Lord and Lady Nicholas Windsor and Family News 1: July 2005-

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Katharine has lead a very private life, the whole family has. She is known as Katharine Kent most often and i'm not surprised she wasn't in the photos.

Just because the Duke is a Free Mason and an Anglican doesn't mean he cannot attend his own grandsons christening.

Duchess & the Christening

I just think it's odd that she wasn't at the Christening. After all, not 1 in 100 could pick Nicholas Windsor out in a crowd! Seems a shame that she wasn't there.

I am sure there is probably a legitimate reason she isn't there. As previously mentioned she is devoted mother, grandmother and Catholic. She probably didn't just blow off the occasion.

No,she was born untitled since her family,although very old,didn't have any official title...

When her father invented all those titles one of the members of the Croatian Noble society said:"Isn't it being a Doimi di DeLupis just enough?"That means that this family is very old and respected in this area...

There are many controversies around the titles of the Doimi de Frankopan family. I have made some research to clarify the situation and my conclusion is that although their titles are a bit pretentious and maybe not 100 per cent genuine their use is defensible.

The Doimi and the Frankopan families are very likely from the same stock. The 2 lines became seperated in the 13th century, but by that time the family already had the title of count. According to Hungarian-Croatian noblity law all family members hold the title, so Paola and her father too are entitled to the title of Count.

The princely title is somewhat more vague. The Latin word for Count is Comes which usually is translated to Italian as Conte, to Croatian as grof, to Hungarain as gróf and German as Graf. However the great medieval Dalmatian and Croatian families were referred in Croatian and sometimes even in Latin texts as Knez, which in contemporary Croatian means certainly Prince, but in the early middle ages it was used in the meaning of Italian Conte, as grof was a later borrowing from German Graf. Basically this uncertaintly is the base of their princely title.

The use of Frankopan surname is as if the Hanover dynasty returned today to the Este or Welf surname, or if teh Windsor family called themselves Wettin. Anachronistic, but not without base.

What is completely pretentious and genealogically not defensible is the Subic and Zrinski surname, because these families mixed with the Frankopan family only after the separation of the Doimi branch.

Last edited:
As a private citizen in the democratic state, Lord Nicholas Windsor has got a full right to express his opinion. However, drawing controversial comparisons between the two topical subjects is short-sighted.

There are many controversies around the titles of the Doimi de Frankopan family..
As I explained on another page,they were indeed a very noble family,first mentioned around 1200...

They were awarded with nobility status of Holy Roman Empire in 1753 as part of Venetian nobility and thier noble status was confirmed in 1865 as part of Austrian nobility,but as a NON-TITLED family-although very prominent one of that region...

Here is a tree of Doimi di Delupis family where you can also find Paola:
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k126/auersperg21/Delupis.jpg

You can also find their genealogy in the link I posted on previous page...here is it again where you can see that the branch of Paola's part of the family only held the title:"Nobile di Parenzo e Lisa;Guidice a Spalato"!

Here is the link again:http://www.genmarenostrum.com/pagine-lettere/letteral/Lupis/Lupis%20di%20Dalmazia.htm

All these informations about this family were provided by Donna Mariela Maria Gracia Doimi di Delupis(first cousin of Paola's father Vjekoslav) and dr.Mirko Jamnicki,son of Donna Maria Doimi di Delupis (relative of Paola's father Vjekoslav) and the archive of Croatian National Noble Assembly!

Hope this helped a little!

Last edited by a moderator:
What is completely pretentious and genealogically not defensible is the Subic and Zrinski surname, because these families mixed with the Frankopan family only after the separation of the Doimi branch.

Unfortunately for them,those families are completely different ones.There isn't any written proof that they are the same family...which was also confirmed by number of historians and other members of noble Doimi di Delupis family...

They consider their family very grand as it is and said that there is no need for adding false family names to such family name...

Frankopan,Zrinski or Subic families never held the title of Prince,Knez(exact translation of title "Knez" is Fürst) or King...Paola's brother who is himself a historian(mastered in Croatian history) said that they added the title of Prince just to reflect the ancient lineage of the House of Doimi di Delupis,even if they were in fact never titled!

The only connection that COULD exist is that(according to Jeronim Buffalis,a genealogist from Trogir) Ursa Subic(not even mentioned in every genealogy),daughter of Paul Subic,Ban of Croatia married in the town of Trogir a member of Doimi family in 14th century...and at that time Subich haven't even yet become Zrinski family(16th century)!

By that example,Queen Elizabeth II could now call herself a Sarkozy,just because she has descended from a Sarkozy family in 17th century!

Last edited:
The Hon is a mistake ... Hon applies to the younger sons of earls and the sons and daughters of Viscounts and Barons. The Queen has not extended anything to Nicholas' sons. The Act of Settlement is rather straight about the succcession -- If you are a Catholic, or married to a Catholic, you are not a dynast ...

Based on the little I know about British titles, I didn't think sons of the younger son of a Duke would be entitled to the courtesy title Honorable. They should be just Masters Albert and Leopold. It made me wonder if the Queen might have given Lord Nicholas some title of his own that hadn't been announced. I figured that they would be in the line of succession until they actually made the decision to be Catholic themselves.

Paola was born without any title ... her father has adopted a few titles along the way - including Frankopam, which has been extinct for centuries. Paola was born in Britain, which makes her a British national -- legally she was Miss Paola surname before her marriage.

She was born a Countess then her family adopted the titles Prince and Princess.
Her children will have no titles, but will be The Honourable more than likely.

The Hon is a mistake ... Hon applies to the younger sons of earls and the sons and daughters of Viscounts and Barons. The Queen has not extended anything to Nicholas' sons. The Act of Settlement is rather straight about the succcession -- If you are a Catholic, or married to a Catholic, you are not a dynast ...
According to the Official royal website,
Succession:
34. The Hon. Albert Windsor
35. The Hon. Leopold Windsor
They are accorded the title The Honourable.

Lady Nicholas Windsor has attended the memorial service for fashion designer
Catherine Walker, who died in September 2010, at St. Luke's Church, Chelsea
on January 28, 2011 in London. Lady Gabriella was present as well.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Frankopan,Zrinski or Subic families never held the title of Prince,Knez(exact translation of title "Knez" is Fürst)

Sorry, but I have to disagree with this. You are right, that these families never were granted the title of Prince (Fürst, Princeps), but yes, they were called in Croatian Knez. The word knez in Croatian had the meaning of "big boss" and only later became an equivalent to Prince. Families styled Knez in Croatian in the middle ages were usually known as Counts (Comes, Conte, Graf, Gróf) in other languages. The Croatian world Grof is a relatively late German-Hungarian loanword in the Croatian language.

I speak Croatian language and have Croatian roots,so I know what you speak of...There was a special title of Ban(Big boss) which was used in he context of "ruler" as you say and some members of those families had this title...but never the title of "Fürst/Prince" in truly sense of the word-they were only Counts,so even on that point there isn't any sense in Paola's father in calling himself a Prince!

Just like in Bulgaria the King is called Tsar,although he doesn't have the title of Tsar or the Emperor,just the King!

Never the less,that doesn't change the fact that they(Doimi di DeLupis) don't have any proof for connection with those great families,apart from what I mentioned earlier and that was confirmed by Doimi di De Lupis family members I also mentioned in my previous posts!

He seems to be a good Catholic

He is not a theologian or academic. He "studied theology at university"! His views are only published because of his relationship to the BRF. I wonder how "pro life" he would be if his wife, sister or one of his nieces was attacked, raped and became pregnant by the rapist! Would that be a gift from God?????

It is difficult to judge what happens in his soul,what are his exactly thoughts...
I suppose,maybe he intended to talk about general matters,not these horrible cases...

In today's politically-correct climate, I find it refreshing that someone speaks openly about his Christian beliefs. He's not a Royal Highness and not sponsored by the tax-payer, and he lives in a democracy that, at least in theory, allows a person to state his opinion.

In today's politically-correct climate, I find it refreshing that someone speaks openly about his Christian beliefs. He's not a Royal Highness and not sponsored by the tax-payer, and he lives in a democracy that, at least in theory, allows a person to state his opinion.

Agreed! So enough from me on the subject :flowers:

Wonderful surprise and rare to see: Lord and Lady Nicholas attended the wedding of Prince Georg Friedrich
von Preussen and Princess Sophie in Germany today and brought their two little boys Albert and Leopold
with them!

** Pic **

I saw them,but didn't recognize at once.

Well his views are well known and in line with his strict Catholic views, however if he were Mr Nicholas Smith or even Lord Nicholas Smith his views would not receive the same or perhaps any media attention. It is the Windsor name that grabs the press. While I would disagree with his views he is, like everyone else, entitled to express them.

Back
Top Bottom