Lady Sarah Chatto and Family News 1: October 2003-

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't like this, but then I don't like anyone to show pictures of themselves in their underwear. :D It certainly is "out there" for a royal relative. Hopefully his parents can convince him to take it down.

Arthur has another photo like this one on his Instagram; it seems like he's a fan of these topless photos. However, it doesn't leave a good impression on him in regards to his royal status. I doubt he'll take it down but it's not tasteful.

Ick. And he's also sharing his dry cleaning which is not my idea of decor. :lol:

I can tell I am old, because I just can't buy into the narcissism of selfies - half naked or not.

Arthur has another photo like this one on his Instagram; it seems like he's a fan of these topless photos. However, it doesn't leave a good impression on him in regards to his royal status. I doubt he'll take it down but it's not tasteful.
He has no royal status. Although related to royalty hes not one himself. Distasteful or not people post these kind of pics these days.

Last edited:
He has no royal status. Although related to royalty hes not one himself. Distasteful or not people post these kind of pics these days.

I thought it was clear that I meant "royal associations" but perhaps I should have used a better word if we have to be precise here. Of course people post these type of photos, as someone who actively uses social media I'm fully aware of that but we can all share our opinions and that's mine.

Ick. And he's also sharing his dry cleaning which is not my idea of decor. :lol:

I can tell I am old, because I just can't buy into the narcissism of selfies - half naked or not.

You did get a huge chuckle out of me for I am so with you on this thing called *selfies*. Why show the world your everything and yr home is so far out there. He is a nice looking young man, no doubt about that yet maybe something is missing in his life to do this. I am wondering if all the people that show their lives on this social media thing have something missing elsewhere in their lives.

Must be old age sitting in or lose of brain power.....:lol:

I had the same appalled reaction you all did, then I started thinking about it a bit more. Yes, it's a little narcissistic to post a picture like that, but by the same token, he has obviously put in a LOT of hard work to get that physique, so why not brag a little with a picture? That's the way his generation communicates.

And, yes, he is a member of the Queen's family (I think that's how his grandmother once described her children's position), but he's not in an official position, so he has no obligation to live up to public expectations.

It also occurred to me that if they been young people in this era, his grandparents would probably have been doing their own Instagram uploads. After all, they were pretty "edgy" for their generation.

But most important, he's an 18-year-old guy. Kids that age do all kinds of inappropriate and silly things. (A look at Princess Olympia of Greece's Instagram over the years shows a similar, um, lack of decorum.) Hopefully for him, it will interest the right girls and impress his buddies...and blow over.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

I just checked out his instagram account. He has only made 16 posts. That's not very Kardashian like. He does have 18K followers probably a bunch of teenage girls.

I had the same appalled reaction you all did, then I started thinking about it a bit more. Yes, it's a little narcissistic to post a picture like that, but by the same token, he has obviously put in a LOT of hard work to get that physique, so why not brag a little with a picture? That's the way his generation communicates.

And, yes, he is a member of the Queen's family (I think that's how his grandmother once described her children's position), but he's not in an official position, so he has no obligation to live up to public expectations.

It also occurred to me that if they been young people in this era, his grandparents would probably have been doing their own Instagram uploads. After all, they were pretty "edgy" for their generation.

But most important, he's an 18-year-old guy. Kids that age do all kinds of inappropriate and silly things. (A look at Princess Olympia of Greece's Instagram over the years shows a similar, um, lack of decorum.) Hopefully for him, it will interest the right girls and impress his buddies...and blow over.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

You raised some interesting points to consider. I showed the photo to my mother and your point about Arthur's physique was the first thing she pointed out - she said; "I bet he spends a lot of time at the gym". Even though I still somewhat stand by my initial opinion, after reading your post I now agree that perhaps he was just proud of what his hard work at the gym has resulted in and as a social media user, the natural instinct for him was to share it with his followers.

The only thing I'd disagree with you on is that not all young adults aged eighteen do silly and inappropriate things - but I understand what you mean.

There's something homo erotic about that picture. Could he be the first openly gay member of the British royal family?

To be fair, Arthur Chatto is neither royal nor noble. His father Daniel Chatto is an artist and actor, as was his late grandfather Tom Chatto. His mother happens to be a Lady, is a granddaughter of a King and is the niece to the Queen. That is "all" there is. The dude is proud on his physique and shows it. Any link to royal life is remote.

He is a completely private citizen. He has no title, and even if he did, he isn't a working royal. He has no protocol to follow. Nothing he is posting is that shocking, that different then many men his age do. The only person he answers to are his parents who are paying his schooling.

Now if he was still page if something to the queen, and was posting bizarre photos, then there would be room to comment.

:previous: You both missed this post of mine regarding this matter:

I thought it was clear that I meant "royal associations" but perhaps I should have used a better word if we have to be precise here. Of course people post these type of photos, as someone who actively uses social media I'm fully aware of that but we can all share our opinions and that's mine.

:previous: Samuel did not look disrespectful with long hair. Is he the first Royal gentleman to have long hair like this?

How dare he grow his hair! The British upper class need to relax. I doubt anyone told Samuel to smarten up and cut his hair.

Perhaps it was his mother or father's Christmas present! :D

How dare he grow his hair! The British upper class need to relax. I doubt anyone told Samuel to smarten up and cut his hair.

Agreed. It was clean, styled and looked much better than my hair does at that length.

Seriously, we have several family members (male and female) that grow their hair to donate to charity. But whatever the reason, bravo Samuel!

Beautiful earrings, and a lovely tribute to her mother. Based on the picture in the link, her look last Saturday was perfect.

Apparently Arthur is an 'esquire' (see picture at Ascot). Has he been an esquire for a long time? Was it granted because he once was a page of honour to the queen or is his older brother also an esquire? And if so, why?

Esquire is just a very formal but now somewhat old fashioned title given to any gentleman of standing in the UK. Its very formal but is not a title that is granted, its just like using Mr or Mrs, you don't get told you can use it.
I suspect its just an Ascot racecourse thing and any man with a badge for the royal enclosure would have Esq after their name unless they have a higher title - Lord, Earl, Prince etc.

More on it here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esquire#Modern_British_usage

Esquire is just a very formal but now somewhat old fashioned title given to any gentleman of standing in the UK. Its very formal but is not a title that is granted, its just like using Mr or Mrs, you don't get told you can use it.
I suspect its just an Ascot racecourse thing and any man with a badge for the royal enclosure would have Esq after their name unless they have a higher title - Lord, Earl, Prince etc.

More on it here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esquire#Modern_British_usage

I always thought esquire was connected with the legal profession?

In Australia I have seen it used recently for an attorney eg. John Smith, Esq or likewise after the name of a land owner. It's not that commonly used these days and I think mostly it's used by a person (not the bearer of the title) to address someone else when posting a letter or on business correspondence. Just my opinion.

Looking it up just now on the Internet I find that Esquire is also Kinght related. It is used as a title by English landed gentry ranking below a Knight and for a candidate for a Knight serving as a shield bearer or attendant to a Kinght.

Odd, there was a similar story many years ago about Prince Edward and James Ogilvy invited themselves to one of Sarah's dates. She was quiet keen on the boy - it was rumored that Princess Margret has requested that the boys go along to the party.

:previous: Thanks eya. Did they attend before, after or during the Duchess of Sussex's visit?

Back
Top Bottom