https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-fa...ight-surprise/
Old 09-20-2022, 06:37 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Seems that the first State visit abroad could be France :

King Charles chooses France for first state visit after bonding with Macron :

It looks like it may be the Foreign Office's first choice rather than the King's properly. But it makes sense in terms of the strategic interests of the United Kingdom.
Old 09-20-2022, 06:45 PM
Administrator

I am surprised with the French visit, considering the Prime Ministers remarks about Macron being a foe. People usually do not visit their foes. Perhaps the present minister of Foreign affairs thinks differently about it, though I assume the PM has to give her OK as well.
Old 09-20-2022, 06:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
I am surprised with the French visit, considering the Prime Ministers remarks about Macron being a foe. People usually do not visit their foes. Perhaps the present minister of Foreign affairs thinks differently about it, though I assume the PM has to give her OK as well.
I wouldn’t pay any attention to what the French and English [and I am just mentioning thrm] say about eachother. They can’t stop being rude but really it’s mutual envy.
Old 09-20-2022, 06:54 PM
Administrator

I have not read anything rude in the French newspapers about the UK. Only the other way around.
Old 09-20-2022, 07:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
I have not read anything rude in the French newspapers about the UK. Only the other way around.
Not UK…English. It’s always been a sibling rivalry relationship. I’d pay no attention.
Old 09-20-2022, 09:44 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

Although this is only speculation, I'd be VERY surprised he is chose France over a Commonwealth country.
Old 09-21-2022, 02:06 AM
Courtier

Quote:

"The Foreign Office, which has the final say over the destinations for royal visits, is understood to be keen to utilise the diplomatic power of the monarchy to build bridges with major European neighbours post-Brexit. The “soft power” of the Royal family has always been used as a diplomatic tool; the Foreign Office wants to capitalise on its popularity in the wake of the Queen’s funeral, which was watched by billions worldwide."

"Visiting France would have the added benefit of drawing attention to a major tree-planting scheme in Africa designed to combat climate change backed by both the King and the French president. President Macron confirmed that he had issued an invitation to the King to make a State visit to France, saying: “I had the opportunity to invite King Charles to come to France when it is appropriate for him."

Also, I was glad to hear King Charles and Queen Consort Camilla are currently spending time in Balmoral where they can have some private time. https://www.scottishdailyexpress.co....tland-28036537
Old 09-21-2022, 02:42 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
It looks like it may be the Foreign Office's first choice rather than the King's properly. But it makes sense in terms of the strategic interests of the United Kingdom.
State visits, even low-key ones are always directed by the Foreign Office at the behest of the Government. It is, as Tony Blair noted, soft diplomacy the use of which is dictated by the gravitas of those despatched by the BRF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FigTree View Post
I wouldn’t pay any attention to what the French and English [and I am just mentioning thrm] say about each other. They can’t stop being rude but really it’s mutual envy.
Hmm, sounds like that 'across the ditch' rivalry between the Kiwis and Aussies across the Tasman.
Old 09-21-2022, 03:17 AM
Commoner

Both nations share similar interests in advancing democracy, open economies, and free navigation. Moreover, given the current situation in Ukraine one must keep in mind that the British and French where key partners during the Cold War
Old 09-21-2022, 01:48 PM

Hope that the royal family is alright. I was shocked when I received the news about the Queen Elisabeth II passing. Needless to say, I was done with my job for the day.
Old 09-21-2022, 01:53 PM
Majesty

I was also surprised that the first state visit abroad is to France. But more state visits should be scheduled for the next few years, I hope.
Old 09-21-2022, 01:54 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincessJava View Post
Although this is only speculation, I'd be VERY surprised he is chose France over a Commonwealth country.

A state visit is defined as visit from one Head of State to the Head of State of another country. The King is already the Head of State of the Commonwealth realms, so a visit to any of them is technically a royal tour, not a state visit.

Do you mean his first state visit should be to a Commonwealth republic? Like India or South Africa for example? Please explain.
Old 09-21-2022, 02:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

France is the obvious choice. A neighbour & close ally with deep defence & trade interests.

The US, Germany & Japan are also key allies & trading partners. Ireland is also an obvious destination for the new king.

As for tours then Canada & Aust/NZ should be at the top of the list. There is still a case to be made for those three countries & the UK remaining in a personal union. All is not yet lost.
Old 09-21-2022, 03:03 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Daly View Post
"The Foreign Office, which has the final say over the destinations for royal visits, is understood to be keen to utilise the diplomatic power of the monarchy to build bridges with major European neighbours post-Brexit. The “soft power” of the Royal family has always been used as a diplomatic tool; the Foreign Office wants to capitalise on its popularity in the wake of the Queen’s funeral, which was watched by billions worldwide."

"Visiting France would have the added benefit of drawing attention to a major tree-planting scheme in Africa designed to combat climate change backed by both the King and the French president. President Macron confirmed that he had issued an invitation to the King to make a State visit to France, saying: “I had the opportunity to invite King Charles to come to France when it is appropriate for him."

Also, I was glad to hear King Charles and Queen Consort Camilla are currently spending time in Balmoral where they can have some private time. https://www.scottishdailyexpress.co....tland-28036537
Speculation on the part of the Torygraph, no doubt, but it's not off the wall. After a succession of UK blunders (the handling of AUKUS, blaming France for the Channel migrant crisis and delays at the Tunnel over the summer, Truss' recent comment that the "jury is out" on whether President Macron is a friend or foe of Britain) not to mention the wider UK-EU tensions (Ireland, fishing...), intergovernmental relations are at a low ebb. A state visit to France may help diffuse tensions.
Old 09-21-2022, 04:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes it isn't at all unusual for the sovereign or RF to be sent to visit after political leaders knock about. It is a way to show all is well in the long term whatever small difficulties may arise.

I read in the Telegraph that Charles will continue some royal traditions such as Christmas at Sandringham
Old 09-21-2022, 04:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Yes it isn't at all unusual for the sovereign or RF to be sent to visit after political leaders knock about. It is a way to show all is well in the long term whatever small difficulties may arise.

I read in the Telegraph that Charles will continue some royal traditions such as Christmas at Sandringham
Exactly right. French & British governments squabble all the time but the fundamentals of the relationship remain the same.

Symbolised by the fact that the first thing The King would probably do on arrival in Paris would be to pay homage to the Unknown Soldier beneath the Arc de Triomphe.
Old 09-21-2022, 04:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
Speculation on the part of the Torygraph, no doubt, but it's not off the wall. After a succession of UK blunders (the handling of AUKUS, blaming France for the Channel migrant crisis and delays at the Tunnel over the summer, Truss' recent comment that the "jury is out" on whether President Macron is a friend or foe of Britain) not to mention the wider UK-EU tensions (Ireland, fishing...), intergovernmental relations are at a low ebb. A state visit to France may help diffuse tensions.
AUKUS? No, it was specifically to do with the Aussies decision not to buy French subs that annoyed Paris. And to be fair it did make strategic sense for Canberra to go nuclear.

Now maybe if the Aussies sent their king to Paris to try to make up.....
Old 09-21-2022, 06:25 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
A state visit is defined as visit from one Head of State to the Head of State of another country. The King is already the Head of State of the Commonwealth realms, so a visit to any of them is technically a royal tour, not a state visit.

Do you mean his first state visit should be to a Commonwealth republic? Like India or South Africa for example? Please explain.
A state, official or Royal tour/visit is still by invitation of Head of government, and QEII definitely made state visits to Australia, at the invitation of our PM.

The biggest threat to the Commonwealth is countries leaving, and there are only 15 left, with many indicating they wish to become a Republic. I would have thought a state visit, or even official visit to Australia, New Zealand etc would have been the first on his agenda
Old 09-21-2022, 08:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincessJava View Post
A state, official or Royal tour/visit is still by invitation of Head of government, and QEII definitely made state visits to Australia, at the invitation of our PM.

The biggest threat to the Commonwealth is countries leaving, and there are only 15 left, with many indicating they wish to become a Republic. I would have thought a state visit, or even official visit to Australia, New Zealand etc would have been the first on his agenda
I'm sorry but this is not correct. Countries choosing to become republics do not threaten the Commonwealth because the majority of Commonwealth countries are already republics (including some that were never part of the British Empire - such as Mozambique).

As the King is Head of State of Australia, Canada, New Zealand, etc, any visit would not be a State Visit but a visit by the Head of State. You are correct that it might be an official visit or a Royal tour but there is a difference between a state visit and an official visit.

This is a list of state visits made by Queen Elizabeth and although there are some to Commonwealth countries, they are visits to Commonwealth countries that are republics.

https://www.royal.uk/sites/default/f...nce_1952_0.pdf