Lady Davina Lewis & Lady Rose Gilman and Families, News 1: September 2007 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It must be difficult for some of the older royals to watch the next generation able to divorce so easily.

Think of how difficult it was for Charles!

And the Duke of Kent was not allowed to divorce, nor could Princess Margaret wed a divorced man.

How times have changed!

:previous: The link says 50% of King George's grandchildren have divorced. National average for the UK is 42% (I looked it up).

I think all divorce is difficult to watch. :sad:

I wonder if Gary will go back to New Zealand to live.

Hard to believe it was over 14 years ago that they married very sad for the family that it has ended in divorce.

Sad news though perhaps it was for the best as we never know the underlying reasons for why a couple divorces. I hope Senna and Tane won't be affected negatively by the divorce and that they'll still be able to see both their parents equally. Is it known who has custody of the children?

Sad news though perhaps it was for the best as we never know the underlying reasons for why a couple divorces. I hope Senna and Tane won't be affected negatively by the divorce and that they'll still be able to see both their parents equally. Is it known who has custody of the children?

If the children stay in England and their father in New Zealand, I guess they won't see each other very often, which is rather unfortunate.

:previous: The link says 50% of King George's grandchildren have divorced. National average for the UK is 42% (I looked it up).

I think all divorce is difficult to watch. :sad:

Grandchildren of king George V:
Queen Elizabeth - married
The Princess Margaret - divorced
Earl of Harewood - divorced & remarried
The Hon. Gerald Lascelles - divorced & remarried
Prince William of Gloucester - unmarried
Duke of Gloucester - married
Duke of Kent - married
Princess Alexandra, the hon lady Ogilvy - married
Prince Michael of Kent - married

(none of his (6) children and a third of his (9) grandchildren divorced - in both cases one didn't marry)

Grandchildren of king George VI:
Prince of Wales - divorced & remarried
Princess Royal - divorced & remarried
Duke of York - divorced
Earl of Wessex - married
Earl of Snowdon - married
Lady Sarah Chatto - married

(half of his (2) children and half of his (6) grandchildren divorced)

Lady Davina is the second of the former Duke of Kent's grandchildren to divorce.

AdmirerUS had probably King George V'descendants in general

All grandsons of Mary Princess Royal, Countess Harewood - David, James, Jeremy, Mark, Henry & Martin - have divorced and remarried.
Lady Marina Ogilvy, formerly Mowatt is divorced.
And now Lady Davina.

:previous: Admireus was quoting a link. The link states that 11 of the 22 great-grandchildren of George V are divorced.

I wasn't aware Martin Lascelles was divorced. But if he is that makes the math right.

Mary- all 6 grandchildren divorced
Bertie- 3 of six grandchildren divorced
Henry- one of three grandchildren divorced
George-one of seven grandchildren divorced

Last edited:
If the children stay in England and their father in New Zealand, I guess they won't see each other very often, which is rather unfortunate.

That would be a pity. I hope Davina and her husband can come to an arrangement that will suit both them and the children (or as much as can be during divorce, since I'm sure the children would really like to have both parents together, understandably).

Always sad news to hear when a couple divorces. But from the fact we haven't heard until now, it seems to have at least been a civil divorce. If it had been a messy one it would have come out sooner.

Hopefully they are co-parenting well for the sake of their kids.
Divorce can be very hard on children when the parents cannot agree on anything that involves the children. Hopefully this will not occur for Davina's children.

Are there any recent sightings of Davina and her children ?

Will she revert to being called Lady Davina Windsor after the divorce ?

Buckingham Palace's spokesperson referred to her as Lady Davina Lewis in his confirmation of the divorce (link in message #136), and I am not sure she would be able to revert to Windsor even if she wished to. King George V's proclamation of 1917 said:

Now, therefore, We, out of Our Royal Will and Authority, do hereby declare and announce that as from the date of this Our Royal Proclamation Our House and Family shall be styled and known as the House and Family of Windsor, and that all the descendants in the male line of Our said Grandmother Queen Victoria who are subjects of these Realms, other than female descendants who may marry or may have married, shall bear the said Name of Windsor:​

Lady Davina is included in "female descendants who may marry or may have married" (she has married, even if she has now divorced) in "the male line of Our said Grandmother Queen Victoria", so the conventional understanding is that she is not allowed to "bear the said Name of Windsor". Queen Elizabeth II, also a female descendant in the male line of Queen Victoria who had married, needed to issue a royal proclamation to allow herself to bear the name of Windsor.

Back
Top Bottom