Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-04-2020, 12:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Moved to a different topic.

Old 01-04-2020, 12:36 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Could anyone on this forum kindly list the potential successors to the UK and Commonwealth realms thrones from number 60 to 80 at least ?

Most online sources stop at the descendants of sons of King George V, the last of whom is currently # 59 in line.
This link is not an updated one but it lists further down the line. (as of 2011)

https://web.archive.org/web/20110517...sion/2011.html

Old 01-04-2020, 12:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroyalfly View Post
This link is not an updated one but it lists further down the line. (as of 2011)

https://web.archive.org/web/20110517...sion/2011.html
So, in short: after the descendants of the sons of George V come the descendants of his only daughter (Mary); as far as they were born in recognized marriages (most of them seem to have been born out of wedlock).

And after that come the descendants of George V's younger sisters; first the Fife's and then the Norwegian royal family. And only after that come queen Victoria's other descendants...
Old 01-04-2020, 01:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Could anyone on this forum kindly list the potential successors to the UK and Commonwealth realms thrones from number 60 to 80 at least ?

Most online sources stop at the descendants of sons of King George V, the last of whom is currently # 59 in line.
It is worth noting that such lists are unofficial and have not been subjected to validation. The private citizens who may be potential successors are not likely to self-disclose whether they are in communion with the Anglican church or whether their children were born from the use of sperm donation or surrogacy, but these questions are in principle relevant to their succession rights.
Old 01-04-2020, 02:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
So, in short: after the descendants of the sons of George V come the descendants of his only daughter (Mary); as far as they were born in recognized marriages (most of them seem to have been born out of wedlock).

The linked list mentions “ legitimation by marriage”. Does that count in British succession law ? I thought it did not.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

No - legitimation by marriage' doesn't count in the line of succession either to the throne or to a title.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:31 PM
Courtier

Even if this is unofficial, it is fun to go down the list and see just how many members of other royal families are theoretically in the line. I have always laughed when you go down the list and eventually hit the Duke of Edinburgh (#679 at the time). I guess I have a weird sense of humor.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The linked list mentions “ legitimation by marriage”. Does that count in British succession law ? I thought it did not.
The writer of the list places an X instead of a number next to the mention of those descendants, which acknowledges that they are not in the line of succession.

The reason is that the Act of Settlement contains a limitation to "heirs of the body", which common law defines to exclude legitimated issue.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marlboro View Post
Even if this is unofficial, it is fun to go down the list and see just how many members of other royal families are theoretically in the line. I have always laughed when you go down the list and eventually hit the Duke of Edinburgh (#679 at the time). I guess I have a weird sense of humor.

It is also interesting to realise that Carl-Philip and his descendants are ahead of Victoria and her descendants in the line of succession to the British throne. This is because of the timing of the Succession to the Crown Act.
Old 01-04-2020, 09:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
It is also interesting to realise that Carl-Philip and his descendants are ahead of Victoria and her descendants in the line of succession to the British throne. This is because of the timing of the Succession to the Crown Act.
There have been questions raised if the Bernadottes are in the British line of succession at all since Princess Sibylla did not request permission from the British monarch to marry Hereditary Prince Gustaf Adolf. After reading enough discussions on the matter I'm of the opinion that it's impossible to say if they are or not.
Old 01-05-2020, 07:31 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
The writer of the list places an X instead of a number next to the mention of those descendants, which acknowledges that they are not in the line of succession.

The reason is that the Act of Settlement contains a limitation to "heirs of the body", which common law defines to exclude legitimated issue.
But the writer of the list did not put an X next to the names of individuals who are known to be Roman Catholics, including foreign monarchs like King Felipe VI and King Albert II of Belgium. Why ?
Old 01-05-2020, 07:37 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I have never heard that there is any problem.

Neither Gustav Adolf not Sibylla needed consent from the British monarch under the RMA as both are descended from British princesses who had married into foreign royal houses - which the RMA exempted.
Gustaf Adolf descended from a British princess who married into a foreign royal family, but I believe Sybilla descended from Queen Victoria in male line. That is why the legitimacy of her marriage under the RMA is sometimes questioned.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Gustaf Adolf descended from a British princess who married into a foreign royal family, but I believe Sybilla descended from Queen Victoria in male line. That is why the legitimacy of her marriage under the RMA is sometimes questioned.

Exactly. The traditional interpretation held that the exemption for descendants of British princesses who married into foreign families did not pertain to male-line descendants of British monarchs. Otherwise, the descendants of King Edward VII would have been entirely exempt as his wife Alexandra was descended from a British princess who married into the Danish royal family.

There doesn't seem to be much question that the Bernadottes descended from Princess Sibylla were illegitimate in the eye of British law under the Royal Marriages Act prior to the Succession to the Crown Act, but the Succession to the Crown Act confused the matter by legitimating some, but not all, marriages and descendants who were formerly illegitimate under the Royal Marriages Act.

ETA: The Succession to the Crown Act states that legitimation under the Act does not affect succession to the throne, so I suppose they remain ineligible. However, legitimation would affect succession to British peerages, which is relevant to Sibylla's brothers.

For those interested, there is a good explanation from Gawin earlier in the thread: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ml#post2094499

Quote:
But the writer of the list did not put an X next to the names of individuals who are known to be Roman Catholics, including foreign monarchs like King Felipe VI and King Albert II of Belgium. Why ?
He explains on the website that as the limits of the religious requirements have never been definitively determined, he expresses no view on which persons would be prevented from ascending the British throne by the religious restrictions.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:27 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
The private citizens who may be potential successors are not likely to self-disclose whether they are in communion with the Anglican church or whether their children were born from the use of sperm donation or surrogacy, but these questions are in principle relevant to their succession rights.
As far as I understand people in the Order of Succession do not have to be "in communion with the Anglican church" They merely have to be not Roman Catholics - the Greek Royal Family are Greek Orthodox, the Yugoslav Royal Family are Serbian Orthodox, but they are still in the Order of Succession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishjaveed View Post
I am currently researching the line of succession to the British Throne in it's current form and it's previous forms. What I want to know is what did the line look like just before the Perth Agreement and who were affected by it. I know that Senna Lewis, Tāne Lewis, Lyla Gilman, Rufus Gilman, George Windsor, Earl of St Andrews, Prince Michael of Kent and Michael I of Romania were among the members who were affected by it. Who else was not in the line of succession before but was included after the Perth Agreement?
The Crown Prince of Yugoslavia will be have reinstated, after being excluded for marrying a Roman Catholic. Also Prince Ernst August of Hanover.
Old 01-23-2020, 04:41 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camsterlaird View Post
As far as I understand people in the Order of Succession do not have to be "in communion with the Anglican church" They merely have to be not Roman Catholics - the Greek Royal Family are Greek Orthodox, the Yugoslav Royal Family are Serbian Orthodox, but they are still in the Order of Succession.

One has to be Protestant to be in the line of succession and Roman Catholics are in particular explicitly excluded. The monarch must be in communion with the Anglican church and he/she is required under the Accession Declaration Act to make a declaration upon his/her accession that he/she is a "faithful Protestant" and will uphold the enactments that secure "the Protestant succession to the throne".

A separate provision in the Act of Union 1707 requires the monarch to declare that he/she will preserve the presbyterian Church of Scotland and the Coronation Oath act require him/her to swear he/she will maintain "the true Profession of the Gospel and the Protestant Reformed Religion Established by Law", which I believe means the Church of England.

So a Greek orthodox or a Muslim would not qualify to succeed or, at least, that is my understanding of the British statutes, which are sometimes written in an arcane language, as in the case of the Act of Settlement. The actual text of the Act of Settlement says (emphasis added):

Quote:

and that from and after the Deceases of His said Majesty our now Sovereign Lord and of Her Royall Highness the Princess Ann of Denmark and for Default of Issue of the said Princess Ann and of His Majesty respectively the Crown and Regall Government of the said Kingdoms of England France and Ireland and of the Dominions thereunto belonging with the Royall State and Dignity of the said Realms and all Honours Stiles Titles Regalities Prerogatives Powers Jurisdictions and Authorities to the same belonging and appertaining shall be remain and continue to the said most Excellent Princess Sophia and the Heirs of Her Body being Protestants
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camsterlaird View Post
The Crown Prince of Yugoslavia will be have reinstated, after being excluded for marrying a Roman Catholic. Also Prince Ernst August of Hanover.

King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands was also reinstated after having been excluded when he married Queen Máxima, who is Catholic.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:33 PM
Commoner

I have some very interesting questions to ask.
If the unthinkable happened to William and his family. and Harry became heir after Charles,
1, could Harry turn down the big job on his and Archie's behalf?
2. Could Archie become King if Harry refused.
3. Would Andrew become King or be banned
4. Could Beatrice be moved up the line very quickly
Old 02-03-2020, 11:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carin View Post
If the unthinkable happened to William and his family. and Harry became heir after Charles,
1, could Harry turn down the big job on his and Archie's behalf?
2. Could Archie become King if Harry refused.
3. Would Andrew become King or be banned
4. Could Beatrice be moved up the line very quickly

1. Yes

2. Usually it removes the whole line out of succession.

3. Andrew is still, at this point, in the line of succession after Archie.

4. Only if Andrew abdicated unless there is some mechanism in the current law where the government could prevent him from becoming King. I have no idea on that one.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:47 PM
Imperial Majesty

If the unthinkable happened to William and his family, and Harry became heir after Charles:

1. Could Harry 'turn down' the big job? - Yes he could abdicate. He would cause a lot of heartache as 16 countries would have to pass the legislation but yes he could.
2. Could he also abdicate for Archie? No - once Harry has abdicated for himself Archie is King and Harry has no say in that.
3. If Archie was King before turning 18 then Andrew would be Regent
4. Would Andrew become King - if Harry and Archie - along with all of William's children weren't available? Yes. Why would he be banned? He hasn't been charged with a crime so there is nothing against him. If he is charged and then convicted the situation may change but an allegation isn't a conviction and under British law a person is innocent until PROVEN guilty in a court of law - not the court of the media
5. Beatrice would only move up via the death of her family members ahead of her in the line of succession
Old 02-03-2020, 11:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

Replying to Pranter:

1. Yes - agree

2. Usually it removes the whole line out of succession - no it doesn't. The line of succession actually comes into effect e.g. 1936 the person who replaced the abdicating King was the next in the line of succession. Edward's abdication included any future children. As he had no existing children that isn't a relevant exclusion. Harry could abdicate for children born after he abdicates but not for an existing child

3. Andrew is still, at this point, in the line of succession after Archie - of course he is. He is still also eligible to serve as a Counsellor of State - as was made clear when he stood down from royal duties

4. Only if Andrew abdicated unless there is some mechanism in the current law where the government could prevent him from becoming King - there is none as the UK believes, officially, in innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
1. Yes

2. Usually it removes the whole line out of succession - no it doesn't. The line of succession actually comes into effect e.g. 1936 the person who replaced the abdicating King was the next in the line of succession. Edward's abdication included any future children. As he had no existing children that isn't a relevant exclusion. Harry could abdicate for children born after he abdicates but not for an existing child

3. Andrew is still, at this point, in the line of succession after Archie.

4. Only if Andrew abdicated unless there is some mechanism in the current law where the government could prevent him from becoming King - there is none as the UK believes, officially, in innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

Ah ok I was thinking of Edward...and that it would include even born children.

LaRae

Tags
british royal family, danish royal family, dutch royal family, norwegian royal family, swedish royal family