Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting in London: April 16-20, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rudolph

Majesty
City
Country
Canada
The Queen is throwing open the doors of Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle to Commonwealth leaders as the UK looks to forge new trade relations ahead of Brexit.

Prime ministers and presidents from more than 50 countries will gather for meetings in the London and Berkshire royal residences during a summit in 2018.

It will be the first time the buildings have been included in the list of venues for the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (Chogm) and the decision was made following discussions between No 10 and the palace.
Read more: Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle added to Commonwealth summit venues - The News

Would she allowed to wear a tiara for the occasion?

I don’t think so. Not even Diana was allowed to wear a tiara for her very first State Visit before her wedding. She could wear a necklace and bracelet though.

Usually a state banquet is when all the bling comes out and shines. This is going to be one, big, major event in the UK and I'm happy to hear that Harry will definitely be stepping up to participate with Meghan expressing an interest in accompanying him. Whether or not she wears a tiara is yet to be determined but, unless I'm unaware of some protocol, most likely she probably will.

This is awfully close to when Kate is expected to deliver her third child so if William and Kate are missing, we know why. :D

Looking forward to following the events.

CHOGM events aren't usually all that interesting. The Queen meets all the Heads of Government individually and then collectively for a photo op. There is then a dinner with HM present and then she leaves while they actually do the talking.

CHOGM is usually over 3 - 4 days with the royals there for one day only - the first one - and gone before the important issues are raised.

Sometimes HM is asked to raise some issues personally with different HOGs to see the way things are lying but she isn't involved in anything important.

This will probably be her last CHOGM so they will make it special for her I am sure (was supposed to be in Sri Lanka but had to be moved and so was moved to London). Future CHOGMs will see Charles and Camilla attend as heir and then as monarch.

As William hopes to be the future Head of the Commonwealth he should be there - regardless of whether Kate is having a baby or not - duty always has to come first and if he hasn't realised that yet then he isn't up to the job, clearly.

As William hopes to be the future Head of the Commonwealth he should be there - regardless of whether Kate is having a baby or not - duty always has to come first and if he hasn't realised that yet then he isn't up to the job, clearly.

I disagree, William is not even the heir yet, so if Kate is in labor or childbirth, his place is with her.

CHOGM events aren't usually all that interesting. The Queen meets all the Heads of Government individually and then collectively for a photo op. There is then a dinner with HM present and then she leaves while they actually do the talking.

CHOGM is usually over 3 - 4 days with the royals there for one day only - the first one - and gone before the important issues are raised.

Sometimes HM is asked to raise some issues personally with different HOGs to see the way things are lying but she isn't involved in anything important.

This will probably be her last CHOGM so they will make it special for her I am sure (was supposed to be in Sri Lanka but had to be moved and so was moved to London). Future CHOGMs will see Charles and Camilla attend as heir and then as monarch.

It was supposed to be Vanuatu in 2017, not Sri Lanka. They said that following Cyclone Pam, the damage to their infrastructure was such that it couldn't be held there. David Cameron offered London but delayed till 2018 (next one Malaysia 2020).

I don't see Meghan or Harry taking part in the formal HOG/HMQ element of CHOGM. It has never gone lower than 2nd tier (HMQ/PoW). However, I can see them attending the Forums, particularly those concerning Youth and Women

This is a link to the Forum info. https://www.chogm2018.org.uk/forums

As for William - it's possible that he might attend to make up the 4th place - I'm assuming Prince Philip wont be there.

Even as I typed Sri Lanka I thought that didn't make sense but the phone rang and I had to answer it and then didn't check before clicking post.

I disagree and if Kate' in labor or giving birth, then he should be with his wife. I believe that the people of the UK and in the Commonwealth nations would understand the reason for his absence.

One thing we won't have to worry or debate over with Meghan possibly attending a state banquet and that is if she's gotten her RFO yet. I think the big question will be if she wears a tiara or not. She may not wear one leaving it to be that the first time she does wear a royal tiara is at her wedding. :D

I had to laugh at the headlines though stating that Meghan could replace Kate. They fail to allude to the fact that at the time of this state banquet, Kate could be very busy doing something else that prevents her from attending. I can just picture Kate ready to go into labor at the state dinner and standing up and going "Do you deliver?" OK. Bad joke. I'm in a silly mood. ?

I don’t think Meghan would wear a tiara attending a state banquet prior to her wedding, maybe big diamond barrettes....love the joke!

I doubt she will be wearing a tiara before her wedding. I assume she will do like Princess Sofia did when she was engaged and had to attend a tiara banquet. She didn't wear one. This happens right before the wedding. They wouldn't do that and I don't really blame them. Her tiara reveal should absolutely be her wedding.

It is smart that Meghan will be involved in all these events so quickly. She really getting a feel for all types of engagements of sorts well before the wedding. I am sure her head is swimming.

And yes Kate will likely be busy giving birth. Even if she still pregnant during this, she will be heavily pregnant and I can't imagine they would want to risk anything.

I doubt she will be wearing a tiara before her wedding. I assume she will do like Princess Sofia did when she was engaged and had to attend a tiara banquet. She didn't wear one. This happens right before the wedding. They wouldn't do that and I don't really blame them. Her tiara reveal should absolutely be her wedding.

It is smart that Meghan will be involved in all these events so quickly. She really getting a feel for all types of engagements of sorts well before the wedding. I am sure her head is swimming.

And yes Kate will likely be busy giving birth. Even if she still pregnant during this, she will be heavily pregnant and I can't imagine they would want to risk anything.

I think it speaks to the Queen's (and likely Philip and Charles and all the major royal players) impression of Meghan and their trust regarding her professional ability to handle herself in the limelight with movers and shakers. :flowers: If true, this is certainly about as positive an indication of Meghan's welcome and approval in the BRF as we could get, not so?

I don't think William should miss the birth of his third child for any Commonwealth events but he could very easily attend if Kate is not in labour even late on in her pregnancy. At the end of the day Kate is going to be sitting there alone and William would be able to get to the hospital quickly if needed.

I don't think William should miss the birth of his third child for any Commonwealth events but he could very easily attend if Kate is not in labour even late on in her pregnancy. At the end of the day Kate is going to be sitting there alone and William would be able to get to the hospital quickly if needed.

Prince William never attended Commonwealth Heads of Government meetings. The Queen always took that as her personal responsibility and, in recent years, she delegated it to Charles due to the increasing inconvenience for an older person of making long trips. I don't see why she would want William to get involved at this point.

Prince William never attended Commonwealth Heads of Government meetings. The Queen always took that as her personal responsibility and, in recent years, she delegated it to Charles due to the increasing inconvenience for an older person of making long trips. I don't see why she would want William to get involved at this point.

Why should William get involved? Because the Queen is a very realistic person and looks to the future. She will probably not personally attend any other Commonwealth Head meetings in the future. And just like she delegates to Charles, this is a good opportunity for Charles to let William (and perhaps also Harry) be included in some way. Since the meeting is in London, it won't be all or nothing. They can attend some of if, meet up with key figures and get a taste of the whole thing.

Last edited:
From what I've seen in the past with the BRF and events, no matter what happens, they've got it covered for all contingencies. The only "if" is the birth of the third Cambridge child which would take precedence over everything else for William and Kate.

From what I understand too is that the royal family isn't involved in all the proceedings of CHOMG.

Lots of Harry and William. Mostly focused on youth. I like it. No Kate (obviously) and looks like no Meghan either though apparently BP won't confirm she won't attend at all. Beatrice and Eugenie to attend the formal dinner as well. Busy week for young royals. Obvious Charles, Andrew, and Edward in attendance as well. I image Anne too but not currently listed.

Lots of Harry and William. Mostly focused on youth. I like it. No Kate (obviously) and looks like no Meghan either though apparently BP won't confirm she won't attend at all. Beatrice and Eugenie to attend the formal dinner as well. Busy week for young royals. Obvious Charles, Andrew, and Edward in attendance as well. I image Anne too but not currently listed.

It’s likely Meghan will attend some events with with Harry and the family.

Is this the first time Beatrice and Eugenie have attended this dinner?

This is the link from the Royal Website

https://www.royal.uk/commonwealth-heads-government-meeting-2018

William attending an event on the 17th (as per Majesty link) isn't there and I cant find any specific reference to Beatrice and Eugenie at all.

Does someone have a link to the Beatrice and Eugenie attendance?

EDIT - ignore last question - found it. :)

Last edited:
Some of the royal reporters have additional info added to their announcements. I wonder if they specifically asked?

I just read the whole release elsewhere...nothing at all mentioned about Beatrice/Eugenie or Meghan. Although I wonder if Meghan (and the York Girls) will be at this event:

The Queen, accompanied by members of the royal family, will host the CHOGM Formal Opening in the Ballroom at Buckingham Palace.

LaRae

I just read the whole release elsewhere...nothing at all mentioned about Beatrice/Eugenie or Meghan. Although I wonder if Meghan (and the York Girls) will be at this event:

The Queen, accompanied by members of the royal family, will host the CHOGM Formal Opening in the Ballroom at Buckingham Palace.

LaRae

I think she’ll accompany Harry, but probably won’t be included in the CC.

It is great that Beatrice and Eugenie will attend the formal dinner. I hope that is a sign they will start attending state banquets also in the future.

I think she’ll accompany Harry, but probably won’t be included in the CC.

If she attends the dinner this would be her first formal occasion, not so? :ermm: Blingy? Fancy dress?

I think Meghan will attend some of the forums, esp with Harry. It would be great if she went with Camilla on the 18th to this:

"The Duchess of Cornwall will attend a roundtable meeting and the closing session of Women's Forum at the QEII Centre."
(Source: Majesty MAgazine)

I don't think she will attend formal events yet.

Back
Top Bottom