British Royal Family Current Events 10: July 2018 - Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They were in a tent, not really outside in open air. Also in a few pictures there was some lack of social distancing on the desired 6 feet. Naturally on this day with the new rules being announced there would be criticism. Honestly though it would have just made more sense to set an example as the leader she is to wear one, but that’s neither here nor there.

Yes I have read the criticism, but based upon the official government guidelines the Queen, Duke of Cambridge and all present at the event were adhering to the current COVID 19 rules for outdoor events. Those events do not require attendees to wear a mask.

Indeed yes HM was adhering to the guidelines. If the government change the rules we may well see her in a mask.:cool:

Indeed yes HM was adhering to the guidelines. If the government change the rules we may well see her in a mask.:cool:

I agree. The BRF much like their counterparts in Europe, Asia and the Middle East will follow the guidelines issued by their respective national or provincial/state governments when conducting visits. If the British government requires a mask for outdoor events, then I expect that the Queen and the working members of the BRF will be wearing masks.

There is definitely no legal requirement to wear a mask outdoors in England (or in other parts of the UK, although it's reported that that may soon change in Scotland), and it's only required indoors in certain circumstances.

The new rules have got nothing to do with masks. All that's changed today is that certain areas have been reclassified as high risk, so people there are no longer allowed to meet indoors. Neither Berkshire (where Windsor is) nor Wiltshire (where they are today) are amongst those areas anyway.

Piers Morgan moans about everything!

I think at 94, HM still should have worn a mask...and if William wasn’t, then he should have, too...

There is definitely no legal requirement to wear a mask outdoors in England (or in other parts of the UK, although it's reported that that may soon change in Scotland), and it's only required indoors in certain circumstances.

The new rules have got nothing to do with masks. All that's changed today is that certain areas have been reclassified as high risk, so people there are no longer allowed to meet indoors. Neither Berkshire (where Windsor is) nor Wiltshire (where they are today) are amongst those areas anyway.

Piers Morgan moans about everything!

:lol: Very true and I wasn't surprised to read that along with Piers Morgan that Omid Scobie and Graham Smith (the leader of Republic) (none of whom are medical professionals) were among those criticizing HM today.

Even Julia Hartley Brewer (a Republican/anti-monarchist) from TalkRadio is defending the Queen. She was quoting/retweeting a now deleted TalkRadio tweet (I assumed it's about Adam Boulton who was criticising the Queen for not wearing a mask)

Julia Hartley-Brewer @JuliaHB1
Criticised by whom? Sky News? They've have spent the entire day attempting to "mask shame" the Queen. SHE IS OUTDOORS AND SHE IS NOT STANDING ANYWHERE NEAR ANYONE ELSE. What the hell is wrong with people? 2:59 AM · Oct 16, 2020·Twitter for iPhone​

Adam Boulton's tweet quoted Chris Ship's announcement on the Queen's engagement.
Adam Boulton @adamboultonSKY
No mask.
9:56 PM · Oct 15, 2020·Twitter Web App​

And don't get me started on Omid Scobie and Graham Smith (CEO of Republic UK)!!! :whistling: :nonono: ? :furious:

Last edited:
I agree. The BRF much like their counterparts in Europe, Asia and the Middle East will follow the guidelines issued by their respective national or provincial/state governments when conducting visits. If the British government requires a mask for outdoor events, then I expect that the Queen and the working members of the BRF will be wearing masks.

One can wear a mask even if it is not required by the government to do so. As a 94-year-old, the Queen should not be out in public, but, if she wants to do it, wearing a mask should be common sense.

One can wear a mask even if it is not required by the government to do so. As a 94-year-old, the Queen should not be out in public, but, if she wants to do it, wearing a mask should be common sense.

That’s how I feel. I wonder if HM didn’t do so because she thought it would make the government look bad...

On one hand: bunch of personnel of top laboratory and exclusive agency of Ministry of Defence which also has closely involved in covid response.
One the other hand: bunch of teenagers talking podcast.

Covid related, I know which one I will listen and follow.

And why question the Queen? She's the one who's at the higest risk so shouldn't ppl there wear one to protect her instead of she wore one while the other didn't. They are younger so mask wouldn't cause any problem to their breathing unlike for elders and also have more contact to other ppl unlike TQ who's been isolating.

Interestingly Richard Palmer and Dan Wootton have tweeted in the Queen defence.

Last edited:
It is appalling that the 94 year old monarch and an immediate (?) heir to the throne are out in public (in a TENT of all places!) without a mask.

The Queen should have lead by example if not for others but for her own self because self because she is 94!

The Duke should not also think he is immune. Men in his age group have contracted the virus and have died. Lord knows he has alot to live for so why not take ALL the precautions if you insists on carrying out public engagements?

These are individuals who are well informed and know just how devastating this diseases is. One of their own have contracted the virus and had to be quarantine etc...so they have first hand experience.

This is just plain irresponsible behavior.

It is appalling that the 94 year old monarch and an immediate (?) heir to the throne are out in public (in a TENT of all places!) without a mask.

The Queen should have lead by example if not for others but for her own self because self because she is 94!

The Duke should not also think he is immune. Men in his age group have contracted the virus and have died. Lord knows he has alot to live for so why not take ALL the precautions if you insists on carrying out public engagements?

These are individuals who are well informed and know just how devastating this diseases is. One of their own have contracted the virus and had to be quarantine etc...so they have first hand experience.

For goodness sake, her medical doctors at Buckingham Palace has "decided that the masks are not needed". The 48 people on the premise have been tested and the results returned negative. The Queen may be medically exempt from wearing a mask.

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-10-15...blic-engagement-outside-residence-since-march

TLLK's post have mentioned previously that The Queen and Duke of Cambridge followed the government's guidelines.

Coronavirus (COVID‑19)
There are three simple actions we must all do to keep on protecting each other
Wash hands (keep washing your hands regularly)
Cover face (Wear a face covering in enclosed spaces)
Make space (stay at least 2 metres apart - or 1 metre with a face covering or other precautions)​

https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus

For most part of the engagements, they were not in "enclosed space". I do think the large tent is not an "enclose space". On most occasions, they are social distancing. If she was medically exempt to not have to wear mask, is not "One rule for them, one rule for another". After all, it is the government making the rules and you cannot really accuse the Queen of hypocrisy. If anything the Queen has followed the government guideline or taking precaution by reducing the number of public engagements and keeping within the "HMS Bubble's" capacity.

Last edited:
What baffle (?) me about the mask-no mask debacle in every royal engagement is why nobody (or the one who complained) seems to notice or conveniently ignore that the royals were not the only one who didn't wear mask in those said engagements.

Take this dstl engagement for example. All complains were about why the Queen and William didn't wear mask. Didn't anyone notice that they met ppl from dstl as in The Defence Science and Technology Laboratory? They has been closely involved in covid response in UK (I assume they also gave some input on the covid regulation stuff). They are the expert, they know about covid more than TQ and W. Yet none of them were wearing mask. If I have problem with the no-mask, I would question them first before the royals.

I imagine there'll still be complain if TQ and W wore mask while others didn't.

What baffle (?) me about the mask-no mask debacle in every royal engagement is why nobody (or the one who complained) seems to notice or conveniently ignore that the royals were not the only one who didn't wear mask in those said engagements.

Take this dstl engagement for example. All complains were about why the Queen and William didn't wear mask. Didn't anyone notice that they met ppl from dstl as in The Defence Science and Technology Laboratory? They has been closely involved in covid response in UK (I assume they also gave some input on the covid regulation stuff). They are the expert, they know about covid more than TQ and W. Yet none of them were wearing mask. If I have problem with the no-mask, I would question them first before the royals.

I imagine there'll still be complain if TQ and W wore mask while others didn't.

And those people who criticised the Royal Family (cough, cough, Graham Smith, Piers Morgan, Adam Boulton, Omid Scobie and Benjamin Butterworth) are not medical experts themselves, as other posters have pointed out!!! ?

Benjamin Butterworth wrote for the ipaper, Washington Post and the Guardian. Typical Guardian contributor defending/praising Meghan whilst attacking the Royal Family and the Queen at their expense :whistling:. He was on TalkRadio with Dan Wootton

TalkRADIO @talkRADIO
Journalist Benjamin Butterworth: "The Queen let Britain down today when she failed to wear a mask... I'm sure Meghan Markle would wear a mask".
Should the Queen wear a mask?
@danwootton | @benjaminbutter
3:41 AM · Oct 16, 2020·Twitter Media Studio - LiveCut​

Last edited:
https://www.theroyalforums.com/foru...-part-11-july-2018-a-45290-6.html#post2348961

See Lady Finn's message in the King Carl Gustav and Queen Silvia current events forum.

. "Finally, the king got the answer to his question: why don't we in Sweden wear masks?
- Because it is much more important that we keep our distance. If we just keep our distance, we don't need a mask. The effect of masks when we are close to each other is difficult to evaluate. There are no good studies on it. And we must remember that several of the countries that have a very large spread of infection have had legislation on masks for long periods. So it is quite obvious that the masks will not save us from the pandemic. In general in society, they don't seem to have a great effect, says Anders." Anders is the The Swedish State Epidemiologist.

Anders Tegnell riktar hårda ord till kungen _Svensk Dam

I agree it is reckless. Maybe we have a different view on the other side of the Atlantic because the Covid situation in the Americas (both the US and Latin America) is far worse than in Europe in number of cases.

And, in response to the denialists (including the Swedish government), there is ample evidence now in academic publications that wearing masks not only slows down the spread of infection, but also reduces the severity and complications of the disease when people are infected, as they are exposed to a lower viral load. That is not the appropriate forum to have this discussion though.

Last edited:
I agree it is reckless. Maybe we have a different view on the other side of the Atlantic because the Covid situation in the Americas (both the US and Latin America) is far worse than in Europe in number of cases.

And, in response to the denialists (including the Swedish government), there is ample evidence now in academic publications that wearing masks not only slows down the spread of infection, but also reduces the severity and complications of the disease when people are infected, as they are exposed to a lower viral load. That is not the appropriate forum to have this discussion though.

Plus Charles has already contracted COVID, so it’s hit home. HM and William doing the bare minimum is disappointing...and it senseless. The general guidelines I imagine are for the general public - but the Queen is extremely vulnerable at 94, so those shouldn’t apply to her. She’s already taken so many precaution to remain safe, and so to be careless here is foolish. Same with William - he’s got a wife and 3 children to think about as well.

Last edited:
No legal requirement or not, it was still irresponsible of HM's advisors to let her not wear a mask. Many parts of the country are in lockdown again, and Coronavirus can travel through speaking to someone - so it's always best to wear a mask unless you are exempt. HM has influence over people and as someone in her position, wearing a mask would have been the wiser choice. William should have been wearing one as well.

Even Julia Hartley Brewer (a Republican/anti-monarchist) from TalkRadio is defending the Queen. She was quoting/retweeting a now deleted TalkRadio tweet (I assumed it's about Adam Boulton who was criticising the Queen for not wearing a mask)

Julia Hartley-Brewer @JuliaHB1
Criticised by whom? Sky News? They've have spent the entire day attempting to "mask shame" the Queen. SHE IS OUTDOORS AND SHE IS NOT STANDING ANYWHERE NEAR ANYONE ELSE. What the hell is wrong with people? 2:59 AM · Oct 16, 2020·Twitter for iPhone​

Adam Boulton's tweet quoted Chris Ship's announcement on the Queen's engagement.
Adam Boulton @adamboultonSKY
No mask.
9:56 PM · Oct 15, 2020·Twitter Web App​

And don't get me started on Omid Scobie and Graham Smith (CEO of Republic UK)!!! :whistling: :nonono: ? :furious:

That's because Julia Hartley Brewer thinks Coronavirus has been fabricated and also is anti-lockdown. She often posts false statistics of cases, of course she'd be supporting HM's lack of mask.

No legal requirement or not, it was still irresponsible of HM's advisors to let her not wear a mask. Many parts of the country are in lockdown again, and Coronavirus can travel through speaking to someone - so it's always best to wear a mask unless you are exempt. HM has influence over people and as someone in her position, wearing a mask would have been the wiser choice. William should have been wearing one as well.

Exactly, the optics still look bad. Same case like the Dutch King, legally you are allowed to travel but what a massive error of judgement to do so while the people in your country are told to stay at home.

Legally, you could have done without a mask but what a massive error of judgement not to wear one while the people in your country are told to cover their faces.
'out of touch' is what comes to my mind.

I was surprised that the Queen's medical staff ok'd both the Queen and William to go without a mask. Yes, they were outside and yes they were a proper distance apart at all times, but if that is the case, why aren't other allowed to do the same. I agree it was error of judgement on the Queen's personal part. I don't like the darn things either but I do because in my state, it is the law of governor and a nice fat fine is slapped on us if we don't comply.

I think its important to put into context where the Queen was visiting, Defence Science and Technology Laboratory, often known as Porton Down for the site on which it sits and which is home to all sorts of secret government research, is easily controlled and probably already has more measures in place to protect its staff than most other places. I think this played a huge part in why either HM came out of her residence to visit as it was already such a secure site and certainly was the reason why HM didn't wear a mask.

I know for example a friend works for a science research company who are developing a more simple saliva test for Covid which gives results in 15 mins (fingers crossed!!) and everyone who works there is routinely being tested using it as it gives a wider number of tests as a research/date base.

I don't think we saw the way HM will operate in the coming months from this visit, I don't think HM is going to start making lots of public visits and do so by requiring everyone she meets to get tested just so she can go around without a mask.

More likely the chance to visit came up and it was deemed a very safe environment to allow a visit so went ahead- a win for both dstl and the Household in that it allowed dstl to show off their work and the Household to show off HM in public again. If HM does make more visits in public I think she will wear a mask but more likely IMO there will be few visits and any will be to such places like this - where it is deemed extremely safe.

I think its important to put into context where the Queen was visiting, Defence Science and Technology Laboratory, often known as Porton Down for the site on which it sits and which is home to all sorts of secret government research, is easily controlled and probably already has more measures in place to protect its staff than most other places. I think this played a huge part in why either HM came out of her residence to visit as it was already such a secure site and certainly was the reason why HM didn't wear a mask.

I know for example a friend works for a science research company who are developing a more simple saliva test for Covid which gives results in 15 mins (fingers crossed!!) and everyone who works there is routinely being tested using it as it gives a wider number of tests as a research/date base.

I don't think we saw the way HM will operate in the coming months from this visit, I don't think HM is going to start making lots of public visits and do so by requiring everyone she meets to get tested just so she can go around without a mask.

More likely the chance to visit came up and it was deemed a very safe environment to allow a visit so went ahead- a win for both dstl and the Household in that it allowed dstl to show off their work and the Household to show off HM in public again. If HM does make more visits in public I think she will wear a mask but more likely IMO there will be few visits and any will be to such places like this - where it is deemed extremely safe.

My mother works for the department Porton Down belongs to (not Porton Down itself) and still thinks it didn't set a good example for HM not to be wearing a mask. Even though the place itself might have high hygiene standards and testing, there's still a risk for the virus to spread - I remember reading an article of a woman in Beijing who went to work thinking she was fine but turned out to later test positive and further infect 71 people (she was asymptomatic). Mask wearing is important whenever you can.

I was surprised that the Queen's medical staff ok'd both the Queen and William to go without a mask. Yes, they were outside and yes they were a proper distance apart at all times, but if that is the case, why aren't other allowed to do the same. I agree it was error of judgement on the Queen's personal part. I don't like the darn things either but I do because in my state, it is the law of governor and a nice fat fine is slapped on us if we don't comply.
Nobody else there wore masks - so why should the Queen and the Duke ?!

I agree with you about the evidence about wearing masks having a positive effect on slowing down the spread of the infection, but I also know that the US is heavily divided about that question and that there are thousands, especially from a specific political camp (I don´t want to go into politics here, though) who refuse, even boykotting, to wear a mask. Of course, here in europe, we have these kind of people, too. But their number remains relatively small.

My mother works for the department Porton Down belongs to (not Porton Down itself) and still thinks it didn't set a good example for HM not to be wearing a mask. Even though the place itself might have high hygiene standards and testing, there's still a risk for the virus to spread - I remember reading an article of a woman in Beijing who went to work thinking she was fine but turned out to later test positive and further infect 71 people (she was asymptomatic). Mask wearing is important whenever you can.

presumably people who work there are tested and the queen will have been tested, probalby WIlliam too.... so if they are maintaining a distance adn it is out of doors, they dont need to wear a mask...

All this criticism when the Queen follows the rules. Had she worn a mask, would she have been criticized for not following government protocol. "Damned if she does and damned if she doesn't" comes to mind. :sad:

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone looks lovely. Nice they were all able to get together before they go their separate ways for the holidays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom