Earl and Countess of St. Andrews and Family News 1: September 2003-

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lady Amelia attended the opening of the Veuve Clicquot SOLAIRE CULTURE exhibition to celebrate the 250-year anniversary of the Champagne House in Piccadilly Circus this evening, May 11:

** Pic **

Lady Amelia attended the launch of the Breitling Boutique & Café & Top Time Pop Up Garage at Battersea Power Station on May 31:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Lady Amelia attended the launch of Manzi's Soho, in partnership with Choose Love, in London on July 6:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Last edited:
Yesterday, July 19, Lady Amelia attended the launch of the book "The List" by Yomi Adegoke in London:

** gettyimages gallery ** dailymail article **

On July 20 she attended a special screening of "Barbie" in London:

** Pic **

Last edited:
Lady Amelia attended the launch of Omnes X Naomie Harris Sustainable Red Carpet Collection in London on August 31:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Lady Amelia attended the reopening of Space NK's Duke of York store in London today, September 20:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Lady Amelia attended the launch of SKYE by BRORA in Sloane Square in London on September 28:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Yesterday, October 11, Lady Amelia Windsor attended the launch dinner for the MISSOMA AW23 Glamour Collection in London:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Lady Amelia attended the launch of the debut Camille Charriere X Stripe & Stare collection in London today, October 26:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Yesterday, November 1, Lady Amelia attended the opening of the Sezane Flagship store in London:

** Pic **

And the Rachel Bakewell x HERD collection launch also in London:

** Pic **

Today, November 8, Lady Amelia attended a breakfast hosted by Donna Air and Marici London:

** Pic **

And she attended the Luca Faloni flagship store opening:

** Pic **

Lady Amelia attended the launch of "Jo Malone London Presents Glide" at Battersea Power Station today, November 15:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Lady Amelia attended the Kama Ayurveda dinner to celebrate the brand's UK launch in London yesterday, November 16:

** Pic **

Lady Amelia attended a VIP screening of "The Color Purple" at the Regent Street Cinema in London this evening, November 20:

** Pic **

Lady Amelia attended the world premiere of "Wonka" at The Royal Festival Hall this evening, November 28:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Lady Amelia attended "The Perfect Christmas" presented by Della Vite with Katie Grand & Poppy Delevingne in London yesterday, December 13:

** Pic **

Lady Amelia Windsor attended the Bora Aksu show during London Fashion Week today, February 16:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

I think the Earl of St Andrews also converted, as did Lord Nicholas. I'll have a look and see if I can find any documentation. I don't think I'm misremembering, though.

Edited to add:
Here's the page from the royal family's official site:

http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/page389.asp

After the Duke of Kent come the Earl of St Anrews's two daughters and then Lady Helen, so the Earl of St Andrews, Baron Downpatrick, and Lord Nicholas are missing. I thought the Earl had converted to Catholicism as well as marrying a Catholic, but it may just have been Lord Nicholas who converted among the Duke's children.

While some media reports claim that the Earl of St Andrews' child(ren) "converted" to Catholicism at age 14 or thereabouts, other media reports state that they underwent the Catholic ceremony of confirmation at that age (implying they were already Catholic). For example, a Times article from 2003 stated:

The young lord, grandson of the current Duke and Duchess of Kent and 22nd in line to the throne, will be confirmed as a Roman Catholic in a ceremony at Eton College Chapel. The teenager has been worshipping with fellow Roman Catholic pupils since he went to the school last year.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/people-by-andrew-pierce-lw6x8vrw52c

I believe 14 is a normal age for Catholic confirmation, judging from other Catholic royals. I find it more likely that the confirmation reports are correct, and that the Earl and (Catholic) Countess of St Andrews simply raised their children as Catholics from birth with the confirmation ceremony at the usual age. The scenario of the children being raised Protestant and all happening to "convert" to Catholicism at the same age that Catholics are confirmed seems less believable.

The royal website has also listed Lord Nicholas Windsor's children in the line of succession in the past despite their being raised Catholic, so its accuracy is questionable.

While some media reports claim that the Earl of St Andrews' child(ren) "converted" to Catholicism at age 14 or thereabouts, other media reports state that they underwent the Catholic ceremony of confirmation at that age (implying they were already Catholic). For example, a Times article from 2003 stated:

The young lord, grandson of the current Duke and Duchess of Kent and 22nd in line to the throne, will be confirmed as a Roman Catholic in a ceremony at Eton College Chapel. The teenager has been worshipping with fellow Roman Catholic pupils since he went to the school last year.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/people-by-andrew-pierce-lw6x8vrw52c

I believe 14 is a normal age for Catholic confirmation, judging from other Catholic royals. I find it more likely that the confirmation reports are correct, and that the Earl and (Catholic) Countess of St Andrews simply raised their children as Catholics from birth with the confirmation ceremony at the usual age. The scenario of the children being raised Protestant and all happening to "convert" to Catholicism at the same age that Catholics are confirmed seems less believable.

The royal website has also listed Lord Nicholas Windsor's children in the line of succession in the past despite their being raised Catholic, so its accuracy is questionable.

I was confirmed at 7, not long after my first communion.

I was confirmed at 7, not long after my first communion.

Both my boys had their First Communion and Confirmation at the same time, at age 10, which was done through their school. I though Eton was Church of England? Do they have a Catholic chapel too?

According to the Eton website:

As befits a school which produced, in the Reformation, both Protestant martyrs and a Catholic saint, Roman Catholics have their own Chaplain who offers Mass on Sundays and on several weekday evenings. The Sacrament of Reconciliation is regularly available, and Confirmation is administered once a year. Roman Catholic boys take part in all daily school services of a non-sacramental nature.

Instruction in the Jewish, Islamic, Buddhist, Hindu and Sikh faiths is given during the time of Sunday Chapel by the Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu and Sikh Tutors.

Lady Amelia attended the Burberry Winter 2024 show during London Fashion Week today, February 19:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Lady Amelia attended the UK Series Global Premiere of "The Gentlemen" at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane on March 5:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Back
Top Bottom