The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Old 12-22-2022, 03:14 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukari View Post
Would this mean the ladies need to ride?
Why none for Edward? After the DoE rumour and now this? Does the king want to sideline him?
Edward is already entitled to wear a scarlet uniform like we could see At Trooping the Colour this year, as Royal Honorary Colonel of the London Guards, an Army reserve unit that provides soliders for the 5 footguard regiments.

He was not on horseback but that was likely his own choice.

I would guess he’s actual to become Colonel of the Scots Guards in the future when the Duke of Kent dies or retires… Especially if he becomes Duke of Edinburgh.
Old 12-22-2022, 04:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

These seem like logical choices given the current make up of the working royals and their affiliations.

Hopefully Edward will get Scots Guards in the future.
Old 12-22-2022, 05:55 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukari View Post
Would this mean the ladies need to ride?
Why none for Edward? After the DoE rumour and now this? Does the king want to sideline him?
Edward only takes on military roles where the corps is made up on volunteers. This is what was agreed with QE and DOE - and that took a lot of discussion. The Princess Royal and Sophie are trying to get him to agree to other military roles - maybe bands ect. But he is very reluctant - and I think the family are given him time and space to figure it out. There have been a number of military groups, charities and patronages that have approached him - BP (and Edward) are currently the ones rejecting them.

I think the same is happening with regards to other duties. Edward has pretty much withdrawn. The death of the Queen has hit him hard. I think the decision to pull the DOE must have hurt - although it was not unexpected. His office is continuing on the plans they had for the last 10 years - no change so Harry leaving have had no effect there.
It is very possible that this is the role that Edward wants and is choosing for himself.
Old 12-22-2022, 06:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Edward only takes on military roles where the corps is made up on volunteers. This is what was agreed with QE and DOE - and that took a lot of discussion. The Princess Royal and Sophie are trying to get him to agree to other military roles - maybe bands ect. But he is very reluctant - and I think the family are given him time and space to figure it out. There have been a number of military groups, charities and patronages that have approached him - BP (and Edward) are currently the ones rejecting them.

I think the same is happening with regards to other duties. Edward has pretty much withdrawn. The death of the Queen has hit him hard. I think the decision to pull the DOE must have hurt - although it was not unexpected. His office is continuing on the plans they had for the last 10 years - no change so Harry leaving have had no effect there.
It is very possible that this is the role that Edward wants and is choosing for himself.
The British military is all made up of volunteers. Britain doesn't have conscription.

If you mean 'part-timers' again - incorrect. Edward has a number of military roles with regular as well as part-timers e.g. he is the honorary colonel of the 2nd Battalion of the Rifles. He is also Honorary Air Commodore, Royal Air Force Waddington which is the base where the Red Arrows are based - hardly a bunch of part-timers at that base.

Edward has far from 'withdrawn'. Since his mother died he has carried out just short of 100 engagements. Sophie, in the same time has done about 110. Anne has done just under 200 and those three have been the busiest other than the King who is over 200. William, for comparison has done 76 since the late Queen died while Camilla has done 80.

Edward has been for most of the past two decades one of the three or four busiest royals and this year is no different. He will probably end 4th, about 10 behind Sophie but well ahead of the next group who will be William on about 220, about 100 behind Edward, Camilla on 228 and The Duke of Gloucester on close to 200.

My final figures for the year will go up about the 1st January but I don't expect too many, if any changes, from those I put earlier this week. Edward has also carried out engagements on more days that anyone other than Charles and Anne.
Old 01-29-2023, 08:44 AM
Administrator

King Charles and Princess Anne attended Sunday church service in Sandringham today, January 29:

** dm article **
Old Today, 03:20 PM
Administrator

King Charles and Queen Camilla hosted a reception at Buckingham Palace to celebrate British East and South-East Asian communities today, February 1.

Princess Anne, the Earl of Wessex, the Duke of Kent, the Duchess of Gloucester and Princess Alexandra were present as well.

** gettyimages mixed gallery: GBR: The King and Queen Consort Host Reception at Buckingham Palace **
Old Today, 04:08 PM
Majesty

How wonderful that so many family members were present. I couldn't help but notice that the Duchess of Gloucester is wearing a name tag unlike the other members of the royal family. So, apparently, they were worried she wouldn't be recognized...

Tags
british royal family, current events