British Royals Visit to Malta and Uganda: November 20-24, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Camilla looked fine. Yes, those are the Queen Mother's items, and did go to the Queen in a sovereign to sovereign bequest. This way no taxes had to be paid, but could be sluffed off to whomever. Quite clever. But, at any rate, Camilla looked fine. They both looked lovely.

I think the three strands would have been far more flattering with this evening gown. And the Queen Mother's diamond drop earrings instead of the one's worn. But even this gown isn't the nicest I've seen her wear.

All in all, could have done much better and I don't really like how the Duchess wears pieces which outshine the Queen.

I completely agree. I don't think there's a lot of mileage in Camilla outshining the Queen at events where they're both present. That's a trick Diana was very good at (although she didn't do it with jewels), and it didn't go down too well. Camilla may be the future Queen Consort, but the Queen is still the Queen, and the other royal ladies shouldn't forget it.

My God Camilla looks every inch a Byzantine Queen!
That dress HM is wearing is LOVELY!
Elspeth, do you or anyone know how the security is there? All those jewels that they are wearing is a fortune!!

I'm not familiar with the security arrangements, but I'm sure the royals have brought plenty of security forces with them, as well as whatever security is available locally. At events where both the Queen and the Prince of Wales are present, I doubt that much is left to chance.

I like how Camilla looks, the dress is lovely and I love seeing the jewels, also on HM. With the British royal family attending a state banquet you at least know what you can expect and that's a lot of serious bling. I like that much better than the policy of my own royal family which I honestly don't get: Tiara? No tiara? It's always a surprise and most of the time a negative one...:ohmy:

I completely agree. I don't think there's a lot of mileage in Camilla outshining the Queen at events where they're both present. That's a trick Diana was very good at (although she didn't do it with jewels), and it didn't go down too well. Camilla may be the future Queen Consort, but the Queen is still the Queen, and the other royal ladies shouldn't forget it.

Oh I agree.

I found it to be a rather ostentatious on the Duchess' behalf and that isn't something I'm inclined to commend.

What's the point of being a Princess if you can't show it

By all means, be a Princess, just don't present like a Queen when you aren't one.

The Girls of Great Britatin and Ireland is surely a feminine piece and whilst adequate in size, still remains delicate in appearance.

The Boucheron diadem is much too grand in comparison...royally grotesque infact. Add the Greville at it's five strands and it start's resembling a breast plate than any necklace and those earrings just don't fit.

A smaller tiara, a reduction of strands and different earrings would have been, without any doubt, more fitting, not to mention flattering.

Last edited:
Some might say overkill, I say it's HRH giving a {edit for consistency} slap to Richard Kay and the ilk who detract, detract, detract.

:lol: Camilla {edit foul language} slapping Richard Kay!!!!!!!!!! :ROFLMAO:

Well, personally, that five-strand thing she wore....... personally, I have to say that it is not appealing to me, but I do not think Camilla can overshadow Her Majesty. No amount of bling can overshadow The Queen of Queens. :wub:
Only the mainstream/tabloid sects of the media will try to make a match between "Queen vs. Camilla" but it's impossible. They will try because it makes for scandalous profitable articles but it doesn't hold water.
The media could make a match between Camilla and anyone, maybe Sophie, but not the Queen, because somehow, HM is above that.

The tabloids are hungry for a royal enmity now. The 80s had "Diana and Fergie". They want so much to test the "Kate vs. Chelsy" waters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Camilla wore what she has been given. She doesn't have dozens of tiaras lurking about. Yes, she could of wore two less strands. She wasn't there to upstage the queen. I am sure they all knew what she would wear. Diana was a knockout, physically, it rarely mattered what she wore. If she changed her hairstyle, she was accused of upstaging. It is all silly. I am sure none of this was a surprise to the queen.

I am sure they all knew what she would wear.

I think someone made mention that the Queen would have been the one who leant it (the necklace) to the Duchess, but it's just as likely that Charles has had much of his late grandmothers jewellery in his posession since his marriage. Or, it's just as possible that the jewels have remained at CH the whole time.

It doesn't seem logical to have people going back and forth from CH to BP aquiring pieces for the Duchess' use. I would be certain the very same jewel cabinet used by the late Queen Mother would now be serving as Camilla's own jewel chest and I wouldn't be at all surprised if that is where the Greville necklace, and any others pieces now being used by Camilla, including the Boucheron diadem, remain to be kept.

Just because HM The Queen Elizabeths' 'estate' was left to her daughter does not mean it was, in literal terms, physically handed over to BP.

Last edited:
I am speechless to Camilla's necklace but I like it very much! So great. I think Camilla's dresser proably had words with the Queen's dresser before hand and then Camilla would wear these necklace. Camilla is not that type of person who wants to outshine the queen .I think in some posts above, it was mentioned that it was nice to show the world that Britain still has its special glamours through these jewerlery. I totally agree. Really fasinating and really marvelous!

Thanks the queen for her generousity to Camilla. Happy for the family !

As GORGEOUS as the necklace was, it didn't flatter Camilla very much, drooping into her her droopy neckline to accentuate her....well, droopy bust. :ohmy:
Camilla's best asset is her warm and genuine smile which was overshadowed by too much bling. (Yes, there is such a thing as too much bling!) I thought Camilla looked a bit sheepish, myself.

Camilla is not that type of person who wants to outshine the queen

The fact remains that Camilla's jewellery outshone that of the Queen's. It's blatantly obvious..

Certainly Camilla know's her place but when comparing both women on the night, it does seem to come across as a little showy and for no real reason.

There really wasn't any need for the amount of diamonds worn by the Duchess. If the Sovereign of the Commonwealth can keep it to a minimal, then why couldn't she?

Last edited:
Well, I say Camilla's cracked it. She's the wife of the Prince of Wales, she's our future Queen Consort and by G-d she had every right to show it. The dress is gorgeous, the RFO is proudly in place, the diamonds are fantastic and that tiara was simply made for her. What's the point of being a Princess if you can't show it? Some might say overkill, I say it's HRH giving a bitch slap to Richard Kay and the ilk who detract, detract, detract. She's a Royal, she was born to be a Royal and now she's telling those critics who'd rather rip her apart than get a life of their own, that she's arrived and she's here to stay. Outshining the Queen? No - just shining as a Princess. Bravo Ma'am, bravo.

I can't agree more; last night display was a statement: She is HRH The Duchess of Cornwall, crownprincess of England: that's a fact

[QUOTEQueen out-dazzled by Camilla the diamond duchess in Commonwealth visit
][/QUOTE]

OOOOOOOOH predictable

The report also states:

"There was no question of Camilla deliberately setting out to overshadow her mother in law – the Queen personally gave her permission to borrow it from the Royal Collection.

Camilla's favourite couturier, Anna Valentine, even designed her a simple duck-egg blue dress and matching stole to set the necklace off perfectly.

To be fair, the Queen wasn't exactly slacking in the style stakes – she also wore an equally stunning tiara and the Nizam of Hyderabad's diamond necklace over a white lace dress."

The necklace is in Royal collection, so it was to be the Queen, who lent it to the Duchess. So the question of overshadowing (at least deliberately by Camilla) is virtually non-existing for me.

I think both The Queen and The Duchess looked marvelous. :flowers:
The jewels were not over the top, those were jewels, woth to be worn by a Queen and future Queen to show the whole splendor of the British Royal Family during such an important event.
And it was really a pleasant surprise to see the whole necklace: I always feared we will never see it as a whole part again.

The fact remains that Camilla's jewellery outshone that of the Queen's. It's blatantly obvious..

Certainly Camilla know's her place but when comparing both women on the night, it does seem to come across as a little showy and for no real reason.

There really wasn't any need for the amount of diamonds worn by the Duchess. If the Sovereign of the Commonwealth can keep it to a minimal, then why couldn't she?

Because the Queen gave her the pieces to wear. How can she out-shine the Queen when the Queen handed over the rocks?

Because the Queen gave her the pieces to wear. How can she out-shine the Queen when the Queen handed over the rocks?

To wear the major rocks at any one time? Pft..come on. That's a cruddy excuse, Sam.​

By all means wear the vulgar diadem, but to then go even further and wear what could be described as a breast plate of diamonds...​

Too much of one thing is never a good thing and this is a perfect example. She can't carry it off, imo. It was just too much.​

Bighair, big diadem, ugly earrings, colosal necklace and a frumpy evening gown to boot.​

OOOOOOOOH predictable

Ooooo, but true!​

Last edited:
Camilla is at an age in life where she does what she wants. She wears jewels like that because she can. She wants to wear it, so she wears it. She is not trying to impress anyone. She doesn't have to. She doesn't want to at this point. She probably figures, Hey, I put up with crap from you people. I'm gonna have some fun.:D Because she can.

It's there. The strand of diamonds is there. What would it do if not worn? Sit in a dark vault? Get dusty? You got it, flaunt it, if it makes you happy. Life is too short, for real, to do otherwise. Live it, love it, wear it. :cool:

To wear the major rocks at any one time? Pft..come on. That's a cruddy excuse, Sam.​
By all means wear the vulgar diadem, but to then go even further and wear what could be described as a breast plate of diamonds...​
Too much of one thing is never a good thing and this is a perfect example. She can't carry it off, imo. It was just too much.​
Bighair, big diadem, ugly earrings, colosal necklace and a frumpy evening gown to boot.​

Ooooo, but true!​

Why is an excuse needed? She wore a tiara and a necklace, she didn't tear off a baby's head and wear it as brooch. She hasn't committed a crime, she's worn jewellery given to her by her mother-in-law. The way some people are going on you'd think she'd done a Harry and worn an SS uniform. The Queen gave her the jewellery, she wore it, like everything she wears you either like it or you don't - the important thing is, she liked it, she looked comfortable and she had a ball.

On a more important note, we saw a welcome return to manners on this trip. Sarah Brown curtseyed to the Duchess of Cornwall - the first curtsey from the Prime Minister's spouse to a Royal for a verrrrrry long time.

I think that all this talk abt camilla overshadowing the queen is a bit ridiculous. I think that what we have seen is an attempt on the part of the royal family to show what a king charles and queen camilla will look like, moreover the setting was perfect bc there's doubts in the commonwealth as to whether he should takeover as the head of the organization once the queen is gone.
And i dont think that Camilla would deliberately set out to overshadow the queen. Its not camilla's style to do something like that at all (plus I dont think she would want to upset the queen), so i think this was deliberate but with the queen's consent. I dont think the queen adores camilla but the queen seemed very happy in the pictures of the event.
It was wonderful to see pictures of the four of them looking happy and dazzling. Personally i still think the queen looked better, camilla's gown was a bit unfortunate.

I like Camilla's dress but i think that the necklace would have been perfect for a State event like the State Opening of Parliament instead of a banquet in Africa.. I like Her Majesty's dress also but with all of those ornaments on the top of her dress the necklace in useful.

The Duchess of Cornwall's appearance at tonight's dinner is the perfect answer to the 'How much is too much?' question in the Royal Jewels section of this Forum.
Glittering she might be - or rather: Her diamonds are - but IMHO it turns into a Bling Overkill.
Doesn't strike me as very smart or sensitive to appear decked out like this in such a poor country either.

I love diamonds...but she looks very tacky. It's overkill...sometimes these pieces should simply stay in a museum. That is unless you consider yourself some kind of Elizabeth Taylor...:lol:

Charles and Camilla: ´King and Queen of Nile´
November 24
The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall have taken some time out from their formal engagements in Uganda to become King and Queen of the Nile, crossing the river at its source.

Charles and Camilla: 'King and Queen of Nile' - Telegraph

Charles and Camilla take a boat on the source of the Nile in Jinja, Uganda

POLFOTO - altid med i billedet

Charles and Camillan visit St. Joseph´s School in Naggalama

A nice pic!:wub:

Another one:

Last edited:
Charles and Camilla: ´King and Queen of Nile´
I love the second picture in the boat! Camilla with a camera. Turn about is fair play. I wonder what wildlife she's attempting to photograph. :wub::wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
Are tiaras always an official do at these banquets? Just curious if it is sometimes required...or left up to the person...

Well, usually the Queen wears a tiara at a state banquet whether the country is a monarchy or not. So I assume Camilla follows the same rule and she'll wear a tiara tonight. I doubt she'll wear the Honeycomb twice though so we may be in for another diamond fest for people to moan about.

I'm not a fan of Camilla's by any means, although my respect for her has grown over this last year. I think the impression that she tried to upstage the Queen is a bunch of sour grapes. When other ladies of the BRF are going to appear with the Queen, they are going to make very sure they don't clash in their choices of gowns, colors, jewelry, etc., so I imagine there is quite a bit of back and forth between the Queen's staff and the other ladies. Not to mention that these things are planned weeks and sometimes months in advance. How else can they have those lovely gowns ready in time, and make sure the proper accessories and jewels are packed? Not a single stitch or single jewel the Duchess wore was a surprise to the Queen. If she had a problem with any of it you can bet that Camilla would have been told and changes made post haste. How can Camilla really upstage someone she has to curtsy to?

The Queen is the Queen and that's that. She is strong in her assurance of her place and you can bet that Charles and Camilla both know it to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom