British Royalty and the United States

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ysbel

Heir Apparent , TRF Author
City
New York
Country
United States
Since Charles and Camilla are visiting the White House this week I thought it would be fun to start a thread on previous meetings between British royalty and the Presidents.

The first one:

Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip visited the U.S. during the U.S. bicentennial celebrations in 1976. It was a highly successful event. Cary Grant, Bob Hope and other stars were simply wowed by the Queen.

description and pictures of the state dinner for Queen Elizabeth during the bicentennial from the Ford Library

HRH The Prince of Wales, Bertie, Victoria's son, came here during President Buchanan's administration and hence that why there is a bedroom at the White House named the for the the Prince of Wales.

When he married Alexandra, he invited the former president's niece, Harriet Lane, to the wedding as a thank you for the hospitality she had shown him during his visit.

Lady Marmalade said:
HRH The Prince of Wales, Bertie, Victoria's son, came here during President Buchanan's administration and hence that why there is a bedroom at the White House named the for the the Prince of Wales.

When he married Alexandra, he invited the former president's niece, Harriet Lane, to the wedding as a thank you for the hospitality she had shown him during his visit.

That's a great story Lady Marmalade. I believe Prince Albert visited the United States right before the Civil War which was an uneasy time to make an American visit. Buchanan, if I remember, was our only bachelor President (they preferred men of position to be married) so it makes sense that his niece would be in charge of the festivities at the White House during his term.

I found an early photograph of the Prince by Matthew Brady who later became famous for his Civil War photos.

Matthew Brady's photo of Prince Albert during his American visit

I also think that the Prince of Wales made another visit in either Wilson's or Theodore Roosevelt's administration.

Here's another visit that went really well. The visit of Queen Elizabeth and King George to the Franklin Roosevelt White House in 1939.

King George was really impressed with Roosevelt. He said Roosevelt was the type of man that was very easy to talk to and one was never uncomfortable or shy in his presence. King George was really shy so Roosevelt's social ease must have made the official appearance a lot easier to stand. Before the White House visit, the royal visit had not gone rather well but that was the first social success they had as King and Queen.

King George's and Queen Elizabeth's visit to the U.S. in 1939 from the Franklin D. Roosevelt library

Last edited:
The Duke of Windsor also visited the USA when he was Prince of Wales. I remember reading (I think it was about that trip) that George V wasn't too pleased about his casual approach.

I love the story when King George VI and the Queen Mother came to Hyde Park, the Roosevelt's home in New York, and they were greeted with tea and other things and the President said, "My mother does not think you we should serve alcohol." And the King told him, "I know, my mother does not approve either." I got such a kick out of that story.

Apparently the grande dames of American society were shocked when they learned the Roosevelts were going to serve hot dogs to their Majesties, who got a big kick out of it.

That was a wonderful trip and testament at the time to show how strong the bond was (AND STILL IS) between our two countries.

ysbel said:
That's a great story Lady Marmalade. I believe Prince Albert visited the United States right before the Civil War which was an uneasy time to make an American visit. Buchanan, if I remember, was our only bachelor President (they preferred men of position to be married) so it makes sense that his niece would be in charge of the festivities at the White House during his term.

I found an early photograph of the Prince by Matthew Brady who later became famous for his Civil War photos.

Matthew Brady's photo of Prince Albert during his American visit

Just a small point but the Prince of Wales was not called Prince Albert but Prince Albert Edward. His father was Prince Albert. When I first read your post I was going to jump up and down and say that Prince Albert never visited the US when I realised you were referring to the visit of his son - Prince Albert Edward Prince of Wales etc from 1841 - 1901 when he succeeded his mother and gave up the name Albert.

I believe he said something like 'I will be known as King Edward ... I was christened Albert Edward with the intention that I would reign as King Albert Edward but there can only be one Albert.'

As he spoke off the cuff at his accession council there is only the various reports of people who were there but you get the gist of the speech I am sure.

Re;

That was a wonderful trip and testament at the time to show how strong the bond was (AND STILL IS) between our two countries.
A visit from a King doesn't makes us bosom buddies. He would have been told where he was going and would have had no choice in the matter.

A Book!

Lady Marmalade said:

For anyone intersted in the 1860 Canadian and US Tour of [Albert Edward] the Prince of Wales it is covered in great detail in "Edward the Caresser: The Playboy Prince Who Became Edward VII" by Stanley Weintraub, 2001.

I love these stories. :)

Lady Marmalade said:
I love the story when King George VI and the Queen Mother came to Hyde Park, the Roosevelt's home in New York, and they were greeted with tea and other things and the President said, "My mother does not think you we should serve alcohol." And the King told him, "I know, my mother does not approve either." I got such a kick out of that story.

Especially that one Lady Marmalade. :)

Another one was where Prince Albert Edward first entered the U.S. in Detroit, so many Americans came on board his boat that several in the royal party were knocked into the water. Luckily the Prince wasn't one of them. But 2000 people crashed into a celebration dance in Chicago and the dance floor collapsed right in front of the Prince.

Harper's Weekly was one of the magazines that covered the Prince's visit that has a website now. This page gives you a sense of what the tour was like and why Victoria finally let her 19 year old son go.

http://www.harpweek.com/09Cartoon/BrowseByDateCartoon.asp?Month=September&Date=22

The prince's trip, however, almost did not occur because of the adamant opposition of his mother, Queen Victoria. The idea for a royal trip to North America originated a few years before when a Canadian regiment fought for Britain in the Crimean War (1854-1856). Canadian officials requested of the grateful British government that the queen pay them a visit, but she let it be known in no uncertain terms that she would not undertake the ocean voyage. The Canadians then asked that one of her sons be sent to represent the monarchy. Victoria insisted that they were too young, but vaguely acquiesced to send Edward, the eldest, when he reached maturity.

The queen might not have fulfilled the promise had not her husband, Prince Albert, and the British Colonial Secretary, Henry Pelham Clinton (the Duke of Newcastle), worn down her resistance by persistently pleading that it would bolster imperial bonds between Britain and her Canadian colonists. Although Canada was bad enough, she was even more repulsed by the suggestion of adding the United States to the itinerary. Prince Albert and the foreign secretary, Lord John Russell, finally convinced her that it would help improve relations between the two countries. The deciding factor in her approval of the North American tour may have been her displeasure with Edward, whom she increasingly considered a ne'er-do-well. By early 1860, Victoria wanted the boy out of her sight.

BeatrixFan said:
A visit from a King doesn't makes us bosom buddies. He would have been told where he was going and would have had no choice in the matter.

Their Majesties and the Roosevelts became very close. When both of their husbands died, the Queen Mother and Mrs. Roosevelt retained a very strong friendship.

There is a book, the title which escapes me for the moment, that tells the story of the the two couples relationships.

We are still close in our common bond with each other as countries. That is a fact of life one must deal with and move on, even if they do not like it. ;)

And since we all post respectfully to each other's countries, I would ask you stop ripping apart mine as you do so subtly in previous threads and posts.

I am sensing you don't seem to care for us one way or the other?

Last edited:
Warren said:
For anyone intersted in the 1860 Canadian and US Tour of [Albert Edward] the Prince of Wales it is covered in great detail in "Edward the Caresser: The Playboy Prince Who Became Edward VII" by Stanley Weintraub, 2001.

Thank you Warren. :) I will look that up on Amazon and see if I can order it.

Prince Charles visited Chicago back in the early 80's to open and exhibit at our beloved Marshall Field and Company that signified the ties that bind our countries together. It was a great success for us to have him there and for him to dine in the Walnut Room.

Diana's last official overseas visit as an HRH, came in the spring of 1996 when she visited Chicago for a few days and attended a cancer symposium at Northwestern University and a gala dinner at the Field Museum.

Hey Bea, Bush likes to talk about our supposed "special relationship" because Blair is his poodle. I tend to agree with you....

No offense meant, Marm.

Lady Marmalade said:
And since we all post respectfully to each other's countries, I would ask you stop ripping apart mine as you do so subtly in previous threads and posts.

I am sensing you don't seem to care for us one way or the other?

Thank you Lady Marmalade for saying what I have been thinking for awhile!!!:)

Re:

Unlike my Prime Minister, I don't worship the ground the American people walk on and thats my opinion which I've got a right to express and stand by.

Moving on to the purpose of the forum....

Does anyone have any specifics of the visit Her Majesty made as Princess Elizabeth when Harry Truman was President?

I read he broke protocol by meeting them personally at the airport and then went to Blair House where the Trumans were staying while the White House was being rebuilt from the inside.

A funny story...he took the then Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip to meet his mother..who was about 90 years old, she was primed and ready and told the princess how happy she was her father was re-elected.

She was confusing King George VI and Winston Churchill. Apparently the princess was very amused and took it in stride.

Last edited:
Sometimes I think I'm talking to myself around here, for all the notice some people ever take.

ONE MORE POST GETTING POLITICAL ABOUT THE USA AND THE UK, AND I'LL CLOSE THIS THREAD LONG ENOUGH TO DELETE EVERY POLITICAL POST ON HERE. ANYBODY CARRYING ON THIS POLITICAL NONSENSE WILL BE GIVEN A WARNING. IF MORE THAN ONE WARNING HAS TO BE GIVEN OUT, START EXPECTING SUSPENSIONS. I'VE HAD ENOUGH OF THIS.

For hopefully the last time, BeatrixFan, while you're entitled to have negative views about the USA and to express them in your real-life conversations, you are NOT entitled to express them here. Go and have a look at the forum rules if this comes as some sort of surprise.

Elspeth

Royal Forums administrator

Lady Marmalade said:
Moving on to the purpose of the forum....

Does anyone have any specifics of the visit Her Majesty made as Princess Elizabeth when Harry Truman was President?

I read he broke protocol by meeting them personally at the airport and then went to Blair House where the Trumans were staying while the White House was being rebuilt from the inside.

A funny story...he took the then Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip to meet his mother..who was about 90 years old, she was primed and ready and told the princess how happy she was her father was re-elected.

She was confusing King George VI and Winston Churchill. Apparently the princess was very amused and took it in stride.

The 1951 visit Princess Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh made to Washington D.C. was a short side-trip during their extended visit to Canada.
One of my favorite stories results from a press/photography session they attended in Washington which was quite different from what they had experienced at home, with American photographers not shy at all about yelling "Hey, Princess", etc.

On their return to Canada they spent a week-end off at a lodge. Someone there witnessed the Princess come out of the lodge, and upon seeing her husband near-by, whipped her camera to her eye and shouted in an American accent, "Hey, you there! Hey, Duke! Look this way a sec. That's it! Thanks alot!"

selrahc4 said:
The 1951 visit Princess Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh made to Washington D.C. was a short side-trip during their extended visit to Canada.
One of my favorite stories results from a press/photography session they attended in Washington which was quite different from what they had experienced at home, with American photographers not shy at all about yelling "Hey, Princess", etc.

On their return to Canada they spent a week-end off at a lodge. Someone there witnessed the Princess come out of the lodge, and upon seeing her husband near-by, whipped her camera to her eye and shouted in an American accent, "Hey, you there! Hey, Duke! Look this way a sec. That's it! Thanks alot!"

That is a cute story. :)

Thank you for that one.

Gerald Ford once talked about some of his White House memories and told this story. During their 1976 visit to the White House, the Fords took Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip up to the private quarters before a state dinner.

"We got on the elevator," recalled Ford. "It goes up, gets to the second floor, the door opens, and there is our son Jack standing with his shirt off, and he says, `Oh, I'm trying to find my dress shirt and studs.' Betty apologized. The Queen said, `Don't worry, we have one just like him.' "

Last edited:
LOL!!!

That is hysterical. It shows HM has a wonderful sense of humor. Poor Jack Ford..

Totally agree Lady M,

One thing I find so unfortunate in nowdays is that people think the Queen has no sense of humour and is as plain as a piece of carboard which couldnt be further from the truth.

Her wickedly dry sense of humour exceeds the redciculous at times & her gift as a mimic, priceless!

"MII"

selrahc4 said:
Gerald Ford once talked about some of his White House memories and told this story. During their 1976 visit to the White House, the Fords took Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip up to the private quarters before a state dinner.

"We got on the elevator," recalled Ford. "It goes up, gets to the second floor, the door opens, and there is our son Jack standing with his shirt off, and he says, `Oh, I'm trying to find my dress shirt and studs.' Betty apologized. The Queen said, `Don't worry, we have one just like him.' "

LOL, I wonder if she was talking about Andrew! :D

ysbel said:
LOL, I wonder if she was talking about Andrew! :D

Yes, Andrew is the one who came to my mind too...he would have been 16 at the time.

He was the more devious...in a sexy way, of the three boys, so I could picture him being the one HM referred to. ;)

He is still so handsome as he is maturing in years......sigh...

Oh yes, ladies. Andrew was always my favorite royal. Only a couple years older than me and I let Sarah get him! ;) :D

He was drop dead gorgeous in his pics from the early 80's.....I know...we could hope, huh, ysbel? ;)

Is there some connection between Prince Andrew and the President of the US (see thread title)? :)
How easily the ladies are diverted!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom