British Royal Family Current Events 9: January 2017 - July 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps Phillip will invite them over to join him.?

Mike is not allow to drink a beer as he was chosen as the driver for the both ladies to Lindo Wing. ?:whistling:

Philip stays at home when they are on the way to hospital to take care for George, Charlotte and Mia.:whistling:?

Prince Harry's speech:
"Tonight we are celebrating The Queen's Birthday but Your Majesty, if you do not mind me saying, you are not someone who is easy to buy gifts for. But I think we have the perfect present.

"You dedicated your life to serving the Commonwealth during a speech from South Africa on your 21st birthday in 1947.

"As we celebrate your 92nd birthday this evening and in recognition of your incredible life of service, I am delighted to say that the Queen's Commonwealth Trust has now been launched to support young leaders around the Commonwealth.

"This organisation, in your name, will provide a platform for those working to make a difference in their communities across 53 countries. Happy Birthday Your Majesty."

I did kinda expect Kate to make an appearance if she hadn't given birth yet, it's a party not really a working gig. But perhaps she is miserable right now.

LaRae

I did kinda expect Kate to make an appearance if she hadn't given birth yet, it's a party not really a working gig. But perhaps she is miserable right now.

LaRae

Maybe she'll be out of a giant cake in few minutes ...

Update : Nope

Last edited:
We have a lot of newish members here. Let me point out that this is an EXCELLENT opportunity to observe Harry and Meghan in the BRF environment.

Take the opportunity to notice where they are seated, where others in the family are seated and try to learn a bit from that. :flowers:

LaRae

I’m confused is this sarcasm or a genuine comment?

It’s lovely to see Lord and Lady Freddie Windsor! I’m glad Sophie has recovered well.

We have a lot of newish members here. Let me point out that this is an EXCELLENT opportunity to observe Harry and Meghan in the BRF environment.

Take the opportunity to notice where they are seated, where others in the family are seated and try to learn a bit from that. :flowers:

ITS interestinng this gets brought up. If there is any conflict in terms of seating for this evening with another event, say Commonwealth Day Service, which one do you suggest takes the win?

What a lovely night of music and dance in celebration of Her Majesty’s Birthday! Everyone looked fantastic and the kids in the videos was hilarious.

I did miss the presence of Prince Philip and the Duchess of Cambridge, but I’m sure they watched the BBC One Coverage.

I’m confused is this sarcasm or a genuine comment?

It’s lovely to see Lord and Lady Freddie Windsor! I’m glad Sophie has recovered well.

Why would it be sarcasm?

LaRae

Yea, I don’t think expecting Kate to come at this point is realistic. Even if this isn’t technically work, getting dressed up and sitting straight on a chair for a few hours is a strain compared to sitting comfortably on your own couch. Plus the noise leve was probably pretty high. Would anyone want to go to a concert when they are right around their due date?

It looks like Sophie Winkleman is there, so I'm hoping that means she's made a full recovery from her accident.

I recently saw a photo of her attending the races, so I assume she is well.

LaRae

I didn't expect Catherine as she's due any day now. I'm more surprised that Zara wasn't there as there's no real consensus on when she's due. I'm now thinking Zara must be due within the next few weeks.

I didn't expect Catherine as she's due any day now. I'm more surprised that Zara wasn't there as there's no real consensus on when she's due. I'm now thinking Zara must be due within the next few weeks.

She's been seen out this week back/forth with the kids at school so I thought she might make an appearance tonight.

Zara not being there is a surprise and it does make me think she's not going to have a 'sometime this summer' baby.

LaRae

Well, there's a big difference between a quiet school drop-off and going into labor on national television. lol

With Zara, it would be adorable if she and the baby shared a birthday. May 15th.

It was wonderful to see almost everyone, including the extended family, celebrating HM's birthday tonight. Including some faces we haven't seen for a while; I noticed Tim Taylor and his daughter Estella in the Royal Box as well as the Earl of Snowdon and his daughter.

HM's expression at Charles calling her "mummy" is hilarious! She definitely has a "Charles, you're too old to be calling me that" look on her face. :D

At the Commonwealth service everyone sat in the order of succession. At the birthday concert the seating arrangements switched up a bit, but with the queen sitting between Charles and William it's showing the continuity of the Crown: the sovereign, her heir and the heir's heir.

When Charles becomes king can he change the order of precedence? The queen changed it I think twice.

The seating arrangements for the concert were quite relaxed, I thought. Edward, one of the Queen's children, sat up the back. Beatrice, Eugenie, Jack to the side. Sophie and Louise behind the Queen. I don't think too much should be read into any of it, to be honest.

I like that Charles and William are sat next to the The Queen in the absence of Prince Philip

Last edited:
It was wonderful to see almost everyone, including the extended family, celebrating HM's birthday tonight. Including some faces we haven't seen for a while; I noticed Tim Taylor and his daughter Estella in the Royal Box as well as the Earl of Snowdon and his daughter.

HM's expression at Charles calling her "mummy" is hilarious! She definitely has a "Charles, you're too old to be calling me that" look on her face. :D

That would be a bit rich though as she was heard calling her own mother 'mummy' well into her 70s. There was a documentary done for the Queen Mum's 100th birthday and they have a scene where the Queen says something like 'oh mummy' and she would have been older than Charles is now.

At the Commonwealth service everyone sat in the order of succession. At the birthday concert the seating arrangements switched up a bit, but with the queen sitting between Charles and William it's showing the continuity of the Crown: the sovereign, her heir and the heir's heir.

When Charles becomes king can he change the order of precedence? The queen changed it I think twice.

He can change the private order of precedence - as the Queen has done - but not the public order as that is set at the College of Heralds as it involves a lot more people than just members of the BRF.

Last edited by a moderator:
He can change the private order of precedence - as the Queen has done - but not the public order as that is set at the College of Heralds as it involves a lot more people than just members of the BRF.

Please, provide your source

Is this Jack's first evening event with the royal family?! It looks like fiancé(e)s are included from now on (as is common in most royal families) in most events; only the dinner was apparently not deemed proper if not yet married as both Harry and Eugenie attended alone.

Please, provide your source

I guess it's the follow up of the House of Lords Precendence Act 1539. So, it seems there is indeed an Act that prescribes the order of precedence.

I've always liked this overview on Wikipedia.

Last edited by a moderator:
The act provides for precedence in the House of Lords. Most hereditary peers no longer sit in the Lords. Same for royal peers.

This article gives sources:

Male Members of the Royal Family

The traditional order is:
Sovereign's sons (Precedence Act 1539)
Sovereign's grandsons (settled practice since a warrant of 13 Dec 1726 placing the dukes of Edinburgh and Cumberland before the duke of York)
Sovereign's brothers (Precedence Act 1539)
Sovereign's uncles (Precedence Act 1539)
Sovereign's nephews (in male or female line; Precedence Act 1539: "or the King's brothers' or sisters' sons")
grandsons of former sovereigns who are dukes (since 1850 when the duke of Cambridge was placed before the archbishop of Canterbury)
grandsons of former sovereigns who are not dukes (HRH and Prince of GB by letters patent, 30 Oct 1917; precedence by custom)
Within each class, siblings are arranged by order of birth and otherwise individuals are arranged by order of succession to the throne (e.g., among grandsons and nephews).

Order of Precedence in England and Wales

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom