British State Visits & Tours: General Discussion, Suggestions & Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am surprised with the French visit, considering the Prime Ministers remarks about Macron being a foe. People usually do not visit their foes. Perhaps the present minister of Foreign affairs thinks differently about it, though I assume the PM has to give her OK as well.

I am surprised with the French visit, considering the Prime Ministers remarks about Macron being a foe. People usually do not visit their foes. Perhaps the present minister of Foreign affairs thinks differently about it, though I assume the PM has to give her OK as well.

I wouldn’t pay any attention to what the French and English [and I am just mentioning thrm] say about eachother. They can’t stop being rude but really it’s mutual envy.

I have not read anything rude in the French newspapers about the UK. Only the other way around.

I have not read anything rude in the French newspapers about the UK. Only the other way around.

Not UK…English. It’s always been a sibling rivalry relationship. I’d pay no attention.

Seems that the first State visit abroad could be France :

King Charles chooses France for first state visit after bonding with Macron :

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...first-state-visit-destination-might-surprise/

"The Foreign Office, which has the final say over the destinations for royal visits, is understood to be keen to utilise the diplomatic power of the monarchy to build bridges with major European neighbours post-Brexit. The “soft power” of the Royal family has always been used as a diplomatic tool; the Foreign Office wants to capitalise on its popularity in the wake of the Queen’s funeral, which was watched by billions worldwide."

"Visiting France would have the added benefit of drawing attention to a major tree-planting scheme in Africa designed to combat climate change backed by both the King and the French president. President Macron confirmed that he had issued an invitation to the King to make a State visit to France, saying: “I had the opportunity to invite King Charles to come to France when it is appropriate for him."

Also, I was glad to hear King Charles and Queen Consort Camilla are currently spending time in Balmoral where they can have some private time. https://www.scottishdailyexpress.co.uk/news/scottish-news/king-charles-iii-travels-scotland-28036537

It looks like it may be the Foreign Office's first choice rather than the King's properly. But it makes sense in terms of the strategic interests of the United Kingdom.
State visits, even low-key ones are always directed by the Foreign Office at the behest of the Government. It is, as Tony Blair noted, soft diplomacy the use of which is dictated by the gravitas of those despatched by the BRF.

I wouldn’t pay any attention to what the French and English [and I am just mentioning thrm] say about each other. They can’t stop being rude but really it’s mutual envy.
Hmm, sounds like that 'across the ditch' rivalry between the Kiwis and Aussies across the Tasman.

Both nations share similar interests in advancing democracy, open economies, and free navigation. Moreover, given the current situation in Ukraine one must keep in mind that the British and French where key partners during the Cold War

Hope that the royal family is alright. I was shocked when I received the news about the Queen Elisabeth II passing. Needless to say, I was done with my job for the day.

I was also surprised that the first state visit abroad is to France. But more state visits should be scheduled for the next few years, I hope.

Although this is only speculation, I'd be VERY surprised he is chose France over a Commonwealth country.

A state visit is defined as visit from one Head of State to the Head of State of another country. The King is already the Head of State of the Commonwealth realms, so a visit to any of them is technically a royal tour, not a state visit.

Do you mean his first state visit should be to a Commonwealth republic? Like India or South Africa for example? Please explain.

France is the obvious choice. A neighbour & close ally with deep defence & trade interests.

The US, Germany & Japan are also key allies & trading partners. Ireland is also an obvious destination for the new king.

As for tours then Canada & Aust/NZ should be at the top of the list. There is still a case to be made for those three countries & the UK remaining in a personal union. All is not yet lost.

"The Foreign Office, which has the final say over the destinations for royal visits, is understood to be keen to utilise the diplomatic power of the monarchy to build bridges with major European neighbours post-Brexit. The “soft power” of the Royal family has always been used as a diplomatic tool; the Foreign Office wants to capitalise on its popularity in the wake of the Queen’s funeral, which was watched by billions worldwide."

"Visiting France would have the added benefit of drawing attention to a major tree-planting scheme in Africa designed to combat climate change backed by both the King and the French president. President Macron confirmed that he had issued an invitation to the King to make a State visit to France, saying: “I had the opportunity to invite King Charles to come to France when it is appropriate for him."

Also, I was glad to hear King Charles and Queen Consort Camilla are currently spending time in Balmoral where they can have some private time. https://www.scottishdailyexpress.co.uk/news/scottish-news/king-charles-iii-travels-scotland-28036537

Speculation on the part of the Torygraph, no doubt, but it's not off the wall. After a succession of UK blunders (the handling of AUKUS, blaming France for the Channel migrant crisis and delays at the Tunnel over the summer, Truss' recent comment that the "jury is out" on whether President Macron is a friend or foe of Britain) not to mention the wider UK-EU tensions (Ireland, fishing...), intergovernmental relations are at a low ebb. A state visit to France may help diffuse tensions.

Yes it isn't at all unusual for the sovereign or RF to be sent to visit after political leaders knock about. It is a way to show all is well in the long term whatever small difficulties may arise.

I read in the Telegraph that Charles will continue some royal traditions such as Christmas at Sandringham

Yes it isn't at all unusual for the sovereign or RF to be sent to visit after political leaders knock about. It is a way to show all is well in the long term whatever small difficulties may arise.

I read in the Telegraph that Charles will continue some royal traditions such as Christmas at Sandringham

Exactly right. French & British governments squabble all the time but the fundamentals of the relationship remain the same.

Symbolised by the fact that the first thing The King would probably do on arrival in Paris would be to pay homage to the Unknown Soldier beneath the Arc de Triomphe.

Last edited:
Speculation on the part of the Torygraph, no doubt, but it's not off the wall. After a succession of UK blunders (the handling of AUKUS, blaming France for the Channel migrant crisis and delays at the Tunnel over the summer, Truss' recent comment that the "jury is out" on whether President Macron is a friend or foe of Britain) not to mention the wider UK-EU tensions (Ireland, fishing...), intergovernmental relations are at a low ebb. A state visit to France may help diffuse tensions.

AUKUS? No, it was specifically to do with the Aussies decision not to buy French subs that annoyed Paris. And to be fair it did make strategic sense for Canberra to go nuclear.

Now maybe if the Aussies sent their king to Paris to try to make up.....:D

Last edited:
A state visit is defined as visit from one Head of State to the Head of State of another country. The King is already the Head of State of the Commonwealth realms, so a visit to any of them is technically a royal tour, not a state visit.

Do you mean his first state visit should be to a Commonwealth republic? Like India or South Africa for example? Please explain.

A state, official or Royal tour/visit is still by invitation of Head of government, and QEII definitely made state visits to Australia, at the invitation of our PM.

The biggest threat to the Commonwealth is countries leaving, and there are only 15 left, with many indicating they wish to become a Republic. I would have thought a state visit, or even official visit to Australia, New Zealand etc would have been the first on his agenda

A state, official or Royal tour/visit is still by invitation of Head of government, and QEII definitely made state visits to Australia, at the invitation of our PM.

The biggest threat to the Commonwealth is countries leaving, and there are only 15 left, with many indicating they wish to become a Republic. I would have thought a state visit, or even official visit to Australia, New Zealand etc would have been the first on his agenda

I'm sorry but this is not correct. Countries choosing to become republics do not threaten the Commonwealth because the majority of Commonwealth countries are already republics (including some that were never part of the British Empire - such as Mozambique).

As the King is Head of State of Australia, Canada, New Zealand, etc, any visit would not be a State Visit but a visit by the Head of State. You are correct that it might be an official visit or a Royal tour but there is a difference between a state visit and an official visit.

This is a list of state visits made by Queen Elizabeth and although there are some to Commonwealth countries, they are visits to Commonwealth countries that are republics.

https://www.royal.uk/sites/default/files/media/outbound_state_visits_since_1952_0.pdf

Last edited:
As France is the closest continental country to England, perfectly served by the Channel Tunnel wich even makes a plane unnessesary - i don’t think a 3-day state visit to Paris would interfer with a planned tour of Australia and New Zealand wich likely would take 2 weeks and require the use of the A330

Last edited:

I believe that Charles will want to continue that tradition especially for this year.

As France is the closest continental country to England, perfectly served by the Channel Tunnel wich even makes a plane unnessesary - i don’t think a 3-day state visit to Paris would interfer with a planned tour of Australia and New Zealand wich likely would take 2 weeks and require the use of the A330

There are two pending incoming state visits from Japan and South Africa that were postponed during the pandemic and the Queen's final years.

Normally, the new monarch should visit a fellow Head of State first before receiving an incoming visit, but, in the case of Japan, I am not sure what the protocol would be since the Emperor never made a state visit to the UK before either.

I also imagine King Charles III will make return visits to Spain and the Netherlands, following the visits made by the monarchs of those countries recently during his mother's reign, but I am not sure how much of a priority those visits would be for the Foreign Office.

There are two pending incoming state visits from Japan and South Africa that were postponed during the pandemic and the Queen's final years.

Normally, the new monarch should visit a fellow Head of State first before receiving an incoming visit, but, in the case of Japan, I am not sure what the protocol would be since the Emperor never made a state visit to the UK before either.

I also imagine King Charles III will make return visits to Spain and the Netherlands, following the visits made by the monarchs of those countries recently during his mother's reign, but I am not sure how much of a priority those visits would be for the Foreign Office.

I suspect the first incoming state visit might be Japan, as it is, in effect being rescheduled. The first outgoing state visit could well be France, as is being speculated, or perhaps, Germany. Providing the diplomatic cover for settling post-Brexit relations with Europe (the NI protocal chief amongst the issues that remains to be resolved) could be a key task for the King and Queen.

I do not think Charles will be rushing to Spain or the Netherlands, unless specifically asked by the government to do so.

I suspect trips to Australia, NZ and Canada should feature in the next year or so.

It is entirely possible that the state visit to France is a two day affair.

I suspect the first incoming state visit might be Japan, as it is, in effect being rescheduled. The first outgoing state visit could well be France, as is being speculated, or perhaps, Germany. Providing the diplomatic cover for settling post-Brexit relations with Europe (the NI protocal chief amongst the issues that remains to be resolved) could be a key task for the King and Queen.

I would pleasantly surprised if one of King Charles first State Visits would be to Germany as one of thest (if not the last) State Visits of his mother to gErmany in 2015.

I would pleasantly surprised if one of King Charles first State Visits would be to Germany as one of thest (if not the last) State Visits of his mother to gErmany in 2015.

I do appreciate that France and Germany were some of the last state visits made by QE2, but they were 7-8 years ago. Quite a lot has happened since on the Brexit front, and it is entirely plausible that the FCO requires state visits to these countries again.

Maybe one of the first state visits will be to/from Sweden. The last time there was a Swedish SV to the UK was in 1975 and the last there was a British SV to Sweden was in 1983.

I’m not sure any state visits will be ”soon”… Charles and Camilla must employ their new households to begin with and i don’t expect that to be finished for awhile…
We are now in a transitional period seeing the key members of QEII’s and KCIII’s former households working side by side…

If there will be any incoming state visits before the coronation i expect it to be those from Japan and South Africa that was postponed during the pandemic..

QEII’s first outgoing State visit was to Panama 29 and 30 November 1953 - and her first incoming State visit was from the King and Queen of Sweden on 28:th June - 1 July 1954.
Though that might be explained by the Commonwealth Tours that took considerably longer time by then than what they do now as the era of modern aircrafts was still years ahead…

Isn't the tradition that the new monarchs visit the longer reigning monarchs first, before receiving them on incoming SV? That way Charles III should be invited to visit Japan first, before the new Emperor visits Britain?

Actually, I don't expect State Visits any time soon. Maybe the British will follow the example of doing short, one-day introductory visits. That will need far less planning and will be easier to schedule. Than I guess that a priority will be tours to the commonwealth countries, especially Canada, Australia and New Zealand will be high on the priority list. And there's also a coronation to plan, which will keep court and government busy enough for the time being. In short, I do not think there will be state visits for a year, or so.

Back
Top Bottom