Earl and Countess of Snowden To Divorce: February 18, 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't see any reason they should have waited for the daughter to graduate. I'm sure all the kids new about their parents separation.

Doubt if it is any higher than in other classes. Rich people get divorced, middle class people get divorced and so do poorer people.

Statistics would tell a different story. But then statistics lie too. Either ends of a spectrum are more similar, ar than those in the middle. So upper middle class and upper class people as well as very poor families have higher levels of separation. Those in the middle is actually less. London, given the careers of many, would be higher than the regions. Marriages within two years of a birth of a child. Again higher. There are a number of risk factors like anything.

*jaw drop*
What in the world is going on??? After 25 years of marriage??? :sad:

Why is it sad for The Queen for her nephew and grandson to be happy in their lives? Clearly they weren’t happy married, so they’re doing what is in the interest of all parties and divorcing. I imagine both David & Serena and Autumn & Peter will be happier now, and the resulting happiness may be at the benefit to the children.

Last time I checked Charles had remarried. So all but one of the QMs grandsons has been through a divorce.

Yes they may be happier and probably is for the best but its still sad to see a breakdown of a marriage, royal or not, without wanting to sound mushy, all that love gone that was there on their wedding day.

Well it is very possible they have been separated for a while. It is all about optics. But interesting they coming forward now. Maybe they just had enough.

Staying in a marriage solely for kids never works out.

I guess Marlene Eilers' strong hint is the wedding ring worn around the neck instead on his finger.

Malicious rumours so many years ago without evidence - I can't believe that's the reason. It's sad but if a marriage is dead, then it's time to move on. I wish them all the best. I've always liked the Linleys and Chattos, they didn't push themselves into the limelight.

A divorce is sad, yes, but there are much worse things. I hope the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh don't feel that everything is crashing down around them. Because that's not true.

Well it is very possible they have been separated for a while. It is all about optics. But interesting they coming forward now. Maybe they just had enough.

Staying in a marriage solely for kids never works out.

The press were probably going to release it so they got in there first.

Looking back at their wedding, Serena seemed so young. I believe she was 23 at the time -- not as young as Diana at her marriage, but still just starting out in life. I'm not entirely surprised at this turn of events.

I seem to recall reading at the time of their wedding that there was an incident at their rehearsal. It seemed that Serena was overwhelmed and failed to turn up at the rehearsal, and David had to track her down. I wonder now if that she had "cold feet." Anyway, they went through with the wedding and the matter was forgotten.

Looking back at their wedding, Serena seemed so young. I believe she was 23 at the time -- not as young as Diana at her marriage, but still just starting out in life. I'm not entirely surprised at this turn of events.

I seem to recall reading at the time of their wedding that there was an incident at their rehearsal. It seemed that Serena was overwhelmed and failed to turn up at the rehearsal, and David had to track her down. I wonder now if that she had "cold feet." Anyway, they went through with the wedding and the matter was forgotten.

I am not sure we can treat everything with Mary of Scots moniker. My end was in my beginning. But thee most loving and harmonious marriage can dissolve with time. Some marriages that require constant realignment and TLC last. Certainly a 'young marrkage' is again a risk factor if only because of unformed characters and unfulfilled ambitions and sacrifice but people change and they want different things. And sometimes people cling on and others they decide to try new pastures.

Another bad surprise ! Such a pity…. Two divorces the same Week !

Why is it sad for The Queen for her nephew and grandson to be happy in their lives? Clearly they weren’t happy married, so they’re doing what is in the interest of all parties and divorcing. I imagine both David & Serena and Autumn & Peter will be happier now, and the resulting happiness may be at the benefit to the children.

Because they made a vow before God and The Queen is a practising Christian.

The only people it’s sad for are the couple and theirs kids. If it is. It is their family and their feelings. The queen I assume would be upset if her nephew was distraught by the divorce but upset for his pain not by divorce. Her being a Christian had nothing to do with anyone’s marriage but her own.

To be honest I thought they had been separate a few years, maybe just read the rumours, so wasn’t shocked by news.

Over twenty years of marriage is long but some marriages last longer before divorce. Or they decided to wait until their kids were grown up. Their daughter will be 18 this year and off to university. Less shock for the kids.

I saw some suggest why Peter she autumn couldn’t just wait till kids were grown up to divorce. May or may not just be case here.

Not surprised by this one like I was with Peter and Autumn; haven't really seen D&S together for some time, however it's very sad for all concerned. When someone in anyone's family is sad, it does affect the rest of the family, that they are closest to. I've never known anyone happy about a divorce, but that's just my experience.

The only people it’s sad for are the couple and theirs kids. If it is. It is their family and their feelings. The queen I assume would be upset if her nephew was distraught by the divorce but upset for his pain not by divorce. Her being a Christian had nothing to do with anyone’s marriage but her own

What a presumptuous thing to say.

I suspect the Queen does feel sad about the breakup. Whether it's for religious reasons or simply the fact that two people who were once in love are no longer happy together doesn't really matter.

We don't get to tell her how she should feel about a divorce, or how anyone else should feel about it either.

When I first saw the headlines - royals to divorce' I assumed it was the Snowdon's as there have been rumours for some time that they have been living totally separate lives and only appear together when forced, by the Queen, to do so.

Peter and Autumn were a surprise but this one isn't.

I am still expecting the possibility of another divorce yet - three announced in the past 6 or so months (although the Gloucester divorce was actually nearly a year before it was announced).

What a presumptuous thing to say.

I suspect the Queen does feel sad about the breakup. Whether it's for religious reasons or simply the fact that two people who were once in love are no longer happy together doesn't really matter.

We don't get to tell her how she should feel about a divorce, or how anyone else should feel about it either.

And we don’t get presume how she feels either as you seem to.

What I said was whose feelings matter in this divorce are those involved. The couple and their children. The feelings of the queen as a Christian or aunt really don’t matter. And no I think the queen is likely adult enough to understand divorce sometimes is best for all. And isn’t heart broken devistated or other words I have seen used.

The assumption the queen and her feelings should influence these two or Peter and Autumn are the presumptions I have issues with. The queen has a lot of influence but not on forcing marriage to continue.

But Margo's marriage was nto very successful yet it seemed that her kids had boht made good lasting marriages.

Don't know about that; there have been rumors about both couples on the verge of divorce for years.

Sometimes too, the best way to really love someone is to let them go in order to have a happy and fulfilling life for both parties involved.

Sometimes divorces happen seemingly overnight and the couple breaks up. Sometimes the growing apart of the partnership in marriage evolves so slowly that it does take time to realize that perhaps the best solution is to divorce. All couples are different and divorce for different reasons.

My first marriage ended at 20 years of marriage but in retrospect, it had started to break down years before we called it quits. Of course, no one likes to hear of a couple splitting up especially if they have children but those that are close to the couple are the ones that will be supportive and understanding as the couple go through the changes they need to make and move on with their lives.

Don't know about that; there have been rumors about both couples on the verge of divorce for years.

I have been hearing for close on 15 years now that Sarah and Daniel are living apart and only appear together for form's sake.

When I first saw the headlines - royals to divorce' I assumed it was the Snowdon's as there have been rumours for some time that they have been living totally separate lives and only appear together when forced, by the Queen, to do so.

I don't believe that for one second. They aren't working royals so aren't 'on the payroll'. The British public couldn't care less whether they are seen together or not and I doubt very much that most people even know who on earth they are. They'd have to be told it's Princess Margaret's son. Most of all, as they have no duty to the public, I can't imagine HMQ forcing them to do anything (even if she could) as all the evidence from interviews with those close to her confirm that she is kind & tolerant.

If they have appeared together for appearances sake, it will have been for their children but for all we know, they don't mind attending special events together despite not being a couple for some time.

Another bad surprise ! Such a pity…. Two divorces the same Week !

I know that these are two different couples and that the breakdown of their respective marriages is totally unconnected, but for two cousins (OK, cousins once removed) to announce the end of their marriages within days of each other is quite unusual. The Queen and Prince Philip have lived through much worse, but they must be feeling that they're taking a battering this year. Hopefully nothing else will go wrong and they'll be able to enjoy Beatrice's wedding and feel that things are looking up!

There were separated for quite some time and obviously they were'nt happy together anymore (some stories circulated like 10 years ago)
The timing is bad, but i guess the decision has to me made.

Last edited:
I have been hearing for close on 15 years now that Sarah and Daniel are living apart and only appear together for form's sake.

Yes. And similar rumors about Anne and Tim. Prince and Princess Michael are another couple that are talked about as being a couple in name only. Now that the divorce floodgates are open, we'll see if any others join in. If not, then the rumors were probably exaggerated a bit, and the couples are still comfortable with each other.

Last edited:
I know that these are two different couples and that the breakdown of their respective marriages is totally unconnected, but for two cousins (OK, cousins once removed) to announce the end of their marriages within days of each other is quite unusual. The Queen and Prince Philip have lived through much worse, but they must be feeling that they're taking a battering this year. Hopefully nothing else will go wrong and they'll be able to enjoy Beatrice's wedding and feel that things are looking up!

It does feel a bit tactless of the 2 couples... would have thought that they could have talked and relaesed their stories later on, maybe in the summer.. and a month or 2 apart. I am sure that the queen while accepting that they have chosen to divorce, isn't happy about it. She is the Queen, the matrairch and head of the C of E. ANd divorces are not good things... not matter how hard people try to minimise the pain.

Let only the bride and groom not think that this is a bad omen for them!

It does feel a bit tactless of the 2 couples... would have thought that they could have talked and relaesed their stories later on, maybe in the summer.. and a month or 2 apart. I am sure that the queen while accepting that they have chosen to divorce, isn't happy about it. She is the Queen, the matrairch and head of the C of E. ANd divorces are not good things... not matter how hard people try to minimise the pain.

I don’t know if media knew (or cared) about the Snowdons but media broke the Phillips story. It got less press just confirming it, than if they’d played coy and let stories run for months. And apparently the Queen has known about Peter and Autumn’s decision since last fall.

I’m sure the Queen is saddened. She has been married for 70+ years. She probably wishes her family could experience that as well.

Last edited:
I don’t know if media knew (or cared) about the Snowdons but media broke the Phillips story. It got less press just confirming it, than if they’d played coy and let stories run for months.

I’m sure the Queen is saddened. She has been married for 70+ years. She probably wishes her family could experience that as well.

to be honest, it seems as if some of the more obscure royal couples are leading separate lives but not divorcing.. in the "old fashioned " upper class way.

to be honest, it seems as if some of the more obscure royal couples are leading separate lives but not divorcing.. in the "old fashioned " upper class way.

Seems obvious ...

Back
Top Bottom