The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-19-2020, 03:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Gift exchange anyways. Zoom calls. Online games as a family. Traditions can and do adapt and can be enjoyed amid a pandemic and the British Royal Family is no exception and they're setting examples that all of us can follow. With Windsor now going into Tier 4 lock down even family bubbles are not allowed to visit (if I've read things right) and most certainly the traditional walk to church Christmas morning is scratched for this year. Yet we continue to hear blurbs and bits and pieces of just how the Windsor family can and will celebrate the holidays. Together. Differently but still together. We've heard that feuds are on the mend. This is what the BRF does and leads the pack for the rest of us to see and to follow in their example. That, in and of itself, is worth it's weight in gold.

2020 has been an 'annus horriblius" for so many of us yet we've not only survived but have prevailed in so many ways. What hits home is the opening lines of Charles Dickens' 'A Tale of Two Cities" published in 1859.

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only."

Old 12-19-2020, 09:37 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
This is a fantastic article about how the BRF has really stepped up this year... I promise, this is not an article about Megxit - there’s just so much to unpack, and this was the best place to start.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-fa...e_AwYqYTL1HYCY
[...]

Thank you Betsypaige and Somebody for the Telegraph article. I agree with Camilla Tominey on how the Royal Family have rise up to the pandemic and challenges in 2020, despite facing controversies that potentially could have "derailed" their plans/reputation. The Royal Family is not "stuffy" and "stagnated", as some critics and republicans have previously accused them of, but rather it has adapted to change depending on the circumstances.

Old 12-20-2020, 05:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

I tried accessing the article but was met with a scam page.

I can give summarize my own opinions of the royals 2020.

1. Kudos to the royal family utilizing Zoom to "meet" with the public and carry on with their charitable organizations.

2. In person visits whether to send food packages (done alot by the Countess of Wessex) or the "thank you tour" should not have been done. It may be difficult to not interact physically with people but it is absolutely necessary to contain the spread of the disease.

3. Megxit. I had no idea how this was going to play out. The only thing I knew definitively was that the Crown always comes out on top- and they did.
Interestingly, Megxit was not disaster that many anticipated. The couple continued to work with their charities and secured deals to establish themselves and be financially independently. In essence, they accomplished their mission.

4. Prince Andrew and the Jeffrey Epstein situation was terribly handled. I'm not sure what the perfect solution would've been but not doing a thing about the Prince's image was not it. I suspect 2021 will not be good for Andrew either- certainly if the French investigators have their way.

5. Lastly, I continue to marvel at the remarkable strength and energy the Queen and Prince Philip have on their old age. They really are a wonder and continue to be strong anchors, stabilizing forces despite the changes that happen in the periphery (divorces, people stepping down in their roles...etc).
Old 12-20-2020, 05:45 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
Thank you Betsypaige and Somebody for the Telegraph article. I agree with Camilla Tominey on how the Royal Family have rise up to the pandemic and challenges in 2020, despite facing controversies that potentially could have "derailed" their plans/reputation. The Royal Family is not "stuffy" and "stagnated", as some critics and republicans have previously accused them of, but rather it has adapted to change depending on the circumstances.
You’re welcome, and you’re exactly right about how the BRF has adapted to changing circumstances. I think they’ve struck a good balance between tradition and change, actually. As to the individuals, I think the one thing 2020 showed is that the monarchy is in good hands, and that people do look to the monarch, the BRF, in times of crisis. It’s clear that the public looks to them for certain things it can get or doesn’t expect from the government, perhaps because they are above politics.
Old 12-20-2020, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Please note that a link to the full version of the recent Telegraph article has been removed as it seems to have become a broken link. Members with access to the original article are welcome to post a summary.

Tags
british royal family, current events