Duties, Roles and Royal Training of the Princes

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JOY!

Gentry
City
Columbus
Country
United States
I was wondering what some people's opinions are, on the boys doing more royal duties? I would hope after Sandhurst
William would start more royal duties. It'd be nice to see William and Harry doing some together. ;)

I think the boys, should be doing more royal duties. Expecially William. As you stated I would hope william would start
more after Sandhurst but, I'm not sure if that will happen. William doesn't seem to interested in royal duties to me. Harry will probably end up doing more than him. The spectrum of royal duties for the boys is a bit odd. Compared to the otherEuropean royal families. I often forget that they are the grand children of the monarch, and not the children of the monarch. Even though a lot of the current princes and princess (like Princess Madeline of Sweden) are around the same age of the two boys. Overall yes I agree, the boys should do more royal duties, not a ton, but just a few to help them prepare for the future ya know?

Both William and Harry are carrying out the Queen's plan, which is for them to finish their military service and then begin taking on official duties. Most likely, Harry will assume more responsibility for The Prince's Trust and his own charitable works, while William will be closely guided by The Queen and Prince Charles in taking on more representational duties in preparation for becoming King.

At the rate that things in the British royal family change, William will be in his late 50's before he takes any throne because it doesn't look like the Queen is ready to relinguist anything to Charles. I think both men (William and Harry), although they will always be boys to me, should develop their own lives. Hopefully they can learn the lessons from their father, I think it must be awful to have to wait your entire life to actually take on the role you have been trained for, not to really have a valid purpose. I think Charles has done a good job trying to define what his life stands for. I hope William and Harry are given the same chance. I especally think it will be a lot easier for Harry then William to take on the charities he wants.
I personally think that the Queens children should be the ones to do the royal duties since really no other grandchildren are required to take on royal duties. I don'tthink they should be pushed to perform until Charles is King.

Yes, I agree reba. But you never know when charles may take the throne, no ill will towards the queen but, tommorow is promised to no man. So maybe adding on a royal duty here and there for now. Then whe Charles becomes king (I've always thought he'd have a bit of a short reign but you never know) they would take on more, expecially william.

As the Queen and Prince Philip start to take on fewer duties because of their age, the younger generation will have to do more unless the plan is to decrease the scope of royal duties. William and Harry will have to start doing more sooner or later, but it wouldn't be fair to them or their army colleagues to start piling royal duties on them just at the moment.

If Harry does get his wish to be on active duty, it would be rather difficult for him to pop home and do a bit for charity.

If William chooses to be a real Officer and is also sent on active duty, the same would apply.

Prince William and Prince Harry will taking duty for his late mother's legacy work.

Prince William is current president of football but Harry been flew to Africa for second time visit kids Harry still kept Diana's work lots.

but the brothers will work lots for Diana and more proud of her

I guess it is kind of hard for William being at Sandhurst to do too many royal duties. He has 3 patronages now but can't really spend much time with them.
Harry seems to have gone the route of his father- he's still young, but set up something of his own (with another Prince)that he could be passionate about for his whole life!:) I don't know about how he'll balance that and the Blues and Royals though. I'll be interested to see what William does when he leaves Sandhurst

Your opinion of William and Harry

we seem to have this kind of thread for the other royals, so I thought it'd be cool to add one for the boys. :)

I'll reply later, as I now have to get off the computer and take a long nap :eek:

threads merged.

Rebafan81 said:
I think Charles has done a good job trying to define what his life stands for. I hope William and Harry are given the same chance. I especally think it will be a lot easier for Harry then William to take on the charities he wants.

In fact, I think Charles has done a marvelous job in raising both of these boys after Diana died. Perhaps Diana's beauty and love for her boys overshadowed Charles' love for his sons. Their appears to be genuine love and respect between the three of them and they are there for each other according to statements made from the three of them in the press. William also has made defensive statements of Harry's troubles and his father's charity work. You can see in their actions so far that the three seem to have sat down and discussed their life and future and how to prepare for endless years of both positive and negative media coverage of their both professional and private lives.

rebafan81 said:
I personally think that the Queens children should be the ones to do the royal duties since really no other grandchildren are required to take on royal duties. I don'tthink they should be pushed to perform until Charles is King.

That is so true. Even though Peter and Zara have no titles, they are still the Queen's grandchildren and free to live without royal duties. Then there is Viscount Linley and his sister, who are both without the pressures of performing those duties. Even though both of Charles' sons are immediate heirs to the throne after Charles', they also are young and deserve to make their life without having to do a lot of royal duties. They have a lot of pressure on them in completing military duties, finding future wives, creating charities or roles in charities, etc. Maybe two functions a year would be right number. Afterall, they are also involved behind the scenes in any celebrations of the Queen herself that requires their presence.

Having a job is extremely over-rated. I have one and I can avouch to that. ;) :)

If someone gave me an income where I could do whatever I wanted for the rest of my life, you can bet I would jump on it. I wonder if many people's anger at Kate not having a job is because they themselves have to work to make a living.

But William's love life is retold countless times in the stories of many privileged young couples across the world. They're young, have money, and are a bit directionless now, so their love life is predictable. William dates a girl he meets at school, they party together at trendy expensive nightspots, they break up, they go their separate ways for awhile, they get back together. This story has the chance to repeat itself with William many times and with many girlfriends.

I think it will be awhile before William is the actual King so he has a while to get settled. I wouldn't take anything he does now seriously. I read in an article recently that the twenties are the new teens so that is why a lot of twentysomethings (although not all) act like teenagers.

Last edited:
Having a job is extremely over-rated. I have one and I can avouch to that. ;) :)

If someone gave me an income where I could do whatever I wanted for the rest of my life, you can bet I would jump on it. I wonder if many people's anger at Kate not having a job is because they themselves have to work to make a living....
Hi, my first post after registering in the summer! :flowers:
… BOT, I don’t think that is the reason at all (public envy of her position). Probably moreso, many royal watcher's/publics impression of Kate stems from comparisons with young women who can be considered as equivalents to her (ie. working or developing careers when they really don’t need to because of family wealth, marriage,etc.,)
Examples: Ivanka Trump, seriously working within her fathers business … Holly Bransen, training as a doctor … Prince Joachim’s new French fiancé is in investment banking … Autumn Kelly, career in business management of some kind … Charlotte Casiraghi, interning at a British newspaper … Zara Phillips, elite level equestrian sportswoman … Kate ???

Kate Middleton showing no ambition isn’t doing herself any favours by doing very little by day and partying with a seemingly immature prince by night, she should be doing something constructive. The publicity that surrounds her as William’s girlfriend isn’t a valid excuse either.

At the same time, William is really not doing much for his own image. As a commissioned officer in the army, he can have a good time when off-duty but should not be over-drinking or making a fool of himself. He is representing the armed forces at all times and is a heir to the throne. And there is no reason why he (and Harry) can’t be deployed somewhere, if only to work inside the safety of the main base area that houses British soldiers, equipment, offices, etc.

If someone gave me an income where I could do whatever I wanted for the rest of my life, you can bet I would jump on it. I wonder if many people's anger at Kate not having a job is because they themselves have to work to make a living.

Well the rumors going around as to why she wants less pap attention on her is because they are making it seem like she does nothing but shop all day and take long holidays. So obviously it bothers Kate slightly...

I agree with you though...if I could just be famous for nothing and have endless cash at my disposal...that would be great...:lol: But eventually some people need meaning in their lives that can come with doing something...even if it is minimal.

The first thing they should both do is stop complaining so much about the attention...because no one cares to be sympathetic when they go to a club full of paps. They wanted to make a statement that they were together and wanted to be photographed. I know it looks desperate to admit that on their part but...it looks foolish to make a big show the day after about privacy.

I agree with you though...if I could just be famous for nothing and have endless cash at my disposal...that would be great...:lol: But eventually some people need meaning in their lives that can come with doing something...even if it is minimal.

Yes, that's true. I keep waiting for William to have a more meaningful role in the monarchy. Picking up a charity here and there is nice but it can't be the bread and butter of training for the throne. Its possible he is getting training in his future role in private but in that case, I think the Royal Family needs to do him a favor and make more of his training public to make the publicity he is getting more rounded.

I think Charles in his youth did go to nightclubs and hotspots quite a bit but he had very public duties which were not just showing up at some charity function so the parties weren't the source of all the news about him.

Yes, that's true. I keep waiting for William to have a more meaningful role in the monarchy. Picking up a charity here and there is nice but it can't be the bread and butter of training for the throne. Its possible he is getting training in his future role in private but in that case, I think the Royal Family needs to do him a favor and make more of his training public to make the publicity he is getting more rounded.

I think Charles in his youth did go to nightclubs and hotspots quite a bit but he had very public duties which were not just showing up at some charity function so the parties weren't the source of all the news about him.

If he set up his own foundation that stretched to various areas or focused on one like education that would probably be a good thing for him and his brother as well.

If I had a lot of money that's what I'd do...but to each his own...

If he set up his own foundation that stretched to various areas or focused on one like education that would probably be a good thing for him and his brother as well.

If I had a lot of money that's what I'd do...but to each his own...

I was thinking something more in the line of something that would prepare him for his future role as king.

Any celebrity can start a foundation or pick up a cause.At the very least, one doesn't need to be a royal to start a charity or a foundation.

It would be nice if William could do something that he being royal can uniquely do and that celebrities can't copy to set himself apart from the celebrity circuit.

Ysbel and others, I have to agree with many of your comments. I'm sure the monarchy does some wonderful things. However, it is about image and right now club stories and drunk looking pictures are what the public sees.

From the end of July until now, we saw two royal duties things and the Diana memorial. I'm sure he must have been doing military and/or monarchy related things as well since reports were he only had time off in August after finishing the training course. However, the articles in the papers (I know the source of the news has to be considered) mentioned parties and vacations where he was drunk. Then the first time we actually get pictures, he is coming out a club. Videos suggest he was belligerent and very drunk. Reports said that he left, returned a few minutes later to taunt photographers, and then complained when they reacted.

I feel like he is in an "apprenticeship." An apprentice learns by working with the master. Just as he did at the jamboree, I'd like to see him go with someone such as the Queen or Pr. Anne. He can see how they do it and the public sees him working. I’m sure it isn’t easy to appear before groups and know just what to do. I don't care that he goes to a party. It just needs to appear to be balanced with something else.

I think that might be Kate's problem as well. Last fall, articles said she took the jigsaw job because it was her dream job and/or William told her it didn't look good that she didn't work. Late summer, we heard she was down to only three days a week but wanted to quit to be a photographer, her new dream job. She joined the boat thing, did a Hello shoot for PR, and then dropped out of the race. During September there were many pictures of her shopping, etc suggesting she wasn’t working at all. None of this may not be a factual representation of her and she isn’t a member of the royal family, but people begin to wonder whether, should it actually come to marriage, she will be able to handle hard work.

From the end of July until now, we saw two royal duties things and the Diana memorial. I'm sure he must have been doing military and/or monarchy related things as well since reports were he only had time off in August after finishing the training course. However, the articles in the papers (I know the source of the news has to be considered) mentioned parties and vacations where he was drunk. Then the first time we actually get pictures, he is coming out a club. Videos suggest he was belligerent and very drunk. Reports said that he left, returned a few minutes later to taunt photographers, and then complained when they reacted.

From the end of July until now, the Queen herself has had no official duties! Her first ones are this week. Princess Anne had 3 weeks in August with no official duties and she is the royal with the highest amount of engagements. William is a fulltime army officer he has a job, the royal engagements he takes on he does in his 'spare' time, other army officers get to hang out and do whatever they want William does royal engagements.

His vacation in August was taken in Africa and in the Seycelles, both were private holidays with the media kept firmly at bay, whatever may have been written about him would have been some creative writing on the part of the newspapers desperate for stories.

The video footage of the night at the nightclub don't suggest at all that William was either belligerent or drunk. As Kate and he exited the photographers started to crowd around them, they were pushed and jostled and a police officer had to shield Kate from the crowd so she could get into the car. William can be heard clearly to say "let's just get into the car" more concerned than anything else considering the pushing crowd of photographers trying to get pictures. The car did return and that's when the paparazzi decided to follow, but it wasn't to taunt them. The newspaper The Times reported that William's driver had been caught in a one way road system that brought them round in a giant U-turn and so they ended up infront of the club again.

They've enjoyed a late holiday at Teapot Cottage? A holiday from what exactly? Thankyou for posting this, I'm glad you did. I do feel this is really getting quite out of hand with William and Kate. Holidays, nightclubs - God forbid they should ever have to sign on.

They've enjoyed a late holiday at Teapot Cottage? A holiday from what exactly? Thankyou for posting this, I'm glad you did. I do feel this is really getting quite out of hand with William and Kate. Holidays, nightclubs - God forbid they should ever have to sign on.

BeatrixFan, I'm confused about some of the things you've said with regards to Prince William. I just checked recently, and Prince William is still in the Army, as is Prince Harry. Prince William is stationed at Windsor. I don't know where Prince Harry is stationed at this time, but both princes receive a salary from the military since they are both Active Duty soldiers and officers, and of course they have their own inheritances.
Neither prince is being funded or supported by the Civil List, so I don't understand why you say Prince William does not have a job. As an active duty soldier he has a job, superior officers that he answers to, and duties to perform. I mean no offense by my statement, I am just confused as to why you say he isn't employed. He is a soldier in the Blues and Royals regiment, isn't that his employment?

BeatrixFan, I'm confused about some of the things you've said with regards to Prince William. I just checked recently, and Prince William is still in the Army, as is Prince Harry. Prince William is stationed at Windsor. I don't know where Prince Harry is stationed at this time, but both princes receive a salary from the military since they are both Active Duty soldiers and officers, and of course they have their own inheritances.
Neither prince is being funded or supported by the Civil List, so I don't understand why you say Prince William does not have a job. As an active duty soldier he has a job, superior officers that he answers to, and duties to perform. I mean no offense by my statement, I am just confused as to why you say he isn't employed. He is a soldier in the Blues and Royals regiment, isn't that his employment?

Good question. The last time I checked, getting drunk and making yourself look like a contestant in the 2007 Oliver Reed Wannabe Competition is part of army life then yes, he's employed. I honestly don't know whether they're in the army or not. If they still are, surely it's a waste of time when they can't fight anywhere and if they are recieving a salary, what on earth is it for?

As to the "Is William drowning his sorrows" question, I think he's been drowning them for a while, not just at the inquest. One thing that got me puzzled as I'm not a clubber is this story of Harry snorting whisky. What a waste of good juice. Honestly, the Windsors have been serving whisky at Balmoral for 90 years and Harry takes pouring it up his nose - what next? Princess Anne doing a trick with ping pong balls at the Henley Regatta?

I was thinking something more in the line of something that would prepare him for his future role as king.

Any celebrity can start a foundation or pick up a cause.At the very least, one doesn't need to be a royal to start a charity or a foundation.

It would be nice if William could do something that he being royal can uniquely do and that celebrities can't copy to set himself apart from the celebrity circuit.

Everything I've read about William leads me to believe that he wants to put off those sorts of duties for as long as he can...

Everything I've read about William leads me to believe that he wants to put off those sorts of duties for as long as he can...

That is a mistake. I think the Queen and Charles should get together to put together a plan for him. She is the monarch and William is a direct heir so she has the right to give him a path that he must follow. I think the plan would be less useful though if William is just given told to stop partying and making a fool of himself and do 'something' worthwhile. I think it needs to be spelled out for him.

Yes, they all are privileged young people but they are answerable to the Queen.

My remarks are not directed at any one person personally.

Prince William did not "ask" for privacy. They merely want the paparrazzi to adhere to the section of the PCC code which expressly prohibits being pursued after being asked to desist. I do not think it is unreasonable for the press to adhere to a code IT created.

In between the righteous indignation and law of the jungle philosophy, I don't understand why this is such a difficult concept to grasp.

Also, both William and Harry DO HAVE JOBS. They are in the military, doing their civic duty and serving their country. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe William has been living off of this salaray, his father's duckets, and since he turned 25 his inheritance from his mother. So by that reasoning no public person is supporting him YET and can basically shove their "I have a right to see William brush his teeth because I pay for his lifestyle." You pay for nothing yet. And Kate Middleton is a PRIVATE CITIZEN and again her lifestyle is her business. Not yours.

Finally both princes are young and odds on that Wiliam will not take the throne until he has lost all of his hair and is soft in his midsection. Plenty of time for clubbing, growing tired of clubbing, marrying, and settling down. I realize that MANY of the people shouting about William's behavior aren't even as old as he is and hence have no perception of age and time, so they have NO CLUE that the person you are at 25 is wholly different from the person you WILL BE at 45, 55, and 65. This past weekend I attended a high school class reunion. Let's just say it's been a few years since I graduated and everything changes in that span. Someone 21 or 25 or 35 for that matter has no idea. William still has plenty of time to grow into his future role.

Nevertheless, if something awful happens and William takes the throne earlier, I belive he has a good head on his shoulders and will buck up. Ditto for Kate if she is his choice for consort.

Last edited:
I think both William and Harry should have some serious events to attend sometimes! Maybe going to public schools, delivering prizes and scholarships, inaugurations of some Youth Institutions, maybe that will give them the responsabilty they need!!!

They were educated at public school, maybe thats where the seat of the problem with them lies. I agree with you though, they seriously need to get some Royal engagements under their belts but then again, how can anyone treat them Princes when they act no different to third-rate Big Brother rejects?

I have seen no problem with William's behavior. So what he likes to go to clubs and have a few. Who doesn't at 25.

Their royal engagements are serving their country in the military for now. Comparable to showing up for a few hours, shaking hands, and cutting ribbon. They both have the rest of their lives for that. They should be allowed to enjoy their youth now, because their lives will not be their own for much longer.

Last edited:
right. he will grow out of it, these are his wild years and they will pass soon enough (and they are not allowed to be as wild as those of Harry as it is)

I have seen no problem with William's behavior. So what he likes to go to clubs and have a few. Who doesn't at 25.

Their royal engagements are serving their country in the military for now. Comparable to showing up for a few hours, shaking hands, and cutting ribbon. They both have the rest of their lives for that. They should be allowed to enjoy their youth now, because their lives will not be their own for much longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom