Earl and Countess of St. Andrews and Family News 1: September 2003-

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Elspeth said:
Going to Eton seems to be a tradition in the family, so his name was probably down for Eton from the time he was born.

this is true. That's the most likely possibility. I forgot about that. Yes, I think the earl of st. andrews did go to eton as well.... Well, it's a nice compromise anyway. His father's school and his mother's religion.
:)

Just been wondering why does the Duke of Kent's grandson or bloodline have more significant title than the Queen's own grandchildren, take for example, Sarah and Peter Phillips, Lady Louise Windsor...And as you've mentioned, the Kents noble bloodline will last for generations or forever taken the fact that they are just the Extended royal family...I know that Sarah and Peter have no tiltles because their father, Mark Phillips is a commoner and did not accepted the Queen's offer of earldom and its The Princess Royal's decision to give her children a more private life than being a titled royal..I just find it a bit odd that Baron Downpatrick will be known in the future as The Duke of kent,Earl of St. Andrews..while the Queen's direct bloodline her grandchildren such as Peter and Sarah are titleless, Lady Louise Windsor is not a Princess..I know its their parent's decision not to give them a high-profile royal title..I just find it a bit odd that the Duke of Kent's grandson and decendants in the future have a continous nobility bloodline than the Princess Royal's or the Duke of York's..Prince Andrew has two girls, in case, he wont bare a son, does it mean that nobody will inherit the dukedom of York??...or one of his daughters can?

Last edited:
Zara and Peter Phillips do not have titles as their mother is female and titles are not handed down through the female line, except in cases such as the Duchess of Fife and the Countess of Burma.

Since Mark Phillips refused a peerage by the Queen after marrying Princess Anne, any children they had have no titles. Princess Anne and Mark wanted it this way so their children could lead normal, non-royal lives.

In the royal family and the aristocracy, a child's title is determined by the male line titles. IE: Duke of Rutland's children are lady and lord. His eldest son takes his secondary title but is not a peer. The oldest grandson takes the next title as a courtesy title.

Lady Louise Windsor, daughter of the Earl and Countess of Wessex, is technically a princess as she is descended through the male line, her father. She can use the title Princess Louise when she is older if she wants to.

However, when the two married, they decided any children they might have would take the courtesy titles of being an Earl's children, hence the reason she is known as Lady Louise.

Now, Henry - Duke of Gloucester, and George - Duke of Kent, were two male sons of George V, have sons still alive and who have suceeded to the titles.

The current Duke of Gloucester has a son Alexander, Earl of Ulster, who will inherit the title when his father dies.

The current Duke of Kent has two sons, but the oldest is known as the Earl of St. Andrews, the Duke's secondary title. The Earl has a son, Baron Downpatrick, who uses his grandfather's secondary title as a courtesy.

In the British Peerage to help you out you can have: this is just an example:

Duke - Marquess - Earl - which translates to Granfather - Son - Grandson.

The first is the actual peer, the second and third are courtesy titles used by the oldest son and grandson.

Hope this helps.

ok,Lady Marmalade thanks for that clarification, I understand now.

Many of the current Dukes and peers in the UK owe their titles to ancestors who were the illegitimate offspring of various Monarchs (especially Charles II). Such is the nature of it. Zara Phillips is higher up the Order of Succession than the Duke of Gloucester, who is a Royal Highness, but that's the way the system works. Different hierarchies (eg precedence, succession) for different purposes. A title is not always the indicator of relative "importance". It basically depends on what aspect one is measuring, eg Precedence in the Queen's family is different to that laid down for Official purposes. This is what makes it complex and interesting!

Patricia's correct style and title is "Countess Mountbatten of Burma", a crucial distinction in the standing of the peerage. Being an "Earl Spencer" is a higher honour than being an "Earl of Avon" as it is part of your name and not associated with a place. So Patricia's title is much more significant than if she were Countess of Burma, which would not be honourable given that it no longer exists as a British colony (Sri Lanka today).

Your title has nothing to do with your placement in the line of succession to the throne. Precedence flows from the Sovereign as the fount of honour, so the closer to the throne, the more important you are, regardless of whether you are a Prince, Duke, Earl, Marquess, or plain Mr. Smith.

branchg said:
Patricia's correct style and title is "Countess Mountbatten of Burma", a crucial distinction in the standing of the peerage. Being an "Earl Spencer" is a higher honour than being an "Earl of Avon" as it is part of your name and not associated with a place. So Patricia's title is much more significant than if she were Countess of Burma, which would not be honourable given that it no longer exists as a British colony (Sri Lanka today).

Minor correction, Sri Lanka is the former Ceylon. Myanmar is the former Burma.

Lady Marina-Charlotte Alexandra Katharine Helen Windsor (born 30 September 1992) is the elder daughter of George, Earl of St. Andrews and Sylvana, Countess of St. Andrews. She was born at the Rosie Hospital in Cambridge. She is 23rd in the Line of Succession to the British Throne, bypassing her father, an Anglican who married a Catholic, and elder brother who is Catholic.

Lady Amelia Sophia Theodora Mary Margaret Windsor is the younger daughter of George Philip Nicholas Windsor, Earl of St. Andrews and Sylvana, Countess of St. Andrews, formerly Sylvana Palma Tomaselli. Born at the Rosie Hospital, Cambridge, 24 August 1995.
She and her older sister Lady Marina-Charlotte Windsor remain in the line of succession, although her father, who married a Catholic and her elder brother Edward, Baron Downpatrick, who converted to Catholicism in May 2003, do not, in accordance with the Act of Settlement 1701.

Does anyone have any pictures of them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have a picture of baron downpatrick,the son of the duke of Kent,I don't think he is at Eton as he is in his thirties.The grandson of the duke of kent (the earl of St Andrews son)is at Eton.

Baron Downpatrick is the Duke's grandson. He was born in 1988.

Hes the same age as princess beatrice. i supose they are friends

Edward's christening-

Photos: Tom Hustler

Attachments

• 1989%2004%2023.jpg
    1989%2004%2023.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 3,129
  • 1989%2004%2023%20%20%20a.jpg
    1989%2004%2023%20%20%20a.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 5,236
  • 1989%2004%2023%20%20%20d.jpg
    1989%2004%2023%20%20%20d.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 2,792
  • 1989%2004%2023%20%20%20t.jpg
    1989%2004%2023%20%20%20t.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 13,615
marlene said:
Does anyone have a picture of baron downpatrick,the son of the duke of Kent,I don't think he is at Eton as he is in his thirties.The grandson of the duke of kent (the earl of St Andrews son)is at Eton.

Baron Downpatrick is the Earl of St Andrew's eldest son and heir and therefore at possibly still at Eton. Due to his age I would assume that he is either in his last year there or finished at the end of the last school year.

He isnt in the spotlight much neither are his parents so we cant really tell much about him. I hope he will be at the queens 80th birthday celebrations. Maybe well see some pics of him from there

Any pix of these kids?? I only remember the christening with Diana.
Sylvania was born where I live by the way Newfoundland. Her father was in the military so that's why.

Edward, Lord Downpatrick (goes by just "Edward Downpatrick")
Born on 2 December 1988
Godson of Diana, Princess of Wales
Grew up in Cambridge, England
Studied at Eton College (class of 2007)
Played Field Game at Eton
Currently studying at Keble College, Oxford (just started this fall for the Michaelmas term to read French and German)
He plays on the Oxford Association Football Club.
Renounced his place in the Line of Succession by embracing (albeit liberally) Catholic faith, like his mother, grandmother, and uncle
Opposes fox hunting with dogs ban, likes billiard fives, F1 racing, the Harry Potter books, certainly likes girls (a lot) :D
Is very close to his sister Lady Marina. They travel a lot together, to most of Europe, to Canada, and as far as Jordan
Friends call him Eddy or (especially guy friends from Eton) Downpatrick

Two Pictures of Downpatrick with his grandfather The Duke of Kent ane Sir Jackie Stewart at the Silverstone Grand Prix 2003 (Getty)

Recent Picture Edward Downpatrick attended The Concert for Diana and provided a quote for the BBC. ;)

Lady Marina-Charlotte Windsor (always goes by just Marina)
Born on 30 September 1992
Studying currently at St. Mary's School in Ascot (class of 2010)
Is a friend of Prince Joachim of Belgium, Princess Eugenie of York, and Maria-Immaculata of Liechtenstein, and also Leopoldine of Liechtenstein
Wikipedia informs that her favorite subject at St. Mary's is drama.

Lady Amelia Windsor
Born on 24 August 1995, like her sister at the Rosie Hospital in Cambridge

Last edited:
Does anyone have any pictures of the Earl and Countess of St. Andrews from white tie events?

From this link courtesy of Elly C, the Earl of St Andrews and Lady Marina Charlotte Windsor were in the Royal Box at Wimbledon on Thursday 2 July.

Where have you been hiding girls? After years in the shadows, two more Windsor beauties step into the spotlight | Mail Online

They are cousins of high-profile Royals Lord Freddie Windsor and his sister Lady Gabriella – while Princes William and Harry are relatives.

Yet until now Lady Marina and Lady Amelia Windsor have led a cloistered life at an exclusive girls’ boarding school.

This week the girls change all that as they launch themselves into society with a glamorous photoshoot in Tatler magazine.

Well i'll definetely be buying that issue of Tatler, it's wonderful to see the girls.

Lady Amelia looks gorgeous!! Wonderful pictures, the Kent branch is blessed with beauty.

It is lovely to see how the children have grown.

Most distressing again by the comments of the DM readers but I must remember the source. And of course, no one realizes that this particular branch of the Kents get NO money from the British public. But why let little facts like that get in the way of a good story and drumming up anti Royal behavior.

Horrible comments on the DM but of course they come from people who know nothing what so ever!!!!

Lady Amelia Windsor

Where have you been hiding girls? After years in the shadows, two more Windsor beauties step into the spotlight

They are cousins of high-profile Royals Lord Freddie Windsor and his sister Lady Gabriella – while Princes William and Harry are relatives.

Yet until now Lady Marina and Lady Amelia Windsor have led a cloistered life at an exclusive girls’ boarding school.

This week the girls change all that as they launch themselves into society with a glamorous photoshoot in Tatler magazine.

Along with their handsome brother Edward, Baron Downpatrick, they are pictured across seven pages, modelling outfits designed by Hardy Amies, the Queen’s official dressmaker.

The trio are the children of the Earl of St Andrews, and great great-grandchildren of King George V.

Lady Marina, 18, admits she models herself on her glamorous great-grandmother Princess Marina. ‘She was the most elegant woman I know of,’ says Marina.

‘And one I’ve made many failed attempts at emulating.’

The Windsor trio’s father George, 48, played an important role in their upbringing after dropping out of a career in the diplomatic service.

He became a househusband while their Canadian mother worked as a £35,000-a-year academic at Cambridge University.

Read more: Lady Marina and Lady Amelia Windsor step into the spotlight on Tatler photoshoot | Mail Online

Lady Amelia Windsor:

Meet Lady Amelia Windsor, cousin of Lady Gabriella and her brother Lord Freddie Windsor. Until just recently Amelia has purposely remained out of the public eye, and has been living at a private all-girl boarding school. Now her and her sister, Lady Marina, have been unveiled to the world by way of a glamorous photo shoot featured in Tatler Magazine. Find out more below.

Lady Amelia Windsor: Royal Beauty (Photos) » Right Celebrity

Lady Amelia Windsor is a stunning young lady who we will surely be seeing more and more of in the near future. Her recent pictorial in Tatler perfectly displays the elegance of her and her charming brother Edward Baron Downpatrick, and their sister Marina.

According to 15-year-old Amelia’s two siblings she is the fashion connoisseur of the family. They even have admitted that she is more “clued up” when it comes to style. Despite her trendiness, when asked what her favorite item is in her wardrobe, she replied: “A jumper my mother gave me. It was hers when she was young… and quite frankly, it’s the comfiest jumper you’ll ever come across.”

Let’s take a quick glimpse into the young royal’s life, shall we?

As a biography, she was born Amelia Sophia Theodora Mary Margaret Windsor on August 24, 1995 at Rosie Hospital in Cambridge. Her mother is Sylvana Windsor, Countess of St Andrews, and her father is George Windsor, Earl of St Andrews. Presently she is enrolled at St Mary’s School Ascot…Like I mentioned earlier, the Lady is new on the scene so there isn’t too much info available about her yet. However, if you are aware of any accurate bio info please feel free to add it in the comment section.

Find the Tatler Photos of Lady Amelia Windsor at –

Lady Marina and Lady Amelia Windsor step into the spotlight on Tatler photoshoot | Mail Online

The Queen, Some Underwear, and Her Bedroom (all in a London's day work)

Full royal house for Trooping the Colour ceremony

The Lady Amelia Windsor (Amelia Sophia Theodora Mary Margaret Windsor; born 24 August 1995) is the younger daughter of George Windsor, Earl of St Andrews and Sylvana Windsor, Countess of St Andrews. She was born at the Rosie Hospital, Cambridge. She currently goes to school at St Mary's School Ascot. She is 28th in the line of succession to the British throne.[1] She remains in the line of succession, although her father, who married a member of the Roman Catholic Church, her elder brother, Lord Downpatrick and elder sister Lady Marina-Charlotte Windsor, both of whom were confirmed as Roman Catholics, do not, in accordance with the Act of Settlement 1701.

Lady Amelia Windsor's patrilineal descent (the principle behind membership in Germanic royal houses) can be traced back through the House of Wettin, of which all her male-line ancestors have been members.

The line diverges from the British royal line at Victoria's husband, Prince Albert, and from then on follows his paternal ancestors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Amelia_Windsor

Back
Top Bottom