British State Visits & Tours: General Discussion, Suggestions & Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Isn't the tradition that the new monarchs visit the longer reigning monarchs first, before receiving them on incoming SV? That way Charles III should be invited to visit Japan first, before the new Emperor visits Britain?

Actually, I don't expect State Visits any time soon. Maybe the British will follow the example of doing short, one-day introductory visits. That will need far less planning and will be easier to schedule. Than I guess that a priority will be tours to the commonwealth countries, especially Canada, Australia and New Zealand will be high on the priority list. And there's also a coronation to plan, which will keep court and government busy enough for the time being. In short, I do not think there will be state visits for a year, or so.

Queen Elizabeth II was visited by several heads of state before she paid a State visit to their countries herself - so i don’t think it is a hard rule that the newest monarch must be the first to visit

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_state_visits_received_by_Elizabeth_II

But i agree that i don’t expect loads of state visits (if any) to be resumed before the coronation

Queen Elizabeth II was visited by several heads of state before she paid a State visit to their countries herself - so i don’t think it is a hard rule that the newest monarch must be the first to visit

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_state_visits_received_by_Elizabeth_II

But i agree that i don’t expect loads of state visits (if any) to be resumed before the coronation
I'm curious as to what will happen with the cancelled Japanese SV, as both monarch's are fairly new to the throne. What we have seen with the other recently ascended monarchs from the Netherlands, Belgium, Spain and Japan is that none of them received an incoming SV from another monarchy before going there on an outgoing SV. Usually the visits are planned a long time in advance, even though we don't hear about them. So, if a country is interested in a British State Visit, but already has couple of other SV on their schedule,

Also, I think that a lot depends on what visits are already being planned by both parties. In many countries we often see approximately four per year: two incoming, two outgoing, two in spring, two in fall/winter. I assume that most countries are already busily planning their State Visits for the next 1-2 years. Clearing the calendar for an additional British SV might not always be possible. So maybe it partly depends on luck, whether calendars match or not.

I don't know if that has been discussed before on this forum, but some media outlets reported that, shortly after King Charles III's accession, King Felipe VI invited him to visit Spain , possibly on a state visit , see also this link .

I don't put too much stock on these reports since a state visit would have to be agreed first between the governments of the two countries. Furthermore, since King Charles is already making state visits to Germany and France in 2023, it is unlikely that he will visit another European country this year, but I wonder if an outgoing state visit to Spain might be planned for 2024.

Although that would not be my most anticipated outgoing British state visit, I think a state visit to Spain would provide two interesting possibilities: 1. King Charles III being inducted as the 1,202nd Knight of the Golden Fleece, and 2. The Princess of Asturias attending the state dinner and making a tiara appearance, as she would be already 18 by then. Although she has not attended any state dinner since the abdication, there is a remote possibility that Queen Sofía would be at the banquet too given that King Charles III is her second cousin.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I don't know if that has been discussed before on this forum, but some media outlets reported that, shortly after King Charles III's accession, King Felipe VI invited him to visit Spain , possibly on a state visit , see also this link .

My guess is that King Charles got many invitations to State Visits as most countries would like to have him and the Queen visit. But then it is up to the Government which we realized and which will not.

I'm not sure will we have another Spain-UK state visit that soon.

The only thought I've is, probably the first non-Europe state visit from KCIII will be Japan, which has been planned but unfortunately postponed couples time IIRC?

I'm not sure will we have another Spain-UK state visit that soon.

The only thought I've is, probably the first non-Europe state visit from KCIII will be Japan, which has been planned but unfortunately postponed couples time IIRC?

The question is will the scheduled Viist from Emperor Naurhito to the UK rescheduled or is now King Charles turn to visit Japan first as he is shorter on the throne then the Emperor.

I suspect a state visit to Ireland will take place in the not too distant future. Also expect trips to Aus, NZ and Canada in the next year or so.

Perhaps the state visit to France could take place in Spring 2024.

Either a State Visit or an Introductory Visit to the Republic of Ireland is on the cards in June.

I suspect a state visit to Ireland will take place in the not too distant future. Also expect trips to Aus, NZ and Canada in the next year or so.

Perhaps the state visit to France could take place in Spring 2024.

There are talks to reschedule the French State Visit in september.

Either a State Visit or an Introductory Visit to the Republic of Ireland is on the cards in June.

No need for an introductory visit, the King is well known to the Irish leadership. I suspect Ireland we will get a full state visit sometime soon.

Last edited:
Hopefully the Japanese SV to UK will be rescheduled. Still there's a hope!

What will be the first state visit to a monarchy that King Charles III and Queen Camilla will make?
The current monarchs of Spain, the Netherlands and Belgium made their first state visit to a monarchy in Japan.

What will be the first state visit to a monarchy that King Charles III and Queen Camilla will make?
The current monarchs of Spain, the Netherlands and Belgium made their first state visit to a monarchy in Japan.

I think a State Visit to Netherlands is not too far away… Netherlands is UK’s biggest trading partner together with France and Germany (where C and C has recently been) and USA (where Biden is rumoured to have recived an invitation for a State visit to UK)

I don't expect the Netherlands willbe much of a priority for the UK. They [the UK] have bigger fish to fry and there will be lots of commonmwealth members to visit. But it would be lovely indeed.

In Europe Spain would perhaps be more logical as the country is much more significant politically. Due to the historic and sensitive ties a state visit to Ireland would be nice. Outside of Europe the US, India and Japan would be the obvious first candidates perhaps.

Within Europe I would like a SV to Denmark to be the first SV to a monarchy, as Queen Margrethe II is now the doyenne of European monarchs.

The lack of recent SVs from or to Belgium remains curious. The last outgoing one was in 1966 and incoming one in 1963. The country is closeby, is economically important to the UK and there is much shared history. The RF does of course usually frequent the various WWI memorials in Belgium.

Last edited:
2024 will definitely see Charles and likely also Camilla visiting Samoa for the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting.

Given the distance between UK and Oceania, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if a Royal Tour of Australia and New Zealand, and maybe also visits to Tuvalu, Solomon Islands and Papua New Guinea will be carried out at the same time as well.

There has been a rumour that Charles wants to visit Kenya next year - possibly in February - as that is where the late Queen was when she succeeded. If he does that I can see a visit to a number of African Commonwealth countries as well.

The rumours I have also heard is that next year he wants to focus on the Commonwealth so Canada is also possible sometime and maybe the Caribbean.

2024 will definitely see Charles and likely also Camilla visiting Samoa for the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting.

Given the distance between UK and Oceania, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if a Royal Tour of Australia and New Zealand, and maybe also visits to Tuvalu, Solomon Islands and Papua New Guinea will be carried out at the same time as well.

Dovetailing a trip to Aus & NZ alongside the CHOGM in Samoa makes complete sense.

The lack of recent SVs from or to Belgium remains curious. The last outgoing one was in 1966 and incoming one in 1963. The country is closeby, is economically important to the UK and there is much shared history. The RF does of course usually frequent the various WWI memorials in Belgium.

Belgium is just not important, either econoimically or politically to warrant a state visit. This seems to be the view taken by successive UK governments, and hence, there hasn't been a state visit for over half a century. I can't see that changing anytime soon.

Within Europe I would like a SV to Denmark to be the first SV to a monarchy, as Queen Margrethe II is now the doyenne of European monarchs.

Much as I would love a UK state visit to Denmark, I do not see it as an urgent priority for the UK at the stage. I would expect state visits in Africa, the M-E and possibly, Japan (though the trade deal is already signed).

The king has visited France and has an incoming SV from South Korea ,I think the next outgoing SV will be to Ireland.

I keep hearing that the visit to Kenya will be sometime this month, despite the fact that there has still been no official announcement. If that's true, I wonder if it will be something less than a state visit.

The king has visited France and has an incoming SV from South Korea ,I think the next outgoing SV will be to Ireland.

I think there will be a state visit to Ireland in the not too distant future, but lets see what the King has in mind.

I think there will be a state visit to Ireland in the not too distant future, but lets see what the King has in mind.

The much talked about Summer visit never happened but perhaps a State Visit to the Republic went into planning mode.

The much talked about Summer visit never happened but perhaps a State Visit to the Republic went into planning mode.

I think Charles does have to get into the routine that QE2 followed for much of her reign:

> Two outgoing state visits or commonwealth tours a year: One in the spring, one in the autumn
> Two incoming state visits a year: One in the spring, one in the autumn.

This year was unusual because of the Coronation, so I can see the rationale for only one incoming state visit. Otgoing state visits to France & Germany have already happened, but since these are close by, I was hoping for another one in the next few months.

That has always worked well in the past and I see no need to change the SV format if the late queen.

I also find the lack of a state visit from Belgium to the UK strange. King Philippe and Queen Mathilde will probably first make state visits to Norway, Sweden or Spain before having the opportunity to go to the United Kingdom.

I wish they visited Denmark, Sweden and Norway

I also find the lack of a state visit from Belgium to the UK strange. King Philippe and Queen Mathilde will probably first make state visits to Norway, Sweden or Spain before having the opportunity to go to the United Kingdom.

The Belgians are unlikely to be offered a state visit to the UK anytime soon.

Back
Top Bottom