The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-17-2020, 04:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

Given the age if their children (both almost over 18) I would suspect they would have talked about the announcement with them before hand and it seems they have been separated for a while.

Old 02-17-2020, 04:43 PM
Serene Highness

Such sad news.

Old 02-17-2020, 04:44 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtagoLass View Post

Very sad for the Queen having another divorce in the family, I imagine she is still upset about Peter and Autumn.

All but one of Queen Mother's grandsons are now divorced.

Why is it sad for The Queen for her nephew and grandson to be happy in their lives? Clearly they weren’t happy married, so they’re doing what is in the interest of all parties and divorcing. I imagine both David & Serena and Autumn & Peter will be happier now, and the resulting happiness may be at the benefit to the children.

Last time I checked Charles had remarried. So all but one of the QMs grandsons has been through a divorce.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:45 PM
Courtier

Perhaps they've lived apart for 2 years, in which case they can obtain a divorce now without assigning any blame to either party.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Divorce after such many years.
When I was young it was told, if a Wedding is still successful after 7 years it is for life!
Old 02-17-2020, 05:46 PM
Serene Highness

In the Netherlands we always say that in a relationship you first have seven good years and then seven bad ones.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:48 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Divorce after such many years.
When I was young it was told, if a Wedding is still successful after 7 years it is for life!
The seven year itch...

I think with modern times, with divorce less stigmatized, couples are getting itchier regardless of how long they've been married.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
I have noticed [amongst my own friends and family] that Divorce seems almost an hereditary condition..not invariably so [obv], but VERY often.. so i'm sorry for the Snowdon's but not [in the least] surprised.
Or a class condition. The class these people come from have high divorce rates. Money being no issue is one reason.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:03 PM
Courtier

I read on Twitter (a well-known Royal watcher) that they'd been living apart for at least 2 years..... still, sad.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
Or a class condition. The class these people come from have high divorce rates. Money being no issue is one reason.
Doubt if it is any higher than in other classes. Rich people get divorced, middle class people get divorced and so do poorer people.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:12 PM
Royal Highness

I don't see any reason they should have waited for the daughter to graduate. I'm sure all the kids new about their parents separation.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Doubt if it is any higher than in other classes. Rich people get divorced, middle class people get divorced and so do poorer people.
Statistics would tell a different story. But then statistics lie too. Either ends of a spectrum are more similar, ar than those in the middle. So upper middle class and upper class people as well as very poor families have higher levels of separation. Those in the middle is actually less. London, given the careers of many, would be higher than the regions. Marriages within two years of a birth of a child. Again higher. There are a number of risk factors like anything.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:36 PM
Serene Highness

*jaw drop*
What in the world is going on??? After 25 years of marriage???
Old 02-17-2020, 06:36 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Why is it sad for The Queen for her nephew and grandson to be happy in their lives? Clearly they weren’t happy married, so they’re doing what is in the interest of all parties and divorcing. I imagine both David & Serena and Autumn & Peter will be happier now, and the resulting happiness may be at the benefit to the children.

Last time I checked Charles had remarried. So all but one of the QMs grandsons has been through a divorce.
Yes they may be happier and probably is for the best but its still sad to see a breakdown of a marriage, royal or not, without wanting to sound mushy, all that love gone that was there on their wedding day.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well it is very possible they have been separated for a while. It is all about optics. But interesting they coming forward now. Maybe they just had enough.

Staying in a marriage solely for kids never works out.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:43 PM

I guess Marlene Eilers' strong hint is the wedding ring worn around the neck instead on his finger.

Malicious rumours so many years ago without evidence - I can't believe that's the reason. It's sad but if a marriage is dead, then it's time to move on. I wish them all the best. I've always liked the Linleys and Chattos, they didn't push themselves into the limelight.

A divorce is sad, yes, but there are much worse things. I hope the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh don't feel that everything is crashing down around them. Because that's not true.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Well it is very possible they have been separated for a while. It is all about optics. But interesting they coming forward now. Maybe they just had enough.

Staying in a marriage solely for kids never works out.
The press were probably going to release it so they got in there first.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:47 PM
Courtier

Looking back at their wedding, Serena seemed so young. I believe she was 23 at the time -- not as young as Diana at her marriage, but still just starting out in life. I'm not entirely surprised at this turn of events.

I seem to recall reading at the time of their wedding that there was an incident at their rehearsal. It seemed that Serena was overwhelmed and failed to turn up at the rehearsal, and David had to track her down. I wonder now if that she had "cold feet." Anyway, they went through with the wedding and the matter was forgotten.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:52 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thena View Post
Looking back at their wedding, Serena seemed so young. I believe she was 23 at the time -- not as young as Diana at her marriage, but still just starting out in life. I'm not entirely surprised at this turn of events.

I seem to recall reading at the time of their wedding that there was an incident at their rehearsal. It seemed that Serena was overwhelmed and failed to turn up at the rehearsal, and David had to track her down. I wonder now if that she had "cold feet." Anyway, they went through with the wedding and the matter was forgotten.
I am not sure we can treat everything with Mary of Scots moniker. My end was in my beginning. But thee most loving and harmonious marriage can dissolve with time. Some marriages that require constant realignment and TLC last. Certainly a 'young marrkage' is again a risk factor if only because of unformed characters and unfulfilled ambitions and sacrifice but people change and they want different things. And sometimes people cling on and others they decide to try new pastures.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Another bad surprise ! Such a pity…. Two divorces the same Week !