The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-02-2020, 06:09 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
It is one those historical peculiarities. The continued existence of an English Catholic aristocracy & gentry, usually far removed from the centres of power in remote & peripheral areas, is a remarkable tale of survival. They intermarried & carried on their religious life discreetly. They became a caste within a caste. Evelyn Waugh's Brideshead Revisited is about one of these English Catholic dynasties. It wasn't until the terrible famine & the arrival of huge numbers of Irish people that the Catholic population of England grew substantially.
No Lord Marchmain's family are not catholic.. He turned Catholic to marry Lady Marchmain...

Old 05-02-2020, 06:41 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
No Lord Marchmain's family are not catholic.. He turned Catholic to marry Lady Marchmain...
Yes I know but it's a well known description of an English catholic aristocratic family. That could have been made clearer but there are many examples of continuous catholic dynasties of course not just the Howards.

Old 08-27-2020, 04:51 AM
Majesty

The joint coronation of King Richard III and Queen Anne Neville on July 6, 1483 was a first in 175 years.
Old 11-21-2020, 04:48 PM
Serene Highness

Thinking about the coronations of previous Kings and Queens.

King Edward VII
King George V
King George VI
Queen Elizabeth II

Is Charles going to get the same big Coronation?
Is William going to?

Or, is this long in the past? So now, the same sort of ceremony as with European Monarchy?
Old 11-21-2020, 07:02 PM
Imperial Majesty

While the monarch of the UK is also the Supreme Governor of the Church of England they will have a coronation with a religious aspect as this ceremony isn't just about crowing a monarch but investing a new Supreme Governor of the CoE.

I doubt that it will ever again be on the scale of Elizabeth's but it will still be a large event.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:38 AM
Courtier

The first segment, on Edward VII, is a re-creation using actors. The film maker was denied permission to film the actual Coronation in The Abbey.
Old 11-22-2020, 04:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
While the monarch of the UK is also the Supreme Governor of the Church of England they will have a coronation with a religious aspect as this ceremony isn't just about crowing a monarch but investing a new Supreme Governor of the CoE.

I doubt that it will ever again be on the scale of Elizabeth's but it will still be a large event.
I am also of that opinion. There will be a coronation, not on the Elizabeth II scale, but it will exist.
Old 11-22-2020, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

The Coronation of Queen Mary I on October 1st 1553 was the last Catholic English Coronation.

The Coronation of the Catholic King James II and Queen Mary in April 1685 was a Protestant Ceremony, though I think he also had a private Catholic ceremony one at the chapel at Whitehall.

The Coronation of Mary Queen of Scots on September 9th 1543 at Stirling Castle chapel was the last Scottish Roman Catholic ceremony.
Old 11-25-2020, 03:12 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post

The Coronation of the Catholic King James II and Queen Mary in April 1685 was a Protestant Ceremony, though I think he also had a private Catholic ceremony one at the chapel at Whitehall.
That I didn't know. Very interesting that James had an RC chapel built inside Whitehall.
Old 11-25-2020, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
That I didn't know. Very interesting that James had an RC chapel built inside Whitehall.
Which caused much controversy during that fiercely anti Catholic period.
The chapel was designed by Sir Christopher Wren and constructed between 1685 & 1687,it was destroyed by fire in 1698.
Old 11-25-2020, 03:29 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Which caused much controversy during that fiercely anti Catholic period.
The chapel was designed by Sir Christopher Wren and constructed between 1685 & 1687,it was destroyed by fire in 1698.
Yes a great loss. It would have been marvelous if the palace had survived. The banqueting house looks rather forlorn today.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:30 PM
Majesty

Princess Margaret wore Queen Maud of Norway purple velvet ( nos royaux norvegiens)

Tags
british monarchs, ceremonies, coronation, king george vi, regalia