Earl and Countess of Snowden To Divorce: February 18, 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This has been a crazy few months for this family. More sad news.

Another divorce in the Royal Family so soon after Peter and Autumn Philips,very sad for the family and another one I never saw coming.

I have noticed [amongst my own friends and family] that Divorce seems almost an hereditary condition..not invariably so [obv], but VERY often.. so i'm sorry for the Snowdon's but not [in the least] surprised.

Last edited:
Just heard this. They've been together for years. I certainly didn't see this coming, but we hear so little about them that it's hard to have any idea what's gone on. What a shame.

Bring on Beatrice and Edo's wedding - it's been one blow after another for the Queen this year, and it's only the middle of February.

I have noticed [amongst my own friends and family] that Divorce seems almost an hereditary condition..not invariably so [obv], but VERY often.. so i'm sorry for the Snowden;s but not [in the least] surprised

It is kind of sad, as the queen and Philip have a very long marriage.. (albeit I think one wehre they were wiling to give each other a lot of space).. and 3 of their 4 children were divorced. But Margo's marriage was nto very successful yet it seemed that her kids had boht made good lasting marriages.

Just heard this. They've been together for years. I certainly didn't see this coming, but we hear so little about them that it's hard to have any idea what's gone on. What a shame.

Bring on Beatrice and Edo's wedding - it's been one blow after another for the Queen this year, and it's only the middle of February.

According to some sources the couple had been living separately for some time. I wonder whether they tried/decided to stay together while the children were still around and now Margarita is turning 18 in a few months and off to college soon are calling it quits.

I'm not actually surprised. A number of years ago he was being blackmailed by two men who claimed to have a video of him engaging in certain 'activities' with other men. The blackmailers were, I think, sent to prison but ever since then I've been suspicious that their marraige may have been one of convenience for the sake of their children.

I'm not too surprised by this, from casual observation it seemed to me that David and Serena usually arrived at events separately. It made me wonder if they were living in different places.

Now four out of six of KG and QEQM's six grandchildren have divorced. That doesn't bode well for DoE and QE's grandchildren going foreword. I think that generation will be >50% on divorces too.

The only thing that strikes me as odd is that they didn't wait another few months until their daughter graduated for the announcement. Maybe one or both is ready to date and they don't want to be falsely accused of cheating in case the media catches them.

I'm not actually surprised. A number of years ago he was being blackmailed by two men who claimed to have a video of him engaging in certain 'activities' with other men. The blackmailers were, I think, sent to prison but ever since then I've been suspicious that their marraige may have been one of convenience for the sake of their children.

There was no need for that comment.

There was no need for that comment.

It's a relevant comment as the story is not made up. Two men were in fact arrested and I think jailed for attempting to blackmail him over such a tape.

I've never followed them that much so I didn't know about that. wow

The only thing that strikes me as odd is that they didn't wait another few months until their daughter graduated for the announcement.

Yes, she must be doing A-levels in May and June. It's an incredibly stressful time - all that exam pressure, and, if she hopes to go to university, the need to get good enough grades. There's never a good time for family upheaval, but that's a really bad time ... but who knows why they've decided to make the break now?

On a different note, people/media can stop pointing to the Peter and Autumn's absence at BP Christmas party and Christmas Sandringham as proof that a divorce announcement was imminent since the Snowdons attended both.

I've never followed them that much so I didn't know about that. wow

Wasn’t there a super-injunction making it illegal to publish his identity? Either way it doesn’t mean it was a marriage of convince just because someone tried blackmail, and even if it was it doesn’t mean they weren’t in love and they do have a family of their own.

Sad another divorce in the RF, that said I’m never a believer in people staying together for the children. Hopefully it will all be amicable

Last edited:
According to some sources the couple had been living separately for some time. I wonder whether they tried/decided to stay together while the children were still around and now Margarita is turning 18 in a few months and off to college soon are calling it quits.

The cynic in me was also thinking that, bit of a coincidence that they announce their divorce just before there youngest is about to finish school. Their marriage could have been in trouble for sometime, like Autumn and Peter's but we do not know what goes on behind closed doors.

Very sad for the Queen having another divorce in the family, I imagine she is still upset about Peter and Autumn.

All but one of Queen Mother's grandsons are now divorced.

Given the age if their children (both almost over 18) I would suspect they would have talked about the announcement with them before hand and it seems they have been separated for a while.

Last edited:
Such sad news.

Very sad for the Queen having another divorce in the family, I imagine she is still upset about Peter and Autumn.

All but one of Queen Mother's grandsons are now divorced.

Why is it sad for The Queen for her nephew and grandson to be happy in their lives? Clearly they weren’t happy married, so they’re doing what is in the interest of all parties and divorcing. I imagine both David & Serena and Autumn & Peter will be happier now, and the resulting happiness may be at the benefit to the children.

Last time I checked Charles had remarried. So all but one of the QMs grandsons has been through a divorce.

Perhaps they've lived apart for 2 years, in which case they can obtain a divorce now without assigning any blame to either party.

Divorce after such many years.
When I was young it was told, if a Wedding is still successful after 7 years it is for life!

In the Netherlands we always say that in a relationship you first have seven good years and then seven bad ones.

Divorce after such many years.
When I was young it was told, if a Wedding is still successful after 7 years it is for life!

The seven year itch...

I think with modern times, with divorce less stigmatized, couples are getting itchier regardless of how long they've been married.

I have noticed [amongst my own friends and family] that Divorce seems almost an hereditary condition..not invariably so [obv], but VERY often.. so i'm sorry for the Snowdon's but not [in the least] surprised.

Or a class condition. The class these people come from have high divorce rates. Money being no issue is one reason.

I read on Twitter (a well-known Royal watcher) that they'd been living apart for at least 2 years..... still, sad.

Or a class condition. The class these people come from have high divorce rates. Money being no issue is one reason.

Doubt if it is any higher than in other classes. Rich people get divorced, middle class people get divorced and so do poorer people.

Back
Top Bottom