Marina Mowatt and Family [daughter of Princess Alexandra] News

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iowabelle

Royal Highness , Royal Blogger, TRF Author
City
Des Moines
Country
United States
I just got the new copies of Majesty and Royalty and noticed in one that there was a picture of Marina Mowatt with her children, and Cassius Taylor (misidentified as her nephew). Does anyone know why Marina was invited? Haven't seen her around the royals in years, except for her father's funeral. Maybe it was in recognition of the loss of her father?

She's been back in the family fold since at least 1999 when she attended Edward's wedding.

Has she been back since Edward's wedding, or was that a one-time exception? I don't remember seeing her at the Jubilee celebrations or the Queen Mother's funeral (although since I was in California at the time and watching in the middle of the night, I probably missed all sorts of stuff).

Elspeth said:
Has she been back since Edward's wedding, or was that a one-time exception? I don't remember seeing her at the Jubilee celebrations or the Queen Mother's funeral (although since I was in California at the time and watching in the middle of the night, I probably missed all sorts of stuff).

Recently, she was on the balcony for the Trooping of the Colour in June with her daughter Zenouska. Marina has not aged well, she looked quite old!

ok, would someone fill me in on who Marina is? Is she the Ogilvy daughter? Why did she have a falling out, and what is she up to these days for example? Thanks

I think she rebelled against her parents, had a baby out-of-wedlock, and her wedding dress was awful

Yes, she's the Ogilvy daughter. She had a rather spectacular falling out with her parents some years back and made the mistake of trying to get the Queen publicly involved. I think it was in the early 1990s; she was living with a boyfriend who wasn't considered suitable by her parents, and she became pregnant. She claimed that her parents had wanted her to have an abortion; she wrote a letter to the Queen asking for her to intervene, and gave or sold the contents of the letter to one of the London tabloid newspapers. In the end she married her boyfriend during her pregnancy, but it was noted by the press, if I'm remembering this right, that the Queen's permission for the marriage omitted the usual wording of "our trusty and well-beloved cousin" and just said "our cousin," which is tantamount to a very major reprimand.

She and her husband ended up having two children and divorcing seven or eight years after the marriage, and she was at one point criticised by the newspapers for living on government handouts as a single mother when she came from such a rich family. She was not included in many of the royal family get-togethers for years after her wedding, but she did show up for the Wessex wedding in 1999.

As Tiaraprin said, she's showing her age and then some these days. It's hard to believe she's actually younger than Lady Helen Taylor.

Elspeth said:
As Tiaraprin said, she's showing her age and then some these days. It's hard to believe she's actually younger than Lady Helen Taylor.

Marina is only 2 years older than I. I am no beauty, but I look younger than her!! Some people still think I am in my late 20's (bless them!:D )

Thanks, Elspeth and Reina for filling in 'some blanks' on Marina! wow she certainly makes for a colorful royal!

I heard a story (I'm blanking on my source) that Princess Beatrice was close friends with Marina daughter.

The picture I saw was from the Trooping of the Colour.

I also saw some photographs in Majesty or Royalty from Sir Angus Ogilvy's funeral.

I think Marina's major "sin" was talking to the media. She claimed that when she got pregnant with Zenouska, out of wedlock, her parents told her to get an abortion. Then she made her parents out to be heartless monsters who always put their duty to the Crown ahead of their duty to their own family.

Maybe age has toned her down a little and given her some perspective.

Oppie said:
I heard a story (I'm blanking on my source) that Princess Beatrice was close friends with Marina daughter.

I heard that too and that she lent one of her old dresses to her for trooping. Its funny I would of thought Eugenie would be closer to her as they are so close in age

She attended the Queen Mum's funeral. There were few pix of the Kents at the Golden Jubilee, so I can't say whether she attended.

Eugenie and Zen went to school together, when they were younger, so they would problely be friends too. That article about the schools was 2 years old, I would imagine some relative came up with the money for their education. I remember Prince Charles was writing letters to their grandparents about the situtation, I think.(Charles is Marina's Godfather.)

Does anyone know what happened with that?

Ok I went to my universities research databases to look her up from which I got an article from The Times, May 16, 2003, which said that her house was not a grace-and-favor and that it was likely to be reported straight to the Treasury b/c it was like all income from the Crown Estate. Here is the link: http://www.newsint-archive.co.uk/pages/S.asp?pubsel=TIM&SrchText=marina+mowatt&DateFromDD=16&DateFromMM=May&DateFromYY=2003&DateToDD=16&DateToMM=May&DateToYY=2003&ResultListMax=100&head=&byline=&sect=&Caption=&edn=&page=&SortOrder=Desc&SortField=SDate&Submit1=Search&BackDD=Day&BackMM=Month&BackYY=Year&source=thetimes&SortField=Pub&SortOrder=asc&SortField=EDN&SortOrder=asc&SortField=Page&SortOrder=asc&ST=NS&SortSpec=&ResultMaxDocs=100&Site=ALL&Collection=NI&ResultCount=20&summreqd=yes&indexkey=3ACF383100800071658E220&advsrch=0&QueryText=%28marina+mowatt%29+%3CAND%3E+%28PUB%3DTIM%29+%3CAND%3E+%28%28SDate%3E%3D5%2F16%2F2003%29+%3CAND%3E+%28SDate%3C%3D5%2F16%2F2003%29%29&_P=1. It is not the whole article, but an abstract as you have to have a subscription to read the whole thing. However I was able to read the whole thing though, but it just talked about the Crown Estate.

I hope it works. So maybe someone in the royal family has brought her a more suitable place to live? Hopefully?

Ah! Here are more details about where she lives. This article from http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/this_britain/article221559.ece tlaks about her and PEdward and PAndrew receving 'royal housing benefits'. So apparently MArina lives in a threee bedroom cottage in Windsor Great Park. SO thankfully she and her kids live in some kind of comfort. However you can't get the whole articl ewithout paying. BU tshe stilll lives on benefits.

Reina Thanks! But Is There Nothing Newer?

The problem is that alot of newspapers requires a paid subscription to view the article. Here is one, but you have to pay

From the daily mail
Let's sort out the problem with hard-up Marina, says Charles
by Richard Kay - 12/05/2003
PRINCE Charles has offered to help in the family row over his goddaughter Marina Mowatt

But I have to take back what I said earlier. I don't think that three room cottage is a luxurious one. I think some of the Crown Estates are commercilaized. I would liek to get access to more current news too.

Ok I got the article that I posted above from the independent off another site. I tis from May 15, 2005. I guess her situation has not changed much. I don hope that her kids don't follow in her footsteps.

A 30-room mansion in the grounds of Windsor Castle? To you, Sir, £250 a week
By Independent News
May 15, 2005, 08:46
http://www.ezilon.com/information/printer_4612.shtml

Marina's landlord is the Crown Estate Commissioners -- the board that overseas the Crown Estates -- not the Queen. Marina's parents were from that generation that believed it was better to allow your children to learn from their mistakes, rather than bail them out time after time. Besides, Angus and Alexandra were never "cash rich". They had/have a lot of assets, but not a lot of ready cash to bail someone out. A lot of their wealth is tied up in their home, art, jewels, etc. Marina's made numerous mistakes, and she seems to have learned from them and seems to be getting her life back on track.

kelly9480 said:
Marina's landlord is the Crown Estate Commissioners -- the board that overseas the Crown Estates -- not the Queen. Marina's parents were from that generation that believed it was better to allow your children to learn from their mistakes, rather than bail them out time after time. Besides, Angus and Alexandra were never "cash rich". They had/have a lot of assets, but not a lot of ready cash to bail someone out. A lot of their wealth is tied up in their home, art, jewels, etc. Marina's made numerous mistakes, and she seems to have learned from them and seems to be getting her life back on track.

I sincerely hope Marina is back on track now for the sake of her children.

This has just reminded me of aother article I read once ages ago, I can't remeber where ir came from, but the long and short of it was she had a stalker so they moved her and her children onto the windor grounds because of the police protectuion there. As I say I can't really remeber it it was from 1997. Anybody else heard about it?

Marina moved onto the estate in 96/97 allegedly because her husband was physically abusive so it kept him away from her and the children. I never read anything about a stalker.

Actually I did come across an article taht talked about a stalker and it raised a big fuss cuz she had Scotland Yard security to protect her.

Back
Top Bottom