Earl and Countess of St. Andrews and Family News 1: September 2003-

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I never saids they were penniless. I said they aren't as wealthy as ppl like to state.

And the fact that Michael has had to shell out massive amounts of his capital on that house doesn't make me think he's got a lot of money. It makes me think the otherwise. Anyone with money in stocks knows you never eat into your capital, you hold out for the interest to build up. And since Michael's own friends have gone to magazines pleading his need for financial assistance (Tatler), it makes me think he needs assistance from the Queen (I wouldn't allow my pals to go to an international magazine talking about how hard up I was).

The fact that ppl who research and study that family for either a living or a serious hobby have pointed out that they cannot be as wealthy as ppl like to believe carries more weight with me than someone on this board who simply doubts the Windsors' honesty. I believe the Queen when she said to Parliament that estimates where grossly over-estimated, simply because if she lied, it would have come out by now. And I believe the experts who have dug around her finances for decades now, before I believe someone who cannot use common to sense to recognise that rich ppl don't sell their country homes.

Where did I say that the Queen's children had? The Kents (the duke and duchess) have given up several country estates. The Gloucesters have moved out of theirs, but apparently haven't sold it (it's currently inhabited by some antiques firm).

How do you know that I don't research and study the family for either a living or a serious hobby Kelly? How do you know that I don't have first hand knowledge of the people we are discussing?

I have not quoted ppl who write about royals for a living. I have quoted ppl who write about money for a living.

I'm astonished that there were know answers, opinions, gossip to this question.

Is there something to hide, perhaps???

He's very private and no one knows what's going on in his private life. He was seen at a party in 2002 standing in the vicinity of a blonde -- but that was a long time ago and doesn't mean they were together.

Hi

What ara the rumors about Lord Nicholas Windsor? I keep hearing things and I dont know what to bielive! :huh:

I read somewhere that, like his parents, Lord Downpatrick been received into the Roman Catholic church, so he's not in the line of succession any more.

Last edited:
I thought it was only his mother who was Catholic? His father lost his place in the succession because he married a catholic.

I think the Earl of St Andrews also converted, as did Lord Nicholas. I'll have a look and see if I can find any documentation. I don't think I'm misremembering, though.

Edited to add:
Here's the page from the royal family's official site:

http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/page389.asp

After the Duke of Kent come the Earl of St Anrews's two daughters and then Lady Helen, so the Earl of St Andrews, Baron Downpatrick, and Lord Nicholas are missing. I thought the Earl had converted to Catholicism as well as marrying a Catholic, but it may just have been Lord Nicholas who converted among the Duke's children.

Last edited:
Well, he would certainly have been excluded because of that; I just thought that at some point he'd followed suit. Maybe it was because Lord Nicholas and Lord Downpatrick converted that I thought the Earl was in there too.

I wonder if the daughters will convert when they get older. Usually Catholic parents are expected to raise their children Catholic even if they have a non-Catholic spouse, and that seems to have been what happened with the son.

This was the issue with Prince Michael. The Pope refused to allow a church wedding because P Michael couldn't give an undertaking that his children would be raised as catholics. Both of his children remain Anglicans.

George is still Anglican. The children were raised Anglicans, but Edward made the personal choice to convert. Sylvana is not considered a devout Catholic, so the Vatican rule about Catholic kids probably didn't come into play. Most press believe Katharine, his grandmother, was the Catholic influence inspiring him to convert.

Does one lose the right to the dukedom when marrying/becoming a catholic? Or is it limited to losing rights in succesion?

He doesn't lose the right to the Dukedom as a result of becoming Catholic, just to inclusion in the line of succession. If he were HRH, he wouldn't lose that either, just as Prince Michael didn't.

auntie said:
Does one lose the right to the dukedom when marrying/becoming a catholic? Or is it limited to losing rights in succesion?

No, but he loses his place in the line of succession automatically. The dukedom will continue to pass down as long as there is a male in his line (or a new remainder is issued for a female). Otherwise, the Dukedom returns to the Crown after the death of the last eligible male descendant of HRH Prince George.

Edward Edmund Maximilian George Windsor, Baron Downpatrick (b. 1988), is the only son of George, Earl of St. Andrews and his wife, Sylvana, Countess of St. Andrews (née Palma Tomaselli). His father is the elder son to HRH Edward, Duke of Kent and his wife Katharine, Duchess of Kent. Lord Downpatrick is heir after his father to the Dukedom of Kent. He converted to Catholicism and therefore, was struck from the British succession, following the examples of his grandmother, the Duchess of Kent, and his uncle Lord Nicholas Windsor. Since his mother is a Roman Catholic, his father was struck from the succession upon marrying her. He has two younger sisters: Lady Marina-Charlotte Windsor, and Lady Amelia Windsor.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Windsor%2C_Lord_Downpatrick"

He will in time after the death of his grandfather and father be known as His Grace, The Duke of Kent, Earl of St. Andrews, Baron Downpatrick.

He does not lose his right to the duchy title of Kent even though he is now a Catholic.

No, he doesn't, but the Kent dukedom is one of the traditional royal dukedoms, and I'm not sure that it's going to be allowed to carry on in the present bloodline for ever.

Elspeth said:
No, he doesn't, but the Kent dukedom is one of the traditional royal dukedoms, and I'm not sure that it's going to be allowed to carry on in the present bloodline for ever.

Actually, he will be.

The dukedom will not revert back. Just as Alexander Windsor, Earl of Ulster, will one day be His Grace, the Duke of Gloucester.

It carries on till the male line bloodline dies out.

Has any1 got ane pics of Edward?.. i saw 1 pic a long time ago n hes reli hott..ill try to see if i can find it

Elspeth said:
I think the Earl of St Andrews also converted, as did Lord Nicholas. I'll have a look and see if I can find any documentation. I don't think I'm misremembering, though.

Edited to add:
Here's the page from the royal family's official site:

http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/page389.asp

After the Duke of Kent come the Earl of St Anrews's two daughters and then Lady Helen, so the Earl of St Andrews, Baron Downpatrick, and Lord Nicholas are missing. I thought the Earl had converted to Catholicism as well as marrying a Catholic, but it may just have been Lord Nicholas who converted among the Duke's children.

Have any of them made any comments as to why they converted? I have read Diana's late mother Frances converted to Catholicism as well and I am curious to know why.

lady_windsor said:
Has any1 got ane pics of Edward?.. i saw 1 pic a long time ago n hes reli hott..ill try to see if i can find it

Dude-ettes, I have not seen a pic of Downpatrick since Diana's funeral. He was like 9 years old or something last I saw him on TV and in pics at the funeral for Diana, Princess of Wales.

He's at Eton now.
He went Catholic like his mom, and is definitely at Eton.
I'd love to see new pics of him.

Last edited by a moderator:
CasiraghiTrio said:
Dude-ettes, I have not seen a pic of Downpatrick since Diana's funeral. He was like 9 years old or something last I saw him on TV and in pics at the funeral for Diana, Princess of Wales.

He's at Eton now, though. Even though he went Catholic like his mom. He is definitely at Eton.
I'd love to see new pics of him.

Is one not permitted to go to Eton if one is Catholic?

Queen Mary I said:
Is one not permitted to go to Eton if one is Catholic?
dunno ..i tink eton might be a school for mixed christian religions because when i went to a boarding school, we aslo had some catholic people

No, no. Warren the mod sent me a PM about this... sorry to confuse you. Eton allows all walks of life (Islam, catholic, protestant, Jewish... whatever). All I meant was that Eton is officially a Church of England (meaning Anglican) school. I expected Downpatrick to go to an officially Catholic school, since his religion seems important to him. Why else would he make such a point to be Catholic even though he loses his place in the succession? So I was just surprised he chose Eton, or his parents chose it, but maybe Eton has a program that interests him more than any other academic course. If he is into science, for example, Eton has a spectacular science department. They have amazing facilities for the sciences. I understand they are very well-known especially for their science education.

Going to Eton seems to be a tradition in the family, so his name was probably down for Eton from the time he was born.

Back
Top Bottom