Lord and Lady Nicholas Windsor and Family News 1: July 2005-

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Royal Wedding in the Vatican afterwars 400 years.
Article of Hola.com
http://www.hola.com/casasreales/2006/09/14/curiosidad-nicholas/
Translation:
Nicholas Windsor, son of the Dukes of Kent, marriage will contract of November with Paola Frankopan in the Vatican next month, according to a couple's friend has informed the daily newspaper Daily Mail. Apparently Queen Elizabeth his consent has given to its cousin, Lord Nicholas Windsor, although for the moment the ad has not become official for part of Buckingham's Palace. The ceremony will not be at the Sistine Chapel according to British the press, neither it will be officiated for Vicar of Christ, rather will have place at a chapel of San Pedro's large church. It will be the first time that a member of The Real British house get married in the Vatican for four hundred years, since you end it you were during The Reform.

The son of Kent's Dukes and Paola Frankopan attend regularly the religious services of Westminster's cathedral of London and it does them a lot of illusion to contract marriage in Rome. Nicholas and Paola maintain a relation for four years. Paola Frankopan is Croat once Great Britain was been born in and the European aristocracy's member. Nicholas, of 36 years, meets in the put number 25 in the line of succession to the Throne. You converted the Catholicism five years ago, following his mother 's footsteps, Katharina Kent, the fact that in 1994 the first member was like one of the family Real British that you did it.

Last edited:
wymanda said:
No offense to Warren etc but I was pretty convinced that Lord Nick was "batting for the other team".

:lol: It is sad, though, that a gay man or woman who has a royal affiliation feels it necessary to be in the closet. If he is gay, then he should be open, as all gay people should, because repressing one's sexuality is damaging to a person's soul. It's destructive on so many levels. I wish people would just accept that royals are subject to those things too. What's wrong with being Lord Nicholas Windsor and being gay? Maybe he is not gay at all, but if he is, it is extremely important to show support rather than ridicule. Though Wymanda's way of phrasing it ("batting for the other team") is very funny. :ROFLMAO:

I found these pics of Nicholas on hola.com. They come with this article:
http://www.hola.com/casasreales/2006/09/14/curiosidad-nicholas/

His father looks very much like the Prince of Wales here, as the Duke of Kent sometimes does, don't you think? Their facial muscles and the way they twitch are so much alike. Is this picture an old file pic from Princess Margaret's funeral? :unsure:

Since I was the one who wondered what was up with Lord Nicholas initially, and I just happened to see this posting, I am astonished at the news of this wedding. I am really surprised he's marrying someone more exotic than the usual British Royal spouse -- and pretty amazed he managed to pull this off without the tabloids getting into it.

Engaged !!!!

Buckingham Palace press releases

ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE ENGAGEMENT OF LORD NICHOLAS WINDSOR

26 September 2006

THE FOLLOWING STATEMENT IS ISSUED BY THE PRESS SECRETARY TO THE QUEEN

The Duke and Duchess of Kent are pleased to announce the engagement of their son Nicholas to Paola, daughter of Don Louis and Donna Ingrid Doimi de Frankopan of London.

So it's official. I wonder whether His Holiness will let them marry in the Vatican.

They are suggesting that Nicholas will marry "inside" the Vatican. The Daily Mail didn't say "The Vatican", they said, "St Peter's Basilica" but I doubt that. Whatever, if they do marry in the Vatican, the Queen will be unlikely to go.

I doubt that His Holiness will celebrate the Holy Mass for their marriage. Not at the enromous Basilica, has there ever been a royal wedding in there anyway?

BeatrixFan said:
They are suggesting that Nicholas will marry "inside" the Vatican. The Daily Mail didn't say "The Vatican", they said, "St Peter's Basilica" but I doubt that. Whatever, if they do marry in the Vatican, the Queen will be unlikely to go.

The Queen doesn't usually go to weddings of her cousin's children even if they're CofE, so I doubt the location would be the reason for her absence. She didn't go to Lady Helen's wedding or to either of the Gloucester weddings.

The Pope definately won't have anything to do with this marriage. He may meet the couple before or after their wedding if he's "at home" but the Pope really only does baptisms and sometimes funerals, not weddings. There's been quite a few weddings in the Vatican - and I think there's been a few in St Peter's Basilica but it'll be a matter of time and date. If they want an Easter or Lent time wedding, they restrict themselves on venue.

The Queen doesn't usually go to weddings of her cousin's children even if they're CofE, so I doubt the location would be the reason for her absence.
Thats what I meant. Add the fact that it's in Rome though, and it's almost definate that she just won't go. Unless of course she teamed the wedding up with a visit to the Pope. She hasn't met His Holiness yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's right, she hasn't. She met His Previous Holiness, didn't she? But not this one yet.

Congradulations to the Couple upon this annoncement. Best of Luck for the futur. Does anyone know when the wedding wil take place

Wedding

Congrats to the couple!

I thought the Queen did attend the wedding of Lady Helen. She didn't go to Lady Davina or the Earl of Ulsters as I thought they wanted no fuss weddings.

I think the queen don't go to catholic weddings, but I not sure

Good for him! Congrats to both, and may they have a long, healthy, and blessed marriage.

The Queen attended two of the four weddings there have been among the children of her Kent cousins ie James Ogilvy's in 1988 and Lady Helen's in 1992. The only reason she didn't attend the Earl of St. Andrew's wedding was because it was a register office wedding and she never attends these and no Royals attended Marina Ogilvy's wedding because of the difficult circumstances surrounding it. However the Queen didn't attend either of the Gloucester childrens weddings.

It's interesting to note that the Earl of St. Andrews had to go to Scotland to marry because it was an accepted fact that Royals couldn't legally marry in a register office in England hence the lingering doubt in many quarters over the legality of Charles and Camilla's marraige

Last edited:
What were the difficult circumstances surrounding the wedding of Marina Ogilvy?

AND

Is this young man attempting to marry at the Vatican?

It would be a shame if the Queen did not go based solely on the fact that it is a/would be a catholic ceremony. I know that she is the head of the church of England, but heads of other faiths often attend services at churches of another affiliation.

The greek orthodox and russian orthodox (patriarch and metropolitan, I think they are called?) head priests have both attended a mass at St Peters...

Dress code will be an interesting one. Technically, the ladies will be required to wear black and a veil or mantilla with the exception of the bride.

It would be a shame if the Queen did not go based solely on the fact that it is a/would be a catholic ceremony. I know that she is the head of the church of England, but heads of other faiths often attend services at churches of another affiliation.

I think there would be a lot of other reasons, 1) She doesn't always attend her cousin's childrens wedding even if they are in England (and in the case of the Earl of Ulster and Lady Davina I think they were held at St. James Palace) 2) She rarley attends events outside of GB, I doubt that she would travel to Vatican or Rome for one wedding. 3) Lord Nicholas does not have succession rights and it seems that he tries to avoid the spotlight he might want a low-key wedding like Lady Davina.

I also doubt that the Pope will officate, it might be in Rome or even in the Vatican City but I don't think the Pope does weddings, bapstims sometimes but not weddings.

The Pope won't officiate but if he's in residence then it will affect the ceremony. I should image the marriage will be carried out by the Cardinal Camerlengo or possibly the Archbishop of Westminster in the Vatican. It'll be a very interesting one.

Gloucester

If I recall correctly, the Queen didn't attend the Gloucester's wedding as both of the children (Lady Davinia and the Earl of Ulster) requested low key weddings. And let's face it...if the Queen of England attends your wedding...well..that ain't low key:wub:

As she appears to be somewhat close and respects both the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester and the work they do for Royal Family, I doubt that she wouldn't attend their children's wedding. Unless of course, she had a schedule conflict.

So has a date been announced yet in regards to Lord Nicholas? I am glad..he is getting married...he has been so low key and sometimes the news was somewhat worrisome (drugs and depression). Good for him!

BeatrixFan said:
The Pope definately won't have anything to do with this marriage. He may meet the couple before or after their wedding if he's "at home" but the Pope really only does baptisms and sometimes funerals, not weddings. There's been quite a few weddings in the Vatican - and I think there's been a few in St Peter's Basilica but it'll be a matter of time and date. If they want an Easter or Lent time wedding, they restrict themselves on venue.

All the best to the couple. May they be blessed with many happy years of marriage & children.
You can go & have your marriage blessed by the Pope. I have a friend who did that on her honeymoon- she went to Rome & when she went to The Vatican she wore her wedding dress & everything.

A blessing would be nice. And the media would have a field day with inaccurate historical catholic-bashing.

I have once heard say that Her Majesty The Queen does not go to Royal weddings and Funerals due to the protocle of her title as Queen and there would be various reasons surronding this.

Right, we have the details of Nicholas's wedding. There will be a pre-wedding gala at Il Palazzo Taverna di Monte Giordano - one home to the Borgias. That will be on the 3rd November - no guest list as yet.

Second day we have the wedding - they are marrying NOT in the Vatican but in Vatican City at the church of Santo Stefano degli Abissini. Then on the third day, there's going to be a Mass in the roof gardens of a hotel near the Colosseum. Not sure who will be going or officiating as of yet but it seems to be a very glam do. Well done Nicholas - he's got a girl of quality obviously.

Lord Nicholas Windsor

Hello everyone. I came across an article regarding the impending marriage of Lord Nicholas Windsor to Croatian Princess Paola de Doimi de Frankopan. The article is mainly about the lineage of the Croatian Princess, but what struck my interest in the article is that this wedding will be the first British Royal wedding in the Vatican in over 400 years. Anyone know who were the last British Royals to be married in the Vatican? I've done some searches online and have come up empty handed. Here's the link to the story: http://www.dailyindia.com/show/65065.php/Windsor-bride-to-be's-lineage-questioned

Not exactly in the Vatican but in Italy
were wedding by proxy between James II with Maria de Modene 20 or 30 Sept 1673 at the Ducal Palace, Modena, Italy. Their son James "The Old Pretender" and Maria Clementina Sobieska were married Sep 3, 1719 in the Cathedral of Santa Margherita at Montefiascone, Italy. After their wedding James and Maria Clementina were invited to reside in Rome at the special request of Pope Clement XI. The Pope acknowledged them as the (Catholic) King and Queen of Britain. The Pope provided them with a papal guard of troops, gave them the Palazzo Muti in the Piazza dei Santi Apostoli on Rome to live in + a country villa at Albano.

I'll try find more.

Back
Top Bottom