I also read that most people with European ancestry could, if they had the resources, trace their lineage back to a European king somewhere. One source pointed out that kings and princes had more opportunity to sire children, and that they were richer and better nourished than peasants, thus more likely to have healthy children. And if they acknowledged illegitimate children they often gave them titles and lands, so they had wealth and an advantage for survival also, so a better chance of having lots of descendants.

Back
Top Bottom