British Royal Family Current Events 10: July 2018 - Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We didn't get much of the Queen's birthday party for Charles so why expect more this time.

The BRF don't show everything - a little glimpse is enough for them. They also know that if they did allow cameras in to show more all anyone would want to see is Kate and Meghan and what they are wearing as that is all the media and many royal followers care about. So why bother showing more when no one really cares except to see evidence of a rift (I believe they barely interacted as they were at opposite ends of a large room interacting with the guests - as were the rest of the royals - source Rob Jobson who was there on Channel 7 this morning in Australia) or what the two Duchesses wear.

Harry and Meghan are minor royals so no important enough to be taken into the display. Charles and the Queen, Camilla, William and Kate - the present monarch and the next two went in to see the regalia and the LPs, from 1958, that were on display.

We didn't get much of the Queen's birthday party for Charles so why expect more this time.

The BRF don't show everything - a little glimpse is enough for them. They also know that if they did allow cameras in to show more all anyone would want to see is Kate and Meghan and what they are wearing as that is all the media and many royal followers care about. So why bother showing more when no one really cares except to see evidence of a rift (I believe they barely interacted as they were at opposite ends of a large room interacting with the guests - as were the rest of the royals - source Rob Jobson who was there on Channel 7 this morning in Australia) or what the two Duchesses wear.

Harry and Meghan are minor royals so no important enough to be taken into the display. Charles and the Queen, Camilla, William and Kate - the present monarch and the next two went in to see the regalia and the LPs, from 1958, that were on display.

What make you think Harry and Meghan are minor royals? Not enough to be taken into the display? If you are right then I lost my respect for the BRF. They are so outdated.

Last edited:

You honestly think showing some video of the Archbishop of Canterbury’s speech would be too much? Or even showing a bit of the music performance would be showing too much? C’mon now!

Also, Harry and Meghan aren’t minor royals.

Fantastic to see the coverage of the event today and too see quite a good turnout even if the Yorks and Wessexes weren't present - I was pleasantly surprised to see Anne at the event and it was great to see her getting on so well with Meghan and Harry.
It seems that Theresa May and HM shared fashion ideas since they're both colour coordinating :D

Harry and Meghan are minor royals.

Andrew has been a minor royal since William was born and his is the son of the monarch and was born 2nd in the line of succession. Harry is only the grandson of the monarch and was never 2nd in the line of succession.

If Andrew was a minor royal from the time he dropped to 3rd then Harry was always only a minor royal as he was only ever 3rd.

Harry is not yet even the child of the monarch - and probably won't be for another decade or so.

You can't describe Andrew as a minor royal from 1982 and not apply the same criteria to Harry.

Harry and Meghan were clearly shown their place today - not senior enough to be allowed to see the regalia up close - that shows how low they are in the scheme of things. Largely irrelevant to the future of the monarchy. They have a role to play doing duties but that is all.

I tend to look at the monarchy and the major and minor royals as one would look at a stage production. Of course, the core players, the stars are the major focus of the show but without their co-stars in minor supporting roles, the production wouldn't be quite as interesting. :D

The major royal line is The Queen, Charles and Camilla, William and Kate with George, Charlotte and Louis having cameo roles as they grow up. Harry and Meghan (along with Anne, Andrew and Edward and Sophie) are the minor co-stars but their roles are still valuable to the monarchy. The production (monarchy) rolls on seamlessly because they all do work together as a team.

Harry and Meghan were clearly shown their place today - not senior enough to be allowed to see the regalia up close - that shows how low they are in the scheme of things. Largely irrelevant to the future of the monarchy. They have a role to play doing duties but that is all.

If they had been so "minor" as you said, they would have been seated directly with Anne and the Linleys in the ballroom, without the lineup including, not less, the PM.
They had to cut short the display, Camilla and the Cambridges barely saw it, seems pretty obvious.

Harry and Meghan are minor royals.

Andrew has been a minor royal since William was born and his is the son of the monarch and was born 2nd in the line of succession. Harry is only the grandson of the monarch and was never 2nd in the line of succession.

If Andrew was a minor royal from the time he dropped to 3rd then Harry was always only a minor royal as he was only ever 3rd.

Harry is not yet even the child of the monarch - and probably won't be for another decade or so.

You can't describe Andrew as a minor royal from 1982 and not apply the same criteria to Harry.

Not seeing the "regalia" is somehow a measuring stick now? Kate, William, Charles and Camilla were clearly all a bit confused walking into the room about what they were supposed to be doing. I think they were running behind and it looks like their staff (you see the somewhat frantic equerry of the Queen trying to herd them) were trying to get everyone into the main reception room.

Anyway, I was really glad to see Anne there. She had a busy day! And as always, Lady Sarah was there to support her cousin. Its so nice how close her and Charles are.

Last edited by a moderator:
. . . .
Charles was trying to wave them in with William and Catherine so obviously he doesn't see them as 'minor', nor do the media. George may be next in line after his father but he is in Kindergarten. To need to point out that he, his sister and brother are not working royals is surely redundant. Kind of makes you wonder why people were thinking of calling them the fabulous fab four.

Not seeing the "regalia" is somehow a measuring stick now? Kate, William, Charles and Camilla were clearly all a bit confused walking into the room about what they were supposed to be doing. I think they were running behind and it looks like their staff (you see the somewhat frantic equerry of the Queen trying to herd them) were trying to get everyone into the main reception room.

Anyway, I was really glad to see Anne there. She had a busy day! And as always, Lady Sarah was there to support her cousin. Its so nice how close her and Charles are.
I noticed the confusion during the stroll, I attributed it to the absence of the DoE, for decades at these events he and the Queen would walk in together, followed by the rest of the royals in order of precedence. The new normal is still a work in progress and as the Queen was alone, Charles moved up to be with her, then Camilla kind of looked around and William moved up to walk by her leaving Catherine all alone because the equerry had moved the Wessexes through the room.
In any event I’m sure Harry and Meghan can study the regalia and LP of Charles becoming POW to their hearts content, but why would they want to? Unlike the Queen they’ll never create anyone to be the POW, unlike Charles and William, Harry will never be the POW, and unlike Camilla and Catherine, Meghan will never be the Princess of Wales.

I will admit from the outset that I haven't been keeping up as much as I normally would because I have been sick for the last week. I was a bit disappointed with today's event. Somehow I was expecting something a bit grander: evening event, black tie, more people. I don't have the faintest idea where that expectation came from.

:previous: Umm . . . same place as mine did? I thought it was worth a celebration. :cheers:

I think the daytime event & dress code was to suit the people who had been invited, including people from the Prince's charities & people who had benefitted from them. If you have an evening event then that has a cost implication for those who don't live in London. Also, a black tie event wouldn't suit many people's wardrobes. The daytime event & dress code were inclusive, which is what the Prince would want the event to be.

I think the daytime event & dress code was to suit the people who had been invited, including people from the Prince's charities & people who had benefitted from them. If you have an evening event then that has a cost implication for those who don't live in London. Also, a black tie event wouldn't suit many people's wardrobes. The daytime event & dress code were inclusive, which is what the Prince would want the event to be.

I agree 100% It shows again how mindful of others the Prince of Wales is.

It looked like a nice relaxed event ..all the chatting around the room.

LaRae

If they had been so "minor" as you said, they would have been seated directly with Anne and the Linleys in the ballroom, without the lineup including, not less, the PM.
They had to cut short the display, Camilla and the Cambridges barely saw it, seems pretty obvious.

Well i was wrong. Anne and the Linleys were included in the lineup, according to this new video in the article below.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...eghan-Markle-laugh-rift-rumours.html#comments

Court Circular 5th March:
The Queen gave a Reception at Buckingham Palace this morning to mark the Fiftieth Anniversary of the Investiture of The Prince of Wales.

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall, The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, The Princess Royal, The Earl and Countess of Snowdon and the Lady Sarah and Mr Daniel Chatto were present.

The Linleys, Chattos, and Princess Anne were definitely present to support Charles. It's said that's because Princess Anne was present at Charles' original investiture ceremony, as was Princess Margaret, who is now represented by her children.

Below are engaging still photos of the royals at the reception; in one set of pictures, Princess Anne is seen having a lighthearted conversation with the Sussexes, whom she appears to get along with well; Meghan is seen in a wide-legged stance, surely feeling her pregnancy in these latter weeks:
Notice the interesting family dynamic seen in the Royal Channel Family video @Dman posted earlier (post #242); see at about 2:03, where Prince Charles is talking with Harry and Meghan before joining the Queen to walk in and view the investiture exhibit. Charles actually turns back and continues speaking with Meghan, which is further evidence to me of their close relationship, forged during the royal wedding planning and immediate aftermath when H&M postponed their honeymoon to help celebrate Charles' 70th year at the BP garden party. By this point, I think it's clear that Charles is like a surrogate father as well as a father-in-law to Meghan. The Queen's equerry appears to have a fond relationship with the Sussexes too, as they move around and converse comfortably together in the background of that video.

Here's a Town and Country article about Princess Anne attending the investiture reception. The report explains why Andrew and Edward weren't present. The Linleys and Chattos were surely attending as representatives of Princess Margaret. Includes more pictures of Princess Anne chatting amiably with the Sussexes:
https://www.townandcountrymag.com/s...nce-charles-of-wales-investiture-anniversary/

Just to briefly add to the discussion about British royal family roles: This is a family who have learned the importance of what 'one for all and all for one' truly means. By this point, I think this new generation knows and understands what their roles are in this family. The good thing is that both the Cambridges' and the Sussexes' personalities are ideally suited to the roles they are expected to play. Any adjustments that have had to be made with a new family member joining the firm have already occurred. Meghan is smart, savvy, hard-working, articulate, gracious and eager to fit in, which she has accomplished exceedingly well. The royals know exactly what an asset Meghan has been to the family and what a gem and indispensable boon she has been to Harry. Prince Charles has been quoted as saying: "Meghan is the best thing to have happened to Harry." And Charles is known to call Meghan, 'Tungsten.' It was also reported that after the Sussexes' Morocco tour, HM the Queen was so impressed, she wrote a rare letter of thanks to Meghan for her hard work ethic.

I also think that Meghan and Kate are quite cordial with each other and comfortable in their respective roles. If there were previously any tensions between them specifically, they certainly appear to be on an even keel now:
https://www.news.com.au/entertainme...d/news-story/6af251545daacfd054d708480f36f967

As has been reported, it's probably likely that Harry and William have recently experienced some personal tensions, which will surely be worked out over time. But I doubt their tensions have much to do with not knowing what their respective roles are in the family. Any tensions are likely more do to with natural growing pains that occur between siblings. The Sussexes are very important to the main family unit, and they will continue doing work that will reflect well on the British monarchy, and help enhance Britain's and the royal family's image around the world, which only adds to and takes nothing away from any of the major royals who will inherit the throne.

And now for some humor, which is all in good-spirited fun:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BuotaR0nvBw/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BupIIN6nuVM/

Last edited:
Great, I love when The Queen conduct a joint engagement with Catherine!

It's always nice to see the joint engagements, looking forward to this! Does Catherine have an interest in, or connection to, King's College?

It's always nice to see the joint engagements, looking forward to this! Does Catherine have an interest in, or connection to, King's College?

I don’t believe so. The current chairman of the council of Kings College London is Sir Christopher Geidt, previously private secretary to The Sovereign. The Chancellor is The Princess Royal.

The Linleys, Chattos, and Princess Anne were definitely present to support Charles. It's said that's because Princess Anne was present at Charles' original investiture ceremony, as was Princess Margaret, who is now represented by her children.

While they probably are representing Princess Margaret and Lord Snowdon, both Sarah and David were at the investiture in 1969 so they would have been included as original guests.

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/...-with-his-children-david-news-photo/678144201

Andrew...and Edward, or did he attend to?

I wonder if maybe Edward and Andrew were just too busy to attend, although neither had many if any engagements listed in the Court Circular from what I can see. Maybe Sarah and David were more easily able to take time off work to attend. Or as others say maybe they were there as representatives of their mother. Either way, a lovely event just wish in some ways it could have been held in Wales somewhere somehow.

:previous:

Well, the indication in reporting is that Prince Andrew and Prince Edward were not present at the original investiture (even though Andrew would have been 9, and Edward about 5), so they were not expected to attend the anniversary reception.

As Lady Marlboro notes in post #272, David and Sarah apparently did attend the investiture ceremony with their parents in 1969, despite both being young children, close to the same ages as Andrew and Edward.

Nice to see the family out riding again despite the windy weather!

:previous: Hmm, I wonder if we will see Prince Harry riding around the park and later Meghan after they move?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom