Death of Gerald Grosvenor, 6th Duke of Westminster: August 9, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rudolph

Majesty
City
Country
Canada
Last edited:
Roya Nikkhah ‏@RoyaNikkhah
Buckingham Palace says the Queen has sent a private message of condolence to the family of the late Duke of Westminster, who died today

RIP, and sympathy to those that loved him, they must be in deep shock at his very sudden demise..

Condolences to the family.
Sudden? So he was not ill?

I know the Cambridge's must be in shock too. I think it was the late Duke's private plane the Cambridge's used to take on vacation. They must've just talked to him.

The 6th Duke of Westminster's demise is untimely. He was relatively young.

The Duke was Colonel-in-Chief of The Royal Westminster Regiment in British Columbia.

I did my reserve military training with the regiment. The Duke was a great benefactor of the Canadian Army. He will be missed.

Wow, really shocked by the news. Condolences to his wife and kids :flowers:

Can we expect most of the BRF to be at the funeral?

LaRae

The Queen normally doesn't attend funerals. I would think William, Kate, Charles maybe Camilla as a minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Yes dman, it was his jet, not first time either. Will and Harry are close to his daughters growing up.

His family is so close with the royals. His widow is William's godmother while Diana was Edwina's. And of course George. The eldest is married to Edward Van Cutsem, a good friend to the Wales boys.

He served on the council of the duchy of Cornwall. And involved with the Canadian military.

Leaves behind his widow, 4 kids: Tamara (37), Edwina (35), Hugh (25) and Viola (24). 2 son in laws Edward Van Cutsem (Tamara) and Dan Snow (Edwin). And 4 grandkis, 3 grandsons: Jake VC (7) Louis VC (4) and Wolf Snow (2), and 1 granddaughter Zia Snow (5).

He also has 2 sisters. Leonora Anson, extra lady in waiting to Princess Ann. She is ex wife of Earl of Lichtfield (son of Princess Anne of Denmark, making him 1st cousins with QEII on her mother's side). Leonora's son is now Earl (ex died in 2005). Leonora never remarried so she is still Leonora, Countess Lichtfield.

His other sister Jane is the former Duchess of Roxburge, as ex wife of Guy Innes-Kerr. Her younger son Ted was housemates with Pippa and George Percy at university.

Last edited:
The son in law of the Duke is Dan Snow the TV historian not David.

Can we expect most of the BRF to be at the funeral?

LaRae

Some of the royals are likely to attend.

To think of his 25 year son is due to inherit the title and all. My Lord!

Last edited:
Charles and William would probably attend but as for the others - not really. The Queen doesn't attend funerals except of close family (not even first cousins necessarily qualify as 'close family' e.g. the late Earl of Harewood). Philip is much the same. The other royals don't seem to have as close a relationship as Charles and William who both named members of the late Duke's family as godparents to their heirs.

Charles, Camilla, his sons and Kate certainly :flowers: Possibly Anne and Tim, she is close to Gerald's sister and likely him. Maybe Andrew??

As for his title and such go to Hugh, I'd think his widow and 3 daughters would be financially covered as well by his private fortune.

Last edited:
Death and Funeral of 6th Duke of Westminster

Anne and Tim are in Brazil for the Olympics. The future engagements has her there through the 12th. Harry is in Africa probably not going to come back since Charles and William can attend.

True about Harry. As for Anne, I doubt the funeral will happen before the weekend. Not that she will rush back, but 12th is Friday, so if back on time, perhaps we will see her.

This is awful news. At 64 gone much too soon. May he rest in peace. What a responsibility for his only son, still a very young man. I expect Charles and Camilla at the funeral at a minimumum, and perhaps William, though not the Queen or Prince Philip.

Some of the royals are likely to attend.

To think of his 25 year son is due to inherit the title and all. My Lord!

I'm going to guess he's been groomed his whole life to take over (unlike his father) and has various support staff already in place.

The Queen inherited a pretty big job at what...25?

LaRae

Charles, Camilla, his sons and Kate certainly :flowers: Possibly Anne and Tim, she is close to Gerald's sister and likely him. Maybe Andrew??

As for his title and such go to Hugh, I'd think his widow and 3 daughters would be financially covered as well by his private fortune.

I'm going to say they all have adequate trust funds.

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to guess he's been groomed his whole life to take over (unlike his father) and has various support staff already in place.

LaRae

It would be pretty hard to blow through 9 billion in his lifetime anyways.

The death duties and taxes on such a huge fortune will be pretty massive however, unless arrangements have been put in place (and I would guess they have.)

This would certainly be a devastating blow to his wife and children. I think a couple of the Duke's daughters are married, aren't they?

:previous: Yes 2. Tamara to Will's friend Edward Van Cutsem and has 2 sons. Edwina is married to Dan Snow and has 2 kids. Viola is only 24.

LaRae

I mean, I know the family is in mourning, but that inheritance is something else!

:previous: Yes 2. Tamara to Will's friend Edward Van Cutsem and has 2 sons. Edwina is married to Dan Snow and has 2 kids. Viola is only 24.

Thanks heaps, I knew Tamara was married to a van Cutsem and vaguely remembered another wedding but couldn't remember whose!

I mean, I know the family is in mourning, but that inheritance is something else!

When I see numbers like that it's just monopoly money to me. It's hard to really comprehend that much money.

LaRae

Monopoly is a good word. If London was a monopoly board, the family would have many 'hotels and houses' on the squares (as well as all over Britain and Ireland).

His Grace's death wasn't a surprise to me in a way. The photo's of him at various events the past 3 mon. shocked me. He was gaunt and his color was almost pale to gray. The Daily Fail kept writing about his "terrific weight loss and healthy look", it was plain to me His Grace's health was far from that.
Condolences to his family.

Back
Top Bottom